“One of the best places for family vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Nizuc, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 174 hotels in Cancun
Portola Valley, California, United States
“One of the best places for family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is one of the best beach resorts we've been to. Unlike many other hotels in Cancun strip, this has enough space outside. Great advantage is beach front on one side, much like all the other hotels have, and reef on the other where you can do snorkeling. Plenty of activities from kayaking to sailing, all included, well-organized so you don't have to wait for hours in line. Friendly personnel. Many things to do for kids of all ages - trapeze, water skiing, kids club and more.

One thing though: the place is Frenchy. You are OK with English or Spanish, but those with symptoms of xenophobia (and are not French) may want look for other options.

Great place to be! Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Michael P,
Thank you for posting a review about our resort. We're pleased to hear you had a wonderful vacation and that you believe our resort is one of the best beach resorts you've ever visited! We're also so glad our staff, activities and location exceeded your every expectation. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you visit again in the near future!

2,105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed for a week at the end of September with our son, wife and two babies. We enjoyed being together on the beach and by the pool but found that there were steps everywhere, even in the dingy bedrooms!!! (ground floor in front of the beach). It was so damp that everything was wet and never dried. The food was not up to Club Med standards. The elevator was not working and the stairs up to the restaurant were a hassle with two babies and a pushchair. The children enjoyed the kiddies pool with a cover and the sea was great except for the seaweed at the edge.
Far from everything but great views from the terrace.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear fiona r,
Thank you for sharing about your experience at our Club Med Cancun resort. We apologize for not exceeding your expectations as this is not the norm for Club Med. Please know we are currently assessing the concerns you mentioned and greatly appreciate your insights as we are always looking for ways to improve. Thank you again for sharing, and we hope you give Club Med another chance in the future.
New Providence, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My parents had taken me to Club Med three times when I was in high school and college and I wanted my kids to experience it also. My wife and I took our 3 (ages 21, 21, 16) and a friend (15). We had a fantastic trip. The activities are excellent: snorkeling right off the beach, sailing, windsurfing, water skiing - all of which we did. The excursions were excellent - everyone learned something and the kids loved them. We did Ek Balam (Mayan site and a Nature Perserve and a fishing village - all excellent) and El Coba (Mayan site, beach club lunch and swim in a cavern - all also excellent. The rooms were very nice and the food more than plentiful and very good and very interesting. My impression of Cancun was "spring break for college kids" but it is much much more than that. On the other hand, my boys (21 and 20) did some very heavy partying on "the strip" and had a great time. It was a great trip for everyone and we'd do it again. The staff at Club Med is fantastic and too much fun: hello to Margo, Josh, Jona, JC, Aziz and the rest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear John V,
Thanks for the review! We love when our guests have a fabulous vacation and we're so happy to hear you've visited our resort before! It sounds like you had a great time enjoying all the activities our resort has to offer like snorkeling, sailing and windsurfing. We're also glad our staff, dining options and facilities exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for posting a review, and we can't wait for you to visit again!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed for a second time at the Club Med Yucatan Cancun resort for 9 days in mid-November and have stayed more than 20 nights overall in the last year.

This is an attempt at an objective review with a stronger emphasis on the second stay (bad experience). I start with the positives of both stays:

1. The location is very, very nice. Beach is beautiful and the lagoon is too.
2. For the most part the GOs go out of their way to make your vacation better.
3. Activities are varied. In low season water skiing has almost no wait. Tennis courts need to be redone. Snorkeling is extremely good with coral reef next to the resort. Sailing is also good. All activities are very busy during high season.
4. Food is ok for a few days, but it is repetitive and usually the same so after a while it may not appeal the more ‘foodie’ type of guest.

The positives listed above convinced us to visit this location again this year, a mistake that I intend not to do again. We arrived in mid-November, low season and with an occupancy of 15-20%. The first ‘problem’ was the room assignment. They gave us one of the farthest rooms in the complex despite having Silver status with Club Med (I honestly didn’t even know Club Med had a loyalty program nor were we informed, or recognized upon arrival as such, until other events happened) and no ‘welcome back’ letter/package. I did not think that was an issue at all; alas, the subsequent events, slowly but surely unveiled that this was not a one off oversight but rather a massive quality, service and operational mess at this location and of things to come. Chronologically:

