“Great Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
San Diego, California
“Great Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Dreams Cancun is not the best or nicest hotel in the Cancun hotel strip, however it is not as expensive either. This hotel is worth every penny of what it costs to stay there. The only reason it is not as nice as some of the others either is because it is one of the oldest and original properties in Cancun. Also, a lot of people have been complaining about how outdated the hotel is, but like I said it is one of the original properties in Cancun. The resort also recently updated the bed linens, paint in the rooms, installed new flat screen tvs in all of the rooms, and ipod docs in all of the preferred club rooms.

My partner and I stayed on the 11th floor of the Preferred club tower in a one bedroom suite and the room was phenomenal. The room was large with a large balcony with a 2 person hot tub. And the views were AMAZING. From every window in the room we could see the entire Cancun strip, as the property is at the northern point of the hotel zone before the land turns west and heads back towards downtown Cancun. There was also a large dining table with seating for four, which was very useful when we decided to order room service (all included).

The beaches were also beautiful, and this is where we spent the majority of the time. On the preferred club side there was a huge beach and from the lounge chairs it would take quite a walk to get down to the water. I know some people have been complaining about this as well, but who cares to get the exercise to walk down to the water? I didn't. The waves on this side were a little bit larger, which was fun because you could do some body surfing in the waves. The beach on the other side of the resort was smaller, but there were plenty of chairs and we never had trouble getting two. The water on this side was a lot calmer and we were even able to do some snorkeling and paddle boarding in the water on this side (all included with the resort). When snorkeling we saw some barracuda, and a couple of sting rays swimming in the water below - pretty cool!

The restaurants were all great. My personal favorites were Himitsu (Sushi/Asian) and Seaside Grill (Steaks and Seafood). Himitsu is right on the water, so while you are dining on the delicious food you are able to hear the waves crashing and feel the nice sea breeze. Seaside Grill is also outside on the other side of the hotel right on the beach. Seaside Grill is adults only at night and the service here is a little bit better than the rest. The portions of the food are the size that portions are supposed to be (smaller than what you get in the States) which some people may not like. At the same time, you can order as much as you want. There were nights where we would get two appetizers, two salads, two main courses, and three deserts just so we could try some of the different things on the menu. There was also a taco stand during the day by Oceana (one of the restraints) that had amazing chorizo tacos and an amazing habanero salsa to go on them.

As for drinks we got whatever we wanted. When we checked in we were immediately offered a beverage. While sitting in the preferred lounge or lounging on the beach there was ALWAYS someone coming around asking if they could bring you anything - and it was quick.

The service at any of the AM Resorts is always impeccable. I think that is how the staff is all trained, but it is a nice touch when you are trying to have a relaxing vacation.

The entertainment team was great. There were a few rainy days which was very unfortunate. We were sitting in the lobby playing board games and sipping cocktails, and Itzel from the entertainment team came over and started playing the game with us and chatting with us to make sure that we were still having a good time. For the rest of the week while we were there she would make a point to come over and ask us how we were and make sure that we were happy with our stay. She was great!

The dolphins are so cool to watch everyday as well. During the day or even at night they are always swimming around doing their thing which was really cool as this is something I have never really seen before.

Overall, I got everything that I was expecting from this resort if not more. The suite with the jacuzzi on the balcony was more than I was expecting and the views from the room of the hotel strip and the ocean was amazing. Service was excellent. Food and drinks were great. I don't have any complaints at all. We definitely think we got what we paid for if not even a little bit more in terms of the room.

Room Tip: Preferred Club is always the way to go at any AM Resorts property. The views are always better, the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DreamsEconcierge, Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Brando 714,

Thank you very much for your preference and for taking a few moments to write your review.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you very much for your gracious comments about our hotel services and associates. We are very proud of our staff and believe they are the finest in Cancun. Your comments endorse this belief and are a great testimony to our team’s dedication and professionalism. The sand which was missing due to wind and tides has been brought back by more favorable currents, and we are enjoying a beautiful white beach again.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Cancún, Q.Roo, México 77500

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I travelled to Mexico with my mother and two sisters in 2009. I doubt the high standard would have changed since then. It was an amazing hotel, with spa features, dolphins within the hotel and the option to swim with them at a worthwhile cost as well as food galore with the all-inclusive package. The weather is amazing and the fact that the hotel has its own private beach just adds to the heavenly experience of the hotel. I think this would be a gorgeous destination for a newlywed couple's honeymoon but as a teenager when i visited the hotel, it has something for everyone. Definitely worth looking up the hotel as it would be an amazing place to stay if you were to visit cancun:)

Room Tip: Obviously a room with the dolphins in front of you would be lovely but possibly noisy during the day...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Car_loves_the_sun_,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of our hotel.
We really wish to thank you for your complimentary comments about our hotel facilities and associates. Your appreciation is our motivation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Dreams Cancun soon.

