“Amazing and beautiful vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

and 1 more site!
You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Dixon, Illinois
“Amazing and beautiful vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I came here with my best friend a couple weeks ago, and it was a blast! For two teenage girls (me, 19 and my friend, 18) we felt pretty safe. I would definitely recommend travelling with a few guys to play body guards if you're in the same position as us. But if you choose to go it alone, you should be fine. It was easy to make friends that wanted to go out and party, and make sure we got home safely. Theres also the entertainment team that will take you out to the clubs. Except they only take you there, then leave around midnight and let you figure out getting home yourself. The only thing that's fine about that is that Dreams Cancun is in the middle of the night life. Coco Bongo, Senor Frogs, The City, Mandala, La Vaquita, and others are literally just right up the street. Only takes a couple minutes to get home, on foot.
The hotel itself was beautiful. We had a dolphin view room, absolutely beautiful. A lot of people complain about waking up to the dolphins. I don't see why that would be a problem, because they are absolutely adorable and then you can run straight out to the balcony and watch lessons taking place. I didn't get to experience it for myself because we unfortunately ran out of money, but all ages, and genders reacted the exact same way to the dolphins it was awesome watching a middle aged man have the same huge smile on his face as any other kid in the pool when the dolphin picked him up. The bed honestly wasn't that comfortable, but after a long day and usually quite a bit of alcohol, it doesn't seem too uncomfortable anymore.
All the hallways/corridors were very open. We couldn't smoke in our room but we just had to walk right out of the room and sit in the hallway. Even their ashtrays are pretty :P There's one side of the beach that is pretty rocky and then theres a hill where weddings are usually being held so we didn't really get to check out that beach during the day. but at night it was absolutely beautiful the moon illuminated the water as the waves crash up on the big rocks. I definitely recommend taking the time on at least one night to go check it out.
There was always room on the beach when we were there so if we didn't feel like sitting next to a bunch of people there was always a spot for us to go to just enjoy the beautiful weather and ocean.
Room service was great, any time of day or night! I was eating bacon every time we went back to the room. The staff really seems to like when you at least make the effort to speak to them in Spanish. I can't tell you how many people gave me the biggest smile when I'd want bacon in the middle of the night and wish them a good evening in spanish.
Housekeeping comes every morning and evening. Morning, they clean up all your stuff and make your bed up all nice, line up your shoes, and give you all the amenities. Evening, they'd 'turn down' the bed, pull the shades, give you a foot mat between beds, and give you two pieces of paper and chocolate. One paper had a list of everything going on the next day, and the other paper had the forecast.
Theres also the beverage cart that comes through every afternoon to restock your minifridge and give you whatever extra drinks they see you drink the most.
I really appreciate how they pay attention to you, they remember your faces and usually your names. Of all the people on the resort, it's just really awesome.
The entertainment team is amazing even when they have tough crowds they don't get discouraged they just keep trying to pump up the crowd. I was fortunate to make friends with a few of them. Their names were Foxy, Magic, Mini Me, and Kenya. And every single day when i'd see any of them they'd run up with a big smile and ask me if I was going to this show, or that show. And they'd remind me what times. Foxy and Magic took me and my friend out to Senor Frogs one night, and it was crazy awesome, they took care of us and made sure we had drinks and were staying out of trouble. I would love to have their jobs, they get to party all day and night and they give everyone an amazing memorable experience.
They had all kinds of shows from acrobats, to magic shows, fire shows, dancing, hypnosis (family friendly), break dancing, and then a Dreams Idol where people signed up to sing like on American Idol. They even had some random judges in the audience. It was a really fun experience.
During the day the entertainment team did a lot of stuff in the lagoon area like zumba, beach volley ball, spanish lessons, bingo, and so much more.
At rendez-vous they had indoor and outdoor seating and had a waitress to bring you drinks and almost every night they had live music right there.
I can't really criticize the food too much because I was with a really picky eater so we just ordered room service and went to the world cafe. I really liked the food some of it wasn't the most warm but it was still really good.
All in all it was completely worth the money, and a beautiful and amazing vacation.
I would definitely make this trip again!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
DreamsEconcierge, Sales & Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Savana m,
On behalf of Dreams Cancun, we wish to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay with us.
We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the restaurants, and other facilities.
Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.
Cordially,
econcierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Polish first
Wheaton, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed at this property 3 years ago and were very pleased with our stay. This time the property is looking worn and dated. Perhaps this is due to Hyatt taking over sometime this year.
The staff is very friendly, welcoming and willing to do almost anything to make your stay pleasant. The food seems to be lacking in quality, but does offer a wide variety of choices at every meal.
We stayed in their tower "Club" suites which, too, lacked the amenities we enjoyed during our last stay. Too many families, unsupervised children running around, weddings occupying the bar areas and an overall diminishing of the "classiness" previously offered by upgrading to the tower "Club".
The location and beach area is excellent.
Hopefully, the change to Hyatt can restore this property to its former attractiveness.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower suites.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My husband and I needed to find a resort where we could do some emotional healing. We lost both our son and daughter within a 5 week period of time last summer.

