“top quality at a great price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan | Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo., Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Cancun
Boston, Massachusetts
“top quality at a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel had everything I wanted. great dining, an amazing view, spotless huge room, comfortable bed. The staff was amazing with the exception of I didn't like being nagged to get a timeshare but otherwise, perfect. Definitely glad I chose this over an all inclusive.

Room Tip: being a starwood member gets you free upgrades if available or oversold!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest ,

It makes us so happy to receive these kind of comments, thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar as your Caribbean Getaway. We would love to host you again in a near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Regina, SK, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children ages 11 and 8) stayed at the Westin Lagunamar Resort from November 24th to December 1st, 2012.

We arrived at Cancun International Airport at 8pm and I warned my kids: "I've read reviews on TripAdvisor that you should not stop for anyone in the airport, and proceed directly outside to find the Westin transportation representative wearing the light green shirt". No sooner had I go the words out then a "Tourism Official" (in a blue shirt) approached us and asked us where we were headed. I told him The Westin Lagunamar and he advised that he would get us there, and he would arrange for a free lunch tomorrow, and free tickets to Xel Ha or Xcaret. My kids started giggling and said in quiet voices that "you shouldn't have stopped Daddy, this guy is clearly a timeshare salesman". So, we firmly said no thanks and walked away (while the salesman kept talking: "C'mon senor, it will just take a Mexican minute of your time". We all had a good laugh at this and headed out to the waiting Westin shuttle.

We had arranged the shuttle in advance of the trip, and it was waiting for us right on schedule. It was a modern, clean 12 passenger van and the driver was very courteous. The cost of the round-trip shuttle was $70 US which we paid to The Westin upon arrival.

Check-in was very fast and pleasant. A bellhop took our bags up to our rooms and he was very polite and described many of the amenities of the resort. We were initially assigned Villas 267 and 268 (Building #2, 6th Floor, Villas 7 and 8). We were disappointed that these villas overlooked the hotel next door and just had a partial view of the ocean. We were hoping for better views of the ocean and the resort pools. It had been a long day of travelling for the kids so we agreed that we would address the room assignment in the morning.

The next morning we went to the front desk and asked if there was a chance that we could change villas. The clerk obliged and told us that Villas 1033 and 1034 would be available later in the day. We agreed to the switch and at the assigned time they sent up the bellhop to help us with our luggage. The switch was very easy.

We were all happy we made the switch, the view of the pools and ocean were beautiful and the room was newer and in better condition (shower doors sealed tightly so no leaks and the furniture showed no wear at all, it appeared our son was the first user of the sofa bed). All appliances and electronics in the villas worked flawlessly.

That day, on the recommendation of the concierge, we took the Route #2 bus to Walmart to pick up grocery supplies for the week. The bus was only 8.50 pesos per person and it was a smooth 20 minute ride to Walmart. Grocery prices were about the same as a Canadian / US supermarket.

The concierge also suggested that we take a tour of the Westin (Starwood Program). We are owners at a timeshare and this stay at the Westin Lagunamar was through an Interval Getaway, so we knew what to expect from the offer. We asked what the tour might get us. The concierge explained that she could get us a $50 per person discount on the dolphin swim (in the Aquarium in the La Isla Mall across the street), as well as $100 that could be used towards any purchases at the Westin. So, we agreed to attend the tour later in the week (it turned out to be quite informative, low pressure, and the sales agent as well as his manager were very friendly and understanding when we said "no thanks"). While we attended the tour our kids played ping pong and XBox in the kids club and said the supervisors were very nice.

As for the resort, our villas were just like the photos on this site indicate and we loved the beds and huge baths (jacuzzi tub in each villa). Good water pressure and we drank the water from the room taps all week long with no issues. The televisions and Bose sound stations were great but the Westin could have more english channels. WiFi was spotty all week as others have described.

The pools at the resort are amazing and the waterslide was fun for all. The week we were there was windy, with high ocean waves, so there were red flags up and down the hotel zone beaches indicating no swimming allowed. The Westin, however, always had a small section with yellow flags where you were allowed to swim. This is because there is a sand bar about 50 meters from shore and the big waves break before the sand bar so there is a relatively calmer area of ocean between the shore and the sand bar where it was safe to swim each day. The ocean water was aqua blue and nearly bathwater warm. We were in ocean for a couple of hours each day just bodysurfing, collecting shells, etc.

The hotel restaurants were fine. Viento pool bar served good sandwiches, burgers, chicken fingers at reasonable prices (if you attend the timeshare presentation they will give you a 20% off resort dining card). Oceano served an Italian buffet one night. It was pricey at $30 per adult and $15 per kid, plus drinks and tips but is was a lovely atmosphere and there was enough variety to keep even our 8 year old happy.

For the rest of our meals, we made breakfast in our villa each morning, and then we would have suppers at one of the restaurants in the La Isla Mall across the street (very, very convenient 2 minute walk from villa to mall). The mall has everything from fine dining Thai, Indian, Italian, or moderately priced chains like Chilis, Hooters, etc. We ate a couple of meals at Taco Grill which faced the lagoon. The food was wonderful and was only about 600 pesos for 4 of us to eat ($50 US / CDN). Also ate Hugo de Limon and sat at tables overlooking the dolphin show. Very fun for the kids.

