“Great beach, fun staff, quiet rooms, good all-inclusive resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Cancun

You added Iberostar Cancun to your Saves list
Iberostar Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Kukulcan Km 17, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great beach, fun staff, quiet rooms, good all-inclusive resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

This was my first all-inclusive resort experience and we had a great time. Rooms were clean and all have nice ocean views I believe.

Staff told us that this resort caters to families and conferences and it seemed fairly empty when we stayed there - fine by me! Plenty of lounge chairs on the pool deck and at the beach. If you want a wild spring break crowd, don't stay at this resort. Beach was beautiful and pools were large. Unfortunately, there is no snorkeling in this area of Cancun. Better snorkeling, we were told, is near Playa del Carmen.

The resort's staff made the stay very fun. We loved chatting with the Star Friends. They would join us for lunch or afternoon snacks. We would see them in the evening in the lobby bar in their costumes prior to the evening show. Jesus, Arturo, Eddie, Uzi, and Erica took time to get to know us personally. They work 12 hour days, so it's quite something that they are always so friendly and outgoing. It was really something unique to my stay at the Iberostar. I would definitely stay with Iberostar again and will recommend it to others.

We really liked the food buffet. Great variety - including lots of healthy options such as made-to-order egg white omelette, grilled fish, steamed veggies, salad, fruit. Bar tenders were always friendly and quick with good drinks. We were not impressed, however, with the Gourmet restaurant. Don't waste your time there. The Japanese restaurant was good and I had a really good taco at the Mexican restaurant. Still, I liked the buffet the most.

Checking in and checking out were quick and efficient. No lines. I used the excellent fitness center several times.

We enjoyed our spa packages (our stay came with a resort credit of $250). Shirley gave a wonderful and relaxing hot stone massage.

One complaint: Wifi was pricey at $15 per day and since we were at the end of the corridor it seemed like the wifi signal was spotty. I had to walk to the inner court (near the elevator bank) to get good signal on several occassions.

Transportation tip: Get a shuttle van at the airport shuttle counter (as you exit customs) to the Iberostar for $16 oneway (they are much cheaper than the taxi) and book a return trip with the shuttle for half-price. Takes about 15 minutes. DON'T go to the people standing around in white shirts after customs hall - they are selling timeshares. They asked us where we were staying and said that their transportation was included in the hotel stay - it's not! Just a gimmick to get you a timeshare.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

We had a great time at the Iberostar! The ocean front junior suite we had was spectacular! The views were amazing! I stayed at the moon palace 3 months prior and preferred the Iberostar. The star friends: Arturo, Eddie, Usi, Victor, Erika, Jesus, Arno were entertaining. Everyday they had a smile on their face trying to get the crowd involved in the activities . The shows at night were also amazing. Can't wait to come back :)

