“THIS REVIEW IS FOR DREAMS CANCUN -- WE WERE THE LAST GUESTS TO CHECK OUT ON APRIL 30TH -2014-HYATT ZIVA TOOK OVER THEN” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Springfield.ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was our 9th trip to Dreams Cancun since March 2009. We had a total of 98 wonderful days at this wonderful resort. We were happy that we could return and say goodbye to our Dreams family.It was our home away from home like many of the families we met there over the years.
What made Dreams special was the management and the great staff.Granted it is probably the best location in all of Cancun. It has 2 great beaches ,one on the bay side and the other on the ocean side. The hotel and its grounds were well maintained and all of the restaurants were excellent and the food was very good.
All of the old regulars were shocked when we heard Dreams was closing and that Playa Resorts was hooking up with Hyatt Ziva. We are all concerned that the new resort will be made too large and ornate and loose the homey charm.The old resort made you feel relaxed and like you are returning to your home. The bay beach cannot handle any more beach chairs it is crowded already. We are also concerned that it might become to expensive for the families that went to Dreams.
I,ve heard good things about Hyatt Resorts (however I hope it is not a place that makes you wear arm bands of different colors - where it differentiates where you are staying. Also I hope they do not impose a stuffy dress code at their resorts -- Vacation should be a casual adventure and a warm environment. We are also hoping it will be affordable.
Finally what made Dreams a success was it's great Management and staff. Hyatt would be wise to pursue hiring some of the old staff.
I did contact Hyatt about the changes etc. but so far I did not receive a reply.
We do intend on returning to try the new resort and we hope it will be family friendly and make you feel like you are returning to your home and family. I hope they leave the Pyramid alone it was a great building overlooking the ocean. We always stayed in the same room 5207 -- it was our home away from home.We were the last guests to check out of Dreams Cancun on April 30th.
Finally i would like to thank the Management and staff of Dreams for creating a great resort and providing us with many great memories. We hope some of them return to the new resort or they all find suitable employment they were all terrific.

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the oceanside in the pyramid. Sun in the morning shade in the afternoon.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
Grove City, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

The reviews prior to this are for dreams cancun not hyatt ziva which is not even open yet. I don't think its ok assume the reviews from the previous owners and staff. This will be the same property but nothing else will be what the 3700+ reviews prior to the owner swap where based on. Dreams was a great resort and many people wrote reviews wanting to share that, not what hyatt ziva cancun is like because nobody knows that seeing they don't open til mid 2015. Tripadvisor needs to do the responsible reporting thing and start back at zero and ziva has never had a guest.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

It was my first time to Cancun but my second time at a Dreams resort. Had stayed at the Dreams in Cabo. I prefer this Dreams resort primarily because of the location in the Hotel Zone and being steps away from the crystal blue Caribbean water on the eastern part of the property. The food was decent just like the Cabo property - not surprising. My wife and I enjoyed the off-site Mexican restaurant the most. Unfortunately, you have to be one of the first that morning (9am) to make a reservation at one of the limited number of tables set aside for Dreams guests. Just glad we were able to take advantage of it once during our stay. The location is ideal to be able to explore the Hotel Zone in Cancun. All the restaurants, shopping, and nightlife are pretty much walking distance or bus ride from the property. My wife and I took advantage of the amazing water to go SCUBA diving (my wife got certified here and I ventured to the underwater museum at the Isla de Mujeres and drift diving in Cozumel). The weather was very nice and would love to come back, but highly unlikely at this resort given the overabundance of resorts in the area. But we still enjoyed our week here but surprised to recently find out that the Dreams is no longer.

Room Tip: Stay away from ground level and opt for ocean view as opposed to interior rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel only for 2 nights during my business trip in 2014. Don't use much service but in overall the hotels seems good and well managed. Don't mind giving 4 star review for this hotel and I can recommend to the other travelers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Wabash, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed April 5-9 2014 and was the worst hotel all inclusive our family of six have ever experienced.. Two rooms overlooking dolphins ---both flooded and the bathrooms smell---Contacted the Dreams upper management and AmResorts immediately on arriving home 13 times---Best response I got was essentially "Sorry you weren't pleased" which I will hear one more time here but also thought about pursuing legal steps for fraud and false advertising--(the four star menus online are not the food you get!!!!!) but they wore me down and didn't even offer to reimburse me my water stained ruined backpacks and luggage from their flooded floors. , ..nasty people ----nasty hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Go to Cancun--the X-plor trip with caves and zip lines are are fantastic---Excellent snorkeling oppo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
south of Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Dates of visit: April 21- 29, 2014

As sadly as this is to see such a fantastic establishment as Dreams Cancun shutting its doors, I find it imperative to write a review literally moments after returning in from my flight home to share the reasons why we have returned to dreams and hopefully it will help the future of the business and the people who have held jobs there.

