“Wonderful vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

and 1 more site!
You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Trumansburg, New York
“Wonderful vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Reviews are all relative to ones experience but I can say my husband and I had a fabulous time at this resort. We aren't privileged or world travelers..this was our first vacation in twelve years...we work hard and really needed some time away. We got a nice room, fantastic service, people couldn't do enough for you. I see some of the reviews were a bit snobbish but I can only assume they are from people who do a bit more traveling. This place was perfect for us, we felt at home. I honestly don't think we could have relaxed at a place much fancier than this. For us, perfect.
Being a server in the restaurant industry for many years I didn't see a lot of extra tipping which bothered me. I know it says all inclusive but to not tip, where I come from is rude. We met a great group of travelers with a similar mindset which made a rainy day hysterically fun. Thanks to the staff..everything was wonderful.

Room Tip: We were happy with our ocean front room. The tower section looked lovely..if you feel you need an u...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
DreamsEconcierge, Sales & Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Tsyr98,
We thank you for the time you took to share your experience with other. Your comments encourage us to maintain the high level of service our guests expect and deserve. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Warm regards,
econcierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Reading some of the low star reviews here makes my blood boil. This is a really nice hotel in a glorious locale with a staff that have a smile on their face every moment.
1/4/14 we checked in at noon and our room was ready. it was rainy and a real bummer but the woman behind the desk showed us the map of the bars, restaurants, game areas, lounges, etc. There is a daily newsletter delivered the night before as well to show you what the drink of the day is, what specials the restaurants have, and what nightly shows will be at Desires Lounge.Our room was the 4th foor of the pyramid and had a great view of the dolphin pool and the ocean.
The food was not the best food i've ever had, but there are people at this hotel from all parts of the world so they really need to make the food palatable for all people. The food at the buffet, esp the salad bar, was always really fresh and restocked immediately. The specialty restaurants were decent as well - always hot, served quickly and with a smile. Again, it didn't knock my socks off, but I didnt expect it to. And you can eat as much as you want - you dont like what you got at the Oceana grill- go to the Asian restaurant and try it out. There are no lines and service is so prompt. One night we got to the Oceana too close to closing (which is a very reasonable 11pm) and they were apologetic but reminded us that room service is 24hrs. we ordered a club sandwich and a burger and both were at our room within a half an hour, hot with all the trimmings. Breakfast was tremendous with so many choices including any freshly made omelette or eggs any style. Crepes too!
You can be on the beach and get drinks one after another. And they will bring your lunch as well (watch for the seagulls!). Fresh beach towels were available all the time. And to the guy who complained that towels should be 'signed out' so they are not left willy nilly - well, I'm sure people would complain about having to sign them out too.
The shows at night were really well above what i would expect. I thought it would be hotel staff doing a dance night or the kitchen help doing a talent show -but these were high caliber shows - esp. the fire show, the hypnotist and the breakdancers (amazing!). And this is all part of the all inclusive - and a waitress brings you drinks at the show. The entertainment hosts were very nice and tried hard to get everyone involved and having a good time.
There is a fresh water pool, so you can use their snorkel equipment to see some fish in there too. The 'regular' pool is small - but, HELLO, you have the Caribbean Sea a few yards away!
It did rain a bit, and there were some buckets around to catch some drips, but it didnt bother me.
There was one day when we waiting for the 'shopping shuttle' provided by the hotel(s) to come pick us up. But it was raining like crazy and the valet guy, after us waiting quit a bit, said we should give up. And on our first day the showers hot water was a bit dodgy. But..it is Mexico, after all. and sometimes you need to remember that and let a few things slide. The hotel staff are quick to try and rectify anything. The hot water was fixed with 10mins!
I guess at the end of the day if you are bothered by every little thing you should stay at the Ritz Carlton penthouse and have someone wipe your butt for you.
When i read the review "wah! one night of the week, new years night, we didnt get 'turn down' service. i had to call 3 times to get it" it really annoys me. Dear lord, you can't turn your own covers and put water next to your bed your damn self one night? jesus people.
But if you are ready to have a great time and let a few things, very few, slide - then this place will be just your cup of tea. Drinks and food everywhere you turn, friendly people ready to help you with everything, great shows, super clean rooms... who could ask for more?- well, obviously a lot of people, and for them, i say- stay somewhere more expensive.

Room Tip: I think the pyramid rooms facing the dolphins are the best views, esp. the higher up.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear alrightalex,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at our resort. We are happy to read that our employees made your trip so special. Their kindness and motivation is a valuable input giving an unforgettable memory and is the basis of a beautiful experience.

