“Very, Very Good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cinco de Mayo 40% Off
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very, Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I cannot praise the hotel staff more highly, they were excellent. The hotel is very clean and the staff work amazingly hard to keep it this way.
The food was excellent, breakfast and lunch were always good and The Steak was excellent for dinner, although the Fillet Mignon in The Alamo was my personal favorite.
The beach was constantly cleaned and the beverage servers both on the beach and around the pools could not be faulted, they were all excellent.
I would highly recommend the Sun Palace.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Oh, wow!

'nuff said. I am in heaven. Thank you!

Only question is: When will you be visiting again?

Let me know.

Highest respects,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Warner Robins, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I spent our Honeymoon here at the end of July. It was absolutely amazing. The staff was awesome. The food was awesome. The beach was beautiful and not packed unlike lot's of the beaches in Cancun. It actually felt like we were in our own little world. The room was absolutely amazing and was always kept clean. Always! My wife and I were so sad when we had to leave.

The best part was the staff in my opinion. They never let my drink get too low and would made sure our table was perfect. Yes, they would even grab my straw rapper immediately after I took it off the straw. Every time we would get up to get more food at the buffet they would reset our table, refold our napkins and make sure our drinks were full. The waiters and waitresses on the beach were excellent as well. They were always making sure we were satisfied out there.

I got out to the beach early one morning before anyone else and went to grab a couple chairs and an umbrella for my wife and I. A staff member walked quickly over to me and said "you're on vacation. you are not suppose to work. let me do that for you." I told him I was completely fine with doing it on my own but he did not let me. He insisted he would do it. This is the kind of treatment we got all week.

We ran into several people that said it was their second or third time back to the resort. I am telling you, there is nothing to complain about at this place.

We also took advantage of the free couples massage. I loved it and I am a dude! haha

Everybody was friendly and made you feel like royalty. My wife and I had the perfect honeymoon. I hope we have the chance to go back there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from 10 fabulous ,kid free,stress free days at this great resort.
The staff truly can't do enough for you, and their friendly interactive manner ,in such a small resort become infectious to the guests and everybody seems to take a little more time to socialize ,much more than at any other resort we have been to!:))))
Special thanks to Luis on concierge level , Edel in all activities, Joel at the lobby bar, and Estrella on the beach bar service , you were truly amazing ,going over and beyond anything we expected:))
We also met some amazing couples from all over the world ,and thanks to you all for a great time!!
Mr Winkler ,in the words of my beloved AC/DC------------ We Salute You!!!!! :))))))))

Room Tip: Use resort credit to upgrade to concierge level!!!!!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort for 11 nights in September and we will definitely return.
All the staff are friendly and extremely helpful and the resort is clean, well maintained and luxurious. It’s made even better by being adults only :-D! No kids running around means that it is truly a place to relax and spend some quality time together.

We checked in with ease and were told that we had enough resort credits to upgrade our room. We decided to use the majority of our credits to upgrade to a concierge level room and we are very glad we did. The room was on the 6th floor and had and full view of the sea – if you looked down you would see the two smaller resort pools. The balcony was huge!!! It had a double sun lounger, table and chairs and was obscured from the view of the people either side which made it that bit more private. Great for chilling out, getting a tan and for watching the sunrise.

The room also came with; a concierge (hotel staff solely for the concierge level rooms which meant there were no long trips to the lobby desk to ask or book anything); upgraded liqueur; a DVD player; romantic dinner on the beach; 25min back massage and a choice of aromatherapy oils and pillows for the room which could be booked via the concierge on the 3rd or 5th floors. (We upgraded our pillows to the orthopaedic ones just because we could and we must say it did make a difference!!!)

Luis and Manuel who were the main people we spoke to on the concierge desks were AMAZING – they gave great customer service, always willing to help, always had a smile and were knowledgeable. They also remembered everyone names or room numbers which is impressive as they saw loads of people each day. They are an asset to the resort.
To be honest all the staff were great and helpful in their own way and really made you feel comfortable throughout the stay.

FOOD

Breakfast, lunch and room service were faultless. Large variety, eggs, meats, fish, French toast, pancakes and waffles all cooked fresh and just how you like it.

Dinners however were a bit hit and miss.