Our family is somewhat well traveled compared to others with small children. We typically travel the Caribbean and Mexico. We came to Dreams cancun 6 years ago (which you will also see I reviewed back then), tried around different locations but so far Dreams is hand downs our favorite. Of course location is key. This is the most beach space you will find in the hotel zone. But honestly what brought us back is the STAFF. Miguel (or "Don" Miguel as he is tenderly called) from the front reception area played with my boys and I knew he really loved his job and seeing my boys so happy. My boys are going to bed tonight asking for him and my five year old actually said "mommy I hope Miguel doesn't have to find a new job" He was so sweet he even ran out to the van as we were leaving for another high five and hug. It was the first time I have left a resort with tears i my eyes as I thought to myself this may be his last day of work.

Victor at world cafe was also one of the sweetest men I have met. We remembered him from 6 years ago. He also took my boys as they were his own and made napkin animals for them and just really loved his job and we can't thank him enough. Manuel at world cafe also totally rocked and helped make our trip.
Eulila at the omelette station was so sweet every morning and I actually hugged her leaving to thank her. Where else do you get such a great staff!!!? In the majority of my travels anyone at an omelette station makes little eye contact and there is no personable interaction.
The food at oceana was superb, especially for all inclusive. Cesar, Martin and Edier (Eddie) were on the top of their game, remembering us and honestly treating us like we were VIP every day. I will miss them!
Pedro, Angel and Jorge at the barracuda bar (?) -- the bar with the swings were FANTASTIC. Pedro even remembered a coconut appetizer dish I asked for that they used to make years ago after "coco loco" hour. I guess this is a thing of the past but Pedro got the original recipe and made it just for me. These are truly people you don't want to loose as staff.

The Hitasu restaurant is another gem..yes the food and ambience is to die for but the staff is irreplaceable. My little ones had SO much fun with Eladio (or as they called him "Dragon") every night we saw him. He brought them out special desserts and really just added to our special trip.
Luis and the rest of the wait staff were over accommoding to us all the time.

Juan from sugar reef bar was also always ready for me with a drink and smile. He really loved his job.

A review about dreams can not be complete without the star of your show and entertainment team, Adrian. What a great guy with a great personality. You are lucky to have him.

As you can tell I could go on and on about personal stories that we encountered with all the Dreams staff. It gave me a heavy heart to think these lovely people will be out of work. As my husband and I are US business owners ourselves, I can only hope that you invest in this staff with the proper severance and unemployment packages until you reopen. I love the location of the resort but sadly you will lose future business of ours if we hear the staff was mistreated in any way during transfer of ownership. Even the gardeners and painters who have been there forever always looked up to say hi to us.

THANK YOU DREAMS STAFF from the bottom of our hearts.
I will be in contact.

Best Regards and prayers with you all,
Linda

Stayed April 2014
Medway, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Dreams, Cancun is a great location over looking the ocean. Such a great place to wake up each day! What made it all the better vacation was the truly amazing staff. From the servers, entertainers, Explorer Club staff, cleaning and maintenance staff-each and every one was genuinely kind, happy and seemed intent on making our vacation one to remember. What made this more amazing was the fact that Dreams is due to close this coming Wednesday (April 30, 2014) and the staff will be without work. Yet they maintained a very professional and upbeat attitude the entire time. If I did not hear from another guest that Dreams was closing I would never have known otherwise. Even when asked about their situation the staff was still professional in their response. Our daughter LOVED the Explorer Club staff, Adry, Abby, Felisa and Dulce seemed to work 24 hours a day with the kids keeping them entertained with a variety of games and events. The Entertainment staff were upbeat and super funny. Mini Me, Felix and Kenya and the many others were great at getting guests to get involved in all the activities and "take part" in their own vacation! I would return to Cancun if I could be assured the level of service was as good as what we experienced at Dreams. We wish all the best to the fabulous staff and hope they are able to find work quickly-any resort or other company would be LUCKY to employ each and every one of them. Thank you for a great vacation!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!