“Amazing food and cocktails and great service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ritz-Carlton Cancun

Save Saved
You added Ritz-Carlton Cancun to your Saves list
Ritz-Carlton Cancun
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Retorno del Rey 36 | Zona Hotelera, Quintana Roo, Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$100 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #16 of 172 hotels in Cancun
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and cocktails and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in early December during the relatively low season. We opted for the beach front room rate which included a full American (buffet) breakfast and USD 100 a night credit to spend in the hotel. I would recommend this plan, as the breakfast is excellent and the hotel tries hard to generate extra income from extras, which if you do not have the USD 100 a night credit, might become a little irksome. It is very easy to spend the USD 100 every day, but overall, in low season, we found the hotel exceptional value for money.

The hotel is about 20 minutes drive from Cancun airport and along the narrow spit of land known as the hotel zone. The hotel is roughly in the centre of this spit near the shopping centre (mall) Plaza Kukulcan. It is very near the Secrets Resort, The Hard Rock Hotel and The Royal Sands, and quite near the JW Marriot. It is also quite near La Isla Shopping Village, which is a large and expanding shopping centre on the lagoon side with Venice like canals, an aquarium and several restaurants.

The first impressions on entering the hotel are that it is a grand, 5 hotel with high ceilings and marble everywhere. I have seen on a few other reviews (having read them extensively prior to booking), those few reviews not awarding the hotel 4 or 5 star reviews, that the hotel is in need of a refurbishment. I would say that by most standards, the hotel is very well maintained, and although I read that the last full refurbishment was in 2006, the level of maintenance and repair is very high, and it was exceptionally hard to find any fault while I was there, either in our room or the public areas. This is not a modern, minimalist ultra-chic hotel. If you want that then look elsewhere, possibly at Me by Melia hotel. The only small gripe could be the sound insulation between rooms, but that only very occasionally caused us any annoyance.

Dining
The dining experience while there, including the service was exceptional. Almost everything we ate was delicious. It is quite easy to eat healthily by sticking to the amazing ceviche and other fish dishes instead of eating pizzas and french fries.

EL Cafe Mexicano:
The full American breakfast (included in our package) was exceptional. There is a huge choice of fruit, pastries, classic hot breakfast food, an omelette bar, Mexican breakfast classics and fruit juices, and on Sundays a quesidilla bar. Everything was delicious, very well prepared and the service was attentive, if catering for the US market, which for British people is a little too much in your face. The omelettes were cooked to perfection, the quesadillas too, the bacon was that thin crispy smoked type and the fruit was normally a choice of 3 types of melon including watermelon, papaya, pineapple, strawberries, grapes and others (but no mango while we were there). The quality of the pastries was also first class, and the choice extensive. There is a choice of eating either inside or outside by the pool. We always chose outside which was far better except for the annoyance of having to go through the door to get to the buffet (would be useful if it were an automatic sliding door) and for the birds that make loud shrieking noises, wanting to be fed.

The Lobby Bar:
Beautiful ambience usually augmented by live music ranging from a pianist to a flutist. Again, service is excellent, if more catering for the US market, and everyone of the cocktails we tried was either delicious or amazing. We tried the Mexican ceviche (excellent) and lobster tacos (delicious). There is also an extensive selection of Mexican and international beer. Highly recommended.

Rooms
Most of the rooms in the hotel face east which means a lovely sunrise in the morning. We had a standard room on the 4th floor. There was a very comfortable King sized bed with crisp 100% cotton bed linen and the decor was very much the US standard of eclectic classic style. The room was equipped with a 42inch flat screen TV, a Ipod dock (gen 3 and 4) clock radio, a coffee maker and mini bar.

The room was above average size and the bathroom was also spacious with a separate WC inside the bathroom. The shower was also separate from the bath. The bathroom was full of white marble. Even though the fundamentals of the bathroom (eg. the marble and stone) probably are those of when the hotel was first built, the room has been well maintained and everything had been replaced and renewed when and if necessary.

The Beach and pool area:
The pool areas are split into two with the north wing area having a larger pool and a large jacuzzi and the south pool area with a smaller pool and a fountain / waterfall.

The beach is very well maintained with serene white sand and turquoise water. While we were there the waves were a little rougher than what you'd expect based on experience from other places in the Caribbean but nevertheless the whole experience was wonderful. When I was there if it is a calm day and the green flag is displayed there was a sandbank about 50 metres out from shore directly in front of the wooden life saving tower. The sand out there is beautiful with no uncomfortable pebbles or stones, and it is possible to stand with the water at thigh height. Only swim out there if you know you can swim back!

The hotel offers 3 choices of sun loungers on the beach:

○ White ones by the pool or on the beach which are free.
○ Wooden double sun lounger with a blue hood on the beach. USD 25 a day
○ Straw roof wooden shelters with sun loungers and hammocks ("casitas"), with space for about 4 + people. USD 150

If you don't mind spending USD 150 a day then the casitas are extremely comfortable. I did object to spending that much , but I suppose they are priced according to demand in the high season. Possibly some of the more luxurious plans offer these as part of the deal. The blue hooded double sun loungers are claustrophobic and after trying one for 5 minutes, we decided to abandon the idea for the normal ones.

Internet
The only real negative I experienced while staying at the hotel is the internet. I can live with a charge of USD 20 a day, but I can't live with a charge of USD 20 a day per device. The mark up on this must be absolutely enormous. I would strongly urge the hotel to reconsider this per device charge.