1. The first day I had to print a confidential document, sign it, scan it and send it. I understand we are at a vacation resort, but sometimes we still need to respond to the demands of our jobs, especially in this day and age, so I was appalled to learn that the so called “Business Center” possesses PCs with internet access only, no printer and no scanner. More incredible was the absolute lack of initiative or knowledge by the front desk on how to solve this. Someone suggested to take a cab downtown (really??), a three hour proposition and probably $100 in taxis and other fees. When pressed, no one at the front desk showed the initiative to solve my issue and no one knew if there was a scanner in the premises (unbelievable). In the end I sent the confidential document to the back office, went inside their offices, printed the file myself, hopefully deleted the file forever, and started my search for a scanner in the premises (turns out there is one in the Tours office, I was able to find it on my own, and no one in the front desk even attempted to help me look for it!).
2. We had, initially, two connecting rooms. The keys never worked properly, so the first time I had an issue I went to the front desk and had them re issued. Came back; same problem. I go back; front desk assures me the keys are fine. May be, I suggest, it is the door. I get a stern response that the door is fine. We try again; same problem. In the end, and after at least one more coming and going, it was a faulty door and front desk had to send maintenance to solve the problem. No major issue, but the trend is that front desk does not seem too care much for my time and is at this time borderline disinterested in my stay.
3. Towels seemed to be several years old (both in the room, and at the pool/beach). Towels were not restocked in the room unless we left them on the floor on purpose.
4. My booking had the first 5 nights in a connecting room and 3 in separate rooms. During our time I asked to remain in the connecting room to no avail (front desk citing a full resort). No problems as this was what I had purchased; I had also purchased and had Club Med pre travel agreement to have the new room/s ready so we didn’t have to check out and check in a few hours afterwards (this to me was very important and would not have proceeded otherwise). One day before check out I receive a letter offering me a late check out for $50 (approx.); I don’t even think about it considering my agreement with Club Med. Front desk asks us to check out by 11, and check in by 3 (Front desk asked us to leave our belongings packed, and they would make sure that we had them in the new rooms). In the end, after arguing extensively, we are provided with one room. I wonder what would have happened if I had paid the $50 for the late check-out. The second room was delivered late.
5. Also during this odyssey I found out that I had attained Silver category with Club Med. “Why didn’t you know?” I inquired. Front desk recommended that I call upon my return and ask them my CM member #. I did find the member card that was sent to me last year: it says member thru 12/31/2012 which now makes me wonder why was I charged member fees when I booked? There must surely be a CM explanation for charging fees, there always is, no matter how irrational.
6. Now the BIGGEST ISSUE I had during our stay, and the sole reason I will never come back to this place ever again and recommend others to also consider not doing is that my toddlers where, at best, left behind during an activity (or worst case scenario, deliberately mistreated, not sure why but please read on). CM prides itself, it appears, on caring for the whole family. For the most part GOs where great. In our previous visit Luisi, Solene, Banana Put Put (?) and many others, etc always cared for our kids. During this visit everything seemed to be following this pattern until I left the kids at night to participate in a Game Night at the Theater. After half an hour I go back to check on them and this is the sequence after I see them sitting alone, sobbing and watching everyone else play (they are under 5, by the way):
a. Why aren’t you playing? It is not our turn
b. Have you played already? (I saw no one else sitting with them). Not yet, it is not our turn yet.
c. Who said it is not your turn? One of my kids points to a GO (Sara, or Sandra) on the stage. My kid then proceeds to walk up the stage, on her own initiative, and I see from the distance how Sara points in the direction of the chairs where we were sitting. She return upset that permission to play has not been granted.
d. Now they are really crying. No one even attempts to approach us, or them, to console them. Or to see what is going on.
e. I ask Sara why they are not including my kids. I hear some babbling about how she hasn’t seen them. My wife is now with the kids.
f. My wife later asks sara the same question. Response: we did not know they had been signed in to the night’s activities, while she produced papers that clearly showed that I had signed them in. This is a blatant lie! And what an embarrassment.
g. I decide to ask for a supervisor at the closest place, unfortunately this is front desk. Apparently, somewhere, the new General Manager (GM) of the resort (Asis) is being sworn in, and no matter, not even a serious mismanagement by a Club Med employee warrants his attention or somebody else’s.
h. I insist that I would like to discuss this with someone. Out of the corner of my eye, the first front desk employee, the one that told me that the new GM or any of his reports is too busy to attend this, I see him(Hassam K), laughing. I pause. Every time I speak, he laughs. OK. Is there anything funny about what is happening to my kids?, I query. He responds something like: “nobody is going to talk to you tonight, they are too busy with Asis”. And that justifies you laughing at me? Please show me some respect. Astonishingly he responds: “you respect me, man”. Dumbfounded at this and done with Hassan K, I leave. I encounter on my way to the restaurant, by chance, the departing acting GM (Zani). I tell her the experience. She at least apologizes and follows up with Glenn from Belgium, who is in charge of entertainment.
i. Glenn comes to where we are having dinner. By now I don’t want to maximize this event in my kids’ eyes.
j. Glenn apologizes. I asked him what he is apologizing for. He responds he apologizes if I feel something was wrong. What? I ask him if he feels that there was something was wrong. He says no, to best of his knowledge everything was fine, that Sara and the other tried to integrate my kids in the activities (by the way my kids had been to the activities for a number of days and had integrated perfectly). So why weren’t they allowed to play for half an hour? No response. Why did Sara say that she did not have records of my kids being signed in for the night activities? No response.
k. What did I expect? Honestly, I think the team there is very inexperienced. I understand if a mistake is made. In this case, someone thinking quick on their feet would have grabbed the kids by their hands say something funny, hug them, and bring them in. The constant perception was that the entertainment group was defensive, for whatever reason.
l. Alas, I commend Glenn for his corporate attitude and skills, specially the ‘cover my behind’ skills that are so important in personal development in these type of corporations. Glenn, I wish you grow really fast in Club Med’s structure and management track, and stay far away from young kids. I am sure that you will.
m. I believe it is unethical and unprofessional to allow two toddlers, under any circumstance, and specially under your supervision, without any supervision and sobbing and not responding to them. If there was any problem with the kids then they should have contacted us, the parents, immediately, that is their responsibility. The thought that Sara actually believes that two kids were sitting there not signed in, and no one in his team even bothered to ask what was going on is even more troublesome. And the fact that Glenn blatantly lies to the parents’ face has no justification whatsoever. So you Glenn had sobbing kids that were being integrated: why were they crying? If they continued to cry and sob as they were when I arrived why didn’t you contact us since this is your protocol? Specially since 30’ had gone by. Again no responses from Glenn, or CM.
7. Some other miscellaneous matters include absolutely no entertainment/shows during the first few days before thanksgiving. Again, Glenn, congratulations on reducing the overall expense of the resort, yet another magnificent skill that will serve you well as you continue to strive in this organization.
8. Tours offered by CM at the resort. They are very pricey. You are better off organizing them yourself prior or during your stay.
9. Internet connection is horrible.
10. Repetitive food.
11. If you don’t speak French expect to sometimes receive second class citizen treatment.
12. It would be unfair to criticize Asis, the new GM, as he only took his position while we were there. But comparing the resort from last year (when Eduardo, who I understand is now in Punta Cana and took away with him most of the GOs we had a great experience with, was running the resort) to this year, the ambiance was completely different. This year there was no control on anything whatsoever.

