“Fantastic Hotel. Paradise on the hotel zone strip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

You added The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan | Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo., Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 40% on 2nd night
Ranked #15 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic Hotel. Paradise on the hotel zone strip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

I'm an SPG Gold and stayed here on points. I took a long time trying to figure out which of the starwood hotels to choose (westin, le meridien, or lagnunamar) and I feel confident saying I made the right choice.

This hotel is gorgeous. Once you get past the purpleness of it, everything about this hotel is great. The rooms are very modern, all have kitchens, oceanviews, decks and are really clean. The staff is supremely friendly and the concierge is very helpful. Except for the "welcome packet" they want to give you, you would never know this place was a timeshare. I just used the concierge instead of my particular host and that worked out great.

There is more pool area than I knew what to do with, 2 hot tubs, a slide, and a pool bar. There's even activities like bingo and beach volleyball and soccer. You're right on the beach and chairs and towels are provided and it's gorgeous. The food at the restaurants by the pool and dinner weren't 5 star, but are exactly what you need and the drinks are great. You're right across the street from a fancy shopping mall that literally has everything, the bus stop is right out front for easy access, and there's a car rental counter in the hotel (or 3 more across the street). For cancun, I don't think the location or atmosphere could be better.

After the trip, my only con is that I wanted to explore the mayan ruins and cenotes more and the hotel zone (where all 3 starwood hotels are located in cancun) isn't as convenient as say riviera maya or playa del carmen. That being said, I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
new hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

My husband, 11 year old and I just returned from a week at the Lagunamar. Our daughter is begging us to go back and I would love to although the expenses were much more than I had anticipated so I'll have to save up! We are starwood owners and traded for a one bedroom with a king sized bed.

Accomodations: The suite was very nice with a clean modern look and a great bed. We were able to get a single bed for an additional cost which was also a Heavenly Bed. No complaints at all; fantastic view of the resort, ocean and the ruin nearby. Very Quiet!!!

Service: We had excellent service, no complaints there.

Time Share Talk: We went to save the $100 and it was worth it. We told the salesman that we would have loved to buy but couldn't and told him the reasons why. He brought in someone else very briefly and then sent us on our way. It lasted less than an hour and there was no pressure (it was WAY better than any other timeshare talk). The only problem was that they didn't have any available time on the day we wanted to talk. First time we ever had to chase a timeshare meeting!

Food: The food and the drinks at the poolside were great but bring money!!! Try the shrimp and steak tacos, so yummy. We didn't want to waste half of a precious day going to walmart so we compromised by splitting meals (they are pretty large) and brought our own snacks, breads, cereals and booze from home. We supplemented with stuff from the downstairs market such as eggs, cream cheese, sandwiches and Milk. We ate at the Thai restaurant at La Isla which was gorgeous but also at NYC prices. We had dinner twice at Italiannos which was good, not too expensive, very good service and great for a family meal. The ice cream was very good but check out The Chocolate shop nearby for killer chocolate ice cream. We went to Mercado 28 one day to eat at a restaurant that the locals recommended but although the food was very good I wouldn't go back just because it was so uncomfortable having so many people approach you to sell sell sell. It was the least pleasant experience of all although I'm glad I did it because I was worried I was missing out on the "real" mexico. Let's face it, this is mostly an upper middle class vacation spot, everyone speaks English and you are there for the weather, the beach, and the fun side trips.

Entertainment: We did the package deal through the hotel for the Isla Muerta Dolphin Discovery and Garrafon. It was very well organized and all inclusive. The bus to the ferry, the ferry, a very good breakfast, free drinks, the dolphin interaction, taxi to Garrafon, buffet and drinks, snorkling and zip line. My husband got sick that night so we don't know if it was something in the buffet or what...
The hotel offers excursions and we took advantage of the dolphin show and aquarium across the street - Highly recommend this. It was fun, cheap and easy to do.

I noticed lots of irritated people looking for a chair around the pool after 10 am or so. It wasn't a problem for us because I like to be at the pool by 9am but it was true that there were plenty of chairs with just towels that someone put there early on and then left. I think that is unfair. If you want to reserve a few seats you should at least have one person sit there to save them. They need to find another way to allocate chairs.

Beach: They shovel out steps to get to the surf which we loved. The tide was very strong so be Careful! We had so much fun though and will be thinking about it all year.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

This is an excellent property great for a family or romantic getaways.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

We reserved a King room which I highly reccomend. The studios have a small kitchenette, the king room has a full kitchen, with large fridge and ample counterspace. All rooms have a great view of the ocean with a balcony.

Infinity pool was awesome. Also had a kids pool which was a nice touch as well. One thing that I would reccomend to the hotel, is to provide more shade, especially for the kids. It was hard to find.

Location was great, right across from the open air mall which had ample restaurants and stores you can peruse with kids during the day as well as at night. There really werent any good supermarkets close by which wasnt great so you really have to made a trek to Walmart for your goods. The hotel had items that you would need in case you ran out which was nice.

Service was not great at all. I think they cater to the timeshare owners first becuase we had to beg for them to service our rooms. When we complained, they really didnt care. We also had an "incident" with one of our daughters hurting herself on one of thier many hazards around the hotel and although they took care of the medical attentoin, that was pretty much it. People were complaining all over also about stubbing thier toe on something.