Best regards,

Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I guess that no matter how wonderful a place is, there is going to be a certain percentage of people who will find all kinds of negativity and be more than willing to share their complaints in a public forum. When I read some of the less-than-positive reviews posted here, I was a bit apprehensive about this resort, but it is winter in NY and we were traveling with good friends, so we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.
From the moment we walked onto the premises, we felt sure that we had made a good decision, and for every one of the five days we spent there, our positive feelings just got stronger. The check in process was a breeze, and the people at the front desk were consistently friendly and helpful. The resort itself is beautiful, located at the end of the peninsula, so you are surrounded by water on three sides. We loved the beaches and the pools, and moved from one to the other all day long. Watching the dolphins was spectacular - so beautiful and entertaining. There are bars everywhere, and the drinks are really pretty good. The food was wonderful! Never had a complaint about any of the meals anywhere. It is true that the menus do not change, but there are enough choices on each menu to keep anyone happy: how can you complain about that? Also, there were often surprises offered during the day - paella one day for lunch at the pool bar, and a pirate themed night, offering many different dishes one night by the pool. Portions are appropriate (not oversized, like we usually have in the USA) and the presentation is lovely. I am not a fish eater usually, but I had the sea bass three nights in three different places, cooked three different ways - delicious!! The rooms are fine - never saw any of the wear and tear that others have mentioned. Spectacular view of the dolphin pool from our outdoor deck - watching them play is not a bad way to start your day. Within a very short walk from the resort are many clubs (loved Senor Frog's) and a flea market. There is a spa - a little pricey, but they do offer deals - that was fabulous. We all had massages and were treated like royalty while we were there.
So let me say something about the service here, because I think that this is where this resort really shines. Every single person with whom we had any contact was helpful and gracious - the standard response to any request was always "it is a pleasure." Normally, I feel a little guilty being served by people who are likely not making a lot of money, so I am always very careful to be respectful. Maybe that is the problem with those who complained about the service here - you get what you give. We tipped often enough, but it is not really expected. It seems like the right thing to do, however, when there are so many people working so hard to give you a good vacation. I will mention Clemente, from the World Cafe, and Allen, a bartender, who were especially friendly. The entertainment staff is really unbelievably attentive, talented and friendly. How do they remember everyone's names? Thank goodness they have name tags, because I am not as good at that as they were. Sending special thanks to Itzel, who was wonderful in the Grease performance; Benny, who is hilarious and gave a great water aerobics class; and Luis, who began our days with peaceful yoga. I wish I could name more people: this staff works their butts off all day long, always with a smile! We watched them set up all day for pirate night, and then clean up all night after it was done - everyone works so hard!
So without any reservations at all, all four of us very highly recommend this resort. This was a fabulous vacation and we would love to go back!

Room Tip: A room over the dolphin pool is what I recommend - upgrading to the tower puts you too far away from...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jojojp,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated as the help us improve both our service and our product.

We are pleased to read that you liked the pool, beaches, the restaurants and the service.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with others, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Dreams Cancun.

Warm Regards,

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just came back from spending a week at the Dreams and had a fantastic time. The food was incredible (I'm not sure how anyone could complain about it)! Most of the restaurants were open both for lunch and supper so we didn't go the buffet very often except for breakfast. I don't eat any seafood and I was always able to find something tasty on the menu at all of the restaurants. The most convenient thing we found was that you don't need to make reservations for the restaurants for either lunch or supper and they are never busy. We were always seated right away and never waited long for service. We tried the room service once for breakfast and once for supper and it was ok - not the best, but certainly still good.

The rooms are a little dated, but were always very clean (maid service twice a day) and our fridge was always full of drinks. We stayed in the preferred tower (it's worth it for the amazing view and you can fall asleep to the sound of waves every night). Our fridge was always stocked with water, pop, beer and juice. I would recommend the tower as it was always really quiet, the view was amazing and they always have snacks and drinks available in the lobby. The service for check in/out was also really good.

