“I Wouldn't Go Back” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ritz-Carlton Cancun

Save Saved
You added Ritz-Carlton Cancun to your Saves list
Ritz-Carlton Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Retorno del Rey 36 | Zona Hotelera, Quintana Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #17 of 172 hotels in Cancun
nyc
“I Wouldn't Go Back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The service is very polite and the rooms are nice enough (club floor, some sort of ocean view). It is just too many people in too small a place -- waits during a random lunch to grab a sandwich near the beach. The Sushi restaurant is really a buffet. The outdoor cabanas were closed for dinner the night we were there - which makes sense because I used their online reservation system and never heard back. Something is just off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Everything was immaculate about this hotel as expected. Food was wonderful. Pool and beach were impressive and clean. Service was top notch. There was nothing to change about this place. Typically, I do not stay in such nice places, but on a special occasion I splurged and I am happy I did. It is not near the downtown part of Cancun, but the public pus will take you right there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I liked this hotel a lot. The car service from the airport was good. The reception was welcoming, the hotel lobby, restaurants, halls and grounds had an opulent feel. The room could use some updating but it was clean, nice bathroom and shower.

The gym was good, I took a couple of great yoga classes with Erica. Staff was very helpful and each yoga mat came with towels, water and a flower.

The beach was okay, unfortunately I went when there was a lot of rain and wind so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I could. The pool was also okay but there was not enough seating. When I wanted to lounge by the pool, there was not one chair available.
The property is very family oriented with a lot of facilities dedicated to children.

The food was excellent! Breakfast was included with the room and the breakfast buffet had a great selection of fresh and tasty choices. The service was also excellent. As soon as you were seated, someone was there to pour your coffee or offer you juice. The guacamole was so good, as was the selection of fresh fruits.

I ate at one of the restaurants for dinner, I think it may have been The Club Grille. There was live jazz music and the food was again very impressive. I had the seared foie gras and duck breast/confit - simply divine! The silver service was quite grand with the servers bringing your main dish covered and simultaneously removing the lids.

In the evening there is a bar with live music where people can dance and hang out at night.

The best experience was dining at the beach with Casitas. The table was lit and covered with rose petals and lace. The service was friendly and the food was excellent! I had the tuna sashimi and the lobster - both were perfect. There was also a saxophonist serenading each cabana. I was also lucky enough to experience a full moon, which added to the ambience of the night. This is a must do experience.

I would recommend this hotel if you are visiting Cancun.

Room Tip: Arrange a beach dinner at Casitas.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

The Ritz Carlton Cancun was wonderful. My husband and two friends of ours stayed at the Ritz in April for a short four day break. I was immediately impressed by the hotel's beauty and opulence. I was so impressed with the size and location (oceanview) of our suite. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the menu selection at the beachside grill was extensive. The hotel, including its pool and beach area, was pristine, inviting and comfortable. But what really set this hotel apart was its phenomenal customer service. The staff were friendly, helpful, professional and so clearly driven to exceed guest expectations, that our experience couldn't have been better. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to other travelers and we will definitely be returning soon ourselves!

• Stayed April 2013
Stillwater, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great hotel, great staff, very kid friendly. We were uneasy about letting our 4-year old daughter stay at the Kids Club one afternoon but the staff put us at ease. Food is amazing... no gripes about anything

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Ritz at least a dozen times over the last several years and recently had to stay at the JW Marriott next door (it's biggest competitor). Now I finally have a basis for comparison:

1. Service- Ritz wins hands down without even breaking a sweat. I looked for my server for 10 minutes at the jw Marriott. No one else would help me. At the Ritz they are literally falling over themselves to help you. It's almost embarrassing.....almost.

2. Beach: obviously the same since they are next to each other.

3. Pool: jw Marriott had this winding pool area that was very cool but the ritz' is less chopped up. A tie I guess. Both nice as long as you don't need service.

4. Rooms: c'mon. They're both 5 star hotels. They're all nice. Moving on...

5. Food: you're not a smart traveler if you never venture out of the hotel to eat in Cancun, but I'll say that the Ritz wins again hands down. They are known worldwide for food and service. Marriotts restaurants were mediocre at best.

Overall, I couldn't wait to get back to the Ritz, but you'd probably have a nice vacation at the Marriott.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Before going to the Ritz I read many reviews on Trip Advisor, some of which made me wonder if I would regret staying there. Well, I didn't. We stayed there for 5 nights the first week of April. We had a fantastic time. Our room was an oceanfront room on the Club Level. The view of the ocean and beach was perfect. We were at the end of the hall and where there is an elevator that leads right down to the pool and beach area - very convenient.

The hotel is an older style classic, grand hotel. It is not run down in the way you might imagine from some of the reviews. It is old in style. The décor is heavy and traditional. It is not at all modern. They even use real keys as opposed to plastic cards. We found everything very clean and comfortable and all in working order. The beds were "heavenly". If you are looking for modern, chic décor, this is not the hotel for you.

What stands out at this hotel is the service. The workers know you by name and ask if there's anything you need every chance they get. They are all so polite, well-trained and really help to make your stay more enjoyable.

The only disappointment we had (and had read in other reviews) is that the food presentations offered on the Club Level are quite limited. For a non-drinker like myself, I'm not sure it is worth the extra expense to stay on this level. If you drink, they have everything and you are welcome to as much as you want.

We took the tour of Chichen Itza arranged through the hotel. It was excellent, but be forwarned that it is VERY HOT at the ruins. If you've never seen Mayan ruins, it is worth the trek.

The food at Fontina and the Club Grill in the hotel was fantastic as was the service. I would recommend trying both while you are at the hotel. Be sure to leave room for the soufflé at the grill.

Overall, our experience was excellent and I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Ritz-Carlton Cancun? Share your experiences!