“AWESOME HOTEL!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Cancun

You added Iberostar Cancun to your Saves list
Iberostar Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 17, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Smyrna, Georgia
“AWESOME HOTEL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My family stayed at Iberostar Cancun for 7 days over Spring Break (April 2013). I had never been to Cancun and was apprehensive about the hotel just because I had no point of reference but the hotel exceeded my expectations. The hotel was clean, the staff was extremely friendly (maybe too friendly for my 2 year old who hates for people to invade his personal space), always saying hi to the kids, asking if we needed anything, the grounds were clean! My 2 year old is an extremely picky eater so I had a suitcase full of snacks but they had food even the kids would love (hamburgers, hotdogs, grilled chees, fries, etc.) We dined at all 4 restaurants and went to the buffet every morning for breakfast. The restaurants were good, had a variety of foods. We went to the French restaurant and to my surprise, they made my daughter a grilled cheese sandwich. My 6 year old daughter loved the pool area (it was massive) and enjoyed swimming up to the bar to get a drink. I felt completely safe and comfortable letting her roam with her friend to the various pools and hot tubs. We had 2 rooms with an adjoining/connecting door, the view was spectacular! We had 2 occasions where our toilet overflowed but I won't take points off for that because it happens...they came up quickly to fix it. The second time it happened, they didn't leave fresh towels but again, not a deal breaker. If I had to say one negative about this property it would be that the night time activity (magic show and something else, I don't remember) didn't start til well after 9:00pm....my youngest couldn't hang that late but the older kids enjoyed it. Overall, this hotel gets all 5 stars in my opinion....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed review about our property, we are so glad to hear that you and your kids had a wonderful vacation with us.

To receive this kind of comments is very important to us; it make us work even harder as we look always forward our guests satisfaction.

Here at Iberostar Cancun we try to be a family hotel, a place where everyone in the family can have an unforgettable vacation.

We will be delighted to welcome you back for another vacation with the Iberostar staff.

Kind regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gobbler's Nob
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my 2nd trip there since Iberostar took over the property. Obviously, the first trip made the return an option and it was a great choice to go back. If anything, they have only improved and I thought that would have been difficult. The room, the food, the amenities, the atmosphere, and even the guests all seemed ever so slightly better and last time was 5 stars!

The staff and their supervisors were attentive without being pushy. The supervisors inquired daily to see that everything was perfect. During 1 evening, there was a huge storm (80 MPH winds!) and the pool furniture was blown into the pool. By breakfast, everything was back in its place. Branches and palm fronds were all cleared and it looked as pristine as the night before.

The shows were good and I would rate them as "cruise quality." You won't find them on the Las Vegas strip but neither would you find them in a local amateur production. They are a nice way to spend an hour or so after (or before) dinner.

The golf course is a great layout for a resort. It is challenging without beating you to death. The staff there is great and it is so nice to be welcomed with a cold towel after the round.

My only (ONLY) complaint is that the "gourmet" restaurant is nowhere near gourmet. It is the least palatable of the 4 specialty restaurants and the buffet is much better. It needs to be improved or turned into an ice cream shoppe. The buffet is very good and breakfast is great. The buffet, snack bar, and Mexican restaurant offer solid choices at lunch or for a mid-day snack. The pool bar is one of my favorite hangouts. The other restaurants (Mexican, steak, Japanese) are all good ... not great but certainly good.

I arrived early (noon) and anticipated a wait for my room. NOPE! It was ready and waiting. Great service.

I would highly recommend this property to anyone.

Room Tip: Balconies offer a chance to enjoy the atmosphere. Rooms without balconies are economical and very f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing such fantastic and detailed review about your stay with us at Iberostar Cancún!

It is always a pleasure to receive this kind of comments about our guests receiving the best attention but specially that we were able to make your stay enjoyable.

It makes us really happy to know that you enjoyed all the hotel facilities like restaurants, food and bar service. We would like to add our appreciation for your loyalty to Iberostar Cancún!

We hope you come back for a 3rd time so that you can have even a greater time.

Kind regards,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Enjoyed our week's stay. Rooms and hotel very clean. Staff and "POOL CREW" were friendly and very accomodating. It was nice dining "ALL FRESCO" without the threat of those nasty black birds attacking your plates.The hotel has a falconeer with his 2 eagles on site. We were so impressed to see that this practice really does discourage the birds from coming near the food service area! Unfortunately he's only been hired to work 3-4 days. The hotel should invest in proper warming/heating elements as the food at the buffet and 2 of the 4
restaurants was always cold. Really, I didnt have a hot meal the entire week. We ate at the french restaurant (eh...) the mexican restaurant looked like a small buffet style (we passes on that one) The Japanese restaurant was no better. Again, food was less than par. The sushi was gross as was the meal. The steak house was nothing special. Steak was thin and
overcooked. Again, cold. We were advised by other guests that the food in most Mexican hotels is the same. Apart from that, good time was had.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff of Iberostar Cancún we would like to thank for your comments about your experience with us during your vacation.

We appreciate your pointing out our strategy to keep away the birds from the food, we are proud to say we are the first hotel that has taken the initiative; so far it has been an excellent solution!

