“First class all around and mostly Non-Smoking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

You added Sun Palace to your Saves list
Sun Palace
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. Kukulcan Km 20 | Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Saint Louis, Missouri
“First class all around and mostly Non-Smoking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is a first class hotel, and the best I've stayed at in my five trips over the past 10 years. The rooms are great, and the shower is amazing and huge (fyi, honeymooners!). The food was very solid as well. My wife can be a bit particular with food, and she thought every meal was fantastic! The food was very good! We were very pleased with the morning buffet at El Alamo, and even more impressed with the Mexican food for dinner! That is Mexican food! We absolutely loved the burritos, but we warned--it's probably not for the chimicanga-loving crowd who want everything topped with tons of cheese that you find in your local restaurants. We loved the three piece band that performed there, and the Italian restaurant even had a violin player who was great as well!

The beach is amazing, and we never had a problem getting assistance with beach chairs or umbrellas for shade. The service was amazing, and the drink service is seriously second to none. We made it a point to tip on every round, and it paid off. There were times where we were in the ocean and returned 15 minutes later to drinks waiting for us without even asking. The service is so good that we wanted to tip. They deserved it! It did make us sad to see such great staff getting stiffed so much, though. Why do Americans who tip 20% at Olive Garden make excuses to not tip in Cancun??? Yea, it's supposed to be all-inclusive including gratuity, but really, people?

Finally, all of the restaurants, the majority of the hotel, and even areas around the main pool are NON-SMOKING!!! We did not expect this, and were SO pleased! Even the lobby bar is non-smoking, though they do have a special room for smokers. If you're non-smokers, seriously consider this property. MUCHAS GRACIAS, SUN PALACE!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
While I enjoyed your excellent comments I have a confession to make: I am a smoker...but most of the employees are not as well as my boss. Two years ago, Mexico passed strict laws on the subject of where you can smoke and made practically all public spaces non-smoking. Got to tell you: I wasn't happy and a little worried of how it would affect my smoking patrons..but..oh, I guess we are a dying breed. The only allowances are two floors for smokers. (We always ask wether you prefer to or not.) And certain open areas. The truth of the matter is that nowadays respect for individuals who are offended by smoke is paramount and we follow it to the t.

I also thought your notes on tipping are very eloquent. While absolutely your tips are included in the rate and tipping extra is totally optional, waiters, bartenders and in general front line employees appreciate an extra dollar or peso very much, But: No one is obliged and we are very strict about soliciting tips. That's a no, no.

Your enjoyment of our facilities is what I crave for. I do appreciate the kindness of your comments.

Sunny regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

OVERVIEW
This was our first all-inclusive, as well as first visit to Cancun. We were skeptical about both but decided to give it a try. We would definitely return to Sun Palace again if we chose to make another trip there. For the price, service, atmosphere and value, the Sun Palace readily earned its 5-star review during our 1-week stay in early May. We were looking for a smaller and quieter hotel, where food would be very good and would present enough variety that over the course of the week we wouldn't regret our decision to opt for an all-inclusive. We were not at all interested in either the night-life scene or going to malls and restaurants we could easily find in the States, though those things are a short bus ride or taxi ride away. Sun Palace was a great choice for us, and it didn't disappoint.

SERVICE & FOOD
The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful throughout our entire stay. Manager Pablo Winkler kindly and promptly responded to my litany of questions about the hotel even before we made a reservation. We regularly saw a manager touring the facilities and checking in on how they could be of assistance. And every single staff person we met or talked with was so very kind. As for the food - while the buffets did have many of the same dishes over the course of the week, there was a lot of variety to choose from, and there were always 1-2 action stations where you could get made-to-order items. I saw on multiple occasions that people asked for very specific, off-buffet items and the staff readily accommodated. The Thai restaurant has amazingly fresh tuna sashimi (and other delicious items) and it was often a pre-dinner snack for us.

THE SPACE (ROOM/HOTEL)
The room was very comfortable, and we were very happy to be on the Concierge level if only for the comfier beach lounge chairs. My only negative to the open-concept room: though beautiful and contemporary, the ambient noise from the shower/toilet areas was not ideal. Beach views and small balcony were great on our 4th floor room. There was no need to get to the beach at 6am to try and snag an umbrella-- there were plenty to go around at whatever hour, and that looked to be true no matter what level you were staying on. There were always activities going on at one of the pools for those who were looking for more entertainment, though we chose not to participate and it wasn't intrusive for us in any way. Even at the pools and lounge area, it still felt like we were right on the beach. We visited Moon Palace just south and you couldn't see the beach from the gigantic pool area. The water was also murkier there, while it was nice and clear at Sun Palace, where they were careful to keep the beach clear of seaweed.

