“Perfect Vacation, a true dream of a place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Ziva Cancun

You added Hyatt Ziva Cancun to your Saves list
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Punta Cancun s/n, Zona Hotelera, Cancun 77500, Mexico (Formerly Dreams Cancun Resort & Spa)   |
south of Boston, MA
“Perfect Vacation, a true dream of a place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

Let me start out first by saying, do not be weary of any negative reviews you read on this site. I was a little worried before going, after I read some sour reviews. The only way you will NOT love this place is if you are one of those notorious, obnoxious miserable people who thrive to complain. Ok... now with that being said...

We stayed at Dreams Cancun from 11/24 - 11/30, and what will remain in our memories is how we were treated so kindly and respectfully. The staff was very warm and friendly, and always looking to get you whatever you want. Check in was a breeze, and our room overlooked the dolphins and beach. The room was cleaned twice a day, and the bed was VERY comfy. Decor is the room is modern and relaxing - no cheesy cheap floral quilts here!

Food was great - My husband is a total "meat & potatos" typical Irish, and I am a vegetarian, and we were both in heaven with the food. There is a great array of options, and the "World Cafe" seemed to have a theme night of diff. food every night. Don't miss the Mexican buffet, it was awesome!!

The beaches were clean, and you had your options of pools and beaches, and there was always within a few feet either a bar, or waiter walking around taking drink orders. We found it hard not to tip a little extra here and there, because the staff was just so personable and genuine.

If I was forced to make a complaint, I would say the spa was a bit too pricey. We got a couples massage, and I got a facial - which cost $365, and I've recieved better for much less - so if I stay there again (which I am sure we will) I'll skip the spa.

All in all, for what you pay for this hotel, which seems to be the "middle of the road" of prices, you get SO MUCH!!! Beautiful beaches, great staff, wonderful food and bottomless drinks... isn't that what vacation is all about?

• Liked — wonderful staff, great beach location and great food
  • Disliked — price of the spa
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Polish first
washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

This is no 4 star hotel!

The only thing nice about the "resort" was check out!

1st the pyramid rooms ....the walls are paper thin so you feel like you are particpating in your neighbor's honeymoon almost with visuals! On Saturday nights get ready to hear KC and the Sunshine Band until 2am. We were on the further side of the ball room(s) close to the ocean can't imagine having a room on the other side next to the ball room. Be prepared for Monday night football on the beach with drunks hooting and puking until the early hours. And the "ladies" running up and down the tile halls in "clogs" every night dropping their glass drinks. If that does not keep you up there is always the airconditioner or the non flush doors that rattle all night. Hope you are a early bird the dolphins like to start to romp around 5:30AM no need for a wake up call.

We had an option to upgrade to club level? For $125 more a night we would get a continental breakfast in their "private" lobby and a private happy hour??? The club level pool as we were walking by had 5 adults in it and it looked as if they were taking a bath in the 12 x 8 pool.

Let's see the food...if you like hamburgers and hot dogs you have booked the right place. Or their "fresh catch" which they don't know what kind of fish it is???

24 hour room service, there are more options on an Ice cream truck.

Beaches are so small and one is filled with seaweed and rocks. The pool has very few chairs which are so close together that you can not enter or exit from side to side. When you finally laugh on the beach and say "it is what it is" then comes the "mother" screaming at her kids thinking that everyone wants to hear her issues all day. Bring an Ipod! Keep the book for the plane or you will be reading the same sentence over and over.

The spa is wonderful. I'm pretty sure it is not affiliated.

We asked for clean sheets (3rd day) instead of just making our bed and giving us new towels but that was unheard of. We like to shower after a day in the sun or sight seeing but we prefer hot water or at least luke warm???

Did I mention check out was Awesome!

• Liked — Check out
  • Disliked — Touch choice
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NORTH CAROLINA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

The resort was very nice and the employees were extremely friendly. I took my little brother for his graduation and felt very safe letting go and do what he wanted, the security was very good. We will definately go to this resort again.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Dreams for our honeymoon 11/12-11/18. A little about me so you can gage my review: i've stayed in lots of fine hotels all my life (my father wasn't a Disneyland kind of guy, we went on cruises every summer and stayed at nice hotels in Bermuda) and consider myself pretty varied in my eating experiences. Not difficult to please, but I think I know what is good vs. real bad. This will be a little lengthy, just because I found the reviews to be so useful when they gave lots of info when I was planning my own trip.

Arrival: We were taken to the tower by a bellman who was obviously very proud of the hotel and explained what everything was as we walked to the tower (where our room was) and were seated at a private check in/out desk. We were offered a drink of our choosing and they ran immediately to get it. There were cold towels and cookies on the desk. Check in was a breeze, our room wasn't quite ready so we went out onto the private tower terrace to sit and enjoy the view. Ten minutes later they escorted us to our room.

