“Dreams used to be dream” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
Los Angeles, California
“Dreams used to be dream”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed in Dreams three time for the past four years but the last time was a very bad experince. First we had problem with the room key that didn't work. It took me four visits to the front desk to fix the problem. there was a leak in the bathroom so I have to change my room the next day of our arrival. TV and the DVD didnt work and of course we were the one to blame as if we did something to break them. my friend and his wife had the same problem with the TV and DVD, and my friend almost got electrfied in the shower because the whole shower light came off. the door to the balcony was hard to open and hard to close. The major problem is that anything went wrong in the room it was because of us, and the crew will tell you that right into of your face. the food was great and the the beach is very nice. I would love to go back, but in one condition, if Dreams went through a major remodeling to the rooms.

Room Tip: rooms with the ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
Mount Pleasant, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 4 day stay at Dreams Cancun. Let me start by saying that we had a great experience at Dreams despite the rough start to our first vacation in over 7 years. Karen and I decided that we needed to get away from the twins and the hectic lifestyle that most have come to know as normal. We booked the trip (via Expedia) fairly last minute once gramma agreed to take the kids skiing for a few days and we off. I also booked a dolphin swim and a zip line tour (Selvatica) through Expedia which I won't do again. Upon arriving in Cancun we were greeted by a torrential down pour and a runway that looked like a river. We waited quite a while on the runway for all the backed up flights to clear (because of the weather) before we finally disembarked. We were told by the flight attendants and the overhead monitors that our bags would be on carousel number 3 but after about 20 minutes of waiting we discovered that our soaking we luggage was actually over on carousel number 6. We went over to the remaining luggage that had been pulled off by the staff to find that we were one bag short. After about a half hour at the American Airlines customer service desk we figured that someone had picked up the wrong bag so off we went to the hotel with none of my wife's clothes and no toiletries.
After you go through Mexican customs DO NOT STOP IN THE LOBBY!! Do not talk to or make eye contact with anyone till you get out the door. They are all time share people that you do not want to deal with. Any transportation people will be outside. We were met outside by the Best Day travel representative (some young kid holding a sign) and politely directed which stand to go to. The next representative took our hotel travel voucher and the driver loaded our bags onto the van and off we went. The one problem we had was that the Best Day agent did not know anything about our vouchers for our Dolphin swim or our Zip Line booking. It said on our voucher that we were to give the voucher to the representative so we just held on to them hoping someone at the hotel could help us.
Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and our concierge Pepe was fantastico. The first thing he did was call American Airlines to check on our bag but they were still unable to contact the person they believed picked up our bag. He directed us to the nearest/cheapest place to purchase some toiletries so we took our one bag to our room, hung my clothes up to dry and we were off in the mild hurricane force winds to get a toothbrush and some deodorant. We wondered around the mall a bit and found a very nice bikini for my wife to wear the next day in case the luggage didn't show up but to our great delight when we returned to our room a few hours later our bag was sitting there waiting for us. Woohoo!!!
The next day we both Selvatica (Zip Line) and Delphinus (the dolphin swim people) to find out about our reservations but both places told us (in broken English) that they had no information from Expedia about us and that we would have to phone Expedia. I wasn't too happy having to try to deal with this so I went down to see Pepe to see what he suggested and he happily called both locations to talk to them further and talk to a manager and write down names of who he spoke to. He informed us that neither company had our information and that we would definitely be able to get our money back by calling Expedia when we returned home. Quick jump to the future... we have received a full refund from Expedia on our bookings.
One thing we didn't know is that our Dolphin swim was not booked at Dreams Delphinus it was booked at Wet n' Wild Delphinus so with Pepe and Manuel's help we rebooked our Dolphin swim and our Selvatica Zip Line adventure at a decent rate and finally our vacation was back on track.
Now on to the food. We had breakfast and lunch at the World Cafe buffet and found everything to be very good. The variety was excellent and as with most buffets the temperature of the food was cool to average although on our first morning the breakfast buffet was hot. The wait staff was excellent!! Always attentive and friendly. The a la carte restaurants had a range of food from the fancy to the more plain (my style). Since I'm a meat and potatos/hamburg and fries type of guy that suited me fine. The all inclusive part was fantastic. No bracelets or signing of any kind. Just walk up to the bar and order a drink. No problem!!
I found the rooms to be great. Some I've read found them to be outdated but our overlooking the dolphin pool was very clean and not run down looking at all.
We talked to a few people with kids that said the kids club was amazing. Most of their kids didn't even want to eat or swim with the parents because they were having so much fun with their new found friends. Two couples that travel more than us had mentioned that this was one of the better resorts overall that they had stayed at.
Last but not least is the entertainment staff. They do a great job at trying to get as many people involved in things as they can. It's hard sometimes especially when the resort isn't at capacity. We learned how to make a real homemade guacamole dip. This is NOT what they make in Canada cause I don't like guacamole dip and I loved the recipe that Mini-Me and the other staff made.
Will we repeat? YES!!! The next time we are in Cancun we will be staying at Dreams.
Negatives - I wish the internet was included at $16 per day or about $80 per week it's too expensive. Also the picture/DVD package for the dolphin swim was WAY too expensive. Almost 3x that of Selvatica's.
On a side note you can also see my wonderful review of Selvatica for those who want to do a Zip Line tour.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamsEconcierge, Nadia Gouveia, E Concierge & Social Media at Hyatt Ziva Cancun, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for going out of your way to write this review about your stay at our resort.

