“Not the Westin Hotel we had expected” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan | Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo., Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 173 Hotels in Cancun
Urbana, Illinois
“Not the Westin Hotel we had expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on December of 2012. This is does not like Westin Hotels we have stayed in other places. It is more of time-share place with very limited service. The front desk that checked us in closed at 9pm and we had to walk all the way to another building for any service. This is not the biggest problem for me. What I don't understand is that they set the check-out time at 10am and does not allow any exception. With the check-in time at 4pm (we did not get our room until then). Such very late check-in and then extremely early check-out time is quite unfair, are the worst among the hotels I have stayed (I travel on business quite a bit). When I called the front desk to ask why and I was told this is the rule and they have to follow, without any exception. I will not stay at this place again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for any further assistance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

After the challenges from the first hotel we decided to extend our trip and stay at the Westin. Our wonderful experience here made our trip worth extending the trip. The beachfront is beautiful, the rooms are clean, comfortable and views are great. The staff was accommodating, genuine and efficient. We would go back to this resort in a heartbeat. If you are even thinking about staying here, think no more and just book it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We visited the Lagunamar in September. Some friends had a timeshare, and we booked a week online. Everyone had an awesome time.

The Rooms:
We stayed in a small lock out room. It was nicely decorated with a large shower, terrace, kitchenette and washer and dryer. Our friends had a deluxe suite--which was also nice and well maintained.

The Property:
My friends left their kids at home, we brought our son. Everyone in the group loved the water slide, and the adults had a great time at the beach and the swim up bar. The bartenders were nice and friendly. They made a great trip memorable--even for our son, serving him a variety of mocktails!

One special thing about this property: there are ancient ruins on the property. My son and husband had a nice time checking them out--they were small, close to the property and unique.

This hotel is also across the street from the mall. If you get tired of the hotel, you can cross the street and visit Senor Frog's, Hooters or Johnny Rockets. There's also a Zara across the street. A big plus for my girlfriend as she doesn't live near one.

The Only Ding:
The spa was under construction when we were there. Thus, we had to walk to another hotel for services. The concierge was oddly not helpful in helping us find another spa--which was sort of a surprise to me, because everyone--the waiters at breakfast, the doormen, the pool waiters and bartenders were amazing. For some reason the concierge was dismissive and not very helpful. I wouldn't mention this, except my friend is a timeshare owner and I am not. Both of us were taken aback by their lack of service. I ended up making my own dinner reservations and spa services--so if I were returning I might do a little more research first---or ask the salesgirls at Zara. Despite that, I really loved the hotel and would return!!! It's a rare property that's great for families and couples.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is a fantastic resort. Great location, beautiful beach, views from all the rooms, friendly staff and fabulous pools. We spent most of our time on the newer side of the resort and while they had some staffing issues (not quality, mainly quantity) I think they will work it out. Everyone by the pool was fabulous (Joaquin especially!!). My only complaint was the consistency of service @ Oceana. We went there for breakfast and was told is was buffet, eat in only. Then proceeded to watch half a dozen people use to go boxes and order a la carte items. Not that big of deal but it did prevent us from returning to that particular restaurant. Additional shout out to Maggie @ the concierge desk for recommending a great outing @ Dolphin Discovery. We will definitely be back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for such a nice review, nothing makes us feel better than knowing our guests left the property feeling better than when thay arrived. Please come back to visit us soon here at your second home in the Mexican Caribbean.

Best Regards,

The Westin Lagunamar Management Team.
boston, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this property over christmas week and had a great time. The good parts of the property: 1. the location is great, beautiful beach, easy walk across the street to starbucks at La Isla mall, short bus ride to anywhere you want to go; 2. the rooms are very nice, ocean view, balcony, complete kitchen, and full washer and dryer which was really great and a dvd player; 3. the small market on the property was great for getting bottled water (6 L bottle was about $7 US) and also for basic supplies (pasta and sauce, baguette and cheese, etc) and free movies; 4. the activity center offered some free fun activities including water aerobics and games every afternoon by the pool (the staff of the activity center including Carlos and Rene were outstanding); 6. the food on the property was good (hamburger at pool bar was excellent and desserts at Duna Bar also very good); 7. the pools are amazing very large, clean, and not crowded (I swam laps for an hour every morning without any problems); 8. the small mayan ruins on the property offer an excellent view of the beach and are interesting and worth the short walk to see them; and 9. on the day of check in we arrived early at noon and could not check in but we were told we could use the workout room to change for the pool (this was great because there are free lockers, showers and sauna) so we were able to spend the afternoon at the pool the day we arrived and just collect our bags and go to the room at 4pm. The not so good: 1. the wifi does not work (but we knew this before we left from reviews on TA and just went every day to Starbucks to use free wifi there) we did not care we were on vacation; 2. the timing for cleaning the rooms seems to be variable (although it was over a holiday so we assumed this was part of the reason) but when the room was cleaned it was nicely done; 3. the ocean is rough and the lounge chairs on the beach are not that comfortable (there is really no service or activities on the beach from the hotel but there are lifeguards which is needed); 4. studio rooms only have king bed and sofa bed (so someone has to sleep on sofa bed if you are not a couple).
Overall it was great for what we wanted sun and a rest and we spent less than half the price we paid at Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman last summer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Canton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was my first trip to Cancun and I was amazed at how beautiful the property was. This is a first class resort from the moment you are greeted by the concierge to your first step into your villa. The rooms are very large and every room has an ocean front view (gorgeous). First I would like to thank Mitzi V.she worked with me even before I arrived in Cancun and help to make my vacation the best ever with all the thought and work she put into it. I couldnt of asked for a better view or room. I also want to thank my personal concierge, Rafael H. He was truly amazing, helped book all my day trips and much advice on locations top visit during my stay. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel special. The location couldnt be better either, right across from the biggest mall in Cancun. Make sure you go and eat outside along the water. Many great restaurants that you can also eat outside as well. Make sure to go on the day trip to Chichen Itza, the Mayan ruins. Ask the concierge about this day trip, it is worth every penny. The pool is the best in all of Cancun, actually they have 2 pools. The infinity pool is also relaxing. I will definitely go back to this resort, hopefully someday soon!

Room Tip: Every room is oceon view and great! Walk on the beach early for great shells
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Loved the beautiful pools, the water slide, the hot tubs, and the beach - this property has got to be one of the best oceanfront resorts I've been to.

The location is great with the La Isla mall right across the road - where you can find some more dining options (some of them really good along the lagoon).

Service was not so great:
-Bell boys lost our bags and it took them several hours to finally find them (and only after we called to complain...)
- We were treated rudely by the restaurant staff at breakfast. We had the continental breakfast, so went in to get the cereal and some juice. A few minutes after sitting at our table, a waiter showed up to tell us we were not allowed to go into the buffet, and that we need to ask him if there is anything we want. Since we already had the cereal and juice he said- "now you can get a fruit plate, but don't go in". My partner asked for more cereal, and when the waiter arrived with it (after taking his time), he brought the wrong milk. My partner said don't worry, I'll just go get some, and at that point the waiter started complaining to me that we were giving him problems, asking if anyone had even seated us there, and that it was our fault for not knowing their rules.
- Another incident at checkout when the security guard would not let us leave because he thought (wrongly) that we hadn't paid the check.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar Resort and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort. The oportunities you encountered are not indicative of the service we provide to our guests. If you wish to contact the Executive Offices please write us an email to wlrgm@starwoodvo.com

Regards,

Been to The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!