RESORT CREDITS
The resort credits are wonderful, so I recommend going while that is still an option (supposedly through 2012). In the course of our week's stay, we were able to use them all through excursions, massages and a nice bottle of wine. The chef's dinner with wine pairings on Thursday night is an enjoyable option for credits, and we also liked the beach dinner that came with the concierge level stay. Chichen Itza was worth the extra time away for a much better overall tour/cultural experience than the shorter Tulum excursion. There was no pressure to do the sales pitch for extra resort credits, but we ultimately did choose to do that, as it offered a chance to see one of the other resorts and gave additional resort credits which I used for another few massages. The massages were great and a wonderful addition to an incredibly relaxing trip.

SISTER PROPERTIES
The fact that the Palace Resorts let you visit the sister properties was one that was attractive, though we didn't really make use of that option like I thought we might. Another couple we met, however, spent the day at Isla Mujeres as well as Moon Palace for their different free activities/restaurants and really enjoyed that option. For us, between excursions and time to relax we found we had plenty to do without hotel-hopping. And, we never tired of the restaurants and the variety of options available at Sun Palace. One thing to know-- the free shuttles to and from the other properties aren't continuous, so you do need to commit an afternoon (or cab fare) if you want to utilize that feature.

BOTTOM LINE
In sum, if it's in your price range and you're looking for a relaxing place to stay with consistently good food and service, then take a good look at Sun Palace.

Room Tip: The concierge level is worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Very eloquent and comlimentary view of our resort.
I've got to expand on one plus at our hotel chain: We have created a real all inclusive. That is, any service required to make a complete vaction is paid for when you reserve. If you think about it, with all meals included, all drinks, entertainment, room service, phone calls to the continental US, Mexico and Canada plus the extras you get with the points there are no surprises in the price. If you were to choose a traditional hotel, count on doubling the price to figure out what your trip will really cost. We offer quality accomodations, food, drinks and cover any necessities for a truly complete stay. Eating within Cancun is not cheap and we don't want you continuously to think if yo can or should do this or that. It is in the price! There are venues for those who want something different, if you so desire which are not includded. But we really offer a lot. Some spa and beauty salon treatment...I could go on and on. There is an 11 % tax and fee for certain spa and tour services. But in all, you get-I believe-every penny's worth and then some. And our service comes with a smile...no extra cost. And we're only too happy to have you with us.

Best regards...make your numbers before choosing. I hope to see you soon.
Ennis, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

First time to vacation in Cancun and at an all inclusive. My husband and I had a great time. Very clean resort, great food, attentive staff. Could relax during the day and party in the lobby bar at night. Entertainment was also very good. We loved it. I also have another point of view from wheelchair accessibility. I am unable to walk at all and the handicap accessible room we had was perfect with a great ocean view. The resort itself is very wheelchair accessible. The only thing is the Sun Palace did not have wheelchair access to the beach but the staff was great and helped my husband to get me down to the beach. All in all a great experience. Did not want to leave.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Your review is very special for me. Being adults only we do have some guests that require special assistance. I am elated that you found us easy to "navigate" with wheelchair. When we refurbished our installations, a lot of thought and learning went into this particular theme and it is quite a challenge to create the right accesses, with the right inclination so that we may be user friendly for special needs. The size of the resort helps and being an upright facility laso serves this purpose.

I can't say I am completely satisfied or that our services are 100 % prepared but your kind review tells me that we are moving in the right direction. Thank you so much for your very valuable input and your kind words on the rest of the service.

My best regards,
Benicia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Went here for my honeymoon and had a great time. It was my first time staying in an all inclusive. We stayed in room 711, had a nice ocean view, small balcony with a table and chairs. Nice Jacuzzi tub for two, bed was comfortable, they had alcohol and soft drinks in the room. Also you could make phone calls for free to the United states which was really nice.
Make sure to tell them you are on your honeymoon. They gave us a special dinner with a menu you select ahead of time. After the dinner we came back to our room to find a small cake and rose petals on the bed and around the Jacuzzi. We also got two free t-shirts and they give you late check-out if available. We asked and they told us they had someone coming in the room and they could not accommodate late check-out.
They gave $1500 resort credit that everyone gets plus two excursions since we were using someone's timeshare. We weren't able to use all the resort credit and I wish we would have upgraded the room. We did use it towards pictures on the beach, dinner on the beach and an incredible massage.
Food was just OK. Pork quesadillas with guacamole was probably my favorite thing. Steak was not very good.
We went to moon palace for a timeshare presentation. They gave us money toward Xcaret and it was well worth it. Breakfast at the moon palace was good, smoothies on tap, yumm! It was much louder at moon palace but it was much bigger and had more restaurant choices. Not sure if I would want it to be a honeymoon destination but it looked like a really nice place to stay.
I would definitely go again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
We are always very honored by honeymooners. We try to give them a little extra because we know that it is time to relax after the grand event and start getting used to the idea you now are married.

