“Good with room to grow” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

You added The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan | Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo., Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Rate Guaranteed
Ranked #12 of 178 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
McHenry, Illinois
“Good with room to grow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful stay in Cancun, enjoying our stay at the Westin very much. Almost every staff member we encountered was very helpful and friendly although sometimes service was slow - or the person simply didn't know how to go about solving a problem. The common areas of the hotel and pool are kept very clean and fresh in appearance, even with considerable traffic each day. I saw service people cleaning those areas, inconspicuously, very often. Beach towels are easy to get and refresh as needed. There is a nice area to rinse off sand from the beach - one for just the feet and another to shower off the ocean salt water. Lounge chairs and umbrella/cabanas are at both the pool and the beach. Beware, however - you must put a towel out by 7am on busy days or you won't find a lounge chair. Towels on unoccupied chairs are not removed, contrary to what the Westin publishes. The business center offers free and reliable internet access and a free printer; this is nice as wifi in the rooms is unreliable. The location is wonderful - the ocean is amazing and there are restaurants and shopping just across the street.
Our studio room was very comfortable and the view from our balcony simply outstanding. While I had been hoping for a different building, it appears that any room on floor 3 or higher probably has a beautiful view! We used the ice from the ice maker, but did not drink any water at the resort (personal choice to use bottled, just in case)
Room to grow: Westins assign guests a "personal concierge" - our concierge never contacted us during our stay and our attempts to contact him with our questions were never successful. We sought out others who helped us, but this was unusual for a Westin property to drop the ball . Our bathroom was noticeably unclean upon arrival and housekeeping didn't offer a solution, such as 'we'll come up and clean it now.' We had to ask for a cleaning, which we were told would be the next day. The next day, we checked and were told it wasn't our day for a cleaning; clearly our problem hadn't been notated. It took several calls on Day 2 for the bathroom to be cleaned. Things happen, but not to get a faster response on such a critical area in our room was very disappointing and quite frankly, but an initial damper on our stay. Finally, our sofa had some stains on it, small but pretty noticeable. Wear and tear happens, but again, this is not what we usually see when staying at a Westin property.
I would definitely stay at this property again! None of the "need for improvements" were so serious to cause me not to recommend this property to others. However, I do see a need for further oversight and training by management to boost up some areas of customer service.

Room Tip: For a ocean view, rooms on the third floor and higher are probably best.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. We welcome and appreciate every piece of feedback we receive there is always room to grow and we want to give our guests the best service and experience as Westin Lagunamar is used to. We apologize for those inconveniences you had and it is our mission to improve and grow up every day for our valuable guests.
We hope to welcome you near future.
Warm Regards,
The Westin Lagunamar Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed here in March 2013, before booking I thought I was paying a little bit more than other hotels but it was all worth it. We got a studio villa and it was roomy, fully stocked kitchentte (dishwasher, gas stove top) to my surprise there was a washer and dryer in the room as well. The pools were great there was always a place to lounge, they offer lounge chairs on the beach as wll. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest, We would like to thank you for your kind review of our resort. We greatly appreciate your comments about our facilities.We hope you have found a new ""home away from home"" and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We just got got back from this hotel this afternoon. We stayed 6 days. I relied heavily on the Tripadvisor reviews when choosing it so I feel a sense of responsibility to provide the same. The hotel was very clean - in fact, we noticed people cleaning all the time. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, in some cases, dropping everything and tripping over themselves to help us. It reaffirmed my love for Mexico and its people. On a few occasions we encountered unfriendly staff, but by far, most of the people at this hotel were awesome. We felt, however, that the hotel was understaffed with service people. It took forever to get a drink by the pool and even to get served at the swim up bar - I stood there for 25 minutes before I got served on one occasion. Also, at dinner, it took forever for the waiter to bring us our check. Again, the people were great, there just did not seem to be enough of them to go around. Some of the food at the hotel was great, some not - it took us awhile to figure out what was good and then we just kept ordering it over and over (chicken tacos, not fish or steak!) For that strip of hotels, the location is fantastic with a full-on, high end mall being right across the street. There are plenty of places to eat in that mall and the food was good at the places we went over there. The ocean is not super swimmable - very rough - and it was windy during our stay so the beach was great to look at, but not the best for swimming or hanging out. We spent most of our time at the pool for this reason. They put flags up to indicate beach safety and they were red every day with the exception of the one by the lifeguard which was yellow - I guess because he could potentially save you. The view from our room was fantastic. We stayed in building 11 on the 7th floor.