The entertainment every night was awesome - my favourite was the breakdancing and the hypnotist. Skip Fernando the magician, it says he's from Vegas, but that's doubtful. We also watched the mind reader and he was entertaining :)

The water is crystal clear, but if you're into snorkelling there isn't much to see off the beach. We went on two excursions - one to the reef - if you haven't done a lot of snorkelling it's pretty neat, but if you have done a lot of snorkelling I would probably pick a different excursion. We also went on the Tulum/Xe Hal tour. I would skip Tulum next time or plan to spend a day there. Basically you spend the morning in Tulum (but it's over a 2 hr drive to get there with the bus so you really only get just over an hour there) and we didn't get a guided tour. We got a quick explanation when we got to the map, but other than that we didn't get any other information. There isn't much information in the park once you're in so basically you're just looking at ruins. It would have been better to have a guided tour so you actually knew what things were. Maybe if you had more time it would be better? But I wouldn't recommend this combined tour. Xel Ha was awesome. The snorkelling was good - we saw a 4ft barracuda! Because we spent so much time in the Tulum portion of the trip we didn't have a lot of time to spend in the park. There were a lot of things to see and do there and I would definitely go back and spend a day there. Many of the activities cost extra money so bare that in mind. We didn't do any of the extras when we were there.

I saw a few posts from people saying they had items stolen while they were there. We didn't have any trouble with that at all and even left our camera laying our several times.

The area itself seemed pretty safe. We walked from Dreams to the luxury mall (Over an hour walk - a cab ride there is $10 US - next time I would take a cab) and we didn't have any trouble at all. There is a pretty substantial police presence everywhere and the people there really want to preserve the tourism. There is a much closer mall (about a 5 minute walk) as well as a flea market and a few bars.

The beaches themselves were quite nice, plenty of chairs to sit in and lots of shade. It was also great that you could chose to sit on either one of the beaches, by the lagoon or by the pools. I think the variety help keep everyone from clustering in the same places so nowhere ever seemed too busy.

The drink service was also quite prompt and the drinks were always good. We usually just asked the bartender to surprise us with drinks and we always ended up with something tasty. The swing bar was just in the evenings, we met a lot of people there, but it would be nice if it was open a little later- it closes at 11pm.

The staff are all really friendly and unlike a lot of resorts we've been to, they were always happy, helpful and friendly.

Overall the vacation was amazing and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you have kids go for the dolphin view otherwise I would stay in the tower. Listening to the ocean...
Dear Caylynw,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience regarding your recent visit to Dreams Cancun, and also for the good comments about our service and hotel facilities.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon to our hotel.

Kind regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This wasn't my first visit to Cancun just to let people know. I have stayed at the Sun Palace on 3 other vacations and decided to try a different resort. Big mistake! The entertainment staff did a fantastic job but that's where it ended. The room we booked didn't look like the one on the website and we had no hot water on two occasions. The restaurants were ok but nothing to be excited about considering the cost of the resort and children were grabbing and putting food back on the dessert trays and noone on the staff was stopping it. My wife wasn't too happy about the phone charges either. Beware if you buy a phone card and call from your room there will be a charge from the hotel for every call. The staff upon arrival need to tell people when they check in. Yes its in the book in your room but who ever reads that and they know that. On the phone in big bold red letters it said there were no service charges! The bars try and serve you the cheap stuff too. I was at one bar and ask for a jack and coke and they didn't have it. Hardly a top shelf item. Internet service? Yes for a hefty $80 for a week. If you want a good resort go to palace or better.

• Stayed February 2013
DreamsEconcierge, Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Wonderwoman87,

We are sorry to learn of your disappointment and that we were not able to fulfill your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and to be able to change this past experience.

Thunder Bay, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from a week at Dreams Cancun. The food and entertainment was good, but not outstanding. The room was in need of repairs as the bathroom had rusty fixtures and a loose doorknob. Bedding was satisfactory. No wi-fi unless you paid $10 for every 30 minutes. This resort has the potential to be really great if it would upgrade its bedding and pillows and do a little bit better on the maintenance. The place was clean and comfortable. OH and I did get shocked when I turned off the bedside lamp due to an exposed wire. . . .we will be looking for other accommodations for our next trip to cancun.

Dear ClaraM_2009,

It is a concern for us to know of your disappointment. Do believe every measure is been taken to correct any service issue in order to provide you the relaxing stay you have come to expect. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and to be able to change this past experience.

Zagreb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Everything at the resort was great especially the entertainment staff out of which we have to mention Argelia she made us feel like home other members of the team were great too. We would definitely like to come back here and I am sure we will.
Sergio the "omelet" guy is great too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lana L.,

We are delighted to know that to had enjoyed your stay with us. We are also pleased to know that Argelia and Sergio had contributed on making you feel welcome during your stay. It was a pleasure for all of us to be able to host you home. We look forward to welcoming soon.

Best regards,

Cancún, Q.Roo, México 77500

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!