“Iberostar Cancun...They could not have done anymore!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Cancun

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Cancun to your Saves list
Iberostar Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 17, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Boston, MA
“Iberostar Cancun...They could not have done anymore!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Any reviews below that are complaining about service, cleanliness, helpfulness of staff and quality of food should simply stay home. They will never be satisfied.
First, please remember you are visiting a foreign country with different customs. Speed is one of them, and yet, anything and everything we asked for was delivered or completed amazingly quickly.
STAFF:
General Manager Fernando is the best. When we realized we would be stranded for 2 days beyond our scheduled stay due to the snowstrom in Boston, he immediately took charge and was instrumental in getting us our SAME room in spite of the hotel being overbooked for the next several nights. He insisted we use the house phone at the front desk so we would not incur any phone charges while we waited of an hour for the airline to wait on us.
Next was Harold, one of the Guest Services Staff. Prior to our arriving, via email, Harold had booked my wife and me in each of the four specialty restaurants. Harold researched the golf course for me and emailed me on three occasions with answers. It was wonderful to meet him.
Isabell....currently eating and working for two (she is due in April), could not help but smile, be gracious and greet us everyday with a genuine enthusiasm. Her smile is contagious!

WAITSTAFF: Our thanks to two in particular. Our breakfasts and lunches were served outside at the buffet by Oscar. He is all of 22 years old and was nothing but polite, helpful, fun, gracious, there with whatever we needed or requested. Every lunch, he remembered exactly what we would be drinking and had it on the table when we came back from the buffet, without even asking. Same went for breakfast. He was such a great help, we made it a point to let the restaurant mgr and the hotel general manager, know about him. Thanks Oscar...you deserve a bonus! Dinners at the buffet were taken care of by our waiter, Javier. Equally friendly, helpful and forthcoming when we asked about his family and his life. He shared stories about home and his four children...always with a smile and always with concern for our enjoyment and comfort.
These waitstaff work six-day weeks and one could never tell.

BEACH: Rough waves for the first two days. However, the beach, like the hotel is kept immaculate. The sand is the white powder we dream of during our long winter seasons here in Boston. The waitresses come along very frequently, taking our drink orders with an "Hola" and a smile. A dollar tip here and there throughout the day goes a long way in making their day!!

FOOD: The buffet was consistently fresh with more choices than you can eat. Freshest of fruit is always on hand, as is fresh guacamole and salsa that you could live on if nothing else interested you. Meats of chicken, beef and pork....prepared in many ways. Different fish on different days and nights. Cheeses, salad bars and all types of juices.
The pasta bar made delicious concoctions of your choosing with a variety of pastas to choose from, along with red and white sauces or simply garlic and oil.
The omelette station was tremendous whether you simply wanted two eggs scrambled, or an omelette of your making.
The four specialty restaurants are ok. The Japanese seemed to be the best in our estimate.
We ate traditional Mexican fare in town one night at "Mextreme" at the recommendation of a local pharmacy clerk. It was excellent, cheap and a lot of fun.
We also ate on "Isle de Majeres" right on the water and this too was very good. Rent a golf cart, get away from the vendors and enjoy the island. Beautiful and interesting sights to see. Golf cart rate for the day is currently standadized at 500 pesos ($42.00...for now). Worth it!

GOLF: Beautiful course. Paired me up with a twosome and we had a great time. Carts included in price. The alligators we sighted were no extra charge!! My pictures of them were taken with a telephoto and yet I could still hear them hissing....I was happy to donate 3 or 4 balls to the golf gods when they went in the water. Even if I could see the ball...it was worth leaving it and taking a stroke penalty. Happy to say I returned to the states with all limbs and fingers....
The fairways and greens were in excellent shape. Food, drinks and water all included in price.

ROOM: Beautiful view, overlooking the pool and ocean. This is the side you want to request. We also paid a little extra for a full balcony. My wife loves watching the sunrise as I sleep. The mattress was excellent by the way. Incredibly comfortable. The room was made up beutifully each day with fresh towels and beautiful flower petals on the bed.

