“Average outdated hotel...great for kids” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Rockford, IL
“Average outdated hotel...great for kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Family returned from the Dreams Resort in Cancun 2 days ago. We traveled there for a family wedding. The hotel itself is in disrepair. The rooms are very outdated and one of the families we traveled with awoke one night to find their roof leaking. We stayed in the tower which gives you access to the "preferred club". This includes a private infinity pool, private bar with "top shelf liquor", free wifi (good luck getting it to work anywhere), and a private breakfast bar with snacks and desserts set out throughout the day. We traveled with our two kids (8 y/o daughter and 10 month old son) so we did not experience much of the entertainment team that everyone raves about. My daughter did go to the explorer's club (kid care with multiple activities) on several occasions. She loved it. She also loved the swimming with the dolphins experience offered right at the hotel. Be prepared to pay a substantial fee for the this experience and then about $20/picture. But the memories she made are well worth the expense. There is one fairly small swimming pool for the whole resort unless you upgrade to the tower with the preferred club and private infinity pool. There are 2 beaches on the property. The first located near the Japanese restaurant is pretty rocky and weedy. The second located near the preferred club is one of the best I've ever been to. Beautiful clean sand and water, free of rocks and weeds. As far as the food goes...aside from the breakfasts which were fantastic the lunches and dinners at the World Cafe (buffet) were just ok. We ate lunch at the Oceana restaurant one day and my Mahi Mahi was raw. We attempted to make reservations at Paloma Bonita the night of the wedding and were told they were completely booked and could make no exceptions...we went there at 6:30 anyway and convinced them to seat us. We were the ONLY people there from the time we arrived until we left 2 hours later!! Extremely dissapointed with the staff's lack of accomodation. To add insult to injury the food was just ok. This is supposed to be their "premier" restaurant...the only one that requires reservations. You would expect to be able to get a great mexican cuisine meal in Cancun and their only mexican restaurant left much to be desired. The best restaurant hands down is the Japanese restaurant. Another complaint regarding the restaurants is that they state on their website and when you arrive at the hotel that all restaurants require men to wear long pants, button down dress shirts, and closed toed shoes. Kind of makes for an unpleasant experience when all the restaurants are outdoors and the temperatures remain in the high 80's at night. No one appears to follow these rules however so pack whatever you want to be comfortable. The spa is fantastic...some of the best massages I have ever received! I know this is a seperate issue but Apple really dropped the ball for us. The airport had no confirmation that my son was to be traveling with us. Irma at the resort tries to sell you on a large variety of excursions and apparently is either under-educated on them or simply tells you what you want to hear to get you to buy the excursions. We told her we wanted to take a trip that wouldn't take up the whole day. She sold us on Xel'ha by telling us the travel time was 45min to the excursion and lasts only 4 hours. The travel time was 90 min both ways and lasted a total of 12 hours!! I have to say however that the "preferred club" makes the trip! Pedro, the bartender in the private bar, is fantastic! The best service I think I have ever received. He made sure we always had drinks and would send someone to get us food and deliver it to the private pool. He even made the trip himself one day AFTER his shift was complete!! All in all, Dreams Cancun is a nice destination if you are looking for a family friendly resort with beautiful views and beaches. If you are looking for nice pools, fancy rooms, and great food you may want to keep looking.

Room Tip: If you do travel here be sure to get a room in the tower. The access to the preferred club and priv...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DreamsEconcierge, Econcierge & Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience in our property, it is very important for us to know the opinions of our guests, so we have the opportunity to take immediate actions to improve our services.

We are pleased to hear that your family had a chance to experience a variety of our available amenities, including the Explorer’s Club and Spa service.

I feel sorry about the misunderstanding regarding the Xel-ha excursion´s times.

I am honored to let you know that we are in the process of our room’s renovation. This action based in all comments and suggestions made for our guests. I would love you be able to see our renovation once it has been done.

Once again we thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and we sincerely hope that we have the chance to welcome you back here with us in the future so that we may demonstrate to you the high levels of service that we are known for.

Best regards.

Diana Saucedo
Social Media Coordinator
econcierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have travelled around the world africa, asia, australia, Europe and the U.S. I travelled to Dreams Cancun with my wife for her birthday with my two girls aged 5 and six. The resort has the best location in Cancun as it is surrounded on three sides by water.It is a tropical paradise. The trip was incredible. The beach was clean and the sand felt like talcum powder. The water was clear and had a beautiful turqoise color. The staff were polite and hard working. Although it is an all inclusive resort I was so impressed with the service that I tipped at every meal 20-40 pesos 2$ to 4$. I also tipped the bartender 10 pesos almost 1$. The mexican workers make about $50 a month I would guess and they appreciated the extra money. The food was outstanding and included filet mignon, steaks, seafod, asian, sushi etc. The deserts were great. Unfortunately I gained 4 pounds in one week because I ate too much. My girls loved the kids camp and we felt like singles again. The entertainment was good and included nightly music, disco etc. The prices for the resort and the overall value was excellent. It was ridiculously cheap and we enjoyed it better then a cruise where you have only a limited time in port. If you are stressed out and want to relax or have an active vacation diving etc. this is a great vacation. There were no problems with safety in and around cancun and we rented a car for $100 for the week to see the temples. Then we travelled to Dreams Tulum for three days which was also a great resort. We loved this trip even though we live on the water by the beach. Eric Stupel, Esq. Miami Beach Florida

