“Brilliant Holiday not so good hotel!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dos Playas Hotel Cancun

You added Dos Playas Hotel Cancun to your Saves list
Dos Playas Hotel Cancun
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   blvd kukulcan km 6.5 Zona Hotelera, Cancun 72160, Mexico   |
Ranked #106 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Holiday not so good hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on the 4th june with a friend - when we arrived at this hotel we wondered where the hell we was as it was empty! we didn't expect much from this hotel as we was there just to party basically so didnt plan on spending a lot of time in the hotel.

Food - The food was absolutley shocking - we ate in the restraunt no more than five times. We expected it been bad but this was beyond poor! We at least expected to be able to eat chips? however you would have to pay for these. Been fussy eaters we didn't know if it was down to this but we spoke to various people whilst staying there and everyone had the same opinion about the food! We tend to eat out a lot at nice restraunts in the main town - not expesive at all and at least you had something decent to eat!

Drinks - Drinks were basic and tastless - again we didn't expect much and didn't get much. However there was a shop in our hotel which sold various drinks at a very low cost! Also one day we went to watch the England game at senior frogs which was amazing came back to our hotel about 20.00 to be refused drinks as we and our friends that we had met were ''too drunk''

Rooms - The rooms were basic but this didn't bother us too much as we wasn't planning on spending much time in there - just to get ready and sleep. They were clean but basic, we only had to request towels twice. However one thing that was bad was that everytime we got to our room our key had stopped working, this was annoying. We requested a sea view as it was for our 21st birthdays and we got this - very nice view!!!

Grounds - The acutal grounds of the hotel were amazing - the beach was quiet so when we was hungover there wasn't loads of people around - it was just nice! The views was amazing and the sea was beaut! It is very close to the clubs and restraunts - just a five minute bus ride for about 50p!

Pool - We didnt tend to spend much time around the pool area due to lack of sunbeds!! Also all the sunbeds that was around the pool area was under shade! Deffo recomend the beach for Sunbathing!

Entertainment Team & Evening Shows - Well the shows w that was put on (3 nights a week) were absolutely shocking, not worth watching and just done at the corner near the pool side! However Elliot & Angel - wow they were amazing! They took us out to a different club every night! provided transport and que jumps and free drinks in the clubs which really was good drinks! They involved everyone and kept everybody smiling! When we first arrived we felt out of place and new nobody and they introduced us to everyone and made us feel very welcome! they are the absolute best thing about this hotel! On one of there nights out they took us to down town mexico to a restraunt! Absolutely lovely people!

All in all a good holiday however if i would have gone there with my boyfriend or family for a nice holiday i would of been terribly dissapointed and definatly moved hotels! If you aren't coming to party book elsewhere!

Room Tip: Request a sea veiw!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Jose Maria P, Guest Relations Manager at Dos Playas Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
June is not high season and the occupation is moderate in most of teh hotels and resorts in Cancun. We´ve had different reviews about quality of food and beverages and we respect all of them and do our best to improve them based in all your comments. We are willing to provide a sea view when available but booking a room does not guarantee that it will be provided at your arrival. We are glad to know that our entertainment staff did its best to make you feel comfortable in and out the hotel. Thanks for your staying!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I spent the worst 2 weeks of my life in cancun thanks to hotel dos playas. When we arrived at around 5pm local time we asked where to get food from. We was told we had to wait till 7pm even through it was an all inclusive. As the days went on the staff where getting more and more rude to we thought it was just us but once we found another English couple they said exactly the same. It's as if they went out of there way to be as rude as possible. We would stand in a que and be ignored then when other people came up they would be served strait away. We had a 3 year old child with us and when explaining that he could not eat none of the food we was told they don't accommodate children unless we pay of a different menu even though he paid same price as the adults. The food was that bad anyway that as a family we chose to eat out each night and lost out on other holiday fun we could have been doing with the money. My shower worked for around 1 minuet going scorching hot then ice cold then cut off so you would have to phone done to reception every day covered in soap , once again when speaking to the English couple they had the same problem. Over the 2 weeks I had to call reception 4 times reporting cockaroachs In my room also I was swimming one day in the pool when I heard a scream. To my horror there was a dead rat floating next to me. I ran to the maintenance man who simply scooped it out and put it in the bin then opened the pool as normal. The hotel had a 2 drink per person rule witch is understandable but when we ordered for the 3 year old who was in our party we was forced each time to go and get him and carry him the bar to get his drink , after the 2nd day I was in reception for the whole day phoning the travel agent back home to see if we could be moved hotel costing over $100 with no success as we booked online and were told we was in no danger so they would not move us even tho a balcony had collapsed on a man who was out having a cigarette ( who was reporting this whilst I was in there) after 4 days I was that desperate that I was willing to pay for flights home to get out the hotel but for the whole party was financially to much if any English have booked to stay here I would suggest they pay a bit extra and stay in better hotel dos players is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in in my life and I guarantee anyone who stays here will have the same view

