“Club Med remain the number 1 all inclusive resort” 5 of 5 stars

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Nizuc, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #16 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Montreal, Canada
“Club Med remain the number 1 all inclusive resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We have been to a number of Club Med over the last 25 years and tried a few other high end all inclusive resort and our conclusion: Club Med is still number One.
Our last trip was in Cancun Yucatan a very beautiful location and we luckily had an ocean view suite in Jade, a huge room with the balcony with a breathtaking view, and the bathroom. A very quiet and private area located a few minutes away from the center of the village. The Jade area has a private swimming pool with a high end service, an ideal nest when you want lay back and enjoy it.
Eduardo and its GO's team from animation to sports and housekeeping are always very receptive, pleasant and doing wonder to ensure you have the best time in the world.
At Jade Magali the resident's manager will bend backward to give you an outstanding service and she succeed extremely well.
In addition, I would like to make a special mention for the security team, especially a young security guy at the snorkelling where I lost a small bag with my room key a few paper and money. I returned to the place I lost the bag and security guy (Unfortunately I did not get his name) find and gave me back the bag with all the money in it. This is integrity!!!
Encore Bravo

Room Tip: Room 9214, a room with aview....and what view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Theodore505,

Thank you for the great review! We are glad to hear that you loved our staff just as much as we do. We are proud of the service they provide! We hope to see you again soon!

Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Canda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This Club Med is strictly for young families having children age 3 months to 5 years old. To bad that they made this beautiful ROMANTIC Club into a babysitting Club. They have everything for children but not to much for couples, no matter what age you are. You are always at any time of the day till eleven at night surrounded by children anywhere you go in the Club. Not one place for ADULTS only which would be for some of these young couple a retreat for them to have a nice quiet time for their vacation.
The food is very good at any restaurants and the beach much nicer then Riviera Maya.
So to conclude this review since I have been to other Club Med I just wish that Club Med Yucatan would have a place for couples at least at night to enjoy this beautiful view of Cancun at the restaurant La Pergola.
I will definitely go back to this Club one day, when they change from strollers Club to ADULTS Club or even make some space for Adults only. Hope the Chef du Village Eduardo reads my comment because I'm sure he will consider this simple request.

Room Tip: TOPIACO is near the Mini Club so noise at 8:00 AM in the morning but for the Location very near the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Liette,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at Club Med Cancun. We value your insights and are addressing them immediately. We hope this will not deter you from future stays with Club Med.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This was our best vacation ever.as my kids want to go back there every year,mostly good and positive,kids loved the GO team,in kids club PACO,RODRIGO,JULIE,MARIANA,OSCAR, YESS all excelent but we think IANA is the best and can get much more responcibility as she is very very kind and responsible with all the kids.in trapeze all are very nice ,specially SERGIO and MAFER always in good mood and wellcoming.in restaurant good food ,we liked mexican night a lot as trying new foods and live music.if you are there in the restaurant ARGEL mexican guy always very helpfull ,we really liked him he is excellent man to talk about mexican food and whole dining there.in boutique who better than ALAN super nice man with a lot of information,helps you all over, always smiling ,he is a good looking mexican and an excelent GO,we all loved him.NATALIE in tennis is excellent and super talented in show.
location is one of the best , great beach,pool is good enough but could be better,it is a bit small and cold all the time

Room Tip: always ask for higher floors
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I have been to 10 all-inclusives over the years but I have never experienced the level of intimacy and friendliness that Club Med does so well here. It felt more like the "summer lodge" experiences of my childhood. I have to admit that after reading about the GOs eating meals with you and being so friendly, I was afraid that we would be barraged with "cheer-leader" types all day. We needn't have worried, the staff here is very laid back and friendly and takes queues from the families. My husband and I both suffered from bad head colds while here, but still had one of the best vacations ever - the kids and I were in tears as we departed.

The following is the best I've ever experienced at any all inclusive:
- food, quality and variety
- ample shaded chairs at both beach and pool - property was fully booked but there is no crazy rush to get chairs like at EVERY other resort I've been to
- feeling of space and lack of crowds
-quality of instruction at everything from tennis, trapeze, windsurfing, sailing, water skiing. I'm not very athletic, and even I was feeling like a pro, accomplishing things I never thought possible
-10 minutes from the airport which was fantastic with young kids after a long flight
-beautiful beaches with the most dazzling water colours
-miniclub staff was fantastic- although my kids only participated at night, they made my kids feel very special and provided some fantastic memories (Note to parents: if your kids are not the "joining" types for summer camps or new experiences, they will probably be the same here so have appropriate expectations-I was a bit disappointed they didn't want to attend mini-club more).
-Chef staff was very helpful and knowledgeable regarding the ingredients of each and every item at the buffet which helped with my nut-allergic daughter - they would even go into the kitchen and get a brand new bottle of chocolate sauce for her ice cream because I was worried about cross-contamination.
-ability to choose between several beach areas depending on the mood you were in. At the activity beach, we could truly relax while the kids played in the water since it was so shallow and calm.
-2 adjoining rooms at no extra cost: We had adjoining rooms on the ground floor facing the lagoon in the Amatisa building closest to the trapeze. We actually spent a lot of time in the rooms since my husband and I were both sick and absolutely loved that the kids had their own space, TV and bathroom. This alone is worth coming back for. The ground floor was a little loud, but not too bad.
-beach waiter service - I don't think I've ever had this before and I loved my cappuccinos on the beach every morning
-lifeguards at beach seemed very diligent and "on the job" at all times
-maintenance staff very responsive-arrived 90 seconds after my complaint of no hot water (I was pointing the tap in the wrong direction :) We also received a follow up call the next day to ensure all was well