Conclusion:

We would whole hearted recommend this hotel given our experience in low season in the first week in December. What stood out the most was the standard of the food and drinks, which were absolutely excellent, and by London standards not too expensive.

Room Tip: We had a full ocean view room. It seems that all the rooms have views of the ocean. To save money fo...

1,367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I cannot begin to tell you how great I think this hotel is. Everthing about it is top notch. The food is so fantastic in every food outlet they have. You must try the Green Juice in the mornings I had it every day. At least I felt like I was starting the day healthy! The staff all knew my name and knew my preferences by the 2nd day of my stay. The pools are so pretty and relaxing and of course the beach, WOW!! If I were to point out any deficiencies I would say that the pillows were not all that comfortable. This place is worth a visit for sure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

If I were just rating the physical aspects of this property, I would probably give it 4 stars. It is a beautiful property and is kept in pristine condition, but it is older and it shows here and there.

The rooms was very spacious. I lucked out and got a room with a large patio/balcony. Too bad they do not all have that much room outside.

The beach is very spacious and the chair options are varied for every budget. Currently there is a shallow sandbar just off shore that made the typically unsafe cancun waters swimable in this area. This was the first time in several trips that I was actually able to make it out into the water beyond a depth of waist high without being concerned for my safety (and I am a good swimmer - that current is STRONG). Beach service was slow at times, but good . . .try the mango chili margarita . . . spectacular.

I did not get to try all of the dining options, but what I did try was very good. I particularly like the mexican place (where they serve breakfast) - try the cheese/chorizo dip. Delicious.

There is a little bit of a feeling of being nickled and dimed. The room rates at this property are very reasonable, but then you have to pay extra for every little thing. Personally, I would prefer it if they just raised the room rates or charged an upfront resort fee that covers the usual extras (like the Grand Cayman property does). In the end, it probably comes out about the same either way, but it is less bothersome to me to just pay it up front.

All that said, what really sets this property apart from all others in my book is the staff. They are amazing. Incredibly and genuinely helpful. They all made me smile every day.

This was my 6th trip to cancun but first to this Ritz property. I will never stay anywhere but here when returning to Cancun in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed with my family some weeks ago. I'm a frequent Ritz - Carlton guest so I always try to go for it business or family. This time I felt a little bit disappointed because of some "details" regarding the cleanliness of my room and others. The manager solved them as quick as possible. At the end of my experience I am very satisfied with the service as always. However, I was invited (that was really good) to speak with the General Manager about my "not perfect experiences" and he was very kind and deeply concerned of my expectations being covered. As I told him: There is a high risk for the Ritz-Carlton brand after being bought by Marriot: Costs, volume and other company issues might diminish the branding care. Thanks a lot as always!

Room Tip: Don't take the "ocean view", take the "Ocean Front", there are some bucks mo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We just spent a week at the Ritz in Cancun and it was more than delightful! I have to tell everyone who may be thinking about traveling to this property that they should book their flight. Of course the property is lovely, and rooms beautifully appointed (and new carpeting in the hallways!) but I must include a special thank you to the many staff members who made our stay memorable.
Feliz Navidad to Nayeli Santoya and Victor who met us every morning at breakfast with a warm smile and impeccable service (and special treats!!); Rene and Ohdemaris, Club level concierges who left no detail unchecked for us, and all the staff on 8 who made our snacks and drinks so tasty every afternoon and evening; Chef Rene's cooking class with Lina and Eva was delightful, informative and delicious, and of course Aaron and Diego at the pool and beach who made sure our towels were placed just so and lime daiquaris were cold and frosty. And a special hola to Ms. Selena and Salvador in the Club Grill for making us feel so special - Besame mucho!!
As I said, the property is beautiful but the staff made the trip memorable. Los Siento to all the other staff whose names I did not get (or if I spelled names wrong) but who made the moments special. Gracias and Feliz Navidad.

Holland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you look at the other reviews for the Cancun Ritz-Carlton they talk about the beautiful beach, warm staff, and nice accommodations. I am in total agreement. The staff made us feels at home. They couldn't do enough for us!!! Very relaxed environment. The food was excellent at the breakfast buffet, restaurant and room service. We liked the place so much we are going back in February. Didn't do the spa we spent all our time on the beach.

There is another thing that is bringing us back. When we left a few weeks ago my wife by accident dropped a jewelry purse in the room. There were several valuable pieces in the purse including diamond earrings. My wife was very upset and I thought that I should check and see if we left it in our room. I know what you are thinking, fat chance you will see that again. Well to our surprise it had been turned in by the cleaning staff.

This is indicative of the staff of this hotel, warm, caring, honest people who work hard to make your stay special. They certainly did in our case and as I said we are going back in a few weeks. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Room Tip: All Ocean Front Rooms with excellent views. We were on the second floor and we would have preferred...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Excellent service during our stay at the Ritz Carlton. Comfortable, clean and well appointed rooms with great small balconies overlooking the pool and beach. Very good restaurant experiences at both the lounge/Asian and cafe locations. The breakfast buffet was amazingly good with a very wide selection of food that offer local food choices as well as more familiar staples.

We did not visit the pool or beach areas however they looked pretty inviting.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the beach/pool are very enjoyable - sit on the balcony for a while.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ritz-Carlton Cancun? Share your experiences!