The Mexican restaurant was the worst funnily enough. Small menu and the food was cold and bland. Didn’t enjoy it at all. Went on our first night and didn’t go again

The Oriental was OK taste wise but again food was cold and bland. There are many Thai/ Chinese restaurants in London and compared to those this wasn’t good at all. Didn’t have the authentic oriental taste we would have liked or expected. The ambience however was really nice – nice lighting and table plus its outside which you appreciate especially when you come from England and don’t get to eat outside that often at all. Again only went once.

The Italian was very good. Beautiful restaurant and felt really upmarket especially with the violinist. The food was also really good. My lasagne was warm - didn’t have the "it just came out of the oven feel". food should always be served piping hot. On the other hand though my boyfriend’s pasta dish was piping hot. If we had enough time we would have gone again but we tried this restaurant quite late on in the holiday.

The Steak buffet restaurant was the best by far and where we ate most of the time. The food tasted great and there was a good variety. The food here was always hot – even on the buffet. The chefs cool your main (chicken, fish, steak) fresh and then you get your sides from the buffet. All tables also look out onto the beach so that is another plus.

POOL AND BEACH
Both beautiful and well maintained. There was always a member of staff cleaning the seaweed from the beach or checking the chlorine levels in the pool. You could always get a space on the beach but not around the main pool. You’d have to be up and out straight after breakfast to get a space by the main pool. We mainly went to the beach or stayed by the smaller pools for that reason.

HOTEL ENTERTAINMENT
Not to our taste but you could tell others enjoyed it. The fire and dance show on the beach was the really good though - and we watched it while having dinner at the Steak buffet which made it even better.

CREDITS
This was another bonus to the holiday – we upgraded our room, took a half day trip to Tulum, swam with the dolphins and went to the wet ‘n’ wild water park and still didn’t use them all!!!! What more can you ask for?

VERDICT
Overall we had an amazing time and will definitely be returning to Sun Palace. We would recommend a stay at Sun palace couples wanting to get away from it all with a bonus of having no kids about!!!
As we had such a great time and the service was impeccable we would definitely try and stay at a Palace resort again if there's the option on our next holiday. If it’s not too much more we might try Le Blanc (also a palace resort) next time - just to see how "number 1" compares!!!

OTHER BITS WE DID
We went to Xcaret – the Eco Park – which was quite expensive. We had a good day but it was extremely long - we got picked up from the hotel at 7am and didn’t return until after 10:30pm. If the show wasn't so long and late we could have been back by 7-8.

We also went to Coco Bongo and had a really good time. We went to coco bongo during the day and booked direct with them. We got VIP access, table and seats with waiter for $110 US. Had the best of both worlds, could get up and dance and could sit down during the show. Definitely worth it.

The bus service which runs to all the malls, the clubbing strip and downtown to the markets is easy and really cheap to use. Bus service is really frequent and didn’t have any issues. Just make sure you ask the driver if he is going as far as sun palace on your return journey as some buses don’t go all the way down.

Cabs are easy to get and they don’t try and rip you off because you are tourists like other places we have been too.

Cancun itself is better than I expected and will definitely be returning - its beautiful and great place to relax.

Room Tip: upgrade to concierge level with a full sea view if you can. Definitely worth it!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband and I spent 11 days/10 nights at the Sun Palace for our honeymoon and it was amazing! The resort itself is beautiful and kept up well and while this may sound odd, it smelled wonderful! Some hotels/resorts have a funny smell, but Sun Palace has a clean sweet smell throughout. The staff was friendly, helpful and very attentive and the sports & entertainment team was great! There were only 3 key people that made up the S & E team: Vanessa, Edel & Fransisco but they made sure to have activities for all guests! In addition to the awesome resprt we also received credits to use on spa, excursions, room upgrades, etc. These allowed us to enjoy more activites and really made such a difference in our overall trip. We honestly can't say enough about how wonderful Sun Palace is! We are already talking about going back!

Norristown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We rarely go to the same place twice, but we went to Sun Palace last year and had to go back again this year. The resort is kept immaculate, everywhere. The food at every restaurant is beautifully presented and delicious. You can visit other palace resorts. The service is excellent. We will go back again - the staff make it special. They can't do enough for you to ensure your stay is enjoyable. It's not as close to shopping as some of the other resorts, but it easy to get inexpensive public transportation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to sun palace and we were just as pleased! Last visit we never made it to the oriental restaurant so we tried it first and loved it. All the food was delicious again. Drinks were awesome. Service was great and there were a few faces we remembered from last time. Absolutely no complaints! I'm sure we will be back again!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!