“Overall good vacation but!” 3 of 5 stars

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Nizuc, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #18 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Sammamish, Washington
“Overall good vacation but!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just spent the Feb winter break week at Club Med Cancun with family (wife and our 3 teenagers). This was our first time at Club Med and being born in France I had high expectations. This was our second time in Cancun as a family (first time last year in another all-inclusive resort to be forgotten) and the third time for me. Overall our stay was fine but it could have been better.

The welcome reception from the Brazilian entertainment chief was great and the refreshments served was a nice touch as well. The GO taking us to our rooms was nice although she left the cardkey of the first room in that room and closed the door when we moved to the other room. When we realized that she was already gone and we had to wait 1/2 hour to get someone to help. Our room were in the Amestita building which the last one on the lagoon side. Also interestingly enough the 2 first nights we had maintenance people showing up around 10PM to replace a bulb on our balcony or check the mirror in one of the bathrooms despite that we never asked for anything. The fact they were speaking only Spanish did help to figure out what the urgency of these fixes was if any?? When reporting this to the front desk they seemed to be clueless as to why, but no one showed up the rest of the week at midnight to repaint our room ! Our rooms were quiet, comfortable and very clean, thanks to our maid Guadalupe. The GO team overall was nice, working hard and good at what they were doing except a few as indicated hereafter.

With respect to the resort itself we found it overall nice and well maintained with a casual elegance. We found the resort staff hard working and always ready to help. We really liked the beach area and the little huts which provided sufficient shade during the day. The food overall was good and diverse (breakfast, lunch and dinner). You can tell that the Chefs and Sous-Chefs care and they were always on the deck at rush hour to make sure that everything was perfect. We really enjoyed the Gala dinner on Thursday! La Hacienda food (buffet style) was very decent. The 2 specialty restaurants were overall good especially Las Cazuelas (for lunch and dinner). I had a mixed experience though at La Pergola (steak house) one evening with a steak that was not edible. The waiting staff was always good, nice and hard working.

One thing to definitely improve is the house wine which I found of low quality. I would have expected something better and possibly some French wine (after all Club Med is French and cater to French nationals) but the Spanish wine they serve (red and white) is not worth your palate. The Cava was OK. Not sure why they cannot get good and reasonable price French wine (if cost is an issue here). The bar was well stocked and the espresso was good. However depending on who was making your drinks you could go from very good to water down quality. So I learned to always order from the same (good) bartender. I also liked the cigar lady in the evening (had a few Cubans during the week)! On the beach the beach boys while working hard, half of the time often could not remember who ordered what or even never came back with our order a few times: hint to management put a number on each post of the beach huts so they can write it down to remember where the order comes from.

As indicated we have 3 teenagers and this was one reason to go to Club Med (activities!). Alas while our daughter (13) had fun the whole week at the Carwash. However my younger son (15) gave up on keeping joining the fun after just one day. The reason was simple: Camille. Her group was mostly composed of French teens and Camille didn't make any effort to include the few Americans by only talking French to everyone which led the US part of the team to leave one by one during the day including my son. I actually observed Camille and she really didn't make any effort to speak English. Given that my other son never joined the "fun". Fortunately there was enough to do with tennis, beach and snorkeling to keep them busy. But this was a real disappointment.

I want to give kudos to the excursion team desk (Denis and team) and our tour guides (Ludovic and the nice lady whose I forgot the name, sorry). They were all very nice and did a awesome job advising us on the best excursion for us to do for ½ day and during that one I really enjoyed Ludovic’s deep knowledge on the country, its history and the site we visited (Tulum).

The evening shows were overall good especially the fun parts (I loved the whistle act). I also enjoyed the gym (my wife too) and the early muscular wake up with the tall Belgium blond girl instructor (can’t remember her name either, sorry).

Our departure was interesting. While I was expecting something warm like the welcome part, it was unexpectedly indifferent and stern. Melanie who took care of our checkout was stone face and seemed lost and confused through the entire process. I am native fluent in French and therefore talked to her in French since she was French but after 2 minutes she started to speak English to me which I found rude. She also asked me if I had an account (well can’t you check on your computer?) When I inquired about our luggage pickup she asked me whether I asked for a pickup. When I told her that we got a form (and I showed her the form) telling us to leave our luggage at a specific time for on time pickup for our departure, she said that we were given the wrong form and we had to call instead. Finally after given her the look she made the effort to talk to the bell boy who immediately confirmed that he took care of everything already per the form instructions (I could actually saw our luggage lined up at the front door). From there I settled our bill and was expecting something like: have you had a nice stay or thank you for staying with us or did you find everything OK or hope we will see you again. Nope, nothing Melanie immediately started to chat with her colleague and already forgot about me. She seemed to be more preoccupied by her nails than by providing customers with a last good impression of the resort.

