“Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Montreal, Canada
“Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

everything was fine except the swimming pool is ridiculously small.
but for the rest no complaint.
location is central.
food was good.
I have to write 200 characters minimum!!!!!!! I have nothing else to say!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This all-inclusive hotel was nice. The food was good. The swim-up bar was awesome, we spent most of our time there. We did off-site para-sailing and that was pretty fun. We were a little scared to venture out, but there buses are real cheap ($1 typically, unless you go real far). Our room was pretty nice, a little outdated. There is a regular 4 story building (which we stayed in) and a 17 story VIP building that was like brand new that I wished we would've/could've stayed in. It was super nice. I would suggest only staying 5 nights we stayed 6 and towards the end everything was getting kind of boring. There is a hard rock cafe in a 5 minute walking distance, as well as a hooters. There is a margaritaville, bubba gump and outback steakhouse a little farther down the strip as well.

Room Tip: Get into that VIP building if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield.ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We returned tour mexican home for 12 nights beginning Nov.29th.This was our 7th trip to Dreams Cancun.Our first one was in April 2009. We had such a great experience,that we have been returning to Dreams at least once sometimes twice a year.
First of all I would like to thank Mr. Alex De Brouwer the General Manager his staff and all of the employees for continuing to keeping Dreams a top notch family resort . All of the employees as usua lwere friendly and hospitable.We are so comfortable here that we consider it our home away from home.We will be returning to Dreams to be with our Mexican family at least once a year as long as we are able.personally I do get a little upset when I read some of the terrible reviews .However,I know everyone has their own opinions and that problems do occur.However,I always found the staff to be very accommodating and willing to solve any issue . The staff works very hard to maintain the hotel and they are currently in the process of redoing the rooms.The room we always stay in was redone before we arrived and they did a wonderful job with the makeover.There is very little turnover of staff and all of the employees appear to enjoy working there,because of the atmosphere created by the management staff.
In conclusion in my opinionif you want your dream vacation -- Dreams Cancun is the place for you --.There is a detailed review of Dreams that I wrote on Trip Advisor in May 2012. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this resort."Dreams Cancun is our home away from home". Thanks again to Mr. Alex and his wonderful staff and all of the employees for taking care of our home.

Room Tip: `The oceanside of the pyramid has sun in the morning bot is nice and shady in the afternoon
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The entertainment team will keep you happy and busy!!! You'll start your morning with yoga, Zumba and/or dance classes; Luis, Argelia and Itzel will take care of you! In the afternoon they'll entertain you with more activities (volley, aerobics, ping pong). At night, the team doesn't go to sleep but they organize shows (fire show, magic show, musical show) and they'll take you around the city if you want to go out (how cool is that?? go out with Adrian, Itzel or Benito). You'll have a great time!!

The hotel was always clean and the staff was always ready to serve us!. So, just call the front desk =)

Now, this is the big thing..if traveling with kids...your kids will have a vacation from you!! The explorers club is the best secret ever!!! the girls in charge are lovely, attentive and the kids just love to be there!!! Great Job Felicia, Janet, Rosi and Selene!!!!

Great food! Great place to go!

The Negative side...don't get a manicure there (too expensive and was not well done, sorry!!)