We were with a party of 10 people (kids and adults) and every single one of us had diarrhea almost the entire time. We never figured out what was causing it, but our main suspicion was the ice the hotel used in our drinks. The hotel claims that their water is filtered, but none of us trusted that and we consumed only bottled water and even brushed our teeth with it the entire time. We all ate different things, but we did all have the same ice. I have never gotten sick on any of my previous visits to Mexico so I was very surprised this happened. It definitely put a damper on our trip.

We had never been to this strip of hotels in Cancun and wanted to try it. I have stayed in Mexico at other locations many times (Mexican Riviera and Cabo). This strip of hotel after hotel in Cancun felt very commercial and with the mall being across the street, we all said it was more like being in California than Mexico. For this reason, and the sickness we encountered, we will not return to this location - the hotel was fine, but nothing special, and it wasn't cheap.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience and comments, we are delighted to read the nice part of your stay and your comments about service and lack of staff are well received and being taken care. This is why we appreciate and read every review from our valuable guests. If you give us the opportunity to welcome you again, with the changes and enhancements we assure you a truly, refreshing and relaxing experience with us at Westin Lagunamar.
Please feel free to contact the Management Team at: lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com for further assistance and future reservations.
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were very disappointed with our experience at this resort. We were expecting much more from a Westin. There is little to no service from anyone and when we decided we had had enough of the place after 1 night and we asked about moving elsewhere, we were never asked why we wanted to leave. The staff seem very indifferent to the guests. The room itself was average, but was very poorly air-conditioned and felt perpetually damp and it also had a terrible door. The location and pool are quite nice, but did not make up for the lack of service. The hotel does not feel like a hotel at all, but rather a set of time-share condos; which is fine if that is what you are looking for.

Dear Guest,

The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests, and please accept our apologies. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for further assistance and for more information. We appreciate every piece of feedback from our valuable guest.

Please receive our warmest regards in behalf the Westin Lagunamar Management Team
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First let me say that we are owners in the Westin Vacation Network and this is the 4th different property we've stayed at.

Workers are very friendly but not particularly problem solvers. When we checked in a glob of shampoo was still in the shower along with a old bandage. It took 2 phone calls and 12 hours to get the shower cleaned. And when I reported the problem I had to request the cleaning, it was not offered. We stayed 8 nights instead of the usual 7 but they goofed and were cleaning out our room for the next guests when we were coming back from breakfast.

I had never stayed in a studio before and didn't see an ice maker. I called and asked about ice and was directed to any of the hotel bars. Ok. When I asked for a bucket of ice for my room, the bartender dug up a styrofoam container to fill. I kept the "ice bucket" in the bottom of the mini fridge so it wouldn't leak on anything. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the ice being more frozen the next morning. Turns out there was a small icemaker that needed its lever flipped. I can't for the life of me understand why I was told about the icemaker when I asked where to get ice.

But these aren't things to ruin a vacation. As an owner I'd like them not to be problems so the WLOR is a very desirable destination.

The beach and pools are gorgeous. The location at KM 12.5 is great too. The grounds are spotless and happy hour 2 for 1 is a good deal. The rooms are very nice.

We were in building 6 and the view looking over the pools and to the ocean was fantastic. We found the rooms to be sound proof.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this feedback, it is well received and helpful, and allow us to enforce details and keep doing that our guest experiences a perfect stay. Our beautiful infinity pools, paradise beaches and very nice Villas becomes all in one to give our valuable guests a relaxing and refreshing Westin Lagunamar experience. Thank you again and please come back to visit us soon!

Regina, SK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We moved to the Westin Lagunamar for 4 nights at the end of a 6 week vacation in Playa Del Carmen (5 weeks) and Cancun (1 week). What a perfect hotel to end our holiday in. We had a studio, which was perfect for our needs. We still had some groceries left from the previous weeks and were able to use them. The BBQ's, were fantastic and kept spotless. The kitchen is extremely well equiped with everything you could possibly need and, I might add of very high quality. There was a washer and dryer in the unit which also came with laundry detergent.
We were staying as hotel guests, not vacation week so we had full housekeeping daily. Westin "Heavenly Bed and Bathroom" (with jacuzzi) which are always superior.
The view from the room amazing.
There was always a lounge chair on either the beach or by the pool, and the hotel on the two weekend days was busy. Good service on the beach. They have a posted rule that all towels will be removed before 9 am if you are not using them. Perhaps that works, there did not seem to be any chairs left unused all day, as is often the case at resorts.
We ate at the restaurant by the pool and the food was very good.
The location in Cancun is excellent - quiet on the Ocean Side and lots to do on the street side with the mall opposite and bus stop right outside the door.
Management was fantastic and let us have a late checkout, which helped us with our 5:30 pm flight.
The only reason I downgraded service was because they forgot our room and we had to phone to have it made up on the first day - it was 5:30, by the time they got there.
We had the opportunity to look at a 1 bedroom unit - even nicer than the studio.
We liked it so well that we plan on staying again in 2014.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor so the view was spectacular. They can join a studio and 1 bedroom to mak...
Dear Guest,
Your review shows the real Westin Lagunamar experience, thank you for sharing your comments!!
Our highest mission is to provide the exact service and facilities that our guests want, deserve, and expect. We look forward to welcome you next year!
Warm Regards from Cancun!
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Here is a review of our recent trip. We have 2 boys(a bit older in age-15 and 13) but here is the good...and the areas for improvement.

