“Perfect Family Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect Family Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

First off, a shout out to the wonderful Nathalie at Margarita Travel for helping us arrange our plans, she was always responsive immediately to questions and we had the perfect room for our family. Second, a shout out to the GOs … thanks to the fabulous tennis team, you guys made our son's vacation so memorable and we loved our chances to get to know you all. May, you were lovely as well and our daughter loved how well you handled such a huge group of teens in the car wash, keeping them out of trouble, yet being "cool" … you work as hard as anyone in the club! Aziz, you run a fantastic village, and your warmth was easy to see .. loved meeting all the Moroccans and learning so much about your country … hope to visit there one day. Thanks also to everyone else I didn't mention, it was a great week. The beach and waters of this location are amazing, the only difficulty was finding enough time to sleep!!!! The mornings are so peaceful on the beach, the days filled with activities, the nights filled with fun and new friends. This place is perfect for all ages, if you just want to lay on the beach, it's about as beautiful as anywhere. If you want to be active, there are SOOOO many things to do and the GOs will happily help you learn and play. Every night is fun as well. Be sure to invite the GOs to eat with you, you are missing out on a huge cultural experience if you don't. We had so many laughs and learned so much about the world eating with different GOs at lunch and dinner. I can't say enough, my 15 year old daughter and 14 year old son were both thrilled with everything as were we. Absolutely the perfect vacation!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Korean first
Florham Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Just back from spring break with my 14 year old daughter. Have to thank Aziz and all the GO team for everything from arrival through departure. I've never met a team anywhere that seems like they are having fun regardless of the activity or time of day. I rarely saw my 14 year old as she was with the teens in the Car Wash group from breakfast through dinner, and again after dinner doing beach activities, snorkel, watersports, trapeze, or waterski, as well as just hanging with all her new friends from around the world. And for me, the clear blue waters of Cancun and the white sand beaches were welcoming for swim,waterski, snorkel and kayak. The waterski team was patient as they got me up on the wakeboard, woo hoo. Also, up on the trapeze, try it for sure. Was disappointed I couldn't get into a windsurfing lesson as they could only accomodate 6 GM's per day, don't know why, and there were all the Type A crazies in line 30 mins before signup each day, same people that were at out dawn taking all the shade chairs on the beach and pool by layout out their towels and things only to rarely use them, if at all, during the day. Had the chance to have a few lunches with GO team members, who each have amazing stories, couldn't be more gracious and wonderful people. Be prepared for the strong sun, and make sure you bring plenty of sunscreen as the prices in the shop are more than 2x what you would pay at home. Plenty to keep you busy both day and night, or just lounge if you like. Also, enjoyed the pool boys bringing drinks. I'd give the food a B+, nothing exceptional, but solid nonetheless. The baked goods and desserts are all amazing as you would expect. The drinks are plentiful, although largely disappointing, and don't be fooled by the tag line, premium liquors, it's all lightly poured and shelf no name brands, if you ask for a higher end liquor, it's for an extra fee. Unlike other clubs we've been to, this is more spanish language speaking, than others for us which have been more french. The room AC struggles to keep up with the humidity, but any occasion for us to visit the front desk was met with smiles and valiant attempts to meet our needs. They do offer wifi for sale, although at the price of club med, should be included at this point, and the bandwidth is limited, so expect slow and intermittent service. Make sure you get to see both the Michael Jackson show and the Music Factory shows put on by the very talented GO team and choreographed by Mina from Japan, herself an incredible dancer. By far the biggest and best Club Med we've been to yet.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a lot of walking if you aren't close by the pool and main restaurant areas.
Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mount Kisco, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We just got back from Club Med Cancun, and I can't say enough good things about this place! This is the perfect vacation for people like us. We are an active couple with two children 8 and 5. There was so much to do for all of us. The girls loved the mini club! Each day, they were given priority times for trapeze, snorkeling, sailing, tennis, and pool time. They met kids their age and got a chance to have a little independence from us. Mini club leaders were so engaging and fun that the kids loved it. They were all excellent, but Emilio, aka "Prince Chicken Nugget" and Adrianna were certainly kid favorites. At the same time, we could sign them in or out throughout the day as we and they chose. We got time to take daily tennis lessons, my wife did Zumba, I played beach volleyball, and we had plenty of time on the beach. Food was excellent and so was the service. The whole family came back with great memories. We had the perfect mix of together time and alone time. Can't wait to take another Club Med vacation!