Your experience of the service to our guests is exactly what we are working for and we are very happy of receiving such appreciation of you. From the beginning till the end of your stay we want that you to feel welcome, that you enjoy our services and are pampered all the way.

Hopefully you will come back soon to refresh your memories. It would be a pleasure to be of any assistance for you to organize your next visit.

East Brunswick, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Taking into consideration I have been at multiple resorts before- I do have to say this resort was the worst I have been to. The staff is WONDERFUL! However, the pool is small, not enough lounge chairs, the entertainment team although they are super friendly, they did not create much of an engaging atmosphere and vibe. There were no fun games getting people involved, everything was all over the place. As for other places I have been to in Mexico such as Iberostar and Riu- they had awesome entertainment getting crowds involved throughout the entire day. Near the pool the music was so low, we asked them to raise it a bit and they said they couldn't, "this is not that type of party resort." That was a bit upsetting to hear considering we barely heard the music as it was. Going with a group of 4 couples ranging from 21-30 years old we were bored. The only thing going for this resort is their location to the clubs which saved us from boredom.

Room Tip: Ocean front- stay away from the stench of the dolphins and man made beach.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kmr720,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to our resort.

We sincerely apologize that you did not have a perfect stay at our hotel, and that we felt short of your expectations. We really appreciate your constructive comments which highlight specific areas that we need to rectify to improve our standards, and to reach for a perfect service.

Kind regards,

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My bride and I spent a 5 day honeymoon here in early October 2013, and we were not disappointed!
(With some exceptions noted below) The food was fantastic, the staff was friendly and helpful, the grounds were beautiful, and we had an overall wonderful experience.
About us: We are world travelers (40 countries and counting between us), but we don't usually do the all-inclusive thing. This was my 5th trip to Mexico but 1st to Cancun, and it was her 2nd trip to Cancun.
Food: Better than expected to be honest – here is our rundown on the different places to eat:
* The World Cafe is open for all meals and has a wide variety of very good food. They make a point to include local foods which is a nice touch.
* Coco Cafe was a Starbuck-esque place just off the lobby with quick service and yummy coffee and tea drinks.
* Hitmitsu had a great location and pretty good sushi/Japanese cuisine. I was a little disappointed in the tuna sashimi, but it was an overall good place with a great location right on the beach near the lighthouse.
* Oceana was a great lunch. We didn’t have dinner here, but lunch was very well prepared and the service was quick and pleasant.
* Seaside Grill. This was our favorite, and we ate several meals there. The steak is perfectly prepared and I can’t remember anything that wasn’t top notch at this location. The building is a large, open cabana – style building, and we very much enjoyed the atmosphere here!
* Room Service. Prompt, convenient and good. One breakfast and one lunch. We were not disappointed by any aspect of the room service.
* Paloma Bonita. Solidly good food. That said, it’s really pretty tacky. As a couple that really likes to get off the beaten path, we relish locally prepared food in an authentic environment. This was more a staged play with food than it was a dinner. If that is your thing, you will love it.
Alcohol: There were plenty of place to grab a drink here, and we were only disappointed by the swim up bar. Twice we got into the main pool and swam up to the bar to grab an afternoon beverage. And twice we waited about 10 minutes before leaving as there was literally no bar tender. I’m not saying he was busy with other customers, there was simply no bartender so we left.
There were several other bars, and they were all about normal for a bar. Sometimes you had to wait, but you always got your drink. Our favorite was Desires (We called it the “swinger’s bar” – you will get it after you have been there).
* Activities: The water is amazing, and we swam at both beaches. The pool is not huge, but well maintained and overall nice. We didn’t do the dolphin thing, but it was pretty awesome to walk past them many times a day or see them playing after sundown.
One of the reasons that we booked this particular hotel was that they had free Hobie cat sailboats you could use. When we went to the concierge and it was like they had never heard of such a thing. When I showed them the picture in the brochure, they started to make excuses about it being the off season. They finally told us to talk to the guy at the activities shack on the beach – the same place you get kayaks and varies other floating things from. The guy at the shack was friendly and asked us when we would like to have it. We had an hour limit, but we sailed in the harbor 2 different times, and it was one of the highlights of our trip.
Entertainment: Neither of us are really into this kind of thing, but we went to “Pirate Night” at the adjacent night club and “Fire Night” in the main area next to the lobby. Pirate night was just plain lame. We sat in there for a good half hour watching 3rd rate dancers and an M.C. that had no timing or had anything funny or entertaining to say. Remember that this is not our thing, but I give it a straight up thumbs down.
Fire Night was moderately fun to watch. Various people do stunts with things that are on fire. How can you go wrong with that?
Spa: my wife had a massage here and enjoyed it immensely. It took place in a little cabana over the water and she was fully satisfied with the experience.
Staff: Besides the aforementioned lack of understanding about the sailboats and swim up bar, we have only compliments about the entire staff.
Room: We stayed in the preferred tower which has its own bar, breakfast/snack station and a selection of better rooms. The view from the 6th floor was very nice, and we weren’t even half way up the tower. We had our own concierge which was moderately helpful. We walked by several of the standard rooms in the “Pyramid” and they looked like just regular or standard hotel rooms. The difference for half of them is that outside their balcony just a few feet away was a pool with a half dozen frolicking dolphins – which has to be pretty darn amazing for those who would want that.
Our maid(s) kept our room spic and span.
Maintenance: Upon check-in, we noted that something was loose in the bed and it didn’t sit right. We called the front desk and it was fixed before we got back from lunch. There was no other problems with the room.
Location: The resort is situated on the tip of a hammer shaped peninsula. There is an actual lighthouse on premises, and they have two separate beaches – both very nice. Again, not used to touristy experiences, we went to the open air market a 10 minute walk from the resort. They all have the same souvenirs and they all stand in front of their stalls telling you about how much better theirs is compared to the guy across the hall. We visited the only two places that didn’t harass us and bought our obligatory T-shirts and trinkets. We then hustled back to Dreams and stayed there until the end of our honeymoon. There are MANY clubs, bars, shops, etc. around the resort – it just wasn’t our thing.
Wifi: As much as I hate it, we needed to access the internet more than once on our honeymoon. I know, how lame is that? That said, we could only get enough signal when we stood by the door to our suite. I can only speak for the Jr. Suites in the tower, but it did slow us down a little when we wanted to Facetime our family or look something up on the Internet.
Overall it was an experience to remember. As I type this it has been 3 months yet I remember it like it was yesterday. The food was very good overall, the resort was lovely and the staff was helpful and friendly. We are not the kind of couple that tend to return to a places that we have already visited, but I would absolutely return here if I came back to Cancun, and I am more than interested in checking out other Dreams resorts.
Besides this review, we have personally recommended this resort to friends.
~Tom & Emily

