“Wonderful all-inclusive resort!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Cancun

You added Iberostar Cancun to your Saves list
Iberostar Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 17, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Columbus
“Wonderful all-inclusive resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Cancun all inclusive resort from Oct 27 until Nov 3. Our package was put together by Vacations To Go using Delta vacations, and was priced very reasonably. Transportation from the airport was prearranged and convenient. Check in at the hotel was quick and easy. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Most spoke English very well; they not just tolerated, but seemed to enjoy my efforts to improve my very limited Spanish. The facility is beautiful and well kept. Activities were adequate for our wants; I enjoyed the air rifle shooting and did water aerobics once. We went to the live entertainment at the theater most nights; it’s not exactly Broadway, but we enjoyed it. The fitness center was way beyond adequate, with 8 machines, dumbbells, barbell, benches, and mats; I only made it there twice, although I did pushups on the beach!
The series of pools cascading down to the beach were very clean and convenient, although I only got in once because I prefer to either swim in the sea or lay in the sun and read or listen to audiobook. The beach was not exactly superlative, but quite good, with plenty of chairs and thatched shades; later in the week the currents brought in a noticeable amount of seaweed and trash, but it didn’t bother me beyond wondering how humans can be such foul, despicable beasts as to contaminate their own environment so. Housekeeping was excellent, with the room very clean and well provisioned. We mostly ate at the buffet, which had excellent food that varied somewhat from day to day. We ate once at the Japanese restaurant, and once at the “gourmet” restaurant; both were very good.
I was disappointed to not have control of the temperature in the room; It is centrally controlled, so our choices were to accept what they gave us or turn the air handling off and open the patio door, which we did often. It worked out OK, and we were quite comfortable. Speaking of comfortable, the beds were, and we slept well. I thought the wifi was a bit pricey at $15 per day, but on the fifth day (poor communication) I discovered the wifi in the lobby and lobby bar was free; it’s not a high priority for me, so I didn’t mind.
By mid-morning of the first day I was eager to return, and nothing in the following 6 days changed my mind!

Room Tip: I think all rooms view the ocean. We had 136, in the arm that juts out toward the ocean, and those r...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we do our best to provide our dear guests with an exceptional service and we are really glad to know we accomplished our goal. We will be more than happy to welcome you and your family again soon here to the Iberostar Cancun.

Iberostar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Regarding my stay at Iberostar Cancun from 10/27-10/31, the property was lovely, rooms spacious and clean and the staff was friendly and efficient.

However, the lack of food selection in the buffet restaurant could be improved. On any given day, what was served for lunch was served for dinner. Food selections should vary daily and between lunch and dinner.

While the hotel was very accommodating to my extended hotel stay due to Hurricane Sandy, I do have a grievance. I was mistakenly given a lower price for an extra day. I made my decision to stay the extra day at this hotel based on that price. When it came time to check out, I was given my checkout card and I was cleared to leave. While waiting for my taxi, staff confronted me in an effort to resolve the mistaken price that I was given.

As a business, if you make a mistake, you own up to it. You do not chase a customer down after you have cleared them for check-out. In my opinion, that was a bad move on the hotel's part.

If the hotel wanted to rectify the problem, they should have done so at the time of my checkout; not after I was cleared and waiting for a taxi.

Despite the wonderful experience, this last part of my stay, ruined my vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar Cancun for your vacation.

We have taken your feedback to heart and have shared it with our team. We are thrilled to know you had a fantastic vacation with us!!! In regards to your inconvenience at the time you made your check out, we really appreciate that you took the time to write this very important feedback to us. We have spoken to our reception manager and is taking care of this problem. We really appreciate your comments as it is very helpful in our efforts to continuously strive for service excellence. Also we take note about your recommendation with the variety of the food.
We are confident that you will give us another opportunity in the future, we hope to see you soon at this your home.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My Husband and I just returned from our 10/27 - 11/3 stay. We have been to Playa Del Carmen 3 times, and this was our first stay in Cancun. This Resort is by far the best! We stayed in an Ocean Front Villa. The Staff are genuinely friendly, rooms are clean, Beach beautiful, pool wonderful. The buffet always had something for everyone. The Star Friends are great - and they even offer karaoke after the night show on Mon, Wed, and Friday! We will definitly return to this resort!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for visiting Iberostar Cancun, it is a true pleasure to read the good comments by one guest like yourself. We constantly try our best to make the difference by providing the most personalized service, as well as maintaining the quality of an all inclusive resort on an international level.