Room Tip: Choose the Dolphins' side...they are just awesome to wake up with!
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I couldn't decide if I wanted to book my 9 and 11 year olds pick of Dreams or my pick of Iberostar. Similar prices (Ibero is a little more) so we booked 3 nights at Dreams and 3 at Ibero. Here is the Dreams review. First, every trip to Cancun should avoid the buses and book round trip transfers with USA-transfer.com. Two 5 star experiences with them. $65 gets you right to your resort in the hotel zone, a little more to the southern towns. Worth it!
Dreams Cancun arrival. Pleasant enough clerk, no wait. Sent us to our dolphin and ocean view room......one king bed for 4 of us. We walked back and told him this wouldn't work, I booked two double beds. He said this was all they have. What, are you kidding? He finally said he would send up a cot, gee thanks. It actually worked out OK since we own a fishing cabin and our kids are used to, sort of, roughing it. But, this was really unacceptable when spending $410 per person per night.
By the time we got the cot and extra towel, it was past dinner and we really needed food badly, especially the kids. We waited and waited and the buffet never opened. Finally the front desk told us it was closed tonight for a special event and we would find it by going down the steps and to the right (the exact opposite of where it was). No staff member we asked seemed able to give directions. It should be noted that I had 5 years of Spanish (30 years ago) and my husband minored in it (college).
This is our 8th or ninth all inclusive and we often go with a group of adults, so consider the source. The food was blah, but not awful. We were just all (even the kids) tired of it after only 3 days. Wait staff not as outgoing as we are used to at higher end, adult only resorts except the bartender in the lobby. Best restaurant is Hamitsu, great atmosphere, but don't expect sushi like you get at in a metropolitan area in the states. I bet the chefs are good, but they are only given a limited amount to work with.Every thing was sort of a cheap California role. Sort of to be expected at a kids AI resort. But, we were told we could make a reservation if we buy a bottle of wine, so if you plan to anyway........
All restaurants are first come, first serve, no reservations.
The World Cafe is always extemely hot. It is neat to be inside with real palm trees, but the glass ceiling makes it like a terarium. They have a smoothie bar at breakfast but no menu, so no one used her. Even with my Spanish, I didn't know how/what to order.
There is an adult only restaurant at night, kids allowed at lunch. This was my husband's favorite lunch. It was called Seaside, I think. Probably would have great dinners there.
I must say that I loved our room other than the bed situation. Everyone I walked by seemed very updated. We couldn't imagine that the Club rooms were as good as ours. We loved being over the dolphins, although I don't like that they are breeding them in captivity. Poor creatures don't know any better and were very sweet and seemed to look forward to playing with the trainers and paying customers each morning. All rooms seemed to have an ocean view EXCEPT the "second floor" on the ocean view only side, which is really the main walk out level on the ocean view side of the pyramid. 1/2 of these are blocked by trees, ground or "ruins" on the walk out (2nd floor). So make sure you are on floor 3-5 of the pyramid if you want to see the ocean on the ocean view side and probably floors 2 or 3 through 5 on the dolphin/ocean side of the pyramid. I hope that makes sense. Do not fear all the old reviews about old outdated rooms, everything looked very nice and new to me.
We did have a drippy shower that I noticed at night, so we closed the door, problem solved.....and there were two cool/cold showers. Oh well. Things like that are not a BIG DEAL. I can't imagine how people complain about things like a light bulb!
The beach was really great for kids, few waves. The trampoline is not really a tramp, you don't bounce much, but kids like to hang out there some.
Water sports. We booked parasail and they ferried us out on ski-doos, but WAY too early. There were 8 people waiting on the boat so we were there well over an hour on a very windy day. Made no sense. The snorkeling was worse. I have read about this company and it is true. They make you stay together, which is fine, but why keep telling us come "over here", when "over here" is on top of sand and all the fish and over 30 feet away at the reef? Stupid, but it was only about $30.
On tipping. Depending on service, we tend to tip $1-$2 at breakfast. $2-$3 at lunch. $3-5 at dinner. We give bartenders random tips. $2-$3 for the maid. I tipped the parasail guys $5 for each of us. My husband tipped the snorkel guys a few, I wouldn't have. I saw no one else tip at this resort. There were less than 50% Americans. I don't know why, but other nationalities seemed to never tip, especially the parasail, etc. I found it odd. The bartenders were happy to see me and made my kids a hundres strawberry daquiries.
House wine, undrinkable, but the mojitos were great.
Activity leaders were really nice. The "shows" were awful, except the hypnotist that they brought in one night from Las Vegas.