Needs Improvement:
- the flooring in the rooms was old and grungy looking
- the inability to blow dry your hair in the bathroom and being forced to use the awkward vanity in the room was unpleasant
- the main pool was cold and is not child friendly for anyone under 8 since the shallow area is still quite deep

As you can see the good FAR outweighs the minor complaints so we have no problem recommending this resort. We will definitely go back to Club Med, although one that has less expensive Golf for my husband will be next on our list, perhaps Sandpiper??

Room Tip: If you are with your kids, the adjoining Club rooms are a must. The Topacio or Obsidiana would be b...
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Stayed at Club Med Cancun with my parents, husband and brother in February 2012. We have been Club Med guests for the past 18+ years, and it's clear that things are slipping. Overall we had an enjoyable vacation, and this is no doubt due to the staff, many of whom are good friends. But Club Med, the brand, is in the midst of an identity crisis: they are trying so hard to shed the "crazy, singles party" label from the 80s and are now trying to brand themselves as family-friendly luxury, therefore alienating their longtime clients (singles, couples w/out kids, etc). And luxury would most definitely be a misnomer: one need only look around to the other large all-inclusive chains for a comparison. But I digress, and let's talk about Club Med Cancun:

The good--

The staff (GOs). It's been said before. They are mostly in their 20s and 30s, animated and friendly and do a hell of a job with the hours they keep. Sit at a larger table at the buffet and chat with them--they are from all over and quite fascinating.

Sports: Tennis lessons and tournaments, trapeze, beach volleyball, waterskiing, etc. Good stuff. You'll never want for things to do.

Super Bowl: For the second year in a row, we visited Cancun during the Super Bowl. And for the second year, Club Med put on a really great event. Rafael did a great job, even though he is a 49ers fan. Projector screen, lots of beer and nachos, promo prizes, and a good ol' time.

Location: probably the best spot in Cancun (Club Med got there early in the game). Beach is "slanty", not flat, but very nice and calm, as compared to the rest of the strip. Easy to get to, and a short transfer from the airport.

The "ehh"/so-so--

Rooms: As a guest for so many years, I know not to expect amazing rooms (CM Turks rooms are much like college dorms). But to the first time guest, who sees "luxury" stamped on the brochure, make sure you check the Tripadvisor photos. Nothing fancy here. Majority of the rooms do not have full (if any) beach views, with a small balcony or patio. There is no turndown service. A "king" bed is two twins put together (and two hard twin beds at that!). The bathrooms are small, and the configuration does not allow you much room to put your things (good luck, ladies!). No room service (the Jade section advertises it, but you have to pay to use it...umm, ok??). So, don't expect too much, and you'll be okay.

Ecologically friendly resort (Silver Certified) that uses plastic cups for drinks? Color me confused...

The bad--

Food: I truly hate to say this, but the food has gone seriously downhill. I have been impressed by the food at Club Med before (Columbus Isle being the best), but not here. I don't eat red meat (but I am not a vegetarian), and there was a period of 3 days where I had to struggle to find protein. Lots of pork, and things wrapped in ham and bacon, but no chicken was in sight. I asked the chef if he could make me a plain piece of grilled chicken. "No", he replied brashly, and walked away. Nice way to treat guests, huh? I was almost ready to send out an SOS for help on the Club Med Facebook page, but miraculously, the next day at lunch was chicken heaven! I replenished my protein that day, but there is no excuse for not being able to meet guests dietary needs (at a so called "luxury" resort). Additionally, the breakfast pastries tasted "off". There is an issue when your head chef and one of the sous chefs are from France and your croissants taste funny. When the chefs are introduced after one of the nightly shows, guests usually to give them a standing ovation for several minutes. I can tell you that this was not the case during my trip, so I was obviously not the only one who was disappointed in the food offerings. I even remember one of the "bread man's" names, he was that good. Celestin, who I believe is in Sandpiper now...he is a gem!

Shows: I don't expect professional shows, but one night the only show was the Mini-Club show. I don't have kids and why in the world was this the only entertainment for the evening? Club Med, as I've stated before, stop alienating your long time guests and learn to cater to EVERYONE!