We had stayed at DREAMS in Puerto Aventuras a few years ago, but did not want to make the
trip from the airport this time. We wanted something that didn't require a long ride.

After reading hundreds of reviews, we settled on DREAMS in Cancun. (thanks to a review
that was shared by another person who also needed rest and relation).

From the moment we got off the shuttle until getting back on the shuttle to come home,
it was perfect. The people here are unbelievable. A special thank you to Ms. Anett Ortiz
and her assistant, and Miguel. What an asset these people are to your organization.

We travel a LOT, and never have we received such a high level of hospitality. The food
is superior to any all inclusive we have ever had, the seaside grill has steaks and filets
that are to die for. The drinks all made with top shelf liquors. kudos to Pedro, the bartender
at the Preferred Club tower who made a special drink for me, not too sweet, not too sour....a frozen gin fizz. Loved it.

The beauty of the lush vegetation, the flowers, the breathtaking views of the ocean, it
is difficult to find the right words to describe DREAMS.

Anything to enhance your trip will be done by the staff here.

Unfortunately, this DREAMS has been sold and will be closing in April. I would urge the
executives at the HYATT to continue with the same staff and offer these people positions
to continue their careers in the hospitality industry. This team is truly the best of the best.

We are both managers for one of the world's largest retailers and believe me, finding
this kind of sincere dedication to the customer is not easily found. They will be your greatest
asset moving forward in opening a new resort.

We will surely be watching for reviews on the new resort that is taking over this one.

I am hoping to see the same team mentioned and praised, as we are surely interested
in returning next January.

Thank you for a beautiful week.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BellaF1989,

We thank you for your valuable comments and for the time you took to share your experience
We thank you for this valuable information. Your comments are taken by heart. However we offer you an apology for any inconvenient caused to you. We look forward to your next visit.
I look forward to welcoming you back
Kind regards,
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have been going to all-inclusive resorts for years, so I will admit that I am a bit picky now. I had a great vacation, but there were definitely some drawbacks this time around.

Let me start with the positives:

-Great customer service (front desk, room service)
-Great location in the hotel zone -- easy walk to the shops and bars outside of the resort
-Many bars throughout the resort
-Entertainment is planned throughout the day--tequila tasting, beach volleyball, fire show, etc.
-Easy access to the beach
-Dolphins swimming in the middle of the resort
-A nice variety of restaurants. Seafood, Asian, Mexican, International buffet, even a nice steakhouse

The negatives:

-The buildings are a bit dated
-The resort is rather small
-The stereo in our room was broken
-The television would randomly change channels, turn off, or jump back to the generic pay-per-view screen (watching tv at night was pretty much a no-go because the channel we actually wanted to watch only lasted about 5-10mins)
-The men who work with the travel companies adjoining the hotel are rather pushy and we ended up buying day trips that we didn't have time to use

If I went back to Cancun, I would probably try out a different hotel, but I don't regret staying here for the short (4-day) trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BellaF1989,

I look forward to welcoming you back
Kind regards,
Bedminster, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I traveled to this resort recently to celebrate our friends' wedding. I say that because had we chosen to go on vacation on our own, we probably would not have chosen this location. With that being said, we still enjoyed our very brief (3 night) stay very much.

Having read quite a view Tripadvisor views on this place before going there, I will say that had we paid full price to stay here, we would have been disappointed. However, we booked our travel through Bookit.com and got a really good deal, significantly lower than what was being advertised on Dreams Cancun website. Therefore, we were pleased and felt like we got exactly what we paid for.

Helpful tips:
We did book a round-trip airport transfer to the resort. We chose this based on other people's recommendations. It worked out to be the same price as trying to get transportation upon arrival, but without the hassle of having to deal with it. We knew which company to look for upon our arrival and were greeted by knowledgeable and friendly representatives. I guess BD Travel works with Bookit.com and they were excellent from arrival to departure.