On the other hand we are very sorry to hear that the food in our restaurants did not exceed your expectations and that you had some trouble with the food temperature, our chefs and health & safety professionals control food temperature according to food and hygiene regulations, however we are really sorry you had a bad impression on it, we will make sure to pass your comments on to them to do a proper follow-up.

Again, thank you for your review, we hope to be able to welcome you again very soon!

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were treated like royalty! The Hotel and grounds are immaculate! Every room has a view of the ocean. There are plenty of activities and the hotel employees make sure that everyone is included. Every morning we ate breakfast at the buffet, OMG!, anything you could possibly want they offer, there are 5 Gourmet Specialty restaurants on the property, we only had dinner 1 time at the hotel and it was at the French Restaurant, incredible! Make restaurant reservations early, as the restaurants do book up fast. Everything is included, however, I do recommend tipping especially at the restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor in a corner room and had a great view, we had a french balcony which real...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to know how much you enjoyed your vacation with us!

We are happy that you enjoyed all that we offer, like the nights shows, the bars, the activities by the pool, and of course our food! We are glad to know you loved the gourmet restaurant.

We will be honored to have you back on your next holidays.

Best regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed at this resort in November 2012. I have a fantastic time. From my understanding, this used to be a Hilton Hotel, but they sold it to Iberostar 2 years ago. I have stayed in many Iberostar Hotels and this has be one of the best ones in terms of quality and modernity. I booked the cheapest room option, but was immediately given a free upgrade to ocean view with balcony upon my arrival. Awesome! Although I was on the first floor, the room was still very nice and wide open with a beautiful view of the ocean. Nice balcony too to sit down and relax at the end of the day. Very comfortable king bed and couch. Food in main dining room was excellent. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, all good stuff. Lots of choices. There's also a bar by the pool that serves hot dogs/hamburgers/fries and endless drinks if you don't want to venture inside. Finally, there is a nice restaurant on the edge of the ocean that gives you almost all the same options as main dining room area. Nice if you don't want to leave the beach. Not always open every day, but when it is, it's the best! Met lots of beautiful girls (other hotel guests) at hotel and went to the clubs every night. If you go to clubs through Iberostar (every night at 11 pm), they can get you an all-inclusive VIP table and get you past the long lines within a blink of an eye. It's more expensive ($50-60 per person), but better than standing outside in those long lines for hours. Be prepared to tip the bartenders at the clubs too. Cab from Airport to Hotel is pricey (~$50). Take a shuttle bus instead (~$20) and save your money. Cab from Hotel back to Airport is $35. They don't like to negotiate in Cancun, so just pay and enjoy the ride back home. No departure tax is required at the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade when you arrive at the hotel. You have a 50% chance of them saying yes, depen...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear your stay at Iberostar was more than pleasing, these are the type of experiences we try to offer to all our guests: a fun & relaxing time.

We will pass this information on to all the department heads in order for them to let their crew know.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you back soon.

Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Mexican friendliness is always a good thing! All employees speak English and pamper you. Food was plenty, good and assorted. If you came late, not all was refiled...but there were still other choices.
Pool and beach areas are comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your point of view with more travelers, we are glad that you liked the hotel and the kindness from our staff!

We have different restaurants in the hotel and also a snack bar too that is open when they are setting up the next buffet available, please be sure it will always be a pleasure to have you back in our property.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Cancun between 4/25 and 4/30 2013. We flew from boston on Jetblue, direct flights. Booked our airport transfers through the hotel and someone was waiting for us at Cancun Airport, very smooth transfer, about 15 mins. Check-in was quick and we even got a nice refreshing cocktail while we were waiting. We got a beautiful, clean room on the 9th floor (944), overlooking the pool/ocean area. The view was just amazing. The whole resort including the lobby, the rooms, bathrooms, pool/beach area and the restaurants were well-maintained and spotless. I could not believe how great the infiniti pool was, the water temperature was just perfect, and there was quite a bit of seating area around the swim up bar. We had breakfast and lunch at the buffet, there was just so much to choose from, I wish we had stayed longer to sample all the varieties. The pool bar served burgers/hot dogs which was also open during the day for snacks. At night we ate at the buffet once, and we also had dinner once at the Mexican, once at the Steakhouse and twice at the Japanese restaurants. The Japanese one was phenomenal, the food was just so tasty! Staff was always helpful and approachable, joking around but professional at the same time. Especially Alexandro at the towel rack, Sunday, Jesus, Paola, Hugo at the bar, and so many others some names I cannot recall. We participated in the activities, the water aerobics, darts, bingo, etc a few times, which was fun. The kids pool was great, we had two toddlers with us who had an absolute blast on the pirate ship and the slides. The beach is clean, be careful with the rough waves. The water was just refreshing. Not calm enough for watersports. I have stayed at several different Iberostar resorts in Mexico and Punta Cana, but this was by far the best and cleanest. The only thing I would suggest is to move the kids disco to 830pm and the adult show to 9pm, we always had to rush with dinner to get to the kids disco, then waited an hour for the adult one to start. I will definitely go back to this relaxing, beautiful resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review about your experience at Iberostar Cancún, we are thrilled to know you had a fantastic vacation with us.

It makes us really happy to know that you and your family enjoyed the hotel facilities, the food in the restaurants and the activities; we really appreciate your feedback.

We hope this experience with us is just one of many you will have, look forward to having you and your family very soon.

Kind Regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Cancun? Share your experiences!