“Loved this hotel!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Charlotte, NC
“Loved this hotel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the end of April in 2007 for our honeymoon. After paying for a lot of the wedding ourselves, we were looking for an affordable yet still amazing all-inclusive resort. We were so incredibly happy with our vacation at sun Palace, we couldn't have asked for more.
This is an adults-only resort which was so nice. While there were other friendly honeymooners and vacationers there, we were also able to be in our own little worlds and just enjoy the sun, food and drinks as much as possible.
We made friends with Arleen who always greeted us with a smile and rememebred our names. The staff was very friendly and very hard-working. Be sure to tip them!! They do not expect it but surely deserve it. Everything is so bright and the views are spectacular. The decorating was minimal--but it was fine bc with all the windows and open spaces, you could see the breathtaking view of the ocean and that was all you needed!! IT almost felt like you were on a cruise when you looked out the windows in the restaraunts bc you were just surrounded by blue sky and beautiful blue water.

The food was incredible. Our favorite was the Italian restaurant but really we enjoyed all of the food.
We actually never booked any day trips or excursions. We said we would look into it if it was ever a cloudy day--but we had perfect weather all 8 days we were there. And we did not complain either bc we were all about soaking up the soon and just lounging and eating and drinking. Of course we know we were lucky with the weather, but it really is a great hotel.

We had a little routine of breakfast, laying out by the pool, lunch, laying out by the beach, walking on the beach, then back to the room to enjoy the jacuzzi and some beers, get ready for dinner and then enjoy one of the bars. I really can't rave enough about this place. We did try dinner at one of the other Palace resorts...I can't remember which one but it was the Japanese steakhouse at one of the hotels that did allow children. Dinner was good, but we were more than happy we opted for the couples only/adults only atmosphere of Sun Palace.

We hope to return here soon for another wonderful trip!

• Liked — Everything!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,224)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Sun Palace from March 8-15 for our belated honeymoon. Our goal was to stay somewhere relaxing and get pampered.... we got this at Sun Palace. This was my second time to Cancun and by far the best. Sun Palace is beautiful, very modern. The rooms were clean, spacious and tastefully decorated. The staff honestly went above and beyond in almost any circumstance to accomodate, this was truly refreshing and a treat when you compare it to the service you can get in the US at times. The beach is one of the best in all of Cancun. The water was simply GORGEOUS. The higher up your room, the better the view, so request it and if they try to put you on a lower floor, STRONGLY request something higher. We were on the 8th floor and our view was glorious.

We also visited Beach Palace, Cancun Palace and Moon Palace while there and had a great time as well. Moon Palace has beautiful grounds (more so than Sun), but is more family oriented and the beach is medoicre at best compared to Sun's. There was a lot of seaweed, enough to where I wouldn't have felt comfortable getting in the water. However, the pools and grounds make up for the beach, if that is not as important to you. The water color, again, was gorgeous. Moon Palace is more family oriented, but not in an obnoxious way. We don't have children, but never felt bothered by the kids. This is likley due to the fact that the grounds are so large that is easy to spread out. Moon Palace is much larger that Sun, Cancun or Beach. It's really like a complex....and the lobby is quite a site. Cancun and Beach were both great, also larger than Sun Palace but not as large as the Moon. We really enjoyed the rooftop pool at the Beach Palace, spectacular views and just a cool place to hang out. Overall, we loved the Palace (stay at one, play at all!) concept and will definitely go back again.

The only other thing I would have have to say to anyone going to an all-inclusive about is about the food. The food is good, not great. Don't expect to go to an all inclusive in Mexico and eat lobster and great filet mignon. They have steaks and some are good, some were not that great. All of the food was good, but it did get montonous after a while. A lot of the same things. Some of the best food we had while there: the sushi restaraunt at Sun Palace was some of the best I have ever had, fantastic. The breakfast buffet had a great omelet/scrambled eggs station. One night we went to Lorenzillo's (a lobster house on the water- not part of the Palace resorts) towards downtown that was gorgeous, the food was very good. Bet hey, who's really there for food anyway?? The drinks on the other hand...were great!! :) :)

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide where to stay. My husband has traveled all over the world and he said hands down this was one of the nicest places with some of the best staff he has ever encountered.

• Liked — Exemplary Customer Service, Great Beach
  • Disliked — Food
Fenton, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Sun Palace from 2/19-3/4. We stayed in room 327 which overlooked the "activity pool" (great location ONLY if you are a people watcher, like non-"top 40" 70's music and don't mind the annoying older people looking for a college spring break reunion...) The room DID have a gorgeous view of the beach, and had great sun in the morning!