We look forward to your next visits to "your home away from home".

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is absolutely incredible, it 'wowed' me as soon as i walked through the doors and into the lobby. The overall appearance of the hotel is amazing, when we were on the shuttle bus from the hotel dropping off passengers at their various different locations, i felt like a snob because of how our hotel looked compared to theirs.

The check-in process was really quick and easy, no hanging around or being 'shoed' off. While checking in, we were given a complimentary drink which was a mixture of fruit syrups and juices! Was really tasty! They offered us the service of a bell boy to take our cases up to our rooms and with us being novices to the whole posh hotel services, we rejected the opportunity and taken them up ourselves.

We were on the fourth floor room 42. The views out the balcony door were out of this world absolutely amazing. I was literally in awe standing there looking out to sea. The rooms were massive, two double beds, a flat screen TV, a mini fridge which was stocked up well, with lemonade, diet coke, normal coke, water and beers. People say the bathrooms are dated, but i thought they were good and clean. The amenities were always stocked up when we used them.

The air con was great, set it at 20 and you will be fine. One tip make sure your balcony door is closed properly otherwise it wont work, and the light will just flash on the unit. I found out the hard way, during the first night it was roasting and the air con wouldnt work i didn't think to check the door (eventhough i did read about it), it was all so easy once i knew it was the door which was the culprit.

Anyway less of the room and more about the resort. The resort is really really clean and tidy and well set out. There is many pools but one main, the other little ones you can have a dip in, or play water polo, basketball or volleyball. There is also two jacuzzis, which i didn't tend to use that much because i was too hot just in the normal pool anyway.

The pool bar was well used, word of warning if you are not massive alcohol drinkers then say you don't want alcohol or minimum amounts. I was happy to drink the alcoholic drinks for the first couple of days but after that i got sick of it, and instead asked for a non alcoholic drink, my personal favourite was a 'sour lemonade', so refreshing and just what you need the heat while lounging around.

The entertainment are fantastic, Jesus, Arturo, Franchesco, Brisa. They were always trying to make your day that little bit more fun and enjoyable. They would invite you to play the game and take part in the activities, and if you said 'no not today', they would accept your decision and move on, they don't keep pestering you. You should really take part in some of the activities though, the amount of time and effort they put in to make your holiday perfection is unreal and they deserve at least some recognition by us to enjoy it with them.

The food was great, the buffet will be your main eatery, again i have no faults with it at all, if you complain or go hungry, or don't like anything in there then you shouldn't go on an all-inclusive holiday, you should just stay in your house.

The variety of food is vast! Soooooo much to choose from; ranging from fish to fruit. They have meat, savoury, fish, vegatarian, sweets, ice creams and deserts. Even if you don't feel like the buffet one day then you can book one of the speciality restaurants for a night, just remember though that you have to pre book these, and most of them require men to wear a collared shirt and long trousers (i just wear a casual shirt and chinos).

The restaurants were alright, the one which tick many boxes for me was the steak house, they cook your steak to perfection and the service is first class. They also do vegatarian as well. I also went to the japanese and mexican but they weren't great in my opinion, however some other holiday makers seemed to like it.

The entertainment is excellent and so funny. They are all very enjoyable and something sometimes you plan to watch, the one night i missed TWICE was the magic show, and this is meant to be one the best shows there, i was gutted that i missed it. The shows are very professional and by the looks of it they spend hours practicing and rehearsing, i once popped into the hut during lunctime and they were practicing in the hottest part of the day.

The beach is the most beautiful and incredible beach i have ever been to. The sand is a white golden colour and is clean and tidy. Admittedly the sea can be rough but it is great fun and you can go out into the horizon quite far with it only being should height.

There is soooo much more i could write about this hotel but i don't want to spoil the surprise of some of the other things, my suggestion is; go and book at this hotel and see it for yourself, my words alone don't justify what an amazing experience you will have.