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and give us the opportunity to clarify some of your comments to future guests. All inclusive resorts have specific times for the 3 main meals and, eventually, they have a snack station open among those times. We regrest if our staff wer rude to you but we will not consider your comments about some else´s experiences. Food tasting is very subjective and we´ve had very good reviews about this topic. The property is periodically fumigated and, logically, they can die anywhere. We apologize for this incident but we can assure you that is not a common event in Dos Playas. Regarding the "balcony collapsing" on a man, that is not accurate and, again, we cannot accept comments if you were not personally involved. Eventhough, you are complaining about understable things, you stayed with us for 2 weeks so we can assume that at the end you probably had a good time and that´s what matters to us. Finally, we invite you and potential guests to take a look at other reviews posted and they verify that there are other points of view.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

When I Stayed at dos playas with my family I had a amazing holiday had a brilliant 2 weeks, staff where all very friendly always their to help !! Especially when I was ill always asking if I needed any thing was very nice !! The two entertains Elliot and angel where amazing always very chatty and asking if we wanted to play volley ball and To do other things they both are assets to the hotel brilliant pair !! The food was what we expected you will be alright if you like chicken!! The rooms was very basic you get what you paid for basically !! Around the hotel is lovely perfect location your right on a beautiful beach not far from the town witch is not a long walk earthier !! Brilliant holiday would 100% recommend going to this hotel !!

Stayed June 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed here in mid may for a week after getting a good all inclusive deal,was a bit put off by some negative feedback before I left for airport.but im a great believer in judging for myself.well I had a great time here,the staff were first class.the guy that takes your cases and takes you to your room was always helpful and smiley,he also helped out a Texan couple who were holidaying for the first time in years.made sure they had everything which was a nice touch.the rooms are basic but suited me as I was there to sunbathe during the day,drink some cocktails then bust some roboticks and moonwalking come nightime!i see people complaining about reception?were they in a different hotel?????If I had a problem like no towels,or that I ordered a sea view room,or anything else,i went to them face to face and told them,they couldn't have been anymore nicer and all my problems were sorted right away.they even pick up the phone in front of you and call maintenance or the maid to sort it,as in some places they say leave it with me sir and you wonder if its getting done,so top marks to this friendly bunch of reception staff.the views from this hotel were stunning,you could gaze all day looking at the ferries coming and going and hotels and beaches stretching out in front of you as a gentle breeze hits you.well especially after a few ticket to fly cocktails,the bar staff were out of this world always had a smile and was great service all the time.the restaurant also,they were always on hand to greet you on entering and leaving,and chefs and cooks were friendly also.and a big thanks to the guys cooking the pizzas and burgers they were very helpfull,especially opening the wee sachets of mustard for me,not an easy thing to do with sun tanned lotioned fingers.i really cant fault this hotel and wouldn't think twice about coming back again,so please don't let the bad reviews put you off on here.if your looking for a nice friendly staffed hotel,where you can have a mega chill in a good position and at a great price book the dos play as you wont regret it!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Very disappointing as the water kept disappearing whilst in the shower, so had to sit with soap everywhere to wait for this to come back on. Complained to Reception 3 times and they do not care. The bathroom drainage is never cleaned hence when the door is shut is smells like a sewer.
The maintenance is literally non-existant.I think that this hotel is best suited for their own locals and they seem to treat them alot better than foreigners. I would not go back to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

First room was like a prison cell,I know that because I work in that field, it was the smell that hit you first,then then bed sheets boy were they bad,no towels phoned twice to ask for them ,fell asleep and in the morning went to the reception asked to move ,they gave me a better room bigger brighter and no smell, food ok drinks on the small side,beach ok ,next to a busy marina where the boats come and go a lady nice to see,pool ok staff to, my big problem was £300.00 was taken from room. Yes my safe was locked and I don't drink. I am very safety concussion. So what happened to it,well a few people were talking about stuff being going missing from there rooms also. So I just felt let down , oh and local people stay here to all year round in they condo,s.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel (which is also a timeshare and condo location) is a mediocre hotel that has the right location. It is situated near an R1/R2 bus stop and it is set on a beach (that i believe is a public beach given after a storm churned up a load of sea grass it was not cleaned up despite the rest of the grounds being well kept). The hotel room had a pervasive moldy/mildewy smell which was difficult to get past even though we typically were pretty exhausted by the time we got to the room. We read a lot of reviews on both sides of the fence, so we knew we were taking a big chance when we booked there but ultimately decided to make the gamble and go with it because we knew we would not be spending much time in the room and even if it sucked we knew we could roll with it. I would not suggest this hotel to someone who is moderately particular because they would likely be let down, where as someone who is just looking for the "3 S's" will be equipped to deal. If we were to go back, i would take my chances with another hotel over this one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dos Playas Hotel Cancun? Share your experiences!