This trip was booked by my husband who needed a quick get-away. From Baltimore, we could hop on a plane and be in a hotel in Cancun in about the same time we could drive to one of our own beaches. I wasn't thrilled, having no desire to visit Cancun in July (holy heat!) since I thought of it as more of a trashy spring-breaker type destination. Our first impression of the resort was good. I could have done without the view of all the other resorts in the distance, but that quickly faded into the background. Our room was the only disappointment. We had 2nd floor deluxe adjoining rooms in the building right on the main beach. That part was great, though it really was too hot to sit out on the balcony. They could certainly benefit from some kind of awning. What really made me uncomfortable was the pervasive dank smell and the dark, dingy bathrooms. The smell was not eminating from the room, but the air system which was sufficiently cold and never stopped running. The shower/sink area is separate from the toilet area and despite being nicely decorated they were so dark and lacking in luxury that you almost go the feeling they were hiding something. This was magnified by a bad paint job in the water closet and hallway that linked the two rooms. It was dark and poorly done, leading you to wonder if they were painting over a rowdy guest that was there right before you. It made the water closet feel like an outhouse, especially with the outdated toilets. Another thing that annoyed us was the lack of movies or TV channels available, but that was a small thing. This is a place to be out and about! Overall, the room was sub-par despite a fantastic view, ample space and comfortable beds.
What really turned me was the children's programs. My daughter, aged 5, had so much fun we barely got to see her. The GOs in the Mini Med program were fantastic! The activities and shows they did were so above and beyond what I expected that we'll probably go back just for that. I particularly liked that they weren't all women. My son, 11, tried to get involved with the older kids program, but everyone spoke french and he felt a little left out. He spent most of his time sailing and kayaking anyway. It was all included and we had a great time hanging out at the watersports section of the resort, We loved that there was a little bar and restaurant right next door so we could sip drinks while we watched him sail. My husband and son also went on an excursion to the Mayan ruins, which they loved, but almost passed out from heat exhaustion.
The food and hospitality were more than adequate considering that this was all-inclusive. In the nicer restaurants you're given several small courses, whcih I liked. Other places it's all buffet with a lot of variety. Milk and coffee refills are a little hard to come by. There is absolutely no alcohol in the mixed drinks. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can get a bunch.
What I loved the most was the beach and water. Lovely sand, gorgeous clear water like no where else. One thing to note: people are fierce about reserving umbrellas and will go out at 6am to park a towel and hold their spot. Often they don't actually show up until midday! One morning, I had found myself a second row spot and had simply run inside to use the restroom. When I came out minutes later someone had thrown our stuff on the ground and put their stuff in its place! But they were nowhere to be seen. Their stuff stayed where i put it the entire day!!! There are signs warning that this practice is not permitted, but its not enforced.
In summary, I would go again but only if I could stay in the Jade building where the rooms should feel less motel-like.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Cancun Yucatan Hotel Cancun
- Club Med Cancun Yucatan Hotel
- Club Med Cancun
- Club Med
- Cancun Club Med
- Club Med Cancun Resort
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the wonders of Mexico in this environmentally friendly all-inclusive family resort nestled on a pristine stretch of world-famous Mayan Riviera beach. Travel to Club Med Cancun Yucatan with your family to enjoy a carefree all-inclusive vacation amidst the sumptuous amenities, natural beauty and a relaxing atmosphere that make this unique family resort as breathtaking as it is adventurous. Uncover a fresh perspective on the charm of the Mexican culture and experience a vacation filled with enhancements for the entire family. There's so much about this newly redesigned resort that will touch your family for years to come: refined accommodations, excursions* to Mayan archeological sites, a new Club Med Spa by Comfort Zone*, 3 restaurants including 1 fine Mexican dining venue and 1 serving worldwide specialties, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets and Orbitz so you can book your Club Med Cancun Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.