“Can't wait to go back !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Cancun

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Cancun to your Saves list
Iberostar Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 17, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Mahwah, New Jersey
“Can't wait to go back !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

From check in to check out, everyone of the staff we came in contact with was great. Room was very clean, and had all that you need. (maybe a couple more channels in English? ) but who needs TV anyway.
My wife loved the large area by the sink for her makeup and getting ready. We got an ocean view room with a balcony. Up on the 7th floor, the view was awesome. Had a drink out there every night. All the restaurants were great. I'm not a picky eater, nor is my wife, but I would rate the food there way above average for an all inclusive. The buffet had a great breakfast, but we only ate dinner there our 1st night. Didn't go back for dinner since you couldn't get a drink. Only beer and wine. However I'm sure if It seemed like I was unhappy, they would have got me a drink somehow. If your into activities, the star members will keep you occupied all day with volley ball, soccer, games at the pool, salsa lessons......you name it! Or you can do nothing like me and relax. They don't bother you to participate, they really want you to be happy. So whatever you want, is what they want. The star members we talked to were, Dave, Luis and Jesus. All great guys.
The shows at night were all pretty good, but the live music they played for a short time when the show was over was excellent. We met a few great bartenders, Alfredo at the Lobby Bar, Edgar in the Virtigo Bar, and Hugo in the Pool Bar. All the waitresses on the beach and by the pool were great! They work their butts off and are never without a smile. The beach was beautiful, and very clean. The gym was well equipped. Some cardio machines, dumbells up to 50lbs, some cables and other machines. Good enough for a vacation quick work out.
Bottom line is, I hope my wife and I can get back there next year. Had a great time !!

Room Tip: If you can swing the cash, a suite ocean view would be great. If not, the ocean view with the balcon...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you had a memorable stay with us; our staff always does their best to offer the best service from the very first contact with our guests!

It is good to hear that you liked the facilities and cleanliness of the hotel. Thank you for your comments with regards to food in our property; our chefs plan a variety of meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner that adapt to the wide international palate of our guests.

We also have several activities to entertain our guests during the day as you well said! Our star friends’ team always tries hard to keep a big smile on our guests’ face during their vacation; we are happy that you share those moments with our team. We pass all your comments on to the people you have mentioned so that they can feel motivated.

Facilities and service are part of a big plus in our property. Please come back soon to visit us here at your second home in Mexico, we will be glad to welcome you again to our resort.

Warm regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed here March 20th - 26th, this resort by far exceeded our expectations. The resort was very clean, rooms were cleaned and fridge restocked daily, swimming pool bar staff very entertaining and fun, and all the food was very good. I recommend trying the Japanese Steakhouse we ate there twice (it had the most flavor) for some reason by the end of the week all the food starts to taste the same. For one dollar you can take the R2 bus to shopping dinning etc. I felt safe walking anywhere on the beaches or in town. It really is a beautiful place… no complaints here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read about how much you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your most kind comments regarding our staff, services and the clean areas, we will ensure they are relayed to the team.

Also, thanks for your recommendations to others!

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another enjoyable stay at Iberostar Cancun.

Ballston Spa, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Took my wife here for a special birthday surprise and have to say was Never dissappointed.The staff made us feel like king and queens.We never wanted for anything. The grounds were kept very clean had a Great beach and even better pool.The food is overall above average the only restuarant we were dissappointed in was the steak house but not enough to ruin anything.The activity staff were polite but not overpowering if you wanted to join fine if not sit back and relax.They went all day by the pool and continued with and entertaining show every night.This goes down as one of the Best vacations we ever had! Would go back tomorrow.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with others on TripAdvisor, we are very excited that you selected our hotel to celebrate your wife’s birthday!!

In addition, we are very happy that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations on such a special celebration. Your recognition of our efforts motivates us, thank you for mentioning the service given by our staff, and our delicious food!