I am thrilled that you had an excellent stay and that you found our staff to be very helpful. I am pleased that the concierge team was able to accommodate your needs. It sounds as if you enjoyed the experience of no bracelets. I will pass along your comments regarding the cooking classes. We appreciate all of your wonderful comments regarding the resort and staff. Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. We hope to have you back to our property in the future!

With my kindest regards,

econcierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Highly recommend! Hotel right on the beach, has swim up bar in the pool, and dolphins on site. Food and drink was great and the staff is very helpful and friendly. No complaints at all.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 5th floor with an ocean view and it was beautiful
Dear Guest,

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back in the future!

Kind regards,

econcierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com
Norwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We returned to Dreams last week for our honeymoon, after having vacationed there last year. Both times were equally as wonderful. As people have previously stated, it really isn't the most up-to-date place, but if that is the worst of their worries I'd say they are doing things right. The location is top notch: surrounded by water on three sides, far enough away from the main strip to be quiet, yet close enough to walk to all the local nightlife and shopping. The staff are all fabulous and go above and beyond to ensure the happiness of their guests. From the servers to the housekeeping staff, all your needs will be met with a smile and an "its my pleasure". The grounds are immaculate- there always seems to be someone cleaning up any trash that patrons have left behind or sweeping the walkways. The quality of food is generally very good. World Cafe does leave something to be desired for lunch and dinner, but there are three other restaurants to chose from, so this isn't really a big concern. Entertainment staff are always hard at work getting guests involved in various activities both day and night.

For this particular trip, we were greeted with a banner on our door, and a chilled bottle of champagne and fruit tray waiting for us with a nice card wishing us a happy honeymoon and welcoming us home again. We will definitely be returning in the future!

West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

I have just stayed at the Dreams Hotel Resort & spa for one week in January. Overall - really liked it..

The good/best points:
Location is the best in Cancun, the most beautiful private beach!

Roomservice is free - food/drinks/alcohol is totally free and well worth ordering - the burger & club sandwich is gorgeous

Upgrade your room to the tower with balcony - well worth it for the amazing views and extra special private lounge, conceige service, afternoon tea, private pool & special treatment

Free champagne throughout the hotel and served at breakfast too!

Japanese resteraunt has the best food, get there for 6.30 together a table

Waitress service by the pool is unbelievable, tip the lady who comes round the pool she's soo nice

Towels provided everywhere you look, no towel cards needed!

