“Beautiful Beaches and Beautiful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Nizuc, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #18 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
West Virginia
“Beautiful Beaches and Beautiful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

I was at CM Cancun in May 2014 as part of a group who reserved the whole CM resort. I stayed in the Jade building and can say it was absolutely wonderful! Most of all the staff of Jade are exceptional Alanna (you are fabulous), Nuri, Elia (very special person), Jonathan, Gabriella, Poco, Carlos and many more that made the trip unforgettable. I stayed 1st floor garden view and it was beautiful.
I needed some special service - a chiropractor and Jade staff had one by end of day! Special Thanks to Jade staff who made me feel like I was at home and taken care of and the cook at Mexican restaurant near Jade for my meals and for personally coming to my table to greet me once I was able to make it back to the restaurant! All of you are incredible! If you believe the people make the place than this is for you, they will do ANYTHING for you.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Korean first
Italian in California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

This review focuses on the facilities and familiy-friendly activities. We vacationed here on August 2014, me (the father) and three kids aged 4 to 14. I am told that since most Club Med resorts were the first to be stablished in a location, they use the best possible location for an all-inclusive resort. This is certainly true for the Club Med in Cancun. The resort occupies a long stretch of beach that forms also a 90 degree angle so that on one side there is a view of the long Cancun beach with the other hotels and resort, but on the other side the view is very open on the caribbean sea. This is the side in front of the building where we lodged (called Aguamarina). The overal beach stretch includes the main beach, a partly rocky but very accessible beach with a "private" reef and the narrower but very empty beach in front of the Aguamarina building, the sailing/kayaking facility and the mexican restaurant. While some of the buildings may have simple, maybe dated rooms, the Aguamarina is brand new and sports double rooms ("master" bedroom and kids bedroom) with one bathroom and 1/2, private balcony or lawn with recliners, pretty much on the beach; and some of them even with shower on the patio! Hard to ask for more.
Differently from resorts sporting 5 or 6 restaurants, here there are a main buffet restaurant, a mexican one and a steak house. We did not try the steak house. Club Med makes up with the quality of the food for the smaller number of venues compared with other resorts. The buffet had a different theme (Italian, french, mexican, caribbean...) every day, all with the highest quality. The dessert buffet was fantastic with a clear french influence and excellent pastry chefs (forget the pathetic, soggy and oversized croissants found in most US chain hotels). Included wines could be better. Premium wines (if you call premium a $ 10 bottle at a US winestore) were overpriced at 4+ times US retail. Included alcohol long drinks and cocktails were perfectly adequate. Espresso at the bar pleased my Italian tastebuds.

The 9-to-5 activities for the kids aged 4 to 10 (small pool, circus, arts and crafts, water sports, games like Pinata, kids meal room at restaurant) were perfect, the best part being the dedication and affection showed by the mostly mexican GO ("gentle organizers") ladies entertaining the kids: My kids cried for days after we left because they were missing Lorena - one of the GOs. I do not have enough words to thank these young GOs for their love of the kids and for allowing me to have some time and space away from my kids. My teenager daughter had a great time getting to know new friends at the teenager club, called "Carwash". She and other teen agers had a great time hanging out by the pool as late as 3 am, but without disturbing other vacationers.Teen ager club includes even water sky! All my kids are asking to go again next year and tell me that this was the best vacation ever.

GOs managing sailing, snorkelin and kayaking activities were friendly and pleasant, mostly competent. Occasionally we had to wait 20 minutes to get a catamaran as there were more people asking for them around 11-am to noon. Tennis private lessons were about $ 40 US for one or two people.

Wifi for one week was about $ 70 and I got it - well worth.

There are also plenty of adult activites: sports competition, classes, yoga, morning walks, live music and DJ dances...the list goes on.

Tourist composition when we were there was about 40-50% French or French-Canadian, 30% US, 10% other European and 10% South American (quite many Argentinians).

Day excursions to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Xel-Ha are expensive and we did not sign up for them. Our recipe: before going to the resort we rented a car and stayed for two nights in Chichen Itza at the wondeful Mayaland hotel. Who needs an organized day trip when you can drive and enjoy the great ruins before the tourist hoardes get there?

Granby, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

fabulous stay on what i felt like was a secluded part of the peninsula. rooms were typical club med quality, though air conditioning was not as good as expected food was good, but too much grouper. activities were very good - learned to waterski! beaches were good, though i didn't need to buy silver on the beach

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
clubmedofficial, Owner at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, September 24, 2014
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the secluded location, variety of activities, and food. We are sorry that you did not have proper air conditioning and will be following up with the property regarding this! Thank you again for informing us of your experience. Come back again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We spent a week at CM Cancun and had a great time.

The beach is beautiful, it's the nicest beach I have been to and I have traveled a fair amount in the Carrib, perfect for small children. The buffett food is good w/ a wide variety. We also enjoyed both the steak and Mexican restaurants. The had a great reggae band one night and overall a wide variety of entertainment and things to do other than the beach.

Finally, the Car Wash ["teen club"] was excellent. I need to call out Ricardo, who does an excellent job corraling the teens as they come into the hotel, befriending them and helping them to form a club. My 17 and 15 y olds made many friends. It was so so sad when they all came down to reception to see us off. They were all hugging each other and misty eyed, a really nice seen. We barely saw our kids because they had so much fun [thanks again Ricardo!].

I would also like compliment the following for a job well done: Carlos [in the dining oom - first week at work], Daniel at the bar and Abrahim bringing dinks on the beach.

