“OMG Fantina and hotel is awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ritz-Carlton Cancun

Save Saved
You added Ritz-Carlton Cancun to your Saves list
Ritz-Carlton Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Retorno del Rey 36 | Zona Hotelera, Quintana Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #17 of 172 hotels in Cancun
Mason, Ohio
“OMG Fantina and hotel is awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Wow, now I've stayed at Ritz hotels before but this one's at a different higher level. And Samantha, the head of the room at the Fantina restaurant, is unbelievable - she runs a great restaurant and my wife and I had the best experience there. She deserves a raise or a promotion or both for the way she runs the staff and the food preparation. Wow is all we can say. Thanks, Ritz, for a heck of a vacation of pampering - in the room and all around the hotel!

1,383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Like every Ritz Carlton I have stayed at the service here is impeccable. The staff is always willing to help and very friendly. The swimming pool area is marvelous as is the beach access. A short walk to Kukulkan Plaza and La Isla shopping mall however everything else is a short can ride but that is the norm for the Hotel Zone. The restaurants here are all great however if you stay I highly recommend getting a private Casita at La Casitas, it is not cheap but worth every penny. Also do not deny yourself from visiting the Spa for a massage, they make you feel like Royalty.

Room Tip: Stay on the ocean side!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

As you know, Ritz Carlton is basically a glorified Marriott. In most cases it doesn't not compare to an Aman Resort or a Rosewood as far as the finishes in the hotels, but I will say ritz cancun is great and makes a nice attempt. For the most controversial issue, rooms and the hotel itself. I guess I will say it depends on what you paid, if you paid 300 a night it's great, for 600 it's maybe not up to standards, and for 1000 you will probably be disappointed. The hotel could use some updating but considering its age its actually in pretty good shape! But in every other way they make up for an older room. The service is fantastic both in the hotel and at the beach. Very friendly and caring staff. I cant say enough good things about them. I highly recommend the hotel and of any properties along the hotel zone, ritz cancun is by far the best.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Imagine our surprise when we waltzed through Mexican Immigration/customs on Monday, February 4! Great omen of an awesome visit. This was our third visit and we were as satisfied as ever. Our ocean front room, 8007, was comfortable. Housekeeping kept is sparkling clean with their twice daily service. The personnel in the Club had experienced very little turnover since our last visit in 2010. Angel, the ever professional concierge welcomed us back and Maria was there to serve us with her delightful smile. Food was excellent as ever and we only ventured out of the club once to dine at the Club Grille in the hotel. Ocean temperature was great for swimming; probably 4 to 5 degrees warmer than we experienced on Grand Cayman Island 2 years ago at the same time of the year.

Room Tip: Don't shy away from "ocean view" rather than ocean front. By angling the chairs, folk...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Started out at an all inclusive resort about 30 miles south.. big mistake. The Ritz to the rescue from the moment we pulled thru the gate. We felt at home with warm embraces, excellent oceanfront rooms. We were traumatized by the cheaper place so went for an oceanfront suite north building with a giant terrace. A fast hop down the stairs to the massive pool and beachfront.
The breakfast was amazing (used Amex Plat card deal) and every meal was terrific. At the end of the day the total per person including 2 additional hotel meals was less than a $100 pp per day more and worth every penny. The only issue is that the ocean can be very rough and is not conducive to swimming. I will be back for fast breaks in the future. Loved it!!

Room Tip: we loved the oceanfront suite with the larger terrace on the north side for great privacy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
River Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been to this resort twice and I will never stay Anywhere else in Cancun. The service is over the top, food is outstanding and I am gluten free and they went out of their way to prepare me special meals.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were looking for an all-inclusive in Cancun for a short weekend with the Kids (3 mo's & 9 yr's) and had stayed at a Dreams and Adventura Spa in the past. I'm a Marriott Platinum from all my work travel and saw there was a JW and a regular Marriott in Cancun that were VERY CHEAP, so I kept looking and saw my rate for the Ritz and said why not - forget the crappy food at an all-inclusive and lets head to the Ritz! Even if we spent 2k on food over the 5 days we were there, we were still ahead.

Ok, so the property blew me away. Much better than what I expected in terms of rooms (we were upgraded to a King Suite), location (it's still quiet even though you are in a party zone and very pretty beaches) and probably the best service of any RC resort I've been to (Maui, St. Thomas, Caymans). The property is a little tired and was to be upgraded a few years back, but it never happened. Still - they do a good job keeping it up.

Since we were traveling with an infant, we reserved their Itsy Bitsy Ritz room that has a crib and many of the things you need for a baby. It was going to be a tight fit with a roll-away, but we were going to give it a shot. Since we were upgraded to a Suite, They moved all that baby stuff to our suite and placed a crib and a roll away bed in the other room for the 9 yr old.

We ate breakfast on property for two mornings, the buffet was perfect and cheaper than expected ($29/adults, $14 kids) and we ate two nights at the lobby bar. One night was during the Superbowl and they brought in TV's and had a sports bar menu. That food was pretty good. Also had sushi the next time I ate there and it was ok. I'd pass next time and go for the regular bar menu.

I had a chance to go up to the Club Lounge a few times and was disappointed. Nothing like the club lounge in St Thomas RC. They only put liquor out from 5-8 pm, an it's very limited. The cookies were always over cooked, usually my favorite part. The breakfast and dessert menu didn't change much, as lunch seemed to have the most variety. No food for kids either. I personally wouldn't pay. They won't let you "buy into" the club level with actually buying a club room here stating exclusivity, but I bet it's also because its not a separate room, rather in the open space on the 8th floor. Also, they use real keys for the rooms there and thus can't reprogram a key card for access.

The fitness center was perfect. We didn't get to use the spa, but I heard its one of the best for a RC. Basically hung out at the pool during the day.

Went to a few restaurants in the area a night and was happy.

No question we'll be back here.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Ritz-Carlton Cancun? Share your experiences!