Summing up, chances are you will not experience most of the things we did. If that is the case, the place is good. Some people really work their tails off to make your stay better, others lack attitude (front desk, Glenn). Unfortunately for us guests, it seems the latter are running the show at Club Med. For us, the total disregard for the proper treatment of our kids makes our decision not to return to CM easy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear La Boch,
Thank you for bringing your recent experience to our attention. Our Chief of Village asked us to let you know that he has read your review and is addressing the concerns you mentioned in your review. We apologize for your experience as it is not the norm for Club Med and we strongly value your loyalty as a guest. We understand you are working with our Guest Relations team and hope the issue will be resolved quickly. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
Your Club Med Team.
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed last week with 3 young kids.Miniclub was very good! Special mention to Karla, Sandra who were absolutely perfect with kids.
Resort needs a facelift. Big resort well laid out but requires renovation. Compared to Ixtapa, lacks the intimacy, the charm, the ambiance.
Very windy resort which makes the pool rather cold. Recommend to go to the beach near the sailing/kayak. Very nice Go at the waterski. Not busy.

Cons : the rental car company at club med is not very professional. Requested a 7 seaters vehicle for an excursion to Tulum. We were told only the night before that there was no availability. Did not feel sorry. Did not look to care or suggest alternatives.ended up going to the airport to collect vehicle.
Spa : mixed impressions about therapists.