I have to make a special mention to Jesus though, he was a great friend while we were there and he is one of the main reasons why we are looking to book and go again next year, he really makes your time feel special when you are there.

Overall 11 out of 10 for this hotel. I wouldn't overlook this hotel, book it straight away.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing with us this complete review about our work and our services. It is a great pleasure to know that your overall experience was enjoyable.
It was a pleasure to read such a wonderful review and to make your stay so memorable. Indeed, we always try to impress our guests with the service, food choices, comfort of rooms and serenity of the environment.
Every feedback we receive are very valuable for us as it is our most reliable source to locate areas we have to work at, in order to meet our guests expectations. Your happiness during your entire stay is our greatest priority. Let us assure you that all the points you have mentioned in your review are taken into consideration and will be used to bring our services to the level where we can meet and even exceed every expectation of our highly appreciated guests.

We all truly appreciate your generous recommendations of our service and are looking forward to welcoming you back at Iberostar Cancun.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending 4 nights in an oceanfront villa at this amazing property. The property was beautiful, food was great, staff was exceptional.
I have recommended this to several of my friends and they all loved it as well.
Javier and the Star Friends were unbelievable. Had such a great time.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this review, and especially for your kind words about our staff, we will passed on our special congratulations to Javier for such exceptional service.

We are so glad to know that you enjoyed all the service and the facilities, thank you so much for your recommendations.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Iberostar Cancun.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This property is very beautiful well maintained and clean, clean, clean!
the staff is very very kind, respectful and professional. We did not have any problems at all with the service. they made us feel very welcome.
The Star Friends are very talented and charming young people who work 18 hours a day both in the hotel and in the entertainment theater, the musicals were very professionally done and enjoyable.
The food was excellent with enough variety to satisfy most anyone. don't expect to get food like back home...why would you? be adventurous!? all food was prepared properly and tagged so you always knew what you were eating.
This hotel was clean and beautiful, it was amazing!
the room was fine and spacious enough for all our stuff.. we could have upgraded because we got such a great deal but really, we were out all day and most of the night. no need.
we had good luck with Lomas transportation. again very nice and professional
bring lots of small bills with you. it's difficult to change your american money. Although all gratuities were included and you did not have to tip,trust you'll want to,that's how nice the staff is.
the pool was so nice and relaxing and there was lots of activity by the pool if you wanted to be around it and there was quiet by the beach if you preferred.
yes i would recommend this vacation spot and yes i would msot definitely return

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are completely honored to read that your visit to Iberostar Cancun was enjoyable and met your expectations. We truly appreciate all the positive remarks about our resort and especially about the service, it is very important to know that we were able to meet your expectations. We will be sure to pass on your comments to all the staff in order to keep improving our personalized service.
We are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and you really like all the facilities.
We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.

Denver, Colorado, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have stayed at other Iberostars in Playa and Dominican. I didn't have the same experience at this hotel as the others. We arrived early morning and I knew to make dinner reservations for each night. I spoke to the concierge who told me everything was booked for 3 days. We had to eat at the buffet for each meal 3 days in a row. When finally sitting at one of the restaurants we noticed not even half the restaurant was full. The same thing happened the next night. I spoke to the front desk who told me they don't like to fill the restaurants because it gets to busy for them. Seriously?! this would of never happened at other high end resorts.
Our bathroom shower didn't have a door but a half wall which i have never seen before, this caused the whole bathroom floor to get soaked after each shower. This was such a problem and we never had enough towels.
The pool staff and buffet staff were very nice. Overall I felt like we paid a ton of money for a 5 star resort that was maybe a 3 at most.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments about Iberostar Cancun.
Thanks for your nice comments about our staff.

We are sorry to read that you found a bit inconvenient to making reservations, we ask our guests to make their dinner reservations in restaurants in order to guarantee there will be a place ready for them at the time they arrive. However we will share this comment with our public relations manager in order to fix this situation at the restaurants.
We hope to have the opportunity to have you again as a guest.

Iberostar Cancun

Been to Iberostar Cancun? Share your experiences!