So while overall our stay was not bad, it could have been better!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear PixieSam59,
Thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review of your February vacation to Club Med. We appreciate all of your comments very much, and have passed them along to the appropriate departments and managements. Furthermore, we were pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed a myriad of activities while on your stay, including but not limited to the food, excursions, and beaches. Thanks again for your evaluation, and we hope to see you and your family in the future.
Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Be aware it is a big complex and transportation is very badly organized!
Even calling several times reception and talking finally to the manger (Aurelia) she was extremely unpolite and just answered "it is nothing I can do", and we where landed at the dining room with a bad foot. My wife had to walk the long ditance to recption to find a cart to pick me up!
After we finally made it to the reception, we talked also to the general Manager (Brazilian lady) and she didn´t care either!
I posted this review some months ago, it was never published!
It was a very bad experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Our first trip to a Club Med and I wasn't sure what to expect: When we first arrived I was slightly disappointed by the rooms and the swimming pool which were very basic, however, as the week went on, I realized that it is the activities, the location, the service and the kids club which more than made up for the other stuff. I can't say enough positive things about the mini club. Houda runs the best mini club ever. My kids had an amazing time there. Special shout out to Antonio and Blanca who my kids just adored. I absolutely loved the fitness offerings- Margot is a great instructor. The salsa lessons were fun. It is because my kids were so happy in the mini club that I was able to work out, dance and most importantly relax. We would absolutely love to return.

Dear DeniseML,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Club Med Cancun Yucatan. We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time here, as our guests’ happiness is our main goal! Furthermore, we’re so glad you enjoyed the fitness offerings, activities, and our staff (especially Antonio, Margot, and Blanca). Once again, thank you for your evaluation, and we look forward to your family’s return.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

What a wonderful treat and surprise. We traveled myself and my two children and we joined several other friends and their families.

Our first thoughts were our friends were there so no matter what we would have a great time. The level of cleanliness and maintenance at the facility is exceptional. The rooms are good but average but you don't go for the room itself. The overall experience really exceeded our expectations.

I tried activities like kayaking that I would not normally have tried and the signature Aquagym which was really a great workout and lots of fun.

Our children (6 and 8) thoroughly enjoyed kids club. It was an easy sell for me to the kids. "You are welcome to stay with me in the morning but do not think that by noon you will have gone sailing, flying on the trapeze and tennis." They spent the morning in kids club on a few days and then we had great time at the beach or pool in the afternoon.

We took two excursions the Coba/Cenotes where you go to Mayan ruins and swim in the underground caves and sailing/snorkeling half day trip and everyone enjoyed. The excursions as explained to us by one of our guides are set up to meet the standards of Club Med sort of as Disney Vacations to different locations; so you are getting the same level of service which was wonderful and should allow you to book excursions if you choose with confidence.

The food was good, suggest taking advantage of table dining a few times for dinner just for change. My other suggestions were we used more sunscreen at a high SPF than I expected or brought (especially with so much time in the ocean or pool). Also there are in room amenities like shampoo but there is no conditioner and with sun and salt water/chlorine you will probably need it!

I am still absolutely unclear on the variations between room types. We had a room with an ocean view which looked practically identical to my friends' room directly across the hallway with a very slight difference in square footage by the sliding glass door.

I called for turndown nightly, which we needed with three of us showing etc. However, when we changed rooms for the last two nights I again called for turndown and was told in no uncertain terms that only certain rooms could get turndown. The second room again was pretty identical to the first the fridge didn't have 6 soft drinks as the first and it had the slightly less square footage by the glass door to the balcony.

The only challenging area that we continuously encountered was the front desk/reception. We had issues with our door locks and had to go back for new keys 3 times. I felt they could have been much more proactive and when I was calling from another room come there themselves instead of having to hoof it over to the desk. My friend needed internet service and was told that she could not use the internet since her folio of extra charges was not signed and just had a credit card. She explained that her daughter was asleep and it was a nominal charge for the internet could they just let her use it and first thing in the morning she would sign. She was told no. It just seems whatever request was presented to the front desk it was not possible or at best not a proactive stance on how they could help only advising us that they couldn't or not making the effort. Again, minimal concern in that generally once you are checked in you are done. And even with this experience with that particular area we would happily return to this CM or try another.

Of the many good experiences I think the best had to have been the announcement that Rodrigo (GO at Aquagym) and native to Mexico City gave on Friday of our stay which is often the last day for many. He gave a very sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of us for staying at Club Med and for visiting his country. Rarely do you see such genuine thanks expressed and it was charming.