Some things you might want to bring include a large insulated plastic cup as they will fill it for you and your drink will stay colder longer. We usually each bring a cheap, colorful towel to easily identify our beach/pool chairs. At this resort though, that was never an issue. We were always able to find places to sit. Also, we only had carry-on luggage, so we couldn't bring it with us, but bring your own suntan lotion if possible. I know that is a no-brainer, but I paid $300 pesos ($27 US dollars) for a bottle of suntan lotion. It was well worth not getting burned, though!

Bring lot of single dollars with you! We remembered this on our last trip, but not on this one, and wish we had. We tipped on service at the end of each meal and often when ordering drinks for us our friends. Of course tipping is optional, but it's a small way of showing you appreciate the service.

Since I was pregnant on this trip, I wasn't able to enjoy all the great cocktails. However, every day they have a special "drink of the day" and they have one regular, alcoholic drink and one non-alcoholic. If I asked for a virgin pina colada or other drink, they always did their best to make that happen for me!

General comments:
• This resort is a reasonable size, not too big and not too small. You have two different beaches to choose from (as where to sit and spend your day), several pools, and several restaurants. Even though we were at the far end of the resort, in the Preferred Club tower, it only took a few minutes (5-7 minute walk) to get to most of the places within the resort.

• Although some of the decor is outdated, our room was clean when we arrived and cleaned well every day. The resort itself was clean and the grounds are very nice as well.

• If you stay in the Preferred Club, wireless wifi codes are provided for you. That was helpful. I didn't try using the internet in either lobby, so I can't comment on that.

• If you are looking for a quieter stay, consider staying in the Preferred Club tower. The only sounds we ever heard were the sounds of the ocean. :) We never had to wait long for the elevator and enjoyed the snacks that were put out at different times of the day. Also, the mini-bar also had several drinks and bottles of water restocked every day.

• If you are someone in your party wants to go scuba diving, my husband booked a 90 minute trip just off the shore of the resort with the guys in the kiosk on Himistu Beach. Much to his surprise, he had one of his best dive experiences ever. He wasn't expecting that for such a short time out in the water, but in his 10 years of diving, he said it was one of the best.

• If you are planning an event , or wedding, as far as I could tell, the resort did a fantastic job. The wedding ceremony we attended was beautifully set up and the reception on the beach was as good as it gets. The food was probably the best we had during our entire stay and the service was very good.

• One of our favorite things to do was order room-service the night before and enjoy our breakfast and coffee on our balcony, overlooking the ocean. We did that for two mornings and the other two we enjoyed the breakfast buffet. They have everything you could want in that breakfast buffet, which is good.

• If possible, as earlier reviews state, try and eat at the Paloma Bonita Mexican restaurant at least one night. It was nice to have a change of scenery. We really enjoyed the queso fundito and their margaritas were great as well! Also, at different times on Saturday and Sunday nights, they have a mariachi band that comes in during dinnertime. Some people think it's corny, but how cool is THAT to be serenaded by a mariachi band in Mexico? We enjoyed it. Just make sure you make the reservation in person on the morning you want to go. I think they only take a few (a handful) for the evening, as it is a regular restaurant that other people can come dine in as well.

• In general, all of the food was mediocre. I have yet to visit an affordable, all-inclusive resort that has excellent food. However, with that said, we did feel like we had several different options of where to eat. We probably would have tried each place at least once if we were there longer, but we fine with the few places we tried.

• One of our favorite places to get frosty, cold coffee drinks was at the Coco Cafe. My husband enjoyed some of the frozen coffee drinks and I absolutely loved their strawberries and cream one! Yum!

• There seemed to be limited entertainment, for kids and adults alike, but they do make an effort.

• The resort is walking distance from the restaurant and market area. Again, we didn't venture outside of the resort, but it would have been very convenient if we wanted to.

• We are aware that this resort has been sold to new ownership taking over in the spring. As we had never been patrons here before, we didn't notice anything odd. The service was friendly and efficient at all times. We did, however, talk to some other groups that had been here several times before and were able to notice a difference. We didn't and would still consider staying a Dreams Resort in the future.

• The water is safe to drink in the restaurants, otherwise, stick to bottled water. We were part of a group of 40 people staying at the resort for the wedding and no one had any issues with getting sick. However, when you are in Mexico, please be mindful of what you are eating and drinking, especially if you leave your resort. Stick to bottled water whenever possible.

• One day we walked along the beach and this property is definitely one of the best, if not the best, on the whole strip. That is a bonus for sure!

I realize that this was a lengthy review, but I wanted to make sure I got everything! We hope you will enjoy your stay as much as we did!