Our expectations were met except for a couple. First: THE FOOD. My husband and I enjoy our "food vacation" when we travel. This was NOT the place if you travel for the food... We found that sticking with the "make to order" routine proved to be the best at the buffets. The restaurants? You be the judge... Secondly: The SPA treatments (ie Swedish massages) were WAY overpriced and of poor quality! I started to use the shower in massage room (as I am used to doing) and got a scolding from the staff that these showers were meant for other therapies. (Good thing I didn't choose the alternative therapies because the shower was nothing but a regular shower...)

The beach is beautiful. The hotel is beautiful. The staff is friendly. The rooms are beautiful. But at what price do you pay for these ammenities? Too much for this hotel if you ask me...

• Liked — Location, large jetted 2-person tub in room with unlimited hot water
  • Disliked — Food! Spa!! Food!! Sp!!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

I was an avid reader of the Trip Adviser Cancun forum while planning this trip, so many thanks to the prior contributors. After changing hotels 5 times, I settled on the Sun Palace. The fifth time was a charm!

We arrived at the airport after waiting two hours to land. Nobody told me Cancun only had one runway….not good during spring break. We spent another 30 minutes clearing customs after their computers went down just in front of us. Unphased, we ventured toward transportation. I knew there were timeshare reps
in the airport, but was not prepared for the army of 30 blue-shirted “helpers” that literally attacked everyone that walked by. Thankfully, we found the Best Day vans and made our way to the Sun Palace in about 10 minutes.

We arrived and found the lobby to be even nicer than in pictures. We were offered champagne, my wife got her flower, and another “greeter” welcomed us after check-in. We were very hungry, so we declined her offer to show us around and that was the end of the timeshare appeal. Even when they called later to
remind us of our special gift, we just ignored it. No sales speeches the whole trip….already a winner!

Our room (329) was ready and was beautiful, clean, and modern with a great view. Previous posters noted the fluctuating water temperature in the shower and we did experience that. Hard to really note that as a problem though, Other minor issues included noise in the hallways (from no carpeting) and doors slamming at all hours. The room had a large safe, was cleaned twice a day, and exceeded or met all our expectations.

Food: We ate at all the restaurants. Food was overall good, plentiful and presentation was excellent. The fresh fruit was delicious all week, and could be found everywhere for breakfast and dinner. Best dishes: Tortilla Soup at the main restaurant, sushi rolls at the sushi place (comparable to the ones here),
Mahi Mahi at the Italian place, and the steamed carrots at the steak place. Okay…the potatoes were good too. So much to choose from on the lunch and dinner buffets. Excellent choices and all safe to eat…as far as I know. Did not hear of anyone getting sick. The pizza will not remind you of New York or Chicago, and the pasta comes al dente, but the view and service more than make up for those shortcomings. Room service was prompt, although portions are smaller than downstairs. I liked my cheese omelet on my own balcony in the mornings.

Service: Nothing more to say other than the best I have ever seen. Not one employee ever passed by without saying “Hola”. We both speak Spanish, and it was nice to engage our staff in conversation in their language, and learn some new words and phrases. I tipped frequently, but it doesn’t alter their level of
service. You still get premium service whether you tip or not. Learning about these people and seeing how hard they work, I felt good giving them extra. At the current exchange rate, the dollar isn’t worth that much there anyway!

Hotel: Always clean. Common area bathrooms are as nice as Scottsdale resorts. Never saw plates sit in the hallway for any amount of time. The air was turned down in most of the hotel, so if you are cold blooded, or don’t like cold rooms, wear a sweater at night inside. It was much cooler inside than out on most
nights. Nights reminded me of Turtle Bay Resort because there just wasn’t much to do except drink. The nightly activities were for the older crowd (they start at 9pm), except for kareokee night, which I like because my wife gets to show off her voice. She sang 6 songs and was getting requests to sing because she
was so good…but she is a performer, so she loves to oblige.
If you are looking for more action at night, you can jump on the bus in front of the hotel and head to the party zone a few minutes away. You can give the driver an American dollar and he will give you change in pesos. No American coins please. It’s cheap, safe, and they run every 3-5 minutes! Just let the driver know where you want to stop or he will keep driving.

Side note...the airport experience was carefree...easy to navigate...and what a nice building! Loved Johnny Rockets for lunch!