Room: The room had a "honeymooners" banner on the door and the bellman escorted us in and showed us a little around the room. He promptly left to get our bags (which were left out in the carport). There was a bottle of champagne and fruit, and a nice welcome letter. We booked a club jacuzzi jr. suite. The balcony was very airy, the double sliding doors in the living room open way up to allow pass through to the balcony. The windows on the balcony do not open as far, but they open pretty wide to allow nice breezes and a great view. The jacuzzi tub was very clean. I filled it once, it was clean, but did not use it (ran out of time!). The room was spotless, and had rose petals on the floor leading to the bed with swans kissing made of towels with rose petals in a heart around them. The TV swivels so you can watch it from the living room or the bed. The refrigerator was stocked with sodas, water, and Coronitas (tip someone gave me- the bottle opener is in the bathroom! Good thing I knew that). There was a coffee maker with coffee and powder creamer but no sugars (which was fine, we took some the next time we were at b'fast to bring up to the room). The amenities were big, not small travel bottles, and the nicest touch-incense that smelled wonderful. There is only a half wall glass enclosure in the shower, so you do have to put some towels down when you shower but that was fine. Two sinks, and a bidet. Turn down service at night was a bit spotty, sometimes they came during dinner, sometimes they came early and just handed me the next day activities and chocolates because I wasn't ready for them. The A/C worked great, but it really wasn't a very humid week. There is a hair dryer and magnifying mirror in the bathroom, and slippers and a robe for you to use.

Beach: By far my favorite was the tower side beach, it was just so peaceful and less crowded. It was pretty windy our first two days, but that was ok. As soon as you sit in a chair they come over to see what they can get you.

Pool: The tower side pool was small, but nice with the infinity edge. The only thing that annoyed me was a family with three kids came from the pyramid building (I know they were staying there) and proceeded to jump in and splash around and yell like it was their own when my husband and I were obviously just sitting enjoying the calmness. That kind of ruined it for us. I know they have a right to be there, but personally, if I saw adults enjoying the pool I would've either told the kids to calm down and just swim or go to the bigger, more activity filled pool. We didn't go in that one, never saw too many people in it to be uncomfortable.

Towels/chairs: Towels are everywhere and you can take as many as you want. I always returned my used towel to the basket but saw many people just leaving them on the chairs which the staff would then have to clean up or sometimes chase in the wind if they blew away. There was never an issue getting a chair at the beach or the pool. Maybe because we went the week before Thanksgiving, they weren't as busy? Not sure.

Restaurants: Favorite was the Seaside Grill. They had a fondue appetizer that was just awesome. Unfortunately, every night we went there, there was a private function on the beach with a really annoying DJ so it wasn't the nice, soft romantic feel I wanted. Sidenote-the hotel and staff does a really nice job setting up these functions on the beach, one was a wedding, one was a corporate party. Oceana was ok, not my fave, but i'm not a huge seafood fan. Buffet was good, lots of variety, you really could eat something different there every day if you weren't a picky eater. And they had mexican night there one night which was good. I personally get tired of buffets and like to be served, so we only went there twice. In the morning they have a liquor buffet - OJ with Stoli and champagne, tomato juice with all the bloody mary fixings, it was very nice! LOL Himitsu was good, fresh, but not as well prepared as sushi i'm used to in and around NYC. But the ambience there was very nice, overlooking the water and was very open-feeling. Only went there once. We went to the restaurant you pay for, Poloma Bonita, and it was real good. They have a mixed appetizer for two that's just great.

Room service: We took full advantage and ordered it almost every day, (even just chips and salsa/guacomole one night at 2am!) and it always came quickly.

Service: Service everywhere was excellent. No exceptions. Never had to want for a thing. In the morning, after eating b'fast at the tower buffet (not just cold items, but eggs and bacon and all that too) they'd bring us two bloody mary's automatically making sure there were olives in his. If I got up to bring my plate somewhere someone rushed right over to take it for me. I really felt pampered, I must say.

Spa: I had an hour massage and it was just lovely. The spa is wonderful, so If you do get a massage, take advantage of the services within the spa that are available for spa guests. I sat in a steam room with eucalyptus vapors that was so refreshing, took an "outdoor" shower, and sat in the hot tub (was by myself, so nice) overlooking the ocean. There are also services you can have outside, but I didn't see anyone doing that. Making the appointment, I went in and just said I wanted a full body massage the next day, they fit me in and then even told me they'd give it to me for 49.00 less than what it usually was. Didn't ask for this, but that was nice!

Bars: the Baracuda bar is the best. Breezy, the swings are so fun, my husband and I basically sat in the same swings the entire week! The Coco Locos between 4-5 (I think) are great, they make them right there and put little fruit faces on them. The lobby bar was nice, there was live music, but we didn't hang out there too much. It was the one bar open the latest though.