Re-reading my prior review from last year's visit, all those issues still apply.
-I'm even more agitated at the Great Members Program (there is no way to move up a level unless you have a large family or spend lots of $$). Trips over 3 years ago do not figure into your loyalty status, so if you take a 3-year Club Med haitus, you lose all the benefits of being a Gold or Silver member, and you are downgraded. That is a disservice to longtime Club Med guests and really leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It's a frequency program, not a loyalty program. Any other resort would be doing backflips for a guest who has visited over 20 times!
-Wine: still bad, but the red was drinkable this time. I saw a French couple send a glass back and ask for a new bottle. I could only shake my head...
-still no adult-only time at the pool (Ixtapa has this)
-wifi is around $60 for a week (but free to Gold Members and Jade guests). But you can find free wifi if you know where to look... (that's all I will say about that). But yes, wifi should be included for all guests.

To wrap things up: basically, the only reason we keep returning to Club Med is for the staff and the international experience. It's not a luxury resort and is mostly geared towards families with children (we do not fit this demographic). Every year I consider asking my group to try a new resort chain, something more suitable to us. If positive changes aren't made, this loyal member and her family may have to find a new place to vacation.

I know Club Med is very concerned about their Tripadvisor reviews (we were asked several times during our vacation to post a review), so I'm truly hoping that my words are heard and considered, more so than a generic response of "thanks, see you next year!".

Dear ssunshinej,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay at Club Med was not up to par. Our goal at Club Med is to ensure that every guest has an amazing vacation, and we are truly sorry that you did not enjoy our food, shows and other amenities. Thank you again for sharing your insights with us. We very much value and appreciate your opinion.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

As soon as we arrived at Club Med we knew we could just relax and have fun. We first went to a Club Med thirty years ago, so we have stayed at quite a few, but Cancun Yucatan is probably the most beautiful location of the ones we have visited. We treated ourselves to an ocean view suite in Jade, and it was certainly worth it for us to have the space, the balcony with view, and the bathroom. Although some reviewers describe Jade as being a long way from the main Club areas, it is only about a five or six minutes walk from the main reception. Jade is near the sailing beach, the tennis courts and Las Cazuelas restaurant where we ate lunch most days. This is less crowded and busy than the main restaurant, and as you could sit outside and be almost on the beach we preferred it, although there was slightly less choice of food. We had breakfasts and dinners at the Hacienda, and they were very good. Delicious food, plenty of it, loads of variety and friendly helpers to serve drinks, coffees etc. The tennis facilities were excellent and it was well organized with lessons every morning and friendly tournaments each afternoon. Thanks to Danny, Elli and Natalie for managing the tennis so well. There is so much going on at the Club, especially watersports, that you could be active all day and all night. However we are a bit older than the average guests there, so we were happy to spend a lot of our time simply relaxing by the private Jade pool, which is beautiful. Every day one or more of the managers (Chefs du village) came round to speak to every guest, to check that everything was OK. Thanks to Magali, Eduardo, and Zany for your attention. We also met many of the G.O's who are a great bunch, always keen to sit with you and practice their English. All of the staff, concierges, housekeeping, bar staff, pool attendants, were amazingly hard-working, polite and helpful.

Our only niggle was that Jade seems to have an identity crisis; it is marketed as a bit special, the luxury 5 trident space for which you pay quite a lot extra. However both weeks we were there it was full of families, some of whom certainly did not respect the tranquility which we would have appreciated, especially over the weekends. I'm not sure that you can have your cake and eat it; either somewhere is 'family friendly' or it is a calm and quiet area; it can't fully meet both expectations, and at the moment I have to be honest and say that people expecting Jade to be a haven of peace and tranquility might be disappointed. It didn't spoil the holiday though, everything else was so perfect that it couldn't, and we would love to return, with our fingers crossed that serenity has been restored.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ClubMedUK_official, Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Great Member,

We thank you warmly for the time you took to write this in-depth review on Trip Advisor after your stay in our Cancun Yucatan Club Med Resort. We are really pleased to see you and your husband had good time there and you enjoyed the beautiful Resort location, our staff commitment, the quality and variety of the food and the wide range of activities proposed. We will feedback your concerns about the tranquility to the staff of the Resort.

We hope to see you again soon in one of our Resorts!

Best regards,

Your Club Med UK Team
Whitecourt, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We were afraid our 22 year old would be bored among the young families and older couples. Opposite! He enjoyed a Club Med night life the rest of us slept through. :) ALL the staff went out of their way to take care of our every want, it was a perfect vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear shauna c,
We would like to thank you for sharing your Club Med experience with us! It is great to hear that everyone in your family was able to enjoy our beautiful location and staff to make it a “perfect vacation.” We can’t wait to have you back very soon!

Your Club Med Team

Been to Club Med Cancun Yucatan? Share your experiences!