There were no downers or negatives, but if you are expecting a 5 star hotel w/ top notch dining and rooms, this is not for you. It is geared towards families and activities and does a great job at that. The rooms are a bit spartan, but the maid staff keeps them very clean.

Other general comments/tips:
- contrary to the recent reviews, we had no issues w/ the French [I would say the resort was 80% French our week].
- The WIFI does not work well, better to upgrade your cell plan to international before you go. This is a good idea if you are going w/ older kids so you can communicate w/ them via text.
-the dinks were good and not poured lightly.
-You may need to get up a bit early to reserve a chair if you are with a large party.

Overall, we had a great family vacation and would return to ClubMed.

Room Tip: chose a room off of the first floor, it can be loud at times as people walk past the bldg
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the phenomenal review! We are so glad that you enjoyed the beach, variety and quality of food in the dining room and restaurants, as well as our live entertainment. Additionally, we’re pleased to learn that your children had such a great experience at the Car Wash and that our G.O.s could so positively contribute to your experience! Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. We’re thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the Club Med Cancun experience and cannot wait to see you again soon.
Atlanta, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

As a family we stayed 2 weeks at Club Med Cancun. Our children's age are 9, 6, 3.
The hotel looks nice and has a beautiful beach unfortunately surrounded by huge buildings. The staff is very friendly and willing to help.
My 3,5 years old had to go to Petit Club which is for babies. He was bored, had to swim with braces because of Club Med policies. He wanted to be with his siblings. My 9 year old was bored and did not want to go to kids club. I had to sign in and out the kids all the time and run around.
We had a lot of dirty laundry and Club Med Cancun doesn't offer washing machine to his guests as they do in other Club Med.
If you want to visit around be aware that the Club Med excursions are pricey.
You can't book the tennis court in advance. So you need to dress, take a shuttle all the way to the tennis courts and see if there is availability.
You have to book the restaurants the day before at 7pm. And there is not often availability
On top of all wifi is not free.
All this makes the stay expensive for what you get.

PROS:
friendly GO
good for adults sports
GO very entertaining
good food

CONS:
Not enough beach chairs and umbrellas for all guests.
Not convenient if you have children of different age.
No washing machine at the guest disposal.
You have to make a reservation the night before for the restaurants.
You can't book tennis courts.
No free wifi.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the detailed and informative review! We are sorry that your children did not enjoy the Petit and Kids clubs and that you were unable to clean your laundry on site.
Additionally, we are sorry that you were unhappy with the price and availability of available activities and restaurants as well as the lack of open chairs and free wireless internet.

We’re pleased to learn that you were happy with the food, entertainment provided by our G.Os , and adult sports. We would like to thank you again for providing us with your feedback and will be sure to share it with the property!
Middletown, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Other than the fact that the facilities are very dated and not nearly as luxurious as say the Hard Rock up the strip, our stay at Club Med was very nice. Food in the Main Buffet was actually very good for an all-inclusive. The Steakhouse and the Mexican Restaurants are not worth eating at - both had pretty slow service and the food quality was only ok.

I am probably jaded from staying at true 5 star resorts, so for most folks this place will probably rank as a "vacation of a lifetime". Look into other resorts if you expect the very best.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms near the reception area or you will be walking quite a bit to get anywhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

My family and I just returned from Club Med Cancun, Yucatan and loved it! It was the vacation of a lifetime! Fine dining, fine drinks, and fine entertainment await all Club Med-ers--the veterans and the first-timers, like ourselves. The GOs (employees in charge of guest relations) were AMAZING!!! In particular, we most enjoyed Tammy from South Africa, Ricardo from Mexico, and Gabriella from Ottowa. Tammy was in charge of the Junior (ages 11-13) Car Wash kids club. My 11 year old daughter had tears in her eyes when we were driving to the airport on the way from the resort; she wasn't sad because she was going to miss the gorgeous turquoise water or the amazing entertainment, but her tears came from having to leave Tammy and all the wonderful friends she'd made at Club Med. My son is 14 and had a great time with the Senior Car Wash kids group (ages 14-17). On our first walk through the resort, Ricardo spotted my son wearing a ski brand shirt and immediately struck up a conversation. My son and daughter spent every day with the Car Wash crew which we felt completely comfortable with. Our children were so happy to be with kids their own ages and my husband and I were so happy to know that they were in friendly, responsible and fun hands with Tammy and Ricardo. These two wonderful, young people are a gift to the resort and the kids who "hang out" at the Car Wash.

One of the many GOs who approached my husband and I and children to get to know us was Gabriella. We met her at the reception desk where her smile totally lit up the room. She answered all of our questions and made sure we were happy. She is kind, friendly, out-going and sincere--- AND, she is completely competent! We were on our way to lunch and she was going to be on her way, too, so she asked if she could join us. We really enjoyed getting to know all of the GOs, but we especially enjoyed getting to know and seeing Gabriella out and about. She knew us by name! And, when you are in a foreign country in a full resort with over a thousand other travelers from all over the world, nothing encourages comfort and security like a friendly GO like Gabriella and her personalized greetings!

Club Med is an amazing resort and an experience that we will never forget. Oh, and the powder-soft, cream colored sand and turquoise, warm ocean on the private beach are also pretty awesome, too! ;)

Room Tip: We stayed in Opalo which was a great location overlooking the lagoon. All rooms are beautiful and fe...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Club Med Cancun Yucatan? Share your experiences!