Various tidbits: I saw every night the bartender at Baracuda putting a bottle of champagne and glasses next to the hot tub for anyone that wanted it. I never did go in, but I thought that was a nice, unexpected romantic touch.
We tipped generously, and saw many, many people order drink after drink, at the bar or the beach, without so much as a thank you. Just unacceptable to me.
The activities were lost to me, I must say I hardly saw any happen. They had the activity board and it was filled, but maybe it was my timing, but I only ever saw volleyball on the beach (lagoon) and the trampoline.
The Monday night football on the beach couldn't happen because it was too windy, but they moved it to the ballroom where most of the other nightly entertainment was (magician, hypnotist, Mayan show).
The dolphins are very well cared for and were jumping and swimming around joyously all the time.
The staff is constantly cleaning, the biggest mess I saw was a paper towel on the floor of the bathroom. Once.
Each restaurant has it's own bathroom, which is nice, you don't need to leave the restaurant to go to a central main bathroom. Little touch, but nice to me!
A little brown water came out of the shower a few times for a second, but didn't bother me.
Saw only three bugs. One day.
The portions in the restaurants are small, but take advantage of this by ordering every course!
You can order wine by the glass as much as you want, but you have to pay for a whole bottle. Not sure why.

Basically, this is a well-run, clean, wonderfully service-oriented hotel with good food, great people, lovely grounds, and the best bloody mary's ever!

• Liked — The service was top notch
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seacoast New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

After a lot of research online and from Friends, we booked a family get-away with multi generations coming along at Dreams. I was nervous to see how our stay would be - and I was completely satisfied.

We were thrilled with the resort and had the best vacation ever. Everyone was extremely helpful and friendly - we stayed in the tower - which is very VERY nice, although if it is wedding season you will have evening music - but not too late.

The food was very good - lots of variety. Our preteen was busy the entire time with the entertainment team - thank you Orlando! I couldnt say anything more positive - highly reccommend this resort - we will be back!

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Late maid service
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

My husband, daughters (16 & 17) and myself stayed at Dreams Nov 16th - 23rd. At check in, they were not able to give us the ocean front connecting rooms that I reserved, so they upgraded us to the tower, which was great. The rooms were very nice, just like the pics, and clean. I have absolutely no complaints about the housekeeping (or really anything else).

The food was good, except Italian night at World Cafe, being italians from Chicago, this did not go over with us very well, lol. But it was late and we were tired and lazy. There were a few items at the ala carte restaurants that I didn't care for, but no big deal, same thing could happen anywhere. Over all we were all very pleased with the food, and especially the convenience.

We didn't spend any time at the main pool or beach, we preferred the quieter tower side.

The service everywhere was outstanding! Please remember that just because they say that gratuities are included, that the servers don't deserve to be tipped!!! I saw many a family lounging on the beach, ordering drink after drink, watching Alberto trudge back and forth thru the sand with his tray with out even a dollar as a thank you. Bring lots of singles and be sure to pass them out! I think we went thru about 150.00 for 8 days, that also included tipping the bell hops and airport transfer guys and such.

The resort was nice and quiet for our first 5 or 6 days then there was a huge influx of families the day before Thanksgiving. I was a little irritated by some of the kids on the beach, throwing sand, crying whining, fighting etc... But that's not the resorts fault, just bad parenting.

We plan on returning next year but will probably check out before Thanksgiving to avoid the crowds.

Overall, we were extremely please with Dreams and can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
colorado springs
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

I was none to impressed with Dreams Cancun. After staying @ Dreams PV, I thought the resort in Cancun would be just as nice. Not at all.

The Rooms- Very small, unclean with poor maid service, the only thing it seemed was done was the beds made, and a couple of towels thrown in the bathroom

Room Service- The worst selection I have ever seen, the kids menu had more room selections than the adults, and plan on waiting 45min for some mac and cheese, very poor.

Restaurants- 4 - for the entire resort, very small with slow service and poor selections. The World Cafe, or Buffet was poorly laid out and ran, was out of multiple food items at the same time. I only had dinner their on the night we arrived and it was very unmemorible. I had breakfast there everyday (because that was the only choice we had) The food was the same all week no variation at all, the serive was terrible (I would get my own coffee and water, along with clearing my own dishes.)

Japanise restaurant- ok sushi, again very small and slow service, only ate ther one night.

Oceana grill and sea side grill- Both heavy with seafood items and no kids menu. I had lunch 1 time @ each place not so good.

Mexican Restaurant- well the same restaurant was included in PV but not in Cancun? The food and service were the best here. I had dinner here twice (and paid for it) on Thabksgiving however the restaurant tried to charge $150 dollar cover charge for our party of 7. They eventuly took it off but how silly.

Bars- The lobby bar was the nicest with the best service. The swim up bar it was hard to even find the bartender and it was hard to get a drink. I foud the same thing at the other two bars, almost like they didn't care that you were there. Don't try and get a drink befor 10am because you can't unless you make your own bloody mary or have a glass of champange (that I had to open on more than one occasion) in the buffet.

Pool- Way to small and not near enough chairs. Very noisey with activities

Lagoon- Dirty, dirty, dirty- 2 pattle boats, the kids need a life jacket to ride but you can only use the life jackt for an hour. (I don't know how long your kids swim for but mine swim for over an hour)

Dolphins-Can you say crulty to animals?

Beach-Nice but not enough chairs again.

Over All- If you have never been to Mexico or an all inclusive this place is for you. If you have been to Mexico and know what to expect I would steer clear.

Jrose@creekstone-homes.com

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun? Share your experiences!