• Stayed February 2012
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I just got back from a vacation at the Iberostar Cancun. Overall, it was great!
I got off to a rocky start- Check-in was a disaster. The man at the front desk could not find my name in the system. I spelled it several times and even asked if he would like to see my passport so that he can actually see how my name is spelled, since I thought that that was the problem. He said no. he then made me fill out this generic form and said that “my room wasn’t ready,” which I wasn’t sure how he knew that to be true if he couldn’t find me in the system? I asked if I can please have a room with 2 bed and he shouted, “THE ROOM ISN’T READY!” and I said that I understand that it isn’t ready (though I didn’t believe it), but can I have 2 beds? He then repeated the same information. I was extremely frustrated. I just gave up and returned after having lunch- he apologized and said he had been spelling my last name wrong and that it was his mistake; the room is ready. hello??
The buffets were good; nothing fantastic, but good. I went to the steakhouse and that was really good. I also went to the Mexican restaurant, which was also really good. I recommend both!
My room was on the 2nd floor, with a full balcony (meaning it was one that had a table and 2 chairs). The view was amazing! The room was nice and clean, but the AC did not work properly. We asked 2 hotel staffers for help setting it to a lower temperature, but they didn’t know how to fix it either. Some other people in our group experienced the same problem. Also, there was a bird living on the light fixture on our balcony which wasn’t so pleasant (or clean), but what can you do?
There are so many pools at this resort! You can literally have a pool to yourself if you want to! It’s unbelievable and very pretty! The staff does a great job keeping the pools clean, as well as the grounds. I always saw someone cleaning the beach, the pools, the restaurants, everywhere!
The Star Friends are awesome!! They are really what make this resort a good place to be! They always make sure you’re having fun and see how your day is going. After my bad check in experience, one of the Star Friends cheered me up. Shout out to my Star Friends/ bffs: Francisco, Jesus, Chocolatte, Arturo and Javier at the buffet. Very nice people! I miss them already!
Oh, and the drinks! They were good and pretty strong. Get the Dirty Monkey- it’s so delicious!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Charles, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Checked in early, and was updated to the most beautiful master suite. Fabulous view of all the property with an incredible balcony/hot tub. The pool area is enormous and the beach is beyond beautiful. The Star Friends made the trip for us. These adorable guys and girls were always around, trying to get us to join activities ~ they were so friendly and polite, they made our vacation even better.
Only downside to trip was the fact that there are no handrails going down the steps into the pool, and the first step was at least 1 foot deep. Hopefully this will be added on, because once you enter the pools, you never want to leave. The shows were fun and the staff work hard to please the guests. Restaurants are all clean, and food was good. The decor of the lobby and bar was fabulously modern ~ loved it! We cried when we left! Will definitely be back!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
everett
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed there the last week in February through the first week of March. Weather was great and the hotel seemed mostly empty.
This was our first “real” vacation, so I can’t compare it to another property. I can say that the staff and service was top-notch. They were always there to answer any question and get me anything I wanted.
The décor was clean and elegant. There was always a service member cleaning or fixing something in sight, but never in our way. Some minor improvements are still needed such as our balcony light not working (never communicated this), and wobbly ceiling fans in the Mexican restaurant.
Our room was great! We enjoyed the balcony and glad to have spent the extra money. I would have been very upset to get an ocean view room from the north side of the building. The furniture and bed were comfortable and shower not a problem. The floor did get wet but that didn’t bother me. The towel rack was out of reach from inside the shower/tub which was annoying. The mini bar was fine, but wasn’t restocked one day. I told the maid, and he restocked it right away and apologized. Everyday there was a towel decoration and flower pedals on our bed, which was a nice touch. It would be nice if they provided a few American channels to choose from.
The pool was nice. We enjoyed the pool bar, and Jacuzzis. The resort wasn’t crowed and we always found a desirable spot. I didn’t have a problem with the towel cards. We exchanged our wet towel for a clean one whenever we felt like it, and didn’t ask for the towel cards until we were ready to check-out. There was also a nice river that snaked through the Villas and garden.
The beach was also awesome. White sand and turquoise surf! Lounging in the shade under the hot sun is where we spent most of our time. A waitress was always there to bring us whatever drink we wanted.
The buffet was nice, but it was only open during certain times. The room service was 24/7, but had a specific menu that you had to stick to. The service in the buffet, and all of the restaurants, was great! But it was disappointing and disgusting, not being able to find a clean glass without spots. The fried food wasn’t good, it was always cold and the oil used was nasty.
The alacart restaurants were great! I could see it hard to get a reservation if the resort is full. All of them had fantastic food and service. The Japanese and Steak were the best. The chefs of the Japanese were fantastic and really put on a show as they cooked in-front of you. But there was only one thing on the menu. The Steak restaurant cooked on open flame and made great steaks. I was surprised that there was not a single steak knife on the entire resort.
The Gourmet restaurant, on the other hand needs serious improvement. I was very disappointed! My steak was overcooked and tough, impossible to cut with the knife provided. My Wife’s red snapper was undercooked and disgusting to her. The acoustics of the room were terrible! When there was a loud party at a table, it ruined the meal for the rest of us. I asked the waiter to do something, but I was forced to say something to the “drunks” myself….. I was later thanked by a few guests for doing so.
Golf was great. Iberostar Cancun has a great course. Great greens. Great fairways. Fantastic service! Nice wild life including iguanas and alligators. But, some of the water holes had a horrible smell. They smelled like an outhouse, and it made me gag. The other 95% of the course was great, and I enjoyed great golf.
All of the staff was great, especially the Star Friends crew, a special thanks to you all of you!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the pool/ocean (S.E.) are MUCH better than rooms overlooking the roof of the b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I must say I was very nervous about staying at this resort after reading all the negative reviews and after finding out that the hotel was full. We got to the resort around 11 AM. We were given a drink while standing at the front desk, which so many people complained about not getting. We were told our room would be ready at 12:30 (check in is at 3). When we went back to the front desk at 12:40, we were given our room keys as promised. We had nice, clean rooms which is what I want on vacation. They were not fancy, but not outdated either. The only bad thing I will say is the size of the "balcony". But then again, I only slept and showered/got ready in my room.

The most important thing for me is the beach/pool area. The pool is area is huge! Lots of beach chairs and palapas. Even the beach had tons of chairs and palapas. This is the first vacation I have ever been on where I didn't have to set my alarm to go and pick out our beach chairs. Every day we were able to get in the front row of chairs/huts!

The Star Friends are amazing, always interacting with people, both on the beach and by the pool. They put in extremely long hours and always have a smile on their face!

There really isn't any nightlife at this resort (I tell people it is a sleepy resort for its size), except for the nightly show. But that is what I loved about it! If I wanted nightlife, it is only a cheap bus ride to that part of town.

I don't have much to say about the food. Pretty much like all the other all-inclusive resorts I have been at. The main buffet has a HUGE selection for all meals and a little something for everyone. The Steakhouse and Mexican Restaurants were ok. My best meal of the week was off the resort.

I did have one spa treatment. I was so relaxed that I fell asleep! Enough said!

I had a hard time believing that the resort was full. I commented daily how there was so few people around. Even with a conference going on, it was never full of people.

All that said, I would definitely come back again. It was the most relaxing vacation I have ever had!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarMexico, Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing your very kind review of our property. You can be assured that we make the extra effort in ensuring that your stay is the most enjoyable. It is an honor to hear that we satisfied in most of our services and entertainment.

We look forward to hearing how we can assist on your next trip, please feel free to email us!

Best Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Came here with a group of 8 adults for a long weekend and was a fun getaway for a group. Rooms were okay, pool area was great, beach was great, food was okay - close to the airport and easy to jump on the city bus to go shopping or downtown. The staff was helpful but EXTREMELY slow; we had to constantly wait for the front desk staff and the hotel was basically empty. Last year I stayed with my family at the Iberostar Tucan and much preferred the atmosphere at this property.

Room Tip: Balcony room facing South
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments about Iberostar Cancun. Our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests. Please be assured that I will share your feedback with the rest of the team.

Indeed, we have opportunities to improve and we use this feedback as a learning tool for our staff. We look forward to your return visits.

Kind Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico

Been to Iberostar Cancun? Share your experiences!