“Fairy Tale Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

and 1 more site!
You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Chicago, Il
“Fairy Tale Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I were married at Dreams Cancun in Nov. 2007. We had a wonderful time! We had 20 guests stay at the resort also. Every single one of them raved about how our wedding was one the most beautiful and entertaining they've been too. Everyone loved the resort and said they would love to come back. This is what I thought of our week we stay.

The resort is not the most lavish I've stayed in, but it was beautiful, well taken care of and clean. Its definitely a family resort. They will not allow big groups of spring breakers who will disrupt the other guests.

The customer service is top notch I would give it a 10. Dreams had the most hospitable staff of ANY place I've stayed. Never batted an eye at any request and didn't deny any either.

We stayed in the Honeymoon suite in the Tower. It was incredilbe! The views were spectacular. The bed was comfortable and the sheets soft. Five bucks to the maid that stocks your fridge and she'll put whatever you want in it.

The food was awesome. I don't remember the name of the Japanese rest. but it was fantastic. The world cafe has everything you could want.

The wedding was easy to plan. You have a free wedding planner that sets everything up. My only suggestion is that you hire your own photographer and videographer. I hired a local photographer from Claudia Rodriguez studio (--). Erick took the most beauiful pictures! I used the hotel videographer and was very unhappy with his work, very amatuer. The ceremony was BEAUTIFUL! It took place in the gazebo, it is higher up and surrounded by water. (You can do yoga here too) I had a cocktail hour on the deck of the Tower. I highly recommend the Mariachi band. Then we had the reception on the beach with the house DJ. Again I recommend maybe hiring your own. He was ok but not great. I really enjoyed it and so did my guests.

The dolphins are really cool. If you have a chance to swim with them you'll not regret it.

The only negative thing I can say is the pool is small. But there are two beautiful beaches to make up for it.

All in all Dreams is a great resort and I can't wait to go back there again.

Stayed November 2007, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Polish first
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I went to Dreams Cancun in Oct 2008 with my boyfriend. Check in was quick and we were very impressed by our room. It was clean and modern. I had read reviews about dampness in the room and mildew, but didn't really encounter this. Maybe a little with the heavy comforter. My biggest complaint was that the door to the balcony doesn't have an actual door knob. It was a block of wood stuck onto the door, so you have to push or pull to open it, and there were a few times that I went out on the balcony and my boyfriend had to let me back in. The hotel itself is slightly dated but still beautiful and well kept. The beach was pretty nice. The water and sand were clean and we were usually able to find a lounge chair. We only went in the pool once because it isn't that large and usually has activities going on in it.. ie volleyball. The food at all of the restaurants was fresh, the drinks were good, and the service by every employee at the hotel was incredible. Our maid did a fantastic job, always straightening our shoes, bathroom products, etc no matter how messy we left it. Drinks (including beer) were regularly restocked in the mini fridge and by the time we left, several waiters knew our names. We only stayed 5 nights and didn't have that much interaction with them so I was really impressed by that. We did not do the dolphin stuff but it was fun to watch.

The hotel is nicely located and a short walk to lots of shops and restaurants. We ate off the resort twice- once at Paloma Bonita across the street which was fabulous, and lunch at Carlos & Charlies which wasn't that great... I wish we had stayed on the resort more. We booked a couple excursions and were horribley disapointed. IF YOU BOOK ANY ACTIVITIES, I HIGHLY SUGGEST USING THE AGENT INSIDE THE HOTEL. We used Olympus Tours which rents an office out of the front of the hotel (Accessible by the outside only). They were completely misleading and told outright lies to make a sale. We did deep sea fishing which was the worst experience of my life. I have fished and been on boats in bays, lakes, ocean, etc, but never deep sea fishing. Within an hour I was throwing up out the window of the boat and continued to throw up and cry for hours. The crew didn't speak english and refused to bring me back to shore until the entire 6 hour excursion was over. We also booked a party hopper pass from Olympus. The big seller is the 8 hour pass I believe, but we didn't want to go out for that long, so were offered a 4 hour and told it was basically the same thing, but included less bars, less time, and cost less money. We bought it and started our night at Margaritaville, which was one of the several bars listed on the pass. We also ended our night there because the "pass" they sold us was only for 1 bar. Margaritaville really tried to accomodate us and upgraded us to whatever drinks we wanted, not just well drinks (I specifically asked the Olympus rep if it was well drinks and was told "No, no, margaritas, daquiris, anything!" but that pretty much ruined our night. My boyfriend went to Olympus first thing in the morning and demanded our money back (we also had another excursion booked through them for the following day). They refunded very little, compared to the hundreds we had given them. Next time I will enjoy what the resort has to offer, and book anything else THROUGH the hotel, as they would be accountable for any problems.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The purpose of our destination to this hotel was a wedding. Our party consisted of nearly 30 people. The hotel was very accomodating. Given that this was my first time to Cancun, I expect to be a bit disapointed on my next trip because I was completely spoiled by the Dreams hotel. The asthetics and service are unparallel.