Strangely, there are NO wristbands nor towel cards at Dreams. We appreciated that. I would give Dreams 3.5 stars if I could.
To wrap this up, we were happy to move to the next resort - Iberostar Cancun. I will review that next.
I also want to mention that Dreams is next to Fiesta Americana and I always wondered about it. We walked it and it was a fabulous pool. The lunch menus looked reasonable, but breakfast buffett was $32 per person! Yikes.
Took a cab to Iberostar so we could shop on the way. He took us to shops with parking lots which were not the best choices for what we wanted. Our mistake in hiring him. I will call USA transfers next time.

Room Tip: Skip the "club". Stay in the pyramid, floors 3-5. Ocean view only for quiet, dolphin vie...
Saint Joseph, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my first all inclusive trip. The staff at Dreams were amazing. They really did make you feel at home. Our flight out was a disaster and we arrive 12 hours later than expected. Because of hurricane Sandy, other occupants couldnt leave, so our orginal room was booked. The resort upgrded us to the tower. The tower room we had the first two nights was beautiful and had a breathtaking view.
My husband and I went with our 5 year old son and another couple and their 6 year old daughter. The Explorers Club staff made us feel comfortable with our kids joining them for activities. Our kids begged to go and hang out with them. The 4:00pm kids trampline bungee was a huge hit!
Guillermo, our waiter at the Himitsu, provided the most attentive and friendly service. The entertainment staff was a lot of fun too. Everynight there was some kind of show which was a lot of fun to attend as a family.

Room Tip: The tower rooms are amazing! We also had a dolphin view room, which was relaxing to sit and watch t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Union, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for my brother's destination wedding. He and his bride were married on the property and it was lovely.

The hotel was just ok. Upon our arrival, the wait was very long to check in for some of our party. Granted, we did have a large group, but the hotel had been overbooked during our stay and there were lots of people waiting patiently in a long line to check in. And when we arrived there was only one desk attendant. She did call for backup assistance eventually. The wedding couple's (my brother and his fiance') room had been given to another guest. Mind you, they were paying a LOT of $$$ for their wedding/reception and an upgraded room (honeymoon suite) at this property and had been working very closely with the hotel and wedding staff to make sure there weren't any hiccups during the trip. After traveling all day to get there, they were extremely frustrated and the bride was pissed, rightfully so. The hotel staff did offer two alternatives....they could be placed in a room that was below what they'd paid for (kicking out another guest I guess) or have the penthouse suite for the entire week with no extra charge. This was nice..however, the father of the bride's room had also been overbooked and given away, so they told her with the penthouse suite, her DAD and younger sister would have to share the suite with them until more rooms were available. WTF?! I don't know of any bride/groom who wants to share their wedding suite with their parent. Anyways, it all worked out but needless to say it was a very stressful situation that should never have happened. I have no clue where father of the bride stayed on the wedding night.

In regards to our room, hubby and I arrived in our room to find sand all over our floor, like it hadn't been swept. And two of the bathroom lights were burned out. Housekeeping did come sweep the floor right away but the lights were not changed until one morning I was getting ready and the last light burned out in the bathroom. Another couple with our group had an air conditioner that never got cold. Mind you, it was the latter part of July!! Hot and humid. They After a full day, they got moved to another room. The bed in our room was comfortable and the in-room coffeemaker was great. I loved the robe/slippers. We also had room service a couple of times which was so wonderful.

For the amount we spent, I guess I expected more. I had heard so many wonderful things about the Dreams brand and specifically about this resort. This was our first all inclusive vacation. The food was mediocre and the bar drinks were watered down. The mango smoothies from the coffee/smoothie shack are a MUST! A couple of the restaurants had weird hours that were inconvenient so we wound up eating at one restaurant several times. The mexican restaurant next to the property was delicious and fun. You have to make reservations for dinner but this was no big deal.

We didn't have time to participate in any of the staff led events like Zumba or volleyball so I can't comment on them, other than to say the people we saw participating looked like the were having fun. The dolphins on the property are fun to watch for sure and seemed to be a highlight for everyone.

All in all we were glad to get away on a vacation but given the chance to do all inclusive again and it be our choice, we would choose a different property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!