Room Tip: Consider staying in the Preferred Club tower for a quiet stay. The only sounds we ever heard were th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
DreamsEconcierge, Sales & Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear carpediem29

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated as the help us improve both our service and our product.

We are pleased to read that you liked the pool, beaches, the restaurants and the service.
Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Dreams Cancun.

Warm Regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We really enjoyed this resort after having stayed at several other all inclusives in Mexico. It was our first time at a Dreams Resort. We were attending a destination wedding and were travelling with several other family members including our children and grandchildren.

The dolphins were a wonderful attraction at the resort. We enjoyed walking past them several times a day on the way to our room which was an oceanfront room. As others have mentioned, the showers were cold on occasion but we also enjoyed several hot/warm showers over our 7 night stay.

Our room was spacious with a king bed and enough room to put in two single bed cots (there was not an additional charge for the cots). The tiled floors could become slippery if wet both inside the rooms and the general walkways (there were signs warning of the potential slippery floors). The door out to the balcony was odd - it didn't quite fit the opening and didn't have a proper handle (just a wooden square to grab) - therefore the noise of the winds and waves may keep some people awake.

As we were travelling with young children, we ate the majority of our meals at the World Cafe which we thoroughly enjoyed. There was variety each day and we especially enjoyed the "Kid's Corner" area with foods appealing to children ((hot dogs and pasta etc). One night we ate at the Paloma Bonita - we made reservations as we were told there would be a cover charge if you just showed up without a reservation. The Mexican food was very good - enjoyed the tortilla soup.

We also went to the spa for a 50 minute swedish massage - they were very friendly and the experience was very relaxing. Thoroughly recommend it!

The inner lagoon was shallow and we also enjoyed the hot tub. The kids only went to the Kids Club once but I was very impressed with the staff. We attended the entertainment shows at 830am most nights and found them to be very good and quite a variety of entertainers.

All in all a great resort.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Calgary-visitor,

We are all pleased and honored with comments like yours. We really wish to thank you for your complimentary comments about our hotel facilities, and associates.

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Dreams Cancun is a nice resort for a family vacation. Its not too big or overwhelming and has plenty to do during the day without having to leave the resort. As some background, I stayed at Dreams Riviera Maya last July and loved the resort, it was beautiful. I expected Dreams Cancun to be similar, however, Dreams Cancun is a bit dated and definitely needs some updating. Also, the food at Riviera Maya was excellent and we expected to get a similar experience, but the food was a little better than average at Dreams Cancun. We chose the Dreams Cancun based on our stay at Dreams Riviera Maya, but wanted to be close to the downtown Cancun, should we decide to venture out. Overall the resort was great for the kids (went with four families), as they don't know the difference when it comes to amenities and food. The kids loved it - they had options of a pool, the man-made beach/lagoon or the beach - we spent time in each. Food was ok, but not great, but the all inclusive was extremely convenient especially with kids. The dolphin pool was a great extra and my son swam with the dolphins and loved it. We had a dolphin/ocean view room, which was great - great view of the ocean and front seats for the dolphin pool, which was nice. The rooms are nothing special, but they are clean and comfortable. The resort has a daily line-up of activities that changes from day-to-day and they provide the itinerary the night before, which was great. Some activities included volley ball, pool basketball, a water balloon game, ceramics, beach soccer, horseshoe toss, riflery and more. There is also a kids club, but we didnt use it. They also have evening activities and shows, which we took advantage of each night - magic show, fire show, break dancing show, american idol/kareoke - all the shows were very entertaining! The sports and entertainment staff was awesome - Luis, Minime and Magic were especially great and very friendly. I can't say the same of the wait staff - they were not too friendly and were not accommodating to us, given our group size, i.e. there was always an issue putting tables together, which made no sense given the availability of tables for dinner. The fitness room was ok, also a bit dated, but they have whatever you need, though there was only one elliptical and two treadmills, but no big deal. the gym was nearly empty when I went. Lastly, our friends "upgraded" to the tower - we went to see their room which was identical to ours, so there is no need to "upgrade", on top of the fact that the tower is farther from the main pool and beach area than the dolphin/ocean front building and it is more expensive for no reason. Overall, the vacation was very good and the kids loved it, which is what mattered. If I were to go back to Cancun, I'd stay at the Dreams Riviera Maya and my understanding is that the Dreams Cancun is being purchased by Hyatt and remodeled in 2-3 months.

Room Tip: My room was great, room 3102 - dolphin/ocean front room - great view of the ocean and dolphin pool...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear DonLNewYork,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at our resort.

Your remark is very much appreciated as it help us improve both our service and our product.

We look forward to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Warm regards,

Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!