Pinehurst, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The beach was nice, beautiful clear water that you expect in Cancun. Located in a cove, the water is rather calm. Having not been to Club Med in 30 years, I was surprised when they didn't put my wallet in a safe, and take me to a simple room without a key on the door! I was a little disappointed that Club Med has changed so much, it is really very much like any other all inclusive resort. My teenage son had a good time, there were many activities. The food was very very good at times, but not really great. The room was good - the air conditioning did not work well at all, so it was very warm in the room, the staff could not fix it. The beds were tiny, and not especially comfortable. I had two very good massages at the spa, it's pretty expensive, though. Overall a good trip, but I would probably go somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: There is a more upscale section called Jade, but I do not see any advantage to staying there
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Service = Top Notch!
Quality = Top Notch!
Location = Top Notch!

Why go anywhere else? Well.....

After A short 15 minute drive (at the very most) from the airport (we were picked up by the Hotel Shuttle. A very pleasant experience!) ...we arrived at the main Lobby after driving through the resort gate and then through the construction zone. Not an issue for us at all but first impression was....."ok this is not what I was expecting!" lol The only time we saw this area was when we were arriving and then when we left.

Located at one end or "the beginning of Cancun beach" - the resort is dated a little but overall in great condition.

If you want peace and tranquility at least part-time while in Paradise - then Club Med Cancun is the place!

The water was so calm for 7 days and then the waves and wind picked up during our last 2 days. This also coincided with our flight being cancelled due to the huge storm up the Eastern Seaboard.
We were delighted with the extended stay as we moved from our room to the room next door due to our room having been booked by other guests already. We were already packed but that wasn’t a problem at all! Thankfully it was only a few short steps to the room next door.

So many thanks to all the GO’s, GE’s etc. From the Chef de Village who was so pleasant, always smiling, always shook our hands and asked "HOW IS EVERYTHING" to the New Manager of Leisure from Monacco who was great. A big shout out to Bola the entertainment manager, Danny the Bar Manager, Manuel and Javier in the DJ/Audio services, Fernando in Mini-Club who was a great dinner and disco companion! Jessica in restaurants is a sweetheart and was always there to make sure we were happy and helped us with the "Tie-Dye" shirt that everyone wanted to steal for Brazilian night! Lol That was one of the best nights for sure! The drummers and the dancers were fantastic! Again "Parabens" (Congrats) to Bola for a job well done!
Eli in restaurants was also a sweetheart. We spoke with her many times. All these GO’s really wanted to get to know us as well as tell us all about their lives. Although they were all fantastic, some opened up about how much they missed their families back home.

Front Desk/Check in staff were also wonderful. The Manager was very helpful and with Anna’s help they checked on our cancellation and provided flight info and the extra night at no charge.
Of course we can’t remember everyone who we met but Rodrigo who did the water aerobics and Zumba was so motivating and awesome to talk with as well.
We had dinner with many GO’s over the 8-9 days we were there. Another shout out to Gerry from Mexico and Amira from Morocco who were great to talk with.

Oh and Jose Louis! In Charge of Sports! He was always smiling and had time to talk with us whenever we bumped into him!
Noemi in the Gift Shop was also very sweet and helpful!

Erasmo the bartender(not a GO but a GE perhaps?)....Was a great guy and excellent bartender. I never once waited at the bar when he was working. It was his birthday on our last day. However there was one bartender who was not very nice. I believe he was Jose and was moved from the main bar to the smaller “Towel building Bar”. We noticed he was still “scowly” when we saw him there! But for all the dozen’s of staff we came in contact with he was the only one with a bad attitude.

And the food!!!! It was amazing!!! We met the Head Chef and always saw him in the main buffet smiling and welcoming us. A big congratulations to him for a fantastic job he is doing with the food at this resort. Loved the Mexican night and The Italian night especially! We have stayed at many all inclusive resorts and at one other Club Med but this CM in Cancun is the best we have ever experienced!

We hope to be back soon!!!!

Ciao, Muchas Gracias y Merci Beaucoup!!!!

Room Tip: The ones closer to the beach would have been nice but we were very happy with our room which was in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I am an admitted Club Med Junkie. I knew it ‘back then’, and I know it now. Although the atmosphere of the club has changed over the years, the backbone of Club Med remains the same. Club Med provides all guests (GM’s) with enough activities to create a fun-filled vacation at a fraction of the price it would cost to participate in those same activities at any other resort – all-inclusive, or not! Club Med Cancun has something for everyone on Land and at Sea. It offers watersports like sailing with Joe’s team, windsurfing, sea kayaking, water skiing, snorkeling (in a state park on the property), and aqua gym. All of these activities are run by the most energetic, friendly folks you’ll ever meet. They live on property, are from all over the world, and teach you activities during the day, perform in shows at night, and hangout with you in the evenings dancing, talking and just playing around. These staff members at called GO’s, and they are the heart and soul of any Club Med.