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tower which had an incredible view of the entire Cancun Coast
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I been to Dreams 8 times and Cancun 14 times overall, I still love it at Dreams & in Cancun! From the minute I walk in the door the staff treated me like family and took very good care of me throughout the week. I would like to thank the staff at Dreams for an awesome an fun filled week. i have alot of people to thank starting with Diana the E-Concierge from Dreams for the Upgrade to the Tower and the Bottle of Tequila and Cake to Celebrate my Birthday. I had a blast all day every day from start to finish with the Entertainment Team: (Manuel,Luis, Adrian, Kayla, Emily, Argelia, Itzel,& Benny) These guys and girls always make my trip a memorable one and Im sure they will do the same for anyone there. We played games throughout the day and partied throughout the night at different Nightclubs throughout Cancun. The staff works very hard and are very friendly and go above and beyond to serve you. Some of the bartenders and waiters who stand out above the rest and they are my favorites so be sure to find Jorge and Alberto who work near the pool they make the best drinks and best service, also be sure to see my girl Marcela at the Lobby bar she generally works at night she will provide very good service as well. I understand that this is an All-Inclusive Resort, but Please make sure to TIP your Bartenders and Servers a Dollar will go a long way! Over-all it seems like some of the food had gotten better from previous trips to the resort but all in all theres always a place to find a decent meal. Beside the Buffet one of my Favorite Restaurants is Himitsu for sushi & Japanese cuisine I must acknowledge Eladio for his outstanding service and overall hospitality.The resort is in a prime location and is only a 5 minute walk to all the night clubs, flea markets, shopping malls etc. Contrary to what you have heard Cancun is Safe to walk around in whether you are alone or with a group of people I personally have Never had a problem and I have been to Cancun many times and I will continue to go there. I enjoy coming to Dreams Resort and Spa & I will continue to "come back" because this place never gets old! I had a great week with the staff of Dreams and met many new people and friends and I cant wait til next year to come back "HOME"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I honestly cannot think of one bad thing to say. We are already planning our return to Dreams Cancun next fall. The location is great. There is water all around you. The hotel is beautiful! There are good choices for food and an opportunity for a drink at every corner! We had originally planned a few excursions away from the hotel during our stay. We ended up not going on a single excursion aside from swimming with the dolphins. We had so much fun right at the resort that there was no need to leave. The entertainment crew was fabulous! They were all so full of energy and so much fun to be with. We spent many days at the pool because there was so much going on there. We went to Cancun for my sisters 50th birthday. Thanks to the entertainment crew, it was a birthday she will NEVER forget. The entertainment crew quickly became like family to us and I am sure it helps that they were all up for crazy fun, just like us. Emily, Kayla, Mamacita, Manuel, Itzel and Benny (sorry, there are a few whose names I can't recall) all made our vacation soooo much more fun and we will be returning to Dreams to see them and have more fun!! The bartenders were also great! Antonio quickly learned our favorite drinks and would have them ready for us by the time we swam to the bar. Oh, and the beds are amazingly comfortable!! I want one just like the one we had there!

Room Tip: Not sure, we were 14th floor and loved it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Big Thanks to MaMa Sita (forgot her name, but that what I call her) , Loise, and keyla.

MaMa sita show a big spirit toward other and show dedication to her job, that make everyone in the resort feel welcome. She will approach to other people and make sure other people have good time in the resort, She came up to me and ask if I want to play volleyball, well that how I meet MaMa sita for the first time. When I was in the fire show, MaMA Sita saw me and say "HI!!". I was surprise she still remember me, mostly people don't remember who I am, or maybe she remember me because I'm the worst player in the volleyball team lol.

Loise show encouragement, even though I suck in volleyball he will make sure I never left be hide and make sure I have a good time. There one night me and my friends have nothing to do, so we end up to the pub try to have a good time. We have bump up with Loise and he told us about the club that he going to and ask us if we wanted to join, so we did, and we have a fun time.

Keyla, from Vancouver like me and my friends. We so happy to find someone from the same country, Provence, and city. Keyla is so friendly and we have a good conversation, even though I'm a pretty shy guy toward pretty girl like Keyla (HaHa.. I have to Amitie that LOL). When it was our final night in Cancun, she show emotion (sad) to say good bye to us. "Hope she come back to Vancouver so I could ask her out. wink ;) "

So that my big thanks!! Keep up the good work guys.... and girls lol and hope to see you all again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I would not recommend this property in anyway. This property needs a major renovation and is not up to Dreams property standards! If you are looking for JUST the party, then I would recommend it. If you are looking for luxury, skip this and go down to Dreams Riviera Cancun. The room in the "Preferred Club" was like 1980's Myrtle Beach or worse. Terrible. Bathroom was in horrible condition, very old, not renovated, etc. Do not upgrade to Preffered at this property, you get NOTHING for your money. The Preferred Club is actually a further walk from everything, older (in the tower) and the beach it's on is unuseable in my opinion.
It did have a nice night club attached. The Dolphin thing was cool but not enough to stay there. Take my advice, pick another property and enjoy.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to Preferred Tower.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamsEconcierge, Econcierge & Social Media Coordinator at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us here on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear that your expectations were not met during your stay here with us.