Not happy to read that our food didn't convience totally we want to give you a superb all-around experience and yes, the Moon Palace is also a great hotel. About 10 times our size. That is a matter of personal taste.

So nice that you deem us as a probable resort for a new visit. Let me know and I'll look into the food issues personally.

Receive sunny smiles from Cancun.
Greenwood, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This was the first time that my husband and I had ever been to Cancun. Im not going to lie, at first we were unsure about Sun Palace because we were looking for a "party" place being that we are in our mid twenties. This is not the place to party all day long... BUT it was definitely the place to relax. There are some shows at night and volleyball/other activities during the day that are fun. They have a DJ in the Lobby at night that would be fun if people would get off their butts and attempt to have a good time. Luckily, we met some super fun people and got them out on the dance floor! The trip is all about what YOU make of it! Vanessa on the entertainment staff was AMAZING! She helped people to start mingling! The pool with the swim up bar was the most fun place to go. Everyone was very social in that area and they played music all day. I expected the bartenders at the pool bar to be very lively and entertaining, but they were quite the opposite. They wouldnt allow you to sit at that bar and eat, they didnt socialize with the guests, nothing. They served drinks and thats about it. We went down to the Cancun Palace for one day and had a completely different experience. You could eat at the bar and it was a giant party (very loud) all day long at the pool. I thought it was strange that Cancun Palace had kids everywhere and they are the party hotel. Go there if you are looking for that. The Sun Palace is 100% for relaxation and quiet time. Like I said, it all depends on who you are around and what you make of it. We had an excellent time with all of the new friends we made! The staff was excellent at the Sun Palace too! Raul was our bartender in the lobby! He was incredible. He didnt just serve us drinks. He was totally interactive and kept us all laughing! The food was great! I must have eaten a dozen hamburgers! They were just so good! The hypnotist show was super funny, but we didn't care for the dance show. It wasnt very well put together. The spa was great and you can use your credits to get services there! I didnt pay a dime and got all kinds of stuff!! WE WILL return to the Sun Palace for a relaxing, carfree time!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Very perceptive. We are the relax resort in Cancun. Don't pretend to be anything else.
You see, we have two types of guests: The young, usually honeymooners and the more mature. That is not to say there is no one in between but as you so correctly mention, we are not about loudness. We try to give good service and respect everyone's privacy. If you want to party, we are 6 miles away from the Party Center. The best discos are there and you'll get your fill of dancing and the latest hit parade songs. A bus back and forth is less than 2 dollars round trip per person.

Then you return to a our very quiet resort and get the best of both worlds. Seems fair.

Thank you for your very nice comments and your acute perception of who we are. I hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We had an excellent honeymoon in Cancun. A large contributor to our great experience was the Sun Palace. Clean, modern rooms complimented by great staff service created a relaxing environment for my wife and I to enjoy our week on the beach. The food was above average for an all-inclusive resort. We had a lot of fun using our resort credits. The beach was well maintained and the pools were exceptional. I would recommend this hotel to my friends/family or anyone planning on staying in Cancun.

Room Tip: You must get an oceanfront room. I would recommend getting one away from the activity pool for more...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
That is all I need to hear. If you enjoyed yourselves, especially on your honeymoon then we are all well served.

Please accept our congratulations on this auspicious milestone and our hopes to see ou back often.

