“First time in Cancun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan | Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo., Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 35% Plus Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 172 hotels in Cancun
“First time in Cancun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

This was our first trip to Cancun and staying @ the Westin Lagunamar made it even better. We had a 5th flr ocean view studio, perfect for 2 people.
Great staff, helpful concierge and definitely look forward to staying here again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are definitely excited to welcoming you soon! And thank you for your nice comments; we assure you we will be sharing this with all the associates at Westin Lagunamar.
Warm Regards from Cancun!

2,533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I went alone this trip. It was a great trip. We love the Westin Lagunamar. We went last summer with our children and my mom. It was a great time then so we returned for a 5 days get away and it was fantastic again. The resort is heaven sent. It is clean and so beautiful. The employees are helpful and will do anything for you. It was wonderful. Thank you!

Dear Guest,
We are very grateful to read your amazing review, we appreciate your comments and we will share with our team members your fantastic feedback.
Branford CT, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Of all the timeshare properties that I have been to over the years, the Westin Lagunamar is by fat the BEST (sorry, Marriott). Wowee! What a place and where do I start? The hotel is absolutely amazing. Everything about it is above and beyond. So if you are planning a trip here (and what are you waiting for if you aren't) GET PUMPED!
the red carpet treatment starts before you arrive. Your concierge will contact to you prior to you going to see if you need transportation arrangements or any other needs. I am always cautious that they are just a scam to pressure you into a timeshare presentation but they do NOT. I was very relieved about that. They will ask you when you get there but if you say no, they stop.

Arriving at the airport and finding your transportation if you arranged it with the Westin (and you should) is a bit tricky, once outside we couldnt find our person who was suppose to be there with a sign. They were but he was way off in a corner and we couldnt find him for about 10 minutes. That was the only bad thing about the transportation. The rest was great.

Check in was very easy. We were there very early (about 11 am) of course the room wasnt ready but they told us they would try to get it ready earlier if possible and gave us a beeper. We had a lovely poolside lunch and bingo, beeper went off at 1:30 and we went to our villa. Oh my!
We were in building 800 on the 5th floor. Ask for a room on the higher floor, lower floor rooms may have obstructed views due to palm trees. The view is one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. It was so pretty, it looked fake! LOL. You will be in awe. The beach water looks lit up! The villa is wonderful. Everything you could think of. We even had 2 wahsers and dryers! The down side is there is no oven. Yes, there is a convection oven but I had no idea how to work it, so my frozen pizza was soggy. There are worse things in life. Also, the coffee maker was a bit worn and could use replacing. The coffee mugs are SMALL, so if you love a nice big ol cup on joe in the morning and like to sit on your balcony and sip it, bring your own mug from home. Other than those completely MINOR things, the room is devine.

The pool(s): there is a larger pool which is lively and the other pool is quieter. I mean lively in a good way. They have trivia contests (my husband and I WON the TV theme song one) which are really fun. The pool is so nice, its huge! A bit cool, wished it was a bit warmer, but no biggie. There are built in tile loungers in the pool which were very popular. People do come early to mark their spots on the pool chairs so front row is taken early. We are not the type to run down at the crack of dawn to claim them but appears that others do, so if you want front row, be forewarned. We never really had an issue getting a spot at the main pool, and there were plenty of spaces at the quieter pool (too quiet for me, I like a little action). I didnt have kids with me but all the kids seem to be having a great time. Great pool slide for them. The swim up bar is nice, its a fun crowd but I didnt see any obnoxious behavior while I was there. The restaruant at the pool is great. We ate (and drank) there several times and food was always good. Happy hour with 2 for 1 is 3 pm to 4 pm. Westn- you really should extend it another hour.Also, live music during happy hour would be really cool

Now for the service at the pool area and restaurant.... THE HARDEST WORKING GROUP OF SERVERS THAT I HAVE EVER HAD THE HONOR OF MEETING!!! Completely blown away by the service. Someone passes by your lounge chair every few minutes to check on you. They take the time to get to know you (not in an intrusive way) and they will remember and call you by name! A nice touch. They hustle but you never see it as them being rushed or stressed. They are so sweet, relaxed, and fun but they work their butts off to make you happy!!! Mad, mad props go out to them!! OMAR- you ROCK!!!

and I must add that ALL and I mean ALL staff at the Westin are outstanding. Front desk, conceirge, spa staff, housekeeping, maintanence, service, market they are what makes this place spectacular. I cannot say enough good things about them.

The fitness center is nice. I just wish it had a nice view, it doesnt. I would have loved to overlook the ocean while on the treadmill but oh well, I should have just run on the beach, right? And ps, the beach is beautiful and the water is like bath water, wave are fun too!!