We had a wonderful time and would not hesitate to go back next year. Thank you Iberostar for delivering on what you promised...and more.
Joel & Rosalie.

Room Tip: Choose the room that overlooks both the ocean and the pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Joel & Rosalie,

Thank you very much for your kind and detailed review about your stay and your experience at Iberostar Cancun.

It was especially rewarding for us to read your comments about our team and how much you enjoyed the service provided by them. We will make sure that our entire team is informed about your words, and we would like to thank you on behalf of them for your kind and encouraging remarks.

We feel so happy to read that you were able to enjoy all the facilities, the variety of the food at the restaurants and all the service at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back; we remain at your entire disposal for any assistance you might require.

1,750 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I just returned from a week at the Iberostar Cancun (Feb 2 - 10/2013) and wanted to provide feedback on my experience.

Firstly, I feel the resort is beautiful - big but not huge like some other places I have stayed in. The lobby is impressive -soaring ceilings, Beautiful decor. We had an ocean front villa and this was the best room I have ever had. The balcony overlooks the sandy beach and the ocean. The rooms are always impeccably cleaned by mid morning (at other all inclusives I've had the rooms cleaned mid to late afternoon) The rooms itself are well appointed, the bathroom lovely and the Queen beds very comfy).
The pool is outstanding - hands down the best I have every seen - the infinity pool really looks like it merges with the ocean.
The beach is lovely and there is lots of loungers available. I am very sun sensitive and was able to secure shaded areas fairly easily.
To get to the ocean is a bit tricky - kind of a steep incline and yes, there is a 1foot drop when you get into the water so navigate this carefully. The ocean is sandy and rarely did I see a rock. However, there are lots of waves with a significant undertow so one needs to be careful. My group of friends loved it - hurling ourselves around in the waves but this may not be for everyone. In speaking to the staff, by May, the ocean becomes very calm with little or no waves.
Food - plentiful and in my opinion - average to good. Great selection of fruit and veggies and always multiple choices of meat/fish but like most buffets, not a lot of zing!
Alcohol/drinks - excellent! Many premium brands and the bar staff is always friendly and would frequently have our fav drinks ready when we arrived at the bar!
Spa - beautiful and tranquil. Had a massage there with Brenda and she was amazing!!

Best part - the staff. Always helpful and friendly. The resort is always being cleaned and the bathrooms (even the beach ones) were kept very clean. Special mention to Gabriel and Eduardo at the lobby bar - so friendly and welcoming!

To travellors - although this is an all-inclusive resort - the staff really do rely on and deserve tips. A small tip goes a long way in their lives.

Room Tip: ocean front villa
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you choosing us for your vacations and for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of our property.

We appreciate your comments as they are very helpful in our efforts to continuously strive for service excellence, especially regarding our great staff, who always work hard to make your holiday a very memorable one.

We truly hope to have you again in the future, please let us know when you are coming back to Iberostar Cancun and we will be more than happy to attend to your needs.

collingswood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Cancun 1/20 - 1/24. We are a well traveled couple in our very early 50’s who has been to Mexico numerous times. This was our first time staying at an Iberostar property.

Staff- Nearly everyone we encountered was very friendly, polite and helpful....from the front desk to the servers in the buffet restaurants. Sadly, the only exception were the bartenders at the pool. I would cut them slack if they were crazy-busy but, the weather was not good while we were there and the pool was not at all crowded.
I was ignored most times I walked up to the pool bar, then they seemed annoyed and acted as if they were doing me a huge favor when I ordered a drink that was not beer or one of the frozen concoctions on the menu. I found it a more pleasant experience to get my pool side drinks from one of the nice servers who walked around taking drink orders.