At 10,000 points a night it was worth it but i think ill be using my points elsewhere for my next vacation.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

My husband and I along with my daughter and son-inlaw celebrated our birthday and anniversary at the The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort the first week of February.
The resort is absolutely beautiful. The hugh infinity pool looks like it spills into the caribbean ocean. The beach is directly below the pool area and is beautiful. We enjoyed the expansive beach and wonderful ocean with large waves.
We had a two bedroom which had wonderful bedding, beautiful bathroom with walk in shower, large jaquzzi tub, double sink and private toilet area. The kitchen and living area had all the ammendities one would want including a washer and dryer. The best part was that the second bedroom was a lockoff which gave my daughter and son-inlaw their own private space. While we were enjoying our vacation, I got hives and needed a doctor. We called the front desk for help and were told that the resort had a doctor on the premises. We went to the doctor's office and I was immediately treated and the medicine was delivered to our room from the pharmacy within 20 minutes. I was able to continue to enjoy my vacation.
The staff at the Westin are exceptional. They were friendly, accommodating and geniuely happy to assist us. The Westin has all the facilities necessary to have a memorable Cancun vacation.

Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

This hotel is gigantic. The infinity pool is amazing. The pools and hot tubs are huge so you don't feel crowded while swimming. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms are really nice. The location is perfect.

I traveled with my husband and 22-month-old. We sat by the baby pool each day. It is true what other reviewers have said about the lounge chair situation. Although we weren't in the much sought-after infinity pool section, people still would reserve their chairs and more than one umbrella before 9:AM, so if you want to sit in a specific location and need an umbrella, you'll have to do what everybody else does and get there early to claim your territory.

The room (we stayed in a studio) was really nice. The balcony was small but perfect for us. The kitchen had everything we needed. The bathroom is huge and the whirlpool makes the most amazing bubbles at the press of a button. The AC runs very cold and the water runs very hot. One thing that was a little bit annoying was the AC would really freeze the room and when we opened the balcony, the hot outside air would create condensation so we ended up with a soaking wet room. The in-room washer/dryer was awesome to have. The pillows were too firm/thick.

There is a lot for kids to do: The kids club, the rabbits, the playground, mini-golf, the aquarium right across the street, the baby pool, the small ruins with large iguanas right next door. That was key to us being able to have an enjoyable time. The little grocery downstairs was perfect for a few essentials and we bought stuff to grill from there as well. We did not make the trek to Walmart but instead took the bus to a local grocery store for a few additional items. Walmart would be the way to go, though, because you can probably get meat and veggies there whereas pickings were slim at the place we ended up at.

Everybody on the staff was very friendly towards us. We did return to our room daily to find a message from the concierge telling us about our welcome gift that we had to come claim. One night, when our child fell asleep in the stroller, we decided to just do it since we wanted the $100 certificate. The initial meeting, to get some information on tours and your free, cheap tote bag, was maybe 10 minutes. Then you are booked for the other tour. We were told, over and over, that it would take 90 minutes. It's not true. You meet with three different people and go from the couches, to the interactive display to the office, to the room and back to the office until you are ushered up to the final office. We declined to purchase and were met with astonishment. Total time was 2 hours and 15 minutes. We chose to do the whole thing... you can avoid it if you don't want the $100.

The beach was pretty empty... they are in the process of refurbishing it but there is a 5 foot drop from the sand to the ocean. It's beautiful, though. Free internet 24 hours. Restaurants across the street are chains and not very good, but it was good for us with our child in tow. Oceana was pretty good.

All in all, it was a great resort. Doesn't feel like Mexico... more like Vegas or something. But a perfect getaway for us.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
houston,texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

My wife and 15 month old stayed for 8 nights at the hotel. The view of the ocean is something you would see from a postcard -- absolutely breathtaking. As for location, it cant be beat. The hotel, however, has major flaws.
Cons:
1. Our 15 month old still sleeps with us, so if you get a studio suite it comes with a queen size bed -- which definitely is on the smaller side. When we approached the hotel about it, they said that for an extra 130 dollars plus tax they would give us a king size bed evern though we are spg memebers.
2. Dont get used to the coffee in the room because after the first free pouch its going to cost you. I have never been to a hotel that charges you for coffee adnd we have been to many hotels around the world.
3. One of the days the a/c went out. After approaching the front desk about it, they informed me that it was routine maintenance and should be fnished in 2 hours. After coming back after 6 hours the a/c still was not working. I informed the front desk that the room was extremely hot and that my 15 month old needed to take his nap. What response did I get? They told me that there was nothing that they could do about it and that the whole hotel was in the same boat. As I grew louder in my frustartion regarding my child, the front desk told me "open the sliding door and get a breeze." Really? After I pay this much money, thats what I get -- not even an apology.
4. Stay away from the timeshare presentation. They call you every morning to get you down to talk to the concierge about getting you acquainted with the hotel buts its just a ploy to get you an appointment for the presentation. They called us every morning at 9 am -- im on vacation i dont want to be woken up at 9am. After listening to their 15,000 dollar pitch, I resepctfully declined and was treated like I had leprosy. They stopped being nice and was rude as the agent took us to another person to pitch another idea at us. Once we declined again, he said "well you know how you came in h=just go out the same way." FYI, this 90 minute presenation doesnt inlude the fact that we had to wait 1 hour. Seriously, it actually runed the day for my wife as she couldnt believe that people could be that transparent. $100 dollars is not worth them ruining your day and losing 3 hours. FYI, they bring in the manager that is supposed to "close" the deal and go over the financials -- he is probablybthe rudest person I have ever meant -- he doesnt understand the word "professional" and has no people skills whatsoever.
5. Understand that all the food is way overpriced and so are all the restaurants in the hotel zone. But youre on vacation so what can you do. The only problem I had was the attitude from the management at this hotel. There are too many options for you to look at regarding hotels.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!