Dear Alexandra S,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent vacation. We have passed along your concerns regarding reception to the appropriate management, and will do everything we can do improve upon this treatment. However, we are very pleased with everything else you noted, particularly the Kids Club, GOs, and amenities you enjoyed. Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to your return.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a great resort for both couples and families. The tennis pros were wonderful. Very friendly and excellent instructors. The week we were there there were a lot of tennis players, but even thought the lessons were packed, both my husband (an advanced player) and I (intermediate) got a lot out of them. The snorkeling is easy, right off the beach and a good selection of fish. Food is very good. The property is beautiful.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for an oceanview and I think it was worth it. We didn't stay in the Jade...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dobbs36NewYork,
Thank you for this Club Med Cancun Yucatan review. We are pleased to read that you and your husband -- although at different levels -- were able to take advantage of and learn much from the tennis lessons. Furthermore, we’re very happy you were satisfied with other elements of your stay, such as the snorkeling, food, and property overall. Once again, thank you for your review, and we hope to see you and your husband in the future.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at Club Med Cancun for the second time after 5 weeks of being home in the cold and yet again it was great!
This time we stayed at Jade, the 5 trident space. It was a beautiful accomodation, the pool was so peaceful and with the beautiful weather our holidays were just perfect.
But not only these ingredients made our vacation wonderful, also the GO's & GE's made sure our stay was amazing.
All the GO's & GE's (also very important to mention) were extremely friendly, but there are a few ones who are worth a special comment!
First of all I want to start with the team of the boutique:
-Shanel: she is just a wonderful, beautiful girl! She's very very friendly & sweet and she does her job really well! The first time we went to Cancun, we entered the shop to buy a hat for my mom and Shanel welcomed us so warmly and wasn't pushy at all, which is really nice
-Ana Belen: the second time we wanted to buy something in the shop Ana helped us out! She also did her job so well! Thanks to her we walked out the shop with a beautiful pink cowboy hat, ready to hit the Mexican party! Ana is a great GO, she also always dances the crazy signs & was every day adorable!
-Massimo: he's just soooo funny! We laughed every day with him and his performances in the shows were awesome! He's a super GO: always very friendly & enthousiastic in his job! Also with the coffee games with the Michael Jackson show he was incredible! He knew everything and made us win the quiz!! :D
I'll continue with my appreciation for the sport GO's:
-Margot: she's extremely good at her job! You can see she does it with her whole heart! She's so motivated and enthousiatic that you want to be in her classes even though you're not sportive at all (this was our case)
Also her appearences in the show are worth a mention, because she dances like a real pro! She's also enormously friendly and smiles all the time!
-Rodrigo: the first time we were at the club, Rodrigo was in the mini club team, so we only talked to him at the nightclub. We already knew he was a social and motivated GO, but this fact was even confirmed more this time. Now he switched from mini-club to landsports. He gave us magnificent aquagym classes! The day after my muscles were sore, so that means the classes were intense and terrific! He was motivating us all the time by yelling yeah yeah - oeh oeh! There was a lot of variation in his classes, which we liked a lot! We're sure Rodrigo will have a beautiful career in Club Med, because he really has a great (Club Med) attitude and spirit!
-Josh: our chief of landsports! He did a great job! The first time we were in Cancun he was our aquagym instructor. He's just like Rodrigo very talented to give the classes and he motivates his 'students' all the time! Just like all the others mentioned, he's a super GO
-Johanna: she's a lovely girl! Even though we just went once to the waterski she was superfriendly all the time! She's always so enthousiastic!
It's thanks to her that I got out of the water with the wakeboard! It's not easy, but thanks to her directions I managed to do a whole tour of waterski after only 2 failures! She's a wonderful waterski instructor and a magnificent GO in general!
-Casey: although we didn't sail nor surf, he was very friendly when we saw him around in the club! We got to know GM’s who like to surf and they told us that Casey was the right person to learn it from. We’re not sportive, but if we would decide to take surf of sailing lessons, we would be happy to have Casey as our teacher!
-Sergio: he’s a brilliant GO! Always helpful, always ready to answer questions, always saying hi to everybody and last but not least always dancing the crazy signs in a fabulous way! He always goes for it and that’s really amazing to see! During waterpologames he made sure that little girls didn’t get hurt and in the meanwhile he was guarding the goal. His chief, Maravilha complimented him: a good GO is always accompanied by a GM. We couldn’t agree more: Sergio is a marvelous GO and it was a pleasure to accompany him as a GM.
-Maravilha: the chief of sports and entertainment. He’s a splendid GO! Always happy, always smiling, always encouraging people to join the fun (crazy signs, coffee games etc…) When he was presenting the crazy signs you got a real club med feeling, which is a good feeling!
He’s got certainly the capacity to become a chief of Village, because he knows his job really well. No doubt that one day we’ll go on holidays to a club med where he will welcome us as a ‘chef de village’. Also worth the mention: his performance in the clap show was extraordinary and incredibly funny!
Then I would like to compliment the bar team:
-Sasha: she’s a fabulous and fashionable chica! Always smiling, always working really hard!
-David: very good bartender, friendly all the time! Great guy, great GO
The mini-club team:
-Diana: she’s a wonderful girl! Always happy and supernice and when you see her with the kids, you can tell she really cares for them!
-Jeff: such a sweet GO! With the kids he’s splendid and as a dancer he’s also impressive! His Michael Jackson act was stunning!
-Coco: always kind and smiling, she’s a very social and interesting GO. We knew she was South-African and asked her a few questions since my mom has to go there for her job. She was so sweet and willing to answer all our questions and in the end she said she would be always available to answer more questions, this gave us a warm feeling
The other GO’s who are worth kudos:
-Mariana: always smiling, she gave us a very warm and professional welcome and made our stay at Jade even more pleasant and also her performances in the shows were marvelous
-Leilanie: she was so nice all the time! We had so much fun with her during the coffee games! Always ready to help!
-Armando: he’s adorable! Such a lovely and social GO! He made beautiful decors and every time we saw him in the club he was sooo kind and positive
-Jaime: he was incredibly friendly and he was also always present at the crazy signs and the nightclub, which really is a good thing
He welcomed you always in the restaurant very professionally and made you feel at home immediately.