We wish you many more celebrations and we hope we can share more with you! So we look forward to your return to Iberostar Cancún.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at Iberostar Cancun for 5 nights in mid March, and absolutely loved the resort and its services. I spent a few extra bucks and chose to get the Jr.Suite Ocean view room with a terrace that had ocean and pool view. It was worth it ! We got a room on the 6th floor with 2 queen beds, and later moved to a king bed on 1st floor which I preferred.
I really loved the location of the resort being in the beginning of the Hotel zone on your way from airport and it has a feel of the beach and ocean at any place within the hotel.
All facilities within the resort are conveniently located

I also visited other Iberostars to spend a day in Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen area.... but amongst all 5 or 6 Iberostars, I'd definitely rate this one best, for the location and proximity to the beach. The other resorts didn’t have a feel of the ocean until you walk thru the entire hotel and reach the beach. I also like the fact that the resort had a mix of all kind of guests. It was not absolutely spring break crowd … neither was it just family.

Our food options were limited as we are vegetarians, but Isaac (the new assistant Chef) made the extra effort and made us special meals which was really nice. The service at the restaurants and the bars was pretty fast and up to the standards. Francisco was one person of the few I remember who served us. The activities were good and this guy named Sunday was particularly good in making everyone involved. The font desk was helpful with fast check in and checkout.

Just one problem we had was our room keys would not work once in a while and they had to be re-programmed 2-3 times during our stay of 5 nights .

I’m sure there are other resorts in similar price that are equally good or better, but my wife and myself were very happy that we chose this resort for our first visit to cancun. Next time in Cancun I’d like to go to the same place or something up to this resort’s standards just to try a different place.

Room Tip: if you are getting the oceanview Jr suite, try to get the rooms with odd room numbers.... they have...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for posting a review about your recent stay at our hotel, your comments are very much valued.

All of our rooms are ocean view and have a wonderful view of the beach, as it was noticed our location is close proximity to main places in the area and also convenient for those that want to be in a quiet, relaxing place.

We are very proud to have a property that offers comfort to our guests; this fact motivates each one of our members to achieve the best customer service. We hope you enjoyed some of our meals from the vegetarian menu as our chefs take good care of our guests with special dietary needs like yourself.

We will make sure your comments reach our staff, who work hard to ensure you have a positive experience in the hotel.

Thank you once again; we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Regards,

pittsburg area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I have been to seven different properties in the hotel zone of Cancun. While they were all good, none were as good as this hotel. Everyone was pleasant and helpful.Every thing was clean andwell maintained. A special thank you to Bliana, the waitress in the lobby bar. She was the most pleasant person we have met in quite awhile. And to Jorge, the bartender in the lobbt bar. A big thank you to the enterment staff, especially David. And to Bartilio in the buffet restuarant. And to the staff at the guest services desk, who were very helpful. Last and not least, thank you to our maid.
We will return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear guest,

We are glad to know that we have been able to overcome any other experience in the hotel zone of Cancun!

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we will let the staff know that they helped you have a great vacation. Of course we will congratulate them, especially the staff members you mentioned.

All of us at the hotel are passionate about hospitality and we are pleased to see this is perceived by our dear guests.

We all look forward to your return very soon to Iberostar Cancun!

Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I have been to Cuba, the Dominican, and, for the first time this year, Mexico. We were always reluctant to go to Mexico over safety concerns. I am so glad we took the chance, because we were proven very wrong and felt very safe at all times. We used the public bus which was very simple and very cheap...and very fast. Make sure you sit down quickly!

I chose Cancun this year because I wanted an all inclusive that was in a more urban, populated area with more shopping and cultural opportunities. If you love to shop, you will love Cancun. I had no idea it was such a luxury shopping destination. We have been to NYC, and we found Cancun to be comparable, just on a smaller scale. Cancun offers the delights of the beach right alongside a major, modern city. It was the best of both worlds, as far as I was concerned. Which explains all the private jets we saw at the airport.

