“A perfect vacation for family of 6” 5 of 5 stars

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Nizuc, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #24 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Greenville, New York
“A perfect vacation for family of 6”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

Please let me start by saying that I work at a family and golf resort owned by my wife's family in Upstate NY (Great Northern Catskills). They are a very successful resort and we know a little bit about what a family resort should be and shouldn't be.
This place was SOOOOOO much more than I thought it would be. The setting is incredible. The first couple of days the beach had a bunch of seaweed that had washed onshore. With that said, there was an entire crew that worked for hours each day to rake and bag the seaweed off the beach. The next few days the seaweed subsided and it was non-existent for the rest of the trip. This is an example of the length they will go to make everything as nice as possible.
We have 4 kids under 10. Obviously this was a concern of ours. After being there for a few hours we were so pleased to see that the entire resort was geared toward their safety and entertainment. I can not say enough about their staff, especially Olga and Alma who worked literally day and night with energy and enthusiasm.
Because of the Mini Club Med and Kids Club Med options, my wife and I were able to enjoy tennis lesson with Jose Luis!! He was the perfect coach/instructor for that setting.
I went into this vacation vowing to NEVER to let my children go off with anyone much less take my eyes off my children. Believe me when I say there is no need to worry about their safety. I am a vigilante father when it comes to my kids well being . You know where they are at ALL times. There is a schedule and is followed to almost the minute.
FOOD - I can honestly say that the food selection is probably the best I have ever seen. The food was fresh, well prepared and the variety was second to none. It was clean, the staff was incredibly helpful and so pleasant at EVERY meal. Even when the resort was getting full towards the end of the week we NEVER waited for anything.
We stayed there for 7 nights, 6 days and not once were we disappointed by any meal, activity, interaction with a staff member, or timeliness of an event.
The pool is huge! The beach couldn't be closer or cleaner. The restaurants are extremely well run and efficient.
Another great byproduct of being there is the opportunity for you and your children to meet people from other countries and cultures. My second oldest daughter met a girl who spoke only French. My daughter speaks only English. I can't tell you how many hours they spent with each other while teaching/learning the other language.
The weather is really amazing at this time of year. Warm, but not hot. The water was warm. I'm sure the summer months are scorching, but at this time of year it's amazing!
I can't imagine vacationing anywhere else after being here.
Again, I recommend this place with a firm knowledge of how resorts should be run and operated. This one passes with flying colors!!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Korean first
Newton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

My husband and I were very, very happy with Club Med. We are thinking about returning in the spring. We travelled with two other couples and a single friend. They liked it, but had been to other places in Cancun on previous trips that they liked better--however, they were not considering the value for the money. In both cases, they had stayed at much more expensive resorts. Sometimes people fail to take that into account when they make comparisons.

We agree with the sort of inexperienced staff, but they were SO friendly and SO accommodating, that it more than made up for it. The Club Med experience (ours, anyway) was that you have so much interaction with the staff at all the various activities throughout the day that you really get to know the individuals. Where else do you see a show and say "Oh, that's so-and-so--we met him at the trapeze?" It made us feel like part of a big party of friends.

My favorite aspect is the stretch of beach that is not for swimming--it's so private, since everyone else is over at the swimming area. You can take a drink and a book and relax in a lounge chair under an umbrella and read to the sounds of the waves.

My friends wouldn't listen--they just had to have dinner at the reservations-only Steak restaurant and the Mexican restaurant. Those were the only nights that the food was disappointing. The buffet restaurant was WONDERFUL. You couldn't beat the selection and the menu/theme changed every night. Late lunch at the restaurant that serves Mexican was fantastic--sitting outside on the deck with the ocean view was great.

A special shout-out to Manny at reception and Antonio, who taught us to sail. Also, they had a couple of duos with guitars who performed brief (45 minute) sets daily. The only problem with that was just when people started to get into it and up and dancing--they were done. For the middle-aged folks this music was more fun than the music played at the nightclub.

I'm going to guess that it was not that we caught 'bad' weather, but that November is probably a windy time there. I don't know for sure if it was the season, but it was really windy until about 10 a.m. and then the wind picked up at about 4 p.m. and lasted all night every day we were there.

Anyway, we had a great trip and would definitely go back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
distrito federal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Some months ago I went to Med Ixtapa Pacific. That was really incredible. (see my comments at TripAdvisor). Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about Club Med Cancun. The main difference here is the G.O.s. In Ixtapa everybody was good-tempered. In Cancun, the GO just complain about they have to work 12 hours a day, they spent 15 minutes walking to their lodging, they are not sure whether if they will renew their contracts, etc.

Of course, you will find very nice GOs like Elder, Pancho or Clebe, but that is not the rule here. I do believe Mr. Eduardo has a lot to do here.

Besides, the bad-tempered GOs, the local is perfect. Ten minutes from the airport, with a very fantastic blue beach. Nice people at sailing, but impolite at free snorkeling.

The food is ok; but, Ixtapa is superior. The rooms need a reformation. Anyway, little changes can make this nice place better.