Best regards,
Flowood, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was mine and my husband's first international and all inclusive trip. We were there for our 10th anniversary. We had great service. The rooms were neat, clean, and the concierge level rooms were very spacious. Our room was 409 and the view was AWESOME! There are rooms with larger balconies, on the 3rd floor, but ours was plenty large enough for 2 chairs and a small table to eat meals from. We tried to upgrade using our resort credits upon checkin and a room was not avaliable for our first night (that we liked the view from, that is) so we suck with our regular beachfront jr. suite the first night and upgraded the next morning. The first room was 814 and it had an awesome view as well. Pros: small property, adults only, step out the back doors of the lobby and your on the beach. No walking for 10 mins from your room to the lobby past the pools to the beach like it is at some resorts. 15 min shuttle ride from the airport. Great beach with nice, clean, soft sand and great open water views and waves. Great service with a smile. 24 hour unlimited room service. Cons: Food, it was sub par. I don't really know what to say other than salt and pepper would go a long way. If you are going here to get fine dining, don't. You will not get it here. The room service food was better than the resteraunt food, we found. My husband said the "mexican hamburger" was the best thing he had the whole trip. It was a hamburger with guacamole on top. We tried everything from all the resteraunts. The italian resteraunt was awful! BUT if you want to go, men must wear PANTS! We didn't get this information so my husband didn't pack any pants and we had to buy $59 pants in the gift shop just to go and eat really bad food. I got the fettachine alfredo. The sauce was brown, flavorless, and had an odd watery texture. The pasta itself was sticky, yet still raw. It was just bad. The creme' brulle was disgusting. By that I mean, it came in a shot glass (yes, a shot glass) was a chunky consistancy and there was no brulle. There was no "crust" on top whatsoever and it smelled like someone had poured clam juice on top of it. Literally fishy. GROSS. That was the worst of the food experiences while we were there. We ate room service breakfast every day so we didn't try the breakfast buffet. Eggs were cooked well, fruit was nice, waffles and pancakes were not so good. Again, if you are going for the food, look elsewhere. If food is just incidental for your trip, you'll have a great time. This is the place to go for a nice beach and great rooms and service. If they could get a handle on the food issue, it would be perfect! Resort credits are only able to be used on certain items. You can't just go in the gift shop and use them like cash. You can only use $100 in the jewlrey store (which has nothing at or under $100), $100 for a box of 3 bottles of tequilla to take home, and $150 toward spa services. Otherwise you have to use them for room upgrade (I highly recommend) and excersions. Overall, would I go back.. YES... We did go over to the Moon Palace for a day. There is a shuttle. It leaves at 11:15 and comes back at 5:00. I didn't care for the Moon Palace due to it's beach. It has no waves and lots of seaweed. The sand itself was nice and literally combed with a rake but I would not have gotten in that water and had I known that I would not have wasted a whole day going there to just sit at the pool. If you like the pool more than the beach, Moon Palace has 3 lobbies each with numerous pools with pool bars and grills, but I prefer a nice beach and view so I call it a wasted vacation day. Also, we were on our 10th anniversary trip and our travel agent had that noted on our itenerary, but we were not offered the pink wrist bands and did not get the extras associated with a "special occasion" bracelet. I did not find out about this until I had gotten home or I would have requested that we got our services that came with that wrist band. Tips: Avoid the airport people that call you over and try to sell you on going to a timeshare presentation! Walk quickly out and say no thank you and KEEP WALKING! The services you want can all be booked at your hotel. The hotel staff will also offer you timeshare presentations. Politely tell them you don't want to sit thru any presentation. You appreciate thier offer of free XYZ and move on. They will call your room until you do go down and speak with them. They have useful information, so go as soon as you can, but just know they will offer timeshare items and be prepared to up front tell them NO so you don't waste any more time. We went to Explor while there. It's a full day's trip. Plan for that. You leave at 7am and don't return until about 6:00 that evening. It's a full hours drive plus a shuttle bus transfer at thier hub near the airport. We left at 7:20 (shuttle was late) and didn't get to explor until after 9:15am. Just warning you:) It was worth going though! Food there was better than the resorts by far. It's all inclusive for admission price along with drinks (non-alcoholic) and snacks (fruit, cookies). For $45 you get a USB with about 25-30 pictures that are automatically taken throughout the park. Get it! Sorry to get longwinded. I hope this information helps you make an informed decision and helps you have a better stay! Feel free to contact me for any questions!

Room Tip: 3rd floor concierge level has the largest balcony
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Very complete description of your pros and cons.
I do not dwelve in pros as that is what you pay for and should get your money's worth. But the food comments did take me by surprise. I am very concious that everyone is an expert in their own palate and most guests are extremely satisfied with our restaurants. Your description really felt like we are not doing what it takes in terms of food and certainly, as with everything else, we do want our guests to be completely satisfied. As for the dress code in the Italian restaurant it is pretty much in all our literature. I am sorry you missed it.

Notwihtstanding, I do owe you an apology for not meeting your expectations all-around and hope that despite this you will deem fit to visit us again and let me know of it before so that I can redeem our good reputation in every venue.

With best regards,

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!