The Iberostar Cancun was different from all the other all inclusives we had previously stayed at, in that it is more of a hotel, less of a resort. It had nine floors and a more North American hotel configuration, whereas the resorts are more rows of low rises with a separate lobby. That took a little getting used to for me, but once I got accustomed, I liked the intimacy of it. We have stayed in resorts that were huge, like the Grand Bahia Principe in the DR. It's nice to have access to so many facilities. However, staying at the Iberostar Cancun has helped me decide that, for me, bigger isn't better.

The Iberostar Cancun was previously a Hilton hotel. It's evident that it was built to be very high end. There are lovely architectural and decorative touches everywhere. It seems to have been very well thought out to make the most of the incredible views and ocean breezes. I was left with the impression that the Iberostar was once a grand dame whose heyday had passed, but that didn't diminish it in my eyes; rather, it gave her more charm.

Our room on the second floor was not swanky, but it was everything we needed. It had a tiny balcony with a view that could not be surpassed, unless you were on a higher floor. It did seem at times that the walls were very thin, but it was always very quiet during the night when it mattered most. We were under the understanding (but don't quote me) that the resort was only 70% full during our stay, and crowding was never an issue. There were people of all ages from infants to university to elderly, and they all seemed to find comfort to me.

We were very satisfied with cleanliness throughout the resort, including in our room, which was serviced and stocked by Mirna, who, on our last day, left the sweetest little towel dolly on our bed. Sometimes there was no soap in the communal washrooms, which is a bit distressing to me, since I work in healthcare. But if that's the biggest thing I can find to complain about during my week stay, that's pretty minor.

The buffet was on par with the resorts we stayed at in the DR. Frankly, I would not wish to complain about the food at any resort, because I own a restaurant, and I have a very good understanding about how difficult it is to please people. The way I see it, they have an impossible task, when you take into consideration that they are trying to satisfy guests from all over the world on a 24/7 basis. The breads, cheeses, salads, and fruits were good, and they are my staples. There was always a nice meat option, as well.

The service at the buffet was just plain outstanding. The staff speak beautiful English, and this facilitates developing personal relationships. Of all the staffs in all the 6 resorts we have patronized over the years, my highest commendations go to Xavier (Javier?) Castro. He is one of the warmest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. His joie de vivre, energy, and clear love of his job are an inspiration.

The entire staff in all departments seem to work together with team spirit and a common goal. They did not hesitate to go the extra mile to satisfy us as guests.

The pool on the resort is my favorite pool ever! It has so many waterfalls and sprinklers and stair features, varied depths, a whirlpool, a kids' area to die for, and shady spots for milky skinned Canadians like me. The infinity pool area is particularly nice. The water felt very soft and was clean, though it baffles me how they manage to maintain it so well.

I, myself, though, am a dedicated ocean swimmer. I was very nervous that the beach would not be swimmable, due to pictures I had seen with red flags. The waves are indeed big and powerful, but if you are a strong swimmer, they are also great fun. Two out of the seven days we were there, there were red flags. You can still swim, though, obviously, at your own risk. The other five days were yellow flagged, or caution. The lifeguards are very attentive and will direct swimmers to the safest areas to swim. In fact, while we were there, we witnessed the lifeguards doing training/testing, which is reassuring. That being said, I might not have allowed my kids, who are 12 and 9, to swim with me, even though they are both good swimmers.

The sand on the beach is coarser than sand in the DR or Cuba. Nothing beats a Cuban beach, in my opinion, but the Cuban resorts cannot offer the amenities that Cancun can. It all depends what you are looking for. I guess my overall opinion, after 6 years of Caribbean travel, is that it's really not helpful to compare and rate different resorts in different countries. You have to decide for yourself what your vacation priorities are. Five star in Cuba is not the same as five star in Mexico.

Let's see...have I covered all the bases? We booked with Transat, and our flights and buses were what we have come to expect. We pay the extra for legroom on the flight, and it's a good thing we did, because my husband was unwell on the way down, and the flight was longer than we anticipated (5 hours and 18 minutes, though it only took us 4 hours to fly home). Check in and check out were very smooth. Any questions or issues we had (including room cards that suddenly stopped working) were handled quickly with no communication problems whatsoever.