Then we would like to thank all the beach boys for the good service! They were all magnificent!
Also Santiago from the main restaurant was wonderful! So friendly, so social!
The team of the bar in Jade was splendid! The people who drove the buggies were very helpful and friendly!
We’re very thankful for our clean rooms and the clean club thanks to all the cleaning ladies! They did a great job!
And last but not least we want to congratulate the chef of the kitchen, because every day the food was extraordinary!

There are just two more things I would like to say: we thought it was a pity that we could only sit with one GO at a table. This is a new rule, but I have no idea what the purpose is, because all the GO’s are so nice, you want to eat with them all, which is easier when you can sit with at least 2 GO’s at a table!!!
The only thing that disappointed us was not an act from the GO’s, but from the GM’s! We thought it was such a pity that nobody stood up to give the GO’s a standing ovation after their smashing Michael Jackson show! They really deserve a more positive feedback from the guests!

THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERYTHING! YOU GUYS WERE FABULOUS, WONDERFUL, BRILLIANT, MARVELOUS, EXTRAORDINARY! IT WAS REALLY SUPERDUPER!

Dear Thestephson.
Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review of your recent stay at Club Med Cancun Yucatan. You can be guaranteed that we will pass along your thoughtful and kind comments. We are glad you were so enamored with your stay, and we can’t wait to have you back. Thanks again for your review!
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We'd had enough of DisneyWorld and set our sites on a warm beach vacation for our March break. After researching many beach vacation options with that would satisfy us and keep our kids (10 & 5) happy, we found it in ClubMed Cancun. It was the heavenly turquoise beach we've dreamed about. It's a little more expensive but worth it for the MiniClub, endless activity choices (kayaking, sailing, trapeze, tennis, water skiing, etc.), top notch beach options, on-site snorkeling, safe and friendly atmosphere. We aren't 'foodies' and would never choose a vacation based on food but it was so good.....too good. The MiniClub for kids 4-10 and 'CarWash' for teens 11-17 is what really sold us. Houda and the GOs were fun, energetic and caring. They organize activities for every age group which are a blast. In addition to daytime activities, they have a number of dinner and after-dinner activities each week which allow parents to enjoy an upscale quiet dinner. They get the kids performing, trying different sports, interacting with other cultures and so much more. Plenty of GOs to accomodate different ages and interest levels. You can do as much or as little as you want and it's all included. The GO (Gracious Organizers) who work there are bright, friendly, well traveled, enjoy their 'jobs' and want to help you enjoy yourself..."As you wish". Kids even said it was better than Disney. No lines or obnoxious people! My only negative is that the main pool was not heated, no big deal to us. Upgrade to Jade if that is super important to you or swim in the warm ocean. I could say so much more, but the bottom line is that this an ideal option for the active family looking for a peaceful yet fun vacation.

Room Tip: Jade area has heated infinity pool away from main part of resort.
Dear sparkylildevil,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent vacation to Club Med Cancun Yucatan. We were pleased to read that both you and your children -- even though different ages -- had such a great experience with us. From the GOs to the food and the water sports to trapeze, we are glad you were all able to find something to fit your tastes. Once again, thank you for your review, and we look forward to you and your family returning.
Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Cancun Yucatan? Share your experiences!