Our rooms, furniture and accents are mature and give a charming character to our resort, compared to some of the more modern resorts

However we are constantly improving and investing them, that is why I feel so proud to let you know that now we are in the process of our room’s renovation. This action based in all comments and suggestions made for our guests. I would love you be able to see our renovation once it has been done.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and change the poor perception you seen to have.

Best regards,

Diana Saucedo
Social Media Coordinator
econcierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I came home yesterday from our one week honeymoon at the dreams resort in cancun. All inclusive is the way to go! The staff is paid less than minimum wage and most are working all day and all night 6 days a week,but they all manage to stay friendly and up beat! so dont forget to take care of them! TIPS! We had an ocean view room in the pyramid building which was nice because we could relax and shut out the party if we wished. although the dolphin side had a great view, the pool was always alive with music and entertainment, so it was nice to just enjoy our peaceful ocean view at times. we didnt venture away from the resort often, only to shop. we went to the flea markets which our walking distance and it was a litle over whelming.. there are maybe 50 stands and 50 people almost harrassing you to come in their store and buy something, they can get pretty ruthless. and remember to haggle! they start high and end up at almost 75% off in some cases. but most were very rude. so you need to just keep walking and look straight and shake your head no cuz if you give the slightest bit of interest your trapped lol.. there is a shopping mall pretty much directly across the street from the flea market and about the same prices, cheaper in some cases, with no pressure. Before our trip to mexico, which this was our first time, we were warned how dangerous it was, stay on the resort and dont drink the water or eat the salad... we broke all those rules.. i never felt in danger leaving the resort, just lots of people trying to sell you something, the hotel filters the water and i drank it everyday. and the salads were delicious. The resort has a buffett whcih i was pleased with, you could order your eggs up for breakfast to your liking, the oceana restaurant was decent, the portions were really small so dont be afraid to order two meals. the seaside grill wasnt a great food experience for us but we had heard other people enjoyed their meals. but the best was the japanese restaurant. go figure! the dreams sushi was amazing! and our waiter Luis was on top of it! he made sure our steak wasnt over cooked and kept our drinks topped off. we didnt make it to the mexican restaurant, you needed reservations and we failed to make any of them. but we had a mexican fieasta night with dancng and entertainment and the food was authentic and excellent! TIME TO GIVE IT UP TO THE ENTERTAINMENT TEAM!!! forgive me guys if i forget any of your names.. ITZEL, BENNY, EMILY, KAYLA, MANUEL, MINI ME, MAMACITA, AND ANOTHER ENTERTAINMENT GUY THAT HIS NAME SLIPS MY MIND. YOU ALL MADE THE EXPERIENCE SO MUCH FUN, AND WILL BE A HUGE REASON FOR US TO RETURN TO THE RESORT!!. ALL VERY PERSONABLE, ALWAYS UP BEAT AND MAKIG US LAUGH! we played crazy games like bull riding for one example. Benny was so funny, very animated, Itzel was the same way, always makig sure we were involved. very personable.. emily and kayla were sweethearts and full of energy, mini me hosted all the events, break dancing, mexican fieasta.. he was very funny. everyone did such a great job and we hope to see them all when we return! sorry if i forgot any of you!! xoxo! OK SO LETS GET TO THE DIRT...our room was nice but humid sometimes. our air wouldnt go below75 but we didnt spend much time in the room so it wasnt a big deal, but bed time was like cold sweats from feelng sticky with humidity and the air attempting to do its job, people we met did not have the same problem. ALSO they are renovating which in itself is awesome BUT our room was 4 floors above... and the paint thinner fumes at night were cutting off my air supply, but we stuck it out cuz we only had a few days left and didnt want to pack up and switch rooms. ALSO the property is all open so anywhere you walk the weather follows, and things got very slippery,, they were constantly woking to squeegy the floors dry but i almost fell, so did my huband and we wittnessed some people fall. so walk carefully. the bay side of the hotel has beautiful sand, calm clear waters and some activieties, and the ocean sides was equally beautiful. sand had a lot of broken shells and such so some sort of shoe is recommened. there are iguanas that hang out on the ocean side and they like bananas lol. i think thats all i can think of, the burgers were great, the 24 hour room service was great the staff was great! just watch your step. lots of steps without warning, i banged up my knee pretty bad, had stubbed quite a few toes!! but be loved it, the poeple we met and the entertainment team made it all worth it! see you next year!!!

Room Tip: be sure your air conditioner pumps out cold air to keep the humidity at bay. and do ocean side if yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!