I could go on and on, so let me just say that this was a great hotel. If you want to relax, without kids, without much noise, and with good food and great service, Sun Palace is for you. Close to everything, yet quiet and relaxing. My wife knew nothing about the hotel when I planned the trip, and was equally thrilled. This just moved to the top of our list of best vacations!!

• Liked — Amazing staff
  • Disliked — Nothing enough to complain about
Fargo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

My husband and I are 25 and 26 years of age. This was our 6 month belated honeymoon...coming from Minneapolis, MN. We were looking for a lazy relaxing vacation and that is exactly what we got. There seemed to be mostly older couples, but everyone was talkative and friendly. We did meet/see a few other honeymooners.

The rooms were beautiful. The food was great. We ate at the outdoor Thai restaurant twice as their sushi was AWESOME. The beaches were clean and big and the ocean was the brightest turquoise I've ever seen.

No complaints.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

My husband and I returned from an 8 day stay at Sun Palace on March 8th. We have stayed at other All Inclusives but had not been to Cancun before. We are New Yorkers in our 50's and really needed our yearly rest.

Our arrival at the airport on March 1 was a nightmare. Three planes landed at the same time and it took us nearly 2 hours to get through the immigration room. Aside from the actual immigration officers at the front of the room, there was literally no one working there. There were no lines and total chaos. Once we got through immigration we had to dodge the ubiquitous time share pushers. Very annoying. Ignore them! (Our return flight experience wasn't much better. They changed our gate without an announcement and it was generally chaos at the airport.)

But okay, we got to our transport and arrived in short order at Sun Palace. The hotel is fairly small (good from our perspective) and very clean. The new rooms are well done, if lacking in any type of native, cultural feel. The view was great and we used the Jacuzzi every day to unwind.

The service was excellent. We had a problem with the room safe and they were up to fix it within moments. We only had room service deliver once for breakfast when we were going on an early tour and it went very well. Everyone was friendly and very hardworking. Do bring your dollars and tip these people for bringing you food, drinks, cleaning your room, etc.

The food was good but definitely not great. The outdoor steak place is very good. The mexican restaurant is also very good. The breakfasts were excellent. The asian/fusion place was barely okay. The appetizers and sushi are good but the main dishes were awful.

The entertainment was beyond awful. It was silly and amatuerish. The bar band was dreadful. My husband and I like to dance so we made the best of it but really....disco music? The local radio plays good salsa and jazz. They would be better off just keeping the radio on. I know there are cultural differences in terms of sense of humor, etc., but a bad Michael Jackson impersonation is not my idea of a good time.

We took the tour to Tulum which was excellent. You stop at the newest Palce Resort for lunch. Xhu Ha (I think that's how it's spelled.) It was lovely! Not adults only but I would definitely stay there if I felt like I could ever face the Cancun airport again. Tulum was fascinating, though depressing. There is a flea market on the outside with a big Subway Sandwich restaruant. I found the profusion of MacDonald's, Burger King, Wall Mart, etc. very sad both at Tulum and throught the Cancun area.

I had a massage and manicure at the spa. Very good. My husband liked the gym.

The ocean is beautiful but too rough to swim in and this was disappointing. We wound up by the pool and I really could have done without the constant disco music, not to mention bingo and other silly stuff.

All in all, we had the relaxation we were looking for but I would not return. Couples Negril is a million times better in terms of food, entertainment and true Caribbean ambiance.

• Liked — Service, rooms
  • Disliked — Entertainment
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

Just returned from a great 10-day visit. We've been visitors to Palace Resorts in the past, but this was our first stay at the Sun Palace. This adults-only property is great if you're looking for peace and quiet.
The service was above average; the staff could not do enough for us.
The property has just been completely upgraded, and the rooms are nicely appointed. We reserved a suite, expecting two separate areas, but we ended up with just a larger room. Hardly worth the upgrade.
If you're looking for a lot of activity, this may not be the place for you, although you have access to other Palace Hotels in the region, where you'll find a lot going on poolside.
Food in not gourmet, but very good nonetheless. Only 4 restaurants here, but the option to dine at the other properties gives you a choice of an additional 18-20 restaurants.
The beach is among the best in Cancun - recent storms have decimated properties north of this resort, but this one was perfect. Attendants will set up your lounge chairs with an umbrella at a spot of your choosing. If you opt to spend the day at one of the 3 pools, you won't need to show up at the crack of dawn to reserve a choice seat.
The resort offers a number of optional excursions at no charge - take the trip to Isla Mujures which drops you off at another Palace property. Break away from the group, take a taxi to town and rent a golf cart. Great way to see the island on your own. You can connect with the group later in the day for the trip back.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!