Any time a GO is out of their room, they are ‘working’, even if they aren’t at their specific job. You’ll see Jose Louis, who is head of the Sports team, roaming around the village all day. He’ll stop and talk to you about what you’ve been doing, and answer questions about the activities that are available and the start times for all activities. He also stops by with a smile and friendly hello. The GO’s at Club Med are not like the staff you’ll find at any other all-inclusive. They love their jobs, they love people, and they love to share their passion for their ‘sport’ with anyone who has an interest. And they bring a LOT of skills to the job. They are all very interesting people to get to know. I enjoyed talking with Rodrigo from the land sports team each day, May from the mini-club and having lunch with Paula and Willow from reception. The GO staff make you feel like you are part of a family of folks who are on vacation together. They really want you to have a good experience and have fun, so they go out of their way to be helpful. And when you sit down and talk to them, you’ll find out what a great group of people they really are. One of my favorites was Jeff. He taught Salsa lessons 2 times/ day. He breaks these dances down into easy to learn steps, and works with each student individually to help them get as much out of the class as possible. Salsa, Mambo, Bachata….all these and more will become part of your skill set, if you spend an hour a day with Jeff. Do it…you’ll amaze your friends the next time you are out on the town.

In addition to the water sports, Club Med Cancun has a full schedule of stretching, Zumba and workout classes, tennis, beach volleyball, beach ‘games’, and my favorite – Flying trapeze! I became addicted to Flying Trapeze in 1992 at Club Med St Lucia. There is nothing more exhilarating than jumping off the board, performing your trick and flying to the catcher! And at Club Med Cancun, the Circus team, led by Alexandre from Brazil, is a fine-tuned team. Alex’s team of Charles, Kris, Rolando and Betinha will teach you everything you need to know to experience this wonderful sport in an extremely safe atmosphere. They walk you through the process step-by-step, and exhibit more patience than you would expect. I spent 2 hours a day with them for 8 days and saw them deal with all kinds of people and attitudes with smiles on their faces and confidence, which made it easier for all the folks who came to trapeze to feel at ease doing something that is generally out of most peoples comfort zones. Alex and his team explain what to do, help you do it, and then provide very specific feedback to you when you are done, so that the next time you go up, you’ll have any even better experience. These professionals are spectacular teachers, and beathtaking performers. You’ll get to see their enormous talents during 2 different Circus shows during the week. These are NOT to be missed. Do yourself a favor and go over to the trapeze rig your first day and give it a try. Adult time is 4 – 6. Come in dry clothes and ready to have fun! That way, if you love it, you’ll be able to do it every day….and if it isn’t for you, you have a fantastic story to tell your friends when you get home! Thank you to the boys and Betinha for a fantastic week!

Club Med Cancun is perfectly situated on the best beach site in Cancun. It was here before Cancun became popular, and no other resort in Cancun compares when it comes to the location, common grounds and overall views. The rooms at Club Med aren’t fancy, but they are comfortable and quiet. You’ll sleep like a baby, particularly since you’ll be tired from all the wonderful activities you do in a day. Plus, you will be full of great food from the buffet or specialty restaurants. I ate fish at noon and night meals each day but there are many, many options to choose from. If you go hungry at Club Med…it’s your own darn fault! There is something for everyone. If you don’t see it…just ask!

As I said, I’m a junkie…but for good reason. I’ve been all over Mexico and the Caribbean. I’ve stayed a luxury resorts, all-inclusives, and boutique hotels, and I always regret any choice that isn’t Club Med. If you are an active adult, or are travelling with kids, do yourself a favor a give Club Med Cancun a try. You will not be disappointed!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is my first time at a Club Med, and I am blown away by what a fabulous experience it has been! The atmosphere is so positive, and there are activities all day for all interest. I never left the village because my stay was short, but next time I may do one of the many interesting - looking day trips. The beach is spectacular. I looked out every morning and was in awe of the sand, water and horizon. I paid for a deluxe room with an ocean view, and it was well worth it. My room was spacious and the housekeeping service was excellent. The bathroom is small, but clean and well stocked. The room does show a little age and the lighting is insufficient, but after the first day, I didn't care since everything else at the resort was so wonderful. From reception (shout out to Paula and Willow) to dance classes (Jeff is amazing) to a lovely well stocked boutique (Daniella--the best); this resort is paradise. I'm hooked! I want to be a Club Med lifer and visit all of the North American villages.

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Club Med Cancun Yucatan? Share your experiences!