We did have one pretty serious glitch, but it had nothing to do with the resort. When we were in the Cancun airport, we were directed by an airport employee to a booth along one wall. There we met Josue, who, unbeknownst to us in our tired state, was a timeshare employee. At first, we thought he was with Transat. Sadly, it took us a half hour of him nattering to figure out that we should have walked the hell away from him. He had a lovely personality. It's a shame he doesn't work in a more respectable field than to dupe poor, unsuspecting tourists. He explained that all the resorts in Cancun are foreign owned, and that the profit does not stay in Mexico. Because I am concerned about global corporate exploitation, I got sucked in to his spiel. He works for a Mexican company that is trying to built a Mexican resort. To make a long story short, if you come across these people offering you cheap excursions if you tour their hotel site....RUN!!!

I almost forgot the spa. I consider the spa to be my "mother ship" when I am on vacation. This spa did not disappoint. The wet area/quiet pool is particularly lovely and relaxing. I am loathe to share it, as it seems to be a best kept secret. Check it out...just don't tell anybody else.

Since this was our first visit to Mexico, we did not venture far afield. But there is good shopping, a museum, and world class archaeological sites nearby, so I look forward to returning to Mexico, and I would not hesitate to book again at the Iberostar Cancun. Ask for the peanuts in the lobby...they're really good! I wish I had some right now!

Room Tip: Keep your heavy curtains closed through the hot part of the day to keep your room cooler for sleepin...
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Iberostar Cancun and we had a great time.

To get the few negatives out of the way the things we were disappointed in was that when we first arrived; granted we were early for check in because of our flight time we had to wait for 2 hours to get our room while everyone else on our bus got a room right away so we were a little bummed about that. And we're sitting in the lobby while they walked by in the bath suits.

Also we found that sometimes it took a while for servers to take your drink orders and sometimes they didn't come so after waiting for a while you had to go up and wait at the bar to get them and we were very generous with tips so can't really blame it on that.

Lastly this side of the island has really choppy water and pretty much impossible to swim in the ocean so if you're someone that likes to spend your days in the ocean vs the pool I would suggest the other side of the hotel zone. The beach is gorgeous though.

Alright now onto the positives!

The entertainment staff was awesome! We went to pretty much every show and My boyfriend even enjoyed himself and he isn't one for that kind of stuff. They have activities going on all day and everyday. I did water aerobics everyday and had a blast.

The pools are huge and always kept clean. If you want to get a spot under the umbrellas it seems you have to get up nice and early and put your towels on the chairs to reserve them, I found this pretty unfair since you'd walk around trying to find a place and all the shaded chairs had stuff on them even though there wasn't anyone in the pools yet.

Our room was really nice and an amazing ocean and pool view. Bring DVDs! Not many English channels.

The food was overall pretty good, we went to all the al la cartes and my favourite was the Japanese one ( make sure you get the teppanyaki style food) my boyfriends favourite was the gourmet restaurant, the steak is better there than the actual steakhouse.

Nightlife at the hotel after the show is nonexistent but the entertainment staff sets up outings every night so you know you're safe to go with them. The only place they don't go is coco bongo but there is a guy that sells tickets daily on the resort for that and he personally takes you there and bring you to your VIP section so just ask the entertainment staff about it vs getting it from your travel agent who doesn't provide transportation or anything along those lines. We had an amazing time there and so worth going!

Well hope this was helpful and enjoy your trip!!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and feedback.

We are sorry for the delay with your room assignment and also for the inefficient bartender service you experienced. They always put an extra effort (whether they are tipped or not) but during the peak season it is much more complicated.

On the other hand we are very glad to know we were able to make your trip a very pleasurable one. The comments on your experience with us are very valuable; they help us give a better service to guests and quickly identify situations that will be prevented in the future, such as miscommunication and lack of attention to detail.

Please come back soon to visit us it will be a pleasure to make your vacation another great memory to take home.

Kind regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Cancun? Share your experiences!