Resort - We really liked the layout and the size of this resort. It wasn’t huge...the beach, restaurants, etc. were in reasonable walking distance. The heated infinity pool was lovely. There were a number of Jacuzzis scattered among the pools and they were heated. We were told that the resort was 80% full while we were there, but it truly never seemed crowded.
The main lobby/bar area was a good place to relax....grab an after dinner drink or cappuccino while taking advantage of the free wi-fi. Comfy sofas and piano music added to the ambiance.
We had a room in the Villas section. It was very spacious, as was the bathroom (had both a tub w/shower and a walk-in shower). We also had a balcony. One note about the housekeeping....while the bedroom area was adequately cleaned, the bathroom was not. The bathroom vanity had a number of open shelves that were dusty and had hair on them from when my husbanded shaved. There were not cleaned the entire time we were there (yes, I could have cleaned it, but waited to see if housekeeping would take care of it).

Food - controversial topic, I know. We’ve been to a number of all inclusives and the food here was better than most we’ve been to. Take that however you wish. LOL
One thing that disturbed me (and I brought to the attention of dining room mgt) was that the food handlers did not wear gloves. The reason, I was told, was because guests have latex allergies. However, the gloves that food handlers generally wear are not made of latex.
We ate in the Japanese and Steak restaurants. Japanese was your typical “Benihana” style, but the food was fresh and the fried rice was especially good. We did not care for the banana tempura dessert.
The steak restaurant was good, and although my rib eye was so tough I couldn’t cut it, my husbands filet was extremely tender. Nice change of pace in selection of appetizers from the appetizer bar (jalapeno poppers, chicken wings, etc.)
We ate in the buffet 2 nights. Generally speaking, I do not care for buffet food, but I always managed to find something I found enjoyable.
Regarding restaurant reservations....yes, you can make them in advance by emailing
rrppcancun@iberostar.com.mx. I suggest doing so no more than 2 weeks ahead of your arrival.
Room service - food selection was limited, but whatever I ordered was tasty and delivered in a timely manner.
Drinks - Most were way too sweet...the bartenders are a bit heavy handed with the simple syrup. I tried ordering drinks that I knew wouldn’t be sweet, but then they were heavy handed with the lime juice. Unfortunately, I never had a decent cocktail while there.

Entertainment - Let’s just say that the STAR staff try very hard.

Getting around - If you want to go into downtown Cancun, or go to Wal-Mart (which we needed to do as my husband forgot his swimsuit and the hotel was selling them for $50+ in the gift shop), there is a bus that stops right in front of the hotel. Cost is $1USD per person each way.

Overall Impression - We would stay there again for a quick jaunt. It’s close to the airport, close to public transportation, staff is wonderful, resort is very nice and food is pretty good for an all inclusive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at Iberostar Cancun.

We can see that you had a nice relaxing time at the main lobby; it is one of the areas that all guests love. Also thank you for mentioning that we have beautiful facilities and your recommendations to other travelers.

We are glad to know that you our staff was so friendly and helpfully during your stay; our staff always tries their best to meet and surpass our clients’ expectations, for this reason, we are very concerned about your comments and we will immediately take action with our bartenders at the pool and work upon them to avoid similar situations.

We take note about your comments regarding the cleanness at the rooms. We have passed this observation with is very concerning to us to our Room Service Department so they can take corrective actions.

Regarding gloves, our Health and Safety Department and external sanitary company that comes in periodically for tests and sanitary procedures, advise against the use of gloves, the reason being they can be a dangerous focus for bacteria growth. However, constant hand washing before, during and after ensures complete hygiene. Besides this, our employees get checks (analysis) every fortnight so we are 100% sure that they do not carry any parasites. We thank you very much for your observation though, as they always help us investigate on areas of our service that may need improvement.

We sincerely apologize if any inconveniences have occurred during your stay. It is very important to us to provide an exceptional service and an attentive attention to all our guests.

We highly appreciate your feedback and thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing our hotel, we hope to have many more experiences with you soon.