No wristbands, literally everything down to renting dvd's is included

Security everywhere who are very helpful/friendly

Nobody was ill!
Cocktails are gorgeous, Corona is free too and Bud's by the can!

The BAD points:

Food at the main is always cold, limited choice in camparison to most hotel buffets I have been to! Go to the others! Breakfast is nice but still Luke warm.

Rooms could do with updating, regrout the bathroom!! I paid £300 more for an upgrade to tower when I got there as the pyramid rooms were smaller, not as nice views etc however excellent gifts provided in the room with a fresh coffee maker! Mini bar restocked and rooms cleaning twice daily

Entertainment at night is poor compared to RIU hotel standards. Kids have nothing to do mainly, no mini disco etc Shows are not great, the magic Vegas show is awful!! Stuck in lobby bar or beach bar (waiters here are only nice to Americans who are big tippers!)

Hardly any English, mostly American, Canadian & Mexicans. We found the Americans hilarious though, real friendly always!

The pool & pool bar is surprisingly tiny! Lagoon is massive but abit mucky and full of fish. The beach is absolutely gorgeous but small. Limited to where you can swim basically, no suitable kids pool if you have under 5yrs.

Annoying entertainment staff who hassle you and ask you "why not?!" every two minutes lol Only some of them however! The main guy & his side kick were cool, his sister is not!

It's a shame about this hotel as the main food at night & entertainment standards really let this place down, it would possibly be perfect otherwise!! You won't regret going there, you will only wish they can improve as I would go back if they did on a yearly basis!

• Stayed January 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Pretty impressed with this resort! I'll try and keep it short....
Pros:
NO WRISTBANDS! This was great!
Two of the bars/clubs stayed open until 1pm! (other resorts i have stayed at with similar price range shut down at 11) and that was a bummer with a group of adults.

Cons:
-They had domestic beers like Budweiser and Budlight, but every night earlier on all of a sudden they were "out" of both of them, but then were not short the next day! Kinda disappointing because after awhile of drinking Corona and mixed drinks we were ready for a change.
-Also the only other thing I can think of is that only one restaurant served breakfast, but was huge buffet and one of the better buffet restaurants at an all-inclusive that I have eaten at!
-Also is a family-oriented resort so wouldnt recommend planning an adult vaca until the 3rd week of January (when both US and Canadian kids are back in school)

**Tip for people getting married in Mexico... If you can book two days for your wedding even if it costs a little extra or check around and see if some resort would let you have a backup date it would be an excellent idea!. We were down there for a wedding (Jan 2012) and it was a mini tropical storm!! It rained all day and winds at 40 mph! other wedding receptions on other days were were there didnt look like much fun because it is crazy windy by the gazebo and the preferred/private beach! (the other days we were there it was beautiful) I felt horrible for the bride and groom! :(

Room Tip: If you are staying in the main building (not the "preferred" tower), get an ocean view roo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect as it is situated right in the heart of Cancun. It is within walking distance to all the cool clubs and restaurants. Dreams is great because it is all inclusive which means you really don’t need to take any money out unless you leave the hotel. Of course while everything is for free while you stay it is still somewhat expected that you tip the staff even though that is apparently included in the all inclusive aspect of the hotel. The best part of the hotel is the beaches on either side. We could’ve lay there forever. The ocean is breathtakingly beautiful. The only negative to this hotel would be the dolphins – of course it was great to see them there at the beginning of our stay but the longer you stay there the sadder you feel for them!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Dreams Cancun. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, as this is our one and only goal – to make your stay a magnificent experience.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed our Exclusively location, at the shore point known of Cancun, Dreams Cancun is the only resort surrounded on three sides by the brilliant turquoise Caribbean.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure to host you again on your next trip to Cancun.

Kind regards,

Ecocierge.drecu@dreamsresorts.com

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!