First, I am a Lifetime Platinum Member and have stayed at numerous Westin, Sheraton, Aloft and Element properties thru the Starwood system. This by far, is the most beautiful location I have ever seen. We were there during Spring Break and I was not sure what to expect but I never once felt overwhelmed by people in this small piece of Paradise on the Yucatan Peninsula. It is simply located in a PERFECT part of the world and my family loved that part of the trip.

I booked thru the Platinum Number(I was going to go thru SPG.COM) and the package I got was the INDULGE package which included wine/strawberries on arrival, a LATE CHECK OUT TIME(although they tell you it is impossible) and 2 breakfasts each day in room as part of my rate. I was thrilled at the rate but we DID NOT receive the wine/stawberries on arrival. As I wanted to make sure the check out time was good I was told NO!!! Check out is 10am. This got me riled up a bit and I went to work.

Our personal concierage(Celen) received an email with the confirmation of my package and rate that included the late check out time of 4PM. No where in it did it say this was NOT part of my rate or that it was based on availability. Celene was very gracious and went to work immediately and after a little bit of back and forth we did get the late check out as it was part of my agreed upon rate. We finally got wine and berries on the last day as well as I brought that to their attention and made it right. The only regret...is I should not have to raise a stink to get what I paid for. Celene agreed...went to work...and resolved it all for us. We left very happy to have had basically a full day to relax and resort before going home.

ACCOMODATIONS: Glorious. We were located in buidling 3(there are 14 buildings) and on 8th floor(top floor). The views are spectacular. The rooms? I thought they were absolutely perfect. My wife and I had a huge bedroom and bed with a great balcony overlooking pools, beach and ocean. The living room was where the couch and pull out bed for our 2 boys was just perfectly sized as well. Great accomodations with a full kitchen(only small thing missing to me was an oven) and dining table with seating for 6 people. We took advantage, went shopping at ate in on 2 of our 5 nights at the hotel in our room(used the grills outside to grill out!!). The huge bathroom was also perfect for my wife as she has issues wallking so she had a ton of room to walk around.

Pool? Amazing. Temp was great. Swim up bar was a blast and kids loved Happy Hour every day at 3 to 4 PM(non alcohol of course).
Beach? Spectacular. Clean. Water was just crazy blue and we went down and got in water nearly every day. Was a great experience to feel waves crashing in on you and playing with family.
Food? Good....but not great. Which is OKAY for me. I though Oceana was good for a dinner on first night and the restaurant by pool was good for lunch one day as well. I have a hard time relaxing(very type A) so if you are in a hurry....you will suffer. I actually was good with the LAID BACK service and I always tried to remember I was on vacation, with my family, in PARADISE!!!

Location? Perfect. Great mall next door with a free standing Starbucks I went to every AM as family slept. The buses were great to take us downtown a few times and to flea market.

People: Our conciereage(already mentioned Celene) was just outstanding!!! She handled all dinner reservations for us, our tour of the facility(sales pitch...we enjoyed it) and finally the details of my room and checkout. She has been there a long time, and you can tell she take pride in her job. Just great. We left our room every day around 10 to 1030 at latest and by time we got done(usually at pool) by 430 to 5 the rooms were ALWAYS made up...nice and fresh!!!

Finally: We are going back. Despite a bit of disappointment at end of trip(that was resolved) we are going back again as part of the Explorer Package(ownership). We loved it. Had a blast...and were thrilled to have made a decision to go to Westin Lagunamar in beautiful Cancun, Mexico!!

Room Tip: Building 1,2 or 3 or on other side directly across
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for taking the time to post this great and detailed family experience! We are glad to read that you had a blast in our resort, and that we made it right, the location we have is the best and we are always looking forward to exceed our guest expectations, we assure you we recognize our valuable staff too, and we welcome every piece of feedback from valuable guests like you. Please come back near future and we will be more than happy to welcome you!
Warm Regards from Cancun!
The Westin Lagunamar Management Team

Been to The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!