Sag Harbor, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

At first glance this property appeared to be wonderful. However, my traveling companion has some physical challenges in walking and this property turned out to be a very difficult for him to get around. The entire pool area is set up in levels with stairways connecting. (NO HANDRAILS ANYWHERE). That also included the pools. We had to help a woman get out of the pool after watching her struggle in finding something to hold on to to balance to lift herself out of water.
The restaurants were okay, but not great. Only one of the staff was helpful. The rest were always too busy!
Will never return!

Room Tip: Do not get villas.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank for your comments about your recent stay at Iberostar Cancun.

We are really sorry to read that you found our property not so easy to walk around, please note the hotel has ramps next to the stairs. We also offer wheelchairs to our guests to help with accessibility. These can b found at our Guest services desk. Also, if any guest needs any assistance with regards to a special requirement, our guest service staff is always happy to attend any kind of demands.

We appreciate the time you took to let us know about your inconveniences, since it gives us opportunities to improve, and we will be forwarding your comments to management. We truly regret that your experience was less than favorable and hope to welcome you back in the near future so that you can rediscover our hotel.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

i loved this hotel and have the great pleasure in returning in april 13 . all restraunts were great and service second to non , next time we are upgrading to beach front villa room , but from what i saw al rooms are great .

Room Tip: get a balcony at least suite or villa if you can
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review.

We are glad to know that you are giving us another opportunity to create memories as close to perfection as possible. There is nothing more rewarding than to see that your overall vacation was memorable.

Iberostar Cancun is waiting to pamper you in April!

Linoln, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Didn't know what to expect as this was our first stay at an all-inclusive but we picked Iberostar out of the pack. It was everything we hoped for. The buffet provided a wide variety of very good food including lots of fresh fruit and vegtables. The four restaraunts in the evening covered an array of different foods, each one very enjoyable with the French restarant especially so. Best of all the service is top rate at all of them, Carlos, Sebastian, Marvin, Ramon, and Marlon made our experiences even better.

The pool is goregeuos and the beach spectacular. The chairs are comfortable at either location and there are shaded areas for those who are sun sensative. The gulf is extremely invigorating to swim in. Adding to the experience are the friendly waitresses who make their way around the pool and beach to keep you supplied with drinks.

The Iberostar friends run a variety of activities during the day and put on high spirited entertainment in the evenings. We enjoyed their enthusiasm and commitment to help everyone enjoy their stay.

The room was nice with a small balcony and an wonderful view of the gulf. Do get up one morning to watch the sun come up over the horizon.

We found everything wonderful at Iberstar and would reccoment it to anyone.

Room Tip: The higher floors have better views.
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cancun for your holidays.

We are so glad to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities during your stay. Our main goal is to make you feel at home while experiencing the best vacation. Thank you for your remark on the service provided by Carlos, Sebastian, Marvin, Ramon and Marlon. We will congratulate them for a job well done.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in a near future.

Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have been to several all inclusive resorts & found The Iberostar Cancun to be one of the best. The room was nice with a great view of the ocean. The pool is fabulous. The beach area in front of resort is very nice & cleaned everyday. The staff could not have been any better. The pool bar is very nice & the service was always fast. The buffet for breakfast was very good. The Mexican buffet down by the beach was a fast & good place for lunch. We spent just about all day out by the pool & Beach. We also had a Massage at the Spa & it was one of the Best ever. We ate dinner 2 nights at the Hotel & it was OK. The last night we decided to go out to a place called Harry's, it was outstanding. Again, for an all inclusive resort we really Loved it & we will go back.

Room Tip: get a room with ocean view & balcony
Dear Guest,

First of all we want to thank you for writing such a positive review. It is an honor to receive such appreciative comments from a guest like you.

We would like to comment you that our everyday goal is to please our guests and make sure they spend their vacation in the most relaxing and memorable way possible.

We deeply appreciate your comments regarding our beautiful facilities at the resort, the service at the spa, the quality of food provided and the most important: the good service offered by our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Iberostar Cancun for another memorable experience.

Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Cancun? Share your experiences!