Would definitely return to Ixtapa, not Cancun.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear jfaivre,
Thank you for sharing about your stay at our resort. We're so glad you enjoyed your visit and that you found our staff, activities and Mini Club to be terrific. We're also so grateful for your feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and truly appreciate any insights our guests may offer. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
So Cal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I consider my wife and myself experienced when it comes to Club Med vacations. We chose to go when we want a no hassle, active vacation. We don't expect gourmet food, or luxurious accommodations. We do expect enough food options to suit anyone, tons of activities, nice location and engaging GO's to insure a good time. This location has 2/3 of those expectations fulfilled.

The positive side;
Food was better than our expectations. Buffet was huge with opportunity for dining for anyone but the most picky. The alternative restaurants were good, and service in all was above average
The location was great, amazing water, and beach. The water is a color that seems fake it is so blue. Grounds were very well maintained and list of activities was long. The sailing/windsurfing/kayak area is perfectly located and protected by reefs from waves. Overall this is a good location and worth a trip. The best GO was the lovely young woman, Ana, who greeted us and shared several meals. GO wise, that is where the expectations for the Club Med brand we have come to know, ended.

The "needs improvement" side;

The GO population was sub standard. There was a general attitude of what I can only describe as apathy from the majority of the staff. We were traveling with 2 ten year old boys and we were never approached by anyone from the Mini Club, which is unlike our other experiences. In addition, this location represented a first for us at Club Med as we never met or even saw the Chief of Village. To be fair there was one GO beyond Ana that engaged me as I went to play morning volleyball, but forgot his name. I could go on with a list of experiences to substantiate this experience but you get the point. I will say that as an experienced diver, the snorkel area is in opposition to the environmental standards espoused by the chain. Once issued your equipment, you are told not to go beyond the red flags, and that is it. No instructions about not disturbing the sea life, or not to touch coral which is the ultimate sin in ocean adventures. Shame on Club Med for that one. The rooms were average and the mold smell was evident. The AC had to run at least 1/2 the day or your room would feel damp, which it did a bit anyway.

Advice

Eat breakfast and lunch in the restaurant by the sailing/kayak area, amazing space and views. While the offerings are limited in comparison to the main buffet, the interior space more than compensates and the bar is less crowded. For the finest accommodations, upgrade to the Jade building, we stayed in the Turquesa building and loved the location, next to the pool and main building and on the beach which was preferable to us. However if you require peace and quiet, that building will not work as the dancing and parties, while fun for those who partake, can be loud.
Be ready to push for what you want as the activity side is lacking in the "can do" attitude that has defined our Club Med experience. Also, do not expect in room wifi, it does not exist, in fact, the "hot spots are horrible, and there are only 2 on the property. Even the chorded in room connection would not work, so reduce any expectation about Internet access outside the 4 computers in the business center.

Dear SoCalChill_Axer,
Thank you for posting a review about our Club Med Cancun resort. We're glad you had a great vacation and that you found our dining options and location to be fantastic. However, we're so sorry we did not exceed your every expectation. Please know this is not the norm for Club Med and we are currently addressing the concerns you mentioned. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you give Club Med another chance in the future.
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was my first Club Med vacation... the first of many! I loved the variety of things to do... waterskiing, snorkelling, sailing, trapeze, tennis!! The resort was very spaciousness as well. Even though there were lots of children it was easy to find a spot to get away, the beaches near the snorkelling and sailing were very quiet. The food was great and I especially loved Las Cazuelas restaurant and bar, such a great atmosphere.
My sister was there with her family and the kids has blast, Mini Club was perfect for them.
What really made Club Med Cancun special were the GOs... I don't remember everyone's name but just to name a few Mao, JC, Christian, Ramon, Rock, Oscar, Johanna, Annie, Casey, Pablo, Josh and Jona were all fanastic!! They all excelled in their respective areas (Mini Club, Circus, Sailing, Waterskiing) but were also great fun to hang out with in the evenings. Hopefully next time I return some of them will still be there!

Dear MeggiD45,
Thanks for the review! We're thrilled to hear you had a phenomenal first time visiting our resort and we're even happier to hear you'll be returning for more vacations! It makes us so happy to hear you enjoyed all the activities our resort has to offer such as snorkeling, sailing and the trapeze. We're also glad you found our facilities, staff and dining options to be terrific. Thank you again for sharing, and we can't wait for you to visit again!
Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Cancun Yucatan? Share your experiences!