By the way, never rent a car inside the Club Med. The agent ii Thrifitty is really dishonest.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Is there any place better on earth than Club Med Yucatan? This was my first Club Med experience and I am HOOKED! From the time we arrived to the time we departed our every need was taken care of. We were greeted with glasses of iced tea and water. Our room was beautiful. It wasn't too crowded. The beaches had the whitest sands and the ocean was positively gorgeous. We did some snorkeling, kayaking, swimming and my boyfriend did some water skiing. We wanted to go scuba diving but my boyfriend has asthma and this was "problem" explained the sexy scuba diving instructor in his best Antonio Banderas voice. The foods were delicious and all you can eat as was the alcohol. They have a large pool and lots of nice four person beach lounges that were perfect for laying out and reading. I got a massage in the relaxation zone and it was fabulous. I have never been more relaxed in my life. We also did one of the excursions, we went to swim with the dolphins at the Wet and Wild nearby. This cost extra (it was not included in the all inclusive hotel package.) but the hotel set it up for us with no problem. I highly recommend swimming with the dolphins. You get to do tricks like the trainers do at Sea World. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.
A note about security, I was a little nervous about security given the current problems in Mexico right now. I read the State Department's travel warnings and saw that the vast majority of security issues were in other areas of the country. There were a ton of security guards around the hotel complex. They control access to the facility. I felt like they had the security situation under control. Also, other than to go swim with the dolphins, we never had to leave the hotel.
Another side note, we did see a lot of iguanas around the facility. They generally stayed out of the most populated areas of the complex but there were a lot of them on the path near the Jade buildings, near the tennis courts and on the path to the secondary restaurant. I also noticed them in the relaxation zone. The iguanas are not mean or anything and I did not have a problem with them but I am not scared of lizards. If you are scared of lizards, this might not be the place for you, or you might want to go with a friend who can scare them away for you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

On the plus side, this Club Med village in Cancun was nicely renovated, is in a prime location and the food is just excellent. On the negative, some of the rooms are noisy due to the proximity of a mechanical piece of equipment. In my case, however, it was not a major issue and generally speaking, I consider the Club Med village of Cancun a really nice place to spend a vacation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
DeSoto, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

I had never been a guest at a Club Med resort before, so I didn't really know what to expect... but I loved every minute of my stay there! The best thing about Club Med were all of the included activities. In my short stay, I tried kayaking, sailing, snorkeling, and even the trapeze. They also have waterskiing and wakeboarding in the lagoon. There are many different kinds of fitness classes throughout the day and tennis lessons as well. The staff makes it to where you are completely safe and you cannot fail. It was so much fun!
I have stayed at other all-inclusive resorts before and I would say that the food here is very good. We enjoyed the buffet for most meals, there was always more than enough to choose from! From beef wellington or fajitas to frog legs or sushi, I tried so many delicious foods. During the day they have fun activities that you can participate in, or just watch. Each evening there was a show in the theater and dancing in the nightclub.
The staff was amazing! They all seemed to be the nicest people ever, and they make it there job to make sure you enjoy your stay.
The location is fantastic! You are surrounded by two beaches and a lagoon, so every time you turn a corner, there is another beautiful view. Also, no worries about things being dangerous in Mexico right now, this resort was completely safe, and they had plenty of security guards around keeping an eye on things as well.
I had never experienced Club Med before, but now, I don't want to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Napa Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This was our first time to Club Med Cancun but our 6th Club Med vacation having been Ixtapa, Crested Butte (before it closed) and to Punta Cana 3 times. This trip was a reward trip for my husband's office staff and their spouses for meeting a goal they set at work. There were 16 in our group, most had never been to Club Med before.

We only were able to stay 4 nights...I would have loved another week at least. The club was only about half full so it was great to be able to do al the activities we wanted without waiting. Everyone in our group pretty much did their own thing but we did plan one excursion together and one dinner all together. The excursion office did a great job setting up a private tour for us to Tulum and to a Cenote for swimming. The usual trip to Tulum is on Thursdays but since we only had a few days they arranged it for our group only on Sat. We had one of the best guides I have ever had on a tour, Cesar. He was extremely knowledgeable about the geography of the Yucatan peninsula, the history of the Mayan people and the creation of cenotes (underground freshwater pool/caverns). The tour, from 7:30am to 3:30pm was the highlight of the trip for many.

The club itself was wonderful. Very good and abundant food served at various times during the day. Always something going on if you wanted to be doing something but plenty of places to relax in a quiet spot of you wanted. We especially liked the beach just past the sailing and windsurfing area as the water was calm as glass and it was beautifully peaceful. We stayed in the Granate building which had a beautiful ocean view and was very centrally located. Many in our group went to the club and danced each night until 2:00am. I mainly did waterskiing, kayaking, and snorkeling. There is so much to do in addition to these things...trapeze, sailing, windsurfing, water aerobics, fitness classes, etc, etc.

But what really sets Club Med apart from other resorts is the staff. the GOs are outgoing, friendly and inclusive. Many in our group who had not been to a Club Med before commented on how friendly they were and how it added to their enjoyment of the trip. I especially want to mention Pablo with the waterski team, Elder from the boutique, who was my dance partner one night for a dance contest (we got 2nd place!) and Carlos of the sports team. These GOs go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and included. Unfortunately the new chef du village, Eduardo, was in France for training so we missed meeting him. A very friendly French woman substituted for him and she did a fine job (can't remember her name, sorry!). Carlos was a real standout though. He led the crazy signs each night and made a point to make people feel included, always saying "come closer," "no vips here". I have been to some Club Meds where the GOs at times act as though it's their party and the GMs (guests) feel left out. Carlos never did that. He was warm, outgoing and professional did a great job whatever activity he was leading. He is a real asset to Club Med Cancun.

The club is beautiful with 3 separate beach areas and I think they have the best spot in all of Cancun. 15 min from the airport and worlds away from everything. Never went into Cancun as we wanted to get way from all that but the action of Cancun is just a taxi ride away of you want it. Very much enjoyed our 7th Club Med stay. It's our favorite beach vacation and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Club Med Cancun Yucatan? Share your experiences!