We stayed at Dreams Cancun from Aug 4-10, 2009. My husband and I are in our mid 30’s and we have 2 children ages 5 & 7. When we arrived it was warm in the lobby as a lot had written, but I expected as much seeing as we were going to Cancun! Our room was ready as soon as we arrived and our bags brought to us in a timely manner. Although my parents were in another room and they had to wait for quite a few hours before getting their room and were not happy mainly because the staff kept telling them that it would be ready in little bit but it turned out to be hours. The rooms looked older than other places that I had traveled, but were always clean and well stocked (Coronitas, soda and juices). I had told the hotel before our arrival that this was an anniversary trip and when we got to our room there was champagne and an anniversary sign on our door, a nice touch! Our room looked over the dolphin lagoon and although the morning activities always woke me up it wasn't so bad, the dolphins were fun to watch!
Food/Drinks - we had the buffet for breakfast every day and it was great! Oh, one day we did room service, which was also good. For lunches we always ordered beach side (slow service but I was in no hurry since I was on vacation!). We also ate at the seaside grille for a few lunches, yummy! We tried all the restaurants at dinner and loved them all, Oceana, Himitsu and Seaside grill. We took advantage of almost all the bars. Some drinks were very light and others very strong, depends on what you order.
Activities/ Kids club - My husband played beach volleyball every day. The water aerobics looked fun but I just never got a chance to participate. The activities staff was always on the go, so enthusiastic and fun! My kids at 1st were very hesitant on going into the kids club but after a few minutes were kept busy and asked if they could stay longer. Every day they asked to go in for quite a few hours. They provided pagers and whenever my kids needed me they paged me. The caregivers were soo nice and kept the kids busy and having fun! I used the gym a few times, always clean and not crowded. The nightly shows were entertaining. Not top notch performances, but the staff tried so hard and we enjoyed it.
Pool /beach- The main pool looked pretty murky to me so I never stepped foot in there. I spent all my time on the beach. (If you want to swim in a pool this resort is not for you.) The hotel has such a great location, with beaches on 2 sides of it. The water was so calm and warm. The kids enjoyed wading and building sandcastles. I enjoyed the lounge chairs, never had a hard time getting one in the shade! And towels were always plentiful. My husband and son took a kayak out into the water, they weren't allowed to go very far, but enjoyed it.
We took one excursion to the chichen itza ruins and even though it poured on us for an hour or so we loooved it! We learned so much. We stopped by a cenote which was neat, the kids played in the natural spring water. We booked through Olympus Tours; they have an office at the hotel, convenient! We did bargain with them, telling them about rates we found online with other tour groups. Although a lot of people like to drive on their own or rent a private tour van, we enjoyed our group tour a lot. We met a lot of really nice people on the bus. It was air conditioned and comfy. You do waste time though visiting a Mayan village where they try to sell you souvenirs, but the lunch was tasty. Oh and it is a long day.
We didn't do any shopping or even leave the resort, except for the ruins, and we were kept busy the whole time. I have friends that went to the mercado and said that the prices were high.
My sister used the business center every day. They provide you with 15 minutes of free internet a day. They also had movies to borrow, which we didn't take advantrage of.
I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone looking to go to Cancun, it's a great family resort. My 7 year old son keeps asking to go back, remembering the names of all his favorite restaurants and (non-alcoholic) drinks.
Oh and don’t forget to bring dollar bills for tipping. Although the staff doesn’t expect it it’s a nice gesture for all the hard work that they do for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sophisticated readers of Condé Nast Traveler magazine named Dreams Cancun one of the Top Ten Resorts in Mexico. Travel industry publication TravelAge West also honored Dreams Cancun with its prestigious Wave Award, naming it Best All-Inclusive Resort, Mexico. Rave reviews plus Unlimited-Luxury® — both excellent indications that things are very special here.Cancun is a friendly and bustling city voted as the #9 Best Destination in the Caribbean and Mexico for the TripAdvisor Traveler's Choice Awards. Yet within our lush 7.1 oceanfront acres, you will be serenely tucked away. One reason is our one-of-a-kind location. Here at the most eastern tip of Mexico, you are surrounded on three sides by the beauty of the azure Caribbean Sea — the only resort in Cancun with this remarkable location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Hyatt Ziva Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa
- Dreams Hotel Cancun
- Dreams Cancun Hotel
- Camino Real Cancun
- Dreams Cancun Mexico
- Cancun Dream Resort
- Dreams Resort Spa Cancun
- Cancun Dreams Hotel
- Dreams Resort Cancun Mexico