Room Tip: Read the full review, but we were very happy with staying in the preferred tower.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tom_crab,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate your honeymoon and for writing a review about this experience.

We are very proud of our staff and believe they are the finest in Cancun. Your comments endorse this belief and are a great testimony to our team’s dedication and professionalism.

Please let me know when you will be back to our property and I will personally make sure that your next visit will be a perfect one. Your little paradise will be waiting for you.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Location was great. Unfortunately, the whole place needs updating. There were leaks everywhere when it rained. The staff seem tired and lacked patience, which resulted in not so great service. That being said, that may be be due to the fact that they're selling the place come April 2014.

Food was just average. Breakfast buffet was the most consistent. 24/7 room service was great, specially when you have children.

Anything outside of the all-inclusive plan is crazy expensive and you will probably feel ripped off.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DreamsEconcierge, Sales & Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear ASN777,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to our hotel
Sorry that you did not find our facilities to your expectations. Please be sure that the proper measures will be taken to prevent and avoid these unfortunate shortcomings and provide the level of service that our valuable guests expect and deserve.

Kind regards,

Bushey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This place is really lovely,the staff were so happy and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
The position of hotel was perfect only 20 mins from airport which was just far enough after a 10 hr flight from England.
The resort was very clean and comfortable,with everything you would need for a lovely relaxing holiday. There was plenty of choice of restaurants in the resort and food was very good..
It was wonderful having the dolphins on site,we swam with them which was amazing but also watching them every day was magical. The spa on site was also lovely as were the staff who worked there,we had a couple of treatments and really enjoyed the advantage of this being on site too.
The only negative for us was the weather,it was hot the whole time but unfortunately windy and rainy for quite a few days! This is when they need more things to do,when the weather is bad! But overall we had a great holiday and would definitely return and recommend our stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear AnnieRobBushey,

We appreciate you have taken the time to share our experience with us. Your comments encourage us to maintain the high level of service that our guests expect and deserve.
It was a pleasure to have you as a guest in our hotel and to pamper as much as we can! We feel very sorry that you had what weather during your stay.I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warms regards,

Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

In the way of background, my wife and I have spent our last 4 New Year's at Iberostar Cancun, Secrets Capri, Marriott San Juan, and Hong Kong. We live in a major metropolitan area. Overall it was clear that the main management at Dreams does not really care given the rumor from two patrons that the resort will be changing to a Hyatt in 2014.

