“Good bye Dreams Cancun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Los Angeles, California
“Good bye Dreams Cancun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed 5 times in Dreams Cancun since 2007. I wrote a review before about Dreams, and I said that the rooms need renovation, but I was not expecting this. I tried different hotels in Cancun and DR, but never seen a hotel that beats Dreams Cancun(Hayett Ziva) when it comes to food or the awesome beach it had. My family and I were shocked to learn about what happened. We had lots of great unforgettable memories at Dreams. The staff made us feel welcome all the time. Hopefully Hayett management team is wise enough to keep the legacy of Dream Cancun alive with it good food, welcoming atmosphere, and reasonable all-inclusive prices. Keeping the old staff will be a great idea. Hopefully I will see Miguel's and lider's smiley faces again at the swim up bar.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Checking in seemed to be the biggest turn off. Had to wait over an hour than quoted to get our room. Staff was apologetic, but it seemed out of their hands. Not enough staff to accommodate the guests arriving. The second issue to deal with is the pool chairs. If you want a specific spot, you need to get up real early (6:00 am) to reserve your chair. It is first come first serve. We had some issues during low season. I can't imaging what is like at high season. The staff make it worth while, Eduardo Gonzalez at the buffet restaurant was awesome. Tip, try to get the same server everyday. We did with Eduardo and his service was excellent. He would have our choice of beverage waiting when we came back with our food. He always had a big smile and eager to please. Great guy. Leonel at the ocean side buffet was great as well. We only ate there a few times. He was always ready to answer questions and made us feel at ease. His knowledge of the area was invaluable. Maria, the activities director was nothing short of amazing. She was everywhere doing everything for the guests. All smiles and energetic from hosting water aerobics, cartoon trivia, handing out towels at the pool or hosting the nightly shows which are well worth the time to see. She was everywhere all the time. An outstanding person, she definitely made it fun. And Carlos the buffet manager!! The man took care of us like family. It was our 20th anniversary and Carlos personally waited on us. He was friendly, remembered our names after the first day. He made sure my wife always she the type of wine she liked. We were always greeted by name and a big hug. These people made the trip something to remember. We worth it thanks to all of them. We miss them already.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy, fewer children. For a good sunrise,sunset view again higher floor and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Hyatt can consider their routers fried. I have vacationed there every year for the past 5 years and have never had such amazing times anywhere else in my life. The memories made by the staff and their fantastic personalities, as well as just little things like enjoying evenings listening to music and drinking beverages in the lobby. I will miss this hotel when Hyatt comes in and destroys the peaceful atmosphere and laid-back qualities of the resort. One thing I loved above all was the fact that wrist bands were not required to be worn during your stay. I had stayed at a resort with that requirement and it hindered my experience greatly. I'll miss you, Dreams Cancun. Farewell.

Room Tip: The Hyatt owners knocked down the Pyramid building. All the satisfactory rooms are gone.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

most of the Administrative staff and managers are there for just one purpose - to make sure you pay pay pay
The word Service and quality are somehow forgotten.
no pictures of dolphins - buy them in the store, nohelp, no taxi, no phone...tv remote and AC had to be serviced 3 times.Extreme surprise when AC had to be serviced and reserviced....had to change rooms at the end, but equivalent room was not available, co have to pay extra for a better room....
All kinds of cheez like that.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Springfield.ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was our 9th trip to Dreams Cancun since March 2009. We had a total of 98 wonderful days at this wonderful resort. We were happy that we could return and say goodbye to our Dreams family.It was our home away from home like many of the families we met there over the years.
What made Dreams special was the management and the great staff.Granted it is probably the best location in all of Cancun. It has 2 great beaches ,one on the bay side and the other on the ocean side. The hotel and its grounds were well maintained and all of the restaurants were excellent and the food was very good.
All of the old regulars were shocked when we heard Dreams was closing and that Playa Resorts was hooking up with Hyatt Ziva. We are all concerned that the new resort will be made too large and ornate and loose the homey charm.The old resort made you feel relaxed and like you are returning to your home. The bay beach cannot handle any more beach chairs it is crowded already. We are also concerned that it might become to expensive for the families that went to Dreams.
I,ve heard good things about Hyatt Resorts (however I hope it is not a place that makes you wear arm bands of different colors - where it differentiates where you are staying. Also I hope they do not impose a stuffy dress code at their resorts -- Vacation should be a casual adventure and a warm environment. We are also hoping it will be affordable.
Finally what made Dreams a success was it's great Management and staff. Hyatt would be wise to pursue hiring some of the old staff.
I did contact Hyatt about the changes etc. but so far I did not receive a reply.
We do intend on returning to try the new resort and we hope it will be family friendly and make you feel like you are returning to your home and family. I hope they leave the Pyramid alone it was a great building overlooking the ocean. We always stayed in the same room 5207 -- it was our home away from home.We were the last guests to check out of Dreams Cancun on April 30th.
Finally i would like to thank the Management and staff of Dreams for creating a great resort and providing us with many great memories. We hope some of them return to the new resort or they all find suitable employment they were all terrific.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the oceanside in the pyramid. Sun in the morning shade in the afternoon.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Grove City, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

The reviews prior to this are for dreams cancun not hyatt ziva which is not even open yet. I don't think its ok assume the reviews from the previous owners and staff. This will be the same property but nothing else will be what the 3700+ reviews prior to the owner swap where based on. Dreams was a great resort and many people wrote reviews wanting to share that, not what hyatt ziva cancun is like because nobody knows that seeing they don't open til mid 2015. Tripadvisor needs to do the responsible reporting thing and start back at zero and ziva has never had a guest.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

It was my first time to Cancun but my second time at a Dreams resort. Had stayed at the Dreams in Cabo. I prefer this Dreams resort primarily because of the location in the Hotel Zone and being steps away from the crystal blue Caribbean water on the eastern part of the property. The food was decent just like the Cabo property - not surprising. My wife and I enjoyed the off-site Mexican restaurant the most. Unfortunately, you have to be one of the first that morning (9am) to make a reservation at one of the limited number of tables set aside for Dreams guests. Just glad we were able to take advantage of it once during our stay. The location is ideal to be able to explore the Hotel Zone in Cancun. All the restaurants, shopping, and nightlife are pretty much walking distance or bus ride from the property. My wife and I took advantage of the amazing water to go SCUBA diving (my wife got certified here and I ventured to the underwater museum at the Isla de Mujeres and drift diving in Cozumel). The weather was very nice and would love to come back, but highly unlikely at this resort given the overabundance of resorts in the area. But we still enjoyed our week here but surprised to recently find out that the Dreams is no longer.

Room Tip: Stay away from ground level and opt for ocean view as opposed to interior rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!