Getting around Cancun is very easy, and we felt very safe. The bus picks you up right outside the hotel, and I swear they run every 30 seconds. Pay in peso and dont expect the driver to speak much english. Know where you are going ahead of time. We got off too soon for Walmart and got a bit scared for a moment but a nice Canunian took pity on us and walked us over there! We were a bit suspicious that he was willing to help us but he was and he did and asked nothing in return. Walmart is quite an experience, the mexican pastries in the bakery looked amazing! We took a cab back to hotel with all our groceries for 15 usd and had a such a nice driver. The taxis wait right outside the front door of Walmart, or you could take the bus back.

We had a lovely night at Margaritiville on "Country night", that was really fun. Great place. Nice pour. Whatever you do, stay away from the slide at Senor Frogs. NASTY!! it lands in the lagoon and water is GROSS! I cant believe anyone goes down it, so if u get a few pops in you and feel game, think again, if you end up with a rash (best case scenario) dont say I didnt warn you!!

The couples massage with Carlos and Marcella at the beach cabana was dreamy. Best massage EVER and they gave us a slice of cake for our anniversary which was so nice of them.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a top notch resort!!! and although I like to try new places and hotels, I am seriously thinking of going back next year. Its THAT good.

Room Tip: high floor overlooking main pool.
Dear Guest,
On Behalf of the entire staff of Westin Lagunamar we thank you for writing your amazing comments about your recent stay with us, and thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts.Your loyalty is very valuable to us. Your great comments about the members of our staff will be shared with each of them. We hope to welcome you back near future.
Best Regards,
Dayville, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We recently completed our second trip here a few weeks ago, and look forward to the chance to go again..... in fact, we loved it so much the first time we went that we decided to become owners, which gave us the opportunity to bring along the 'extended' family for this most recent trip.

My wife and I travel a fair amount, but it was the first time out of the country for my parents and siblings. The staff at the Lagunamar helped to make their first trip abroad an easy experience and were able to help with anything that came up (Lucio at the concierge desk deserves a special mention.... his personal attention to me and my family was amazing throughout the week).

The resort itself is perfect for a relaxing beach vacation, either as a couple or for a family trip. The beach always felt very uncrowded with plenty of space to choose where you wanted to lounge out. We burn pretty easily and never had difficulty finding great shady lounge locations when we needed a break from the sun. Finding a group of prime seats around the pool gets a little challenging during the mid to late afternoon hours, but there were pretty much always at least a pair available in our preferred area (but always plenty elsewhere). The food and drinks were great at the poolside grill.... and you can't beat happy hour at the swim up bar! Staff were all friendly and great... but Jorge, one of the bartenders at the poolside bars, deserves a special mention as well... he was attentive and awesome all around!

Villas are spacious and really have everything you need. The kitchens in each unit are great when you want to pop up for a quick snack or need a break from eating out and want to cook a simple dinner for yourselves. And I can't overstate how convenient it is to have a washer and dryer in each room..... you can pack way less and just run a quick load whenever you want to get the sand or sun screen out of whatever you brought down to the beach.

So yeah.... to sum up.... don't hesitate, book a trip here, you'll love it!

Room Tip: You can't go too wrong with room selection because the resort really is laid out in a way that g...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Massena, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

It truly is like waking up each and every morning in paradise! The view, the weather, the accommodation.....all first rate! Friendly staff that actually remember you by name blew us away. Great food, great activities, and all within walking distance of the Hotel Zone's attractions. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for nice comments about our friendly staff and accommodations. Thank you for choosing our resort for your refreshing stay!
We hope to welcome you near future!
Warm Regards from Cancún
Covington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Once again had a great time and the staff again went above and beyond in taking care of us and treating us like part of a family. Very clean resort with lots of hard working staff to take care of your needs. Breakfast everyday at the Oceana was beyond great. A relaxing resort. You won't be dissapointed in your stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
We would like to say thank you for your comments about our nice and friendly staff and for choosing The Westin Lagunamar again. Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Resorts and Hotels .We hope to welcome you near future so you can experience the enhancements of our new Westin Heavenly Spa.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We have visited this property several times and it never fails to impress. We were lucky enough to be there when the Heavenly Spa opened for business on Tuesday, May 21st. My husband and I both had the heavenly massage and I also enjoyed the spa pedicure. The spa was beautiful. It isn't a large spa, which I tend to like better...the smaller the spa, the fewer people are there during your experience which makes it all the more relaxing. The facility was wonderful. Whirlpool, steam room, sauna and amazing shower in the locker room. The staff was friendly and attentive and the treatments were outstanding. I will definitely be returning to the Westin and most definitely be enjoying the spa facilities again. Excellent job!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are proud of ourselves by reading this spectacular review. Our brand new Heavenly Spa by Westin is now opened and as you wrote has amazing amenities to welcome all our valuable guests.
Thank you for posting this and for being such a loyal guest of Westin Lagunamar. We are excited to welcome you back soon!
Warm Regards from Cancún!
The Westin Lagunamar Management Team

Been to The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!