Before divulging the truth, I would be remiss if I did not compliment Luis at the Japanese Restaurant, Antonio a bartender/ waiter, and Jackie, the chief Consierge who demonstrated great compentence and caring during out stay. The waiters and housekeepers were extremely nice. Beef dishes at Oceana were made exactly as requested and the Mexican restaurant experience was nice both times but basically reminded me of Chi Chi's. The main beach had water that was very swimable and green/ blue. Bartenders made good drinks in general and were super nice as was the sports hut on the beach. Attempts were made to correct may glitches. However, the resort fell short in general.

CHECK IN: the man taking out bags surprised us to let us know that our room would be ready early and inh 5 minutes. The woman at the front desk greated us at 12:10 saying that it would be only 40 minutes. Low and behold we got to our room at 2:45 and then waited 20 minutes more for our luggage to arrive. We also were told that we should see the VIP desk to get our 200 dollars of resort credit " sometime this week." Sadly, 200 dollars of resort credit were not credit but discount coupons requiring us to spend MORE to slight discounts when we spend at least 80 on a spa treatment, buy a bottle of wine or a small discount for an upgrade which were were refused to use. Basically a scam to make you think you were getting a true discount but were getting money discount if you spend more. D-

Room: we were supposed to get a Dolphin Lagoon Ocean View but were quite far from the Ocean and got a glimse of it from our room. There was no umbrella as there was supposed to be, no iron and generally clean but worn appearance to the room. One night there was no turndown service and when I called housekeeping was told that there was only one person doing turndown service Jan 1. We were upgraded the last two nights to a nicer suite with a interior door knob that almost fell off and one faucet of the two had only cold water working. Air conditioning was excellent but we all got sick at the first room likely from mold in the filter and recovered quickly when we kept the window open or moved to the second room. C

FOOD: very average and although breakfasts were adequate, their idea of variety was to move the OJ from one counter to the other etc. Liked the flavorful nature of the Japanese and Mexican restaurant. Interestingly at the Japanese restaurant, Chocolate creme brulee was chocolate pudding with no " burnt crisp" as the kitchen must not have had a torch. As above, waiters were nice and pretty much every dessert found at one restaurant would be found at one to two others. Seemed at times like one central kitchen distributed to many restaurants. The coffee cafe had some of the best desserts. C

HEARD DURING OUR STAY: a honeymoon couple was put in a regular room and two of their guests were put in a honeymoon suite

FRONT DESK: I asked for change one morning at 8:30 and was told that there would not be change until 2 PM

INQUIRY- asked to speak to a manager type person and was left in the lounge for 20 minutes and when I went back to ask how much longer, he hold me 5 more minutes and when no one came after 5 minutes I left

OVERALL: Given the competitive market out there and rumor that Dreams Cancun may be taking over, I can see no reason to stay here. Loved Iberostar Cancun and may try another island next year.

Beach: the one in front of the tower must have been 150 meters or more from the chairs to the water. They did not have people sign out the towels to the room and thus people just plopped towels where ever they cared and had not impetus to return them leaving many of the fair number of beach side beach chairs covered with towels all day despite some not being ever occupied. the water was very swimable and pretty. B-

GYM- horrible with old machines with high degree of friction and some nonfunctioning machines. 4/5 days I worked out in the AM there were no towels and never tissues. Two dirty mats were available and one flat balancing ball present. D

NEW YEARS EVE- miscommunication from the consierge's in advance let to miscommunication. I got there Dec 29th and immediately tried to sign up for two seats and the obligated bottle of wine. I was told that all the cheap bottles were gone and that I had to buy Dom Perione. MY wife is pregnant and I have a two year old girl. I had to get the manager to find a reasonable affordable bottle of champagne . Several nice couples were turned down New Year's Eve and voyed to never come back despite being repeat customers. C-

Overall, no reaon to go to this resort if you expect consistent quality. The management clearly is lacking despite the wonderful caring service people. Seeing that there are rumors that this will close in 2014, no reason to go to Dreams. We loved Iberostar Cancun.

Room Tip: NO advantage to tower. We liked 5th floor dolphin location less than 4 rooms to ocean side
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear RichieRichPhilly,

We are very thankful that you inform us about the problems you experienced upon arrival. Our ambition is to give our guests exceptional service from the beginning till the end of their stay. I will make sure that the information is shared with the corresponding departments of our resort and that the same will not come up again.

econcierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!