The hotel is a bit expensive but you get what you pay for. The positives: Room service is fenomenal. They bring actual meals to your room (not just sandwitches and burgers). I had flautas in mole sauce one night; they were great. The views and location is uncompareble. The hotel has waterfront property on three sides. Two Small but private beaches. Additionally you can go snorkeling just off the beach (about 40 yards from shore) and see many colorful (mostly yellow and silver) fish. I even got to hover over a small sting ray! It was about 16 inches in diameter.

The hotel itself does not have a party atmosphere, but you can walk just a few block to the "party" strip of cancun to live it up like a rock star every night if you'd like. So, if you are looking to party 24/7 this may not be for you. There is a more relaxed atmosphere which caters to families, romantic couples, and empty nesters.

• Stayed September 2009
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

After much debate and reviewing on trip advisor, We decided to book our 4 day trip to Dreams. I must say that the most uneventful part of this trip was getting bombarded by the timeshare people at the airport. So please move past these people upon arrival. Now as for our transfers from the airport to Dreams was not bad at all.

We arrived at the hotel and was greeted and taken care of immediately. The girl at the front desk (Jeanette), was very politely and helped us upgrade to a honeymoon suite. Don't be fooled by what they call a jazcuzzi in the suite as this is what they a tub. We get to our room which was perfect locaiton in a corner on the resort room 2242. The room was big, but could have used some updating. The only issues we had was the HOT water not being available from 5pm for about an hour, since I believe all the hot water was being used as people were getting ready for the evening. Also the second issue which we lived with was the ants. Not that many, but enough to be annoying at times.

The resturants were good. The buffet had an okay variety of food. We ate there for lunch once and for breakfest on our way to check out.

Hitmitsu, Seaside grill and Oceana were great. The wait was longer than I expect since they seemed to be short of staffing in all 3 restaraunts. This was my only compliant. The food was great.

The main pool seemed to be small and crowed and the fact that some folks were drunk and spilling their beers in the pool pretty much disgusted us. The inifity pool was great. It was not full and it gave us the initmate scene that we were looking for on our trip.

The dolphin experience was great. The man made beach not to impressed looked very dirty. The beaches was great! The staff for the rental equipment were very freindly (Ceasar) and was exceptional.

The SPA was pricey for a mediocre massage. So be careful what you pick. We did the couples massage by the water during the sunset. Romantic yes. Relaxing not so.

Overall Dreams was a perfect place if you want to get away for a couple of days and are looking to get away form the every day running around. I would defnitly go back to Dreams since it also was very family friendly. I highlt recommend you give this hotel a chance. can't wait to goo again. The staff were great as well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Traveled with my daughter - weather on internet was thunder storms - we had sunshine everyday with 3 days of 15 min of rain.We loved the open air atmosphere - Asian and Seaside Grill was fantastic - we picked a great time to go - not too crowded so had lots of attention from staff - as much as you wanted for eat and drink - loved the all-inclusive idea when there are a selection of restaurants to choose from - definitely a 5 star vacation - loved the water and lounge chairs with shaded covering - with avail. beach towels. Had trouble using the internet. Loved the douphins - very entertaining!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Ventura County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Dreams Cancun was MORE than we expected....MORE than we thought we had paid for and .....MORE BEAUTY and SERVICE for my mother/daughter vacation than my mom or I could have ever dreamed of. The delightful staff were always anxious to meet all of our needs. The facility was SPOTLESSLY CLEAN. The events, activities available and gourmet food kept us excited for the next day each day of our trip! This hotel/resort quickly became an OASIS away for us as a mother/daughter vacation week that became a DREAM COME TRUE! The LOCATION combined with the service and food was simply AMAZING!! Thank YOU so much to all of your staff at Himitsu, Seaside Grill, World Cafe who helped us to feel spoiled!!

Patti Ricketts
Califorina, USA

• Stayed October 2009
Charleston, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2009

OK I'll admit I really built up this Dreams resort before the trip. I had read all the reviews and expected it to be top notch.

It surpassed my expectations. I saw the dolphins photos beforehand. Big deal right just dolphins but having them greet you every morning to breakfast is awesome.

The rooms are somewhat dated but Dreams has what NO other resort has......WATER ON THREE SIDES!!! LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

Absolutely stunning views.

Himatsu was so good we ate there 2 nights in a row. Then we discovered the Seaside Grill. I ate Ribeye and shrimp 3 nights in a row. It was that good.

Was September supposed to be the slow season?? I thought the resort was pretty crowded.

All the bartenders were excellent. All the alcohol you could handle.

Anyway wife and I are planning our next trip.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!