All in all, it was just a relaxing beach holiday for us and we think that the Westin Lagunamar fit the bill perfectly. Our kids are already asking when we can go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for all of that wonderful feedback. We listen to every piece of feedback our guests provide us. Our highest mission is to provide the exact service and facilities that our guests want, deserve, and expect. We also, would like to inform you that we will share your comments with the team and followed up internally.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Westin Lagunamar in a near future.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

As of today, the Westin in Lagunamar is currently ranked as the 17th best hotel in Cancun; and that’s about where it belongs in my opinion. It’s a nice place to take your children (more of a family feel) for a beach vacation, but lacks many of the little touches that would make it a truly special vacation experience. In summary, it’s not bad but not quite good enough to fully endorse.

Yes, the pools (plenty of chairs available), beach (clean, soft sand), and ocean (life-guards on duty and an area set aside for swimming) were spectacular. No question about it. Beautiful. In addition, the property is conveniently located from the airport (about a 20-minute taxi), is immaculately maintained, and had friendly staff. But, the Westin has some work to do to tie up loose ends. Nothing dire by any means, but still lots of little inconveniences for a top-20 property.

My wife, daughter and I arrived the Monday after Thanksgiving, which is considered a slower business week in Cancun. We were told the Westin was at about half capacity, yet, no room was ready upon our arrival (11:00 AM). We were asked to wait until 4:00 PM to check in. Frankly, based on occupancy, there was no reason why a room shouldn’t have been ready, and this is never a great way to start your vacation.

“Welcome to the Westin… you will need to find something to do for the next five hours until your room is ready.”

Once we got our room, I was a little disappointed that we were placed in a building undergoing some room construction (hammering, electric saw, etc.). This is a large property with plenty of room options. They also placed us next to the elevator shaft. So, the bed headboard was literally on the wall that separated the room from the elevator. Not well designed. To solve the problem of elevator motor noise throughout the night, we kept our microwave fan on. Simply put, we replaced one annoying sound with another.

We also didn’t have a working television. It took three days, three front desk phone calls, and two personal visits to get the problem finally resolved. (We have a five-year-old daughter, otherwise I could have cared less about the television). Our alarm clock didn’t work. Our blow dryer didn’t work. We didn’t have a drain-plug in our tub for baths. We weren’t provided sheets or blankets for our daughter’s sofa bed. Fresh bath towels weren’t provided at times during the week.

Again, not dire stuff but issues that should never occur at a resort hotel. Perhaps they needed more time to get our room ready? Ok, that was a cheap shot.

I didn’t bother complaining much after the television situation. I didn’t want to be “the guy” who spends his vacation complaining (I’d prefer that my blood pressure goes down on vacation) so I decided to sit at the pool and relax instead—with my beach towel card in hand. Yes, as you have read, you need a card for a beach towel. I found it an odd practice and it looked cheap. With only a quarter of the pool chairs occupied on the busiest pool day, there was no need for pool cards, chair time limits, or towel restrictions. As a side note, based on the condition of the towels, the hotel should welcome those willing to take them.

On the brighter side, we did enjoy our patio and ocean view. The washer and dryer were nice options too. It was also refreshing that we were never approached to purchase a time-share. You’re across the street from the La Isla mall which offers you some additional dining options and shopping. We ate at most of the non-American based restaurants at La Isla during our stay. None were spectacular. Very commercialized and processed. We’ve had better Mexican cuisine here in Chicago. But then again, most people don’t go to Mexico for great dining.

In summary, if you decide to stay at the Westin in Cancun, heed the following advice:

1. Don’t get a room next to the elevator shaft. Seriously.
2. Bring a hundred dollars in $1 and $5 bills for tipping. Everyone is looking for a tip in Mexico and the Westin staff are no different. Truth be told, by the end of our trip, I think I even asked for tip when I held the elevator door for a fellow guest. Bellmen, cleaning staff, bar staff, restaurant staff, maintenance guys, even the convenience store employees. My wife and I have traveled around the world and I have never seen tipping like I have in Mexico. If you don’t give a tip (or don’t give a good one), the employees can look insulted. In my opinion, it blurs the line between staff who generally want to help as part of their paid job, and those who only want to help because they will be paid extra to do so. I don’t blame the Westin for the culture of tipping in Mexico by any means—but it should be noted.
3. Upgrade your room. Upgrading won’t cost you a whole lot more and you tend to get better building locations and views, and the extra space is a premium. Standard rooms are a little small—especially if traveling with a child.
4. Don’t shop at the Westin’s convenience store. We spent $75.00 on water, sun tan lotion, coffee, and a few other incidental items. Go to Wal-Mart or visit the small market store at La Isla.
5. Don’t drink the water or order drinks with ice. Be warned. This includes the water in the work-out room. Both my wife and I got sick during our stay. So did a number of travelers we met. It’s one of the few trips we’ve ever taken where we actually lost weight. (Perahps that should be part of their marketing campaign.) Make your coffee in your room with bottled water.
6. Use the work-out room at noon or in the early afternoon. There were long waits for machines in the morning hours (and again, the Westin was not fully booked) but empty around lunch time. Sun is ample in the morning and it was a nice break to get into the shade and work out for an hour mid-day.
7. Book your round-trip transportation before you leave the airport. Save time. Right before you hit the last sliding doors to exit the airport there is a circular taxi stand inside. If you book your return trip, you get a price reduction. A private taxi cost us $96.00 round trip (tip extra of course.. see point #2). A shuttle is also an option for about $16.00 a passenger, but for the extra couple bucks, the taxi provided no extra stops or hassle. We called the day prior to our departure to set up the return trip to the airport and they were waiting for us at check-out.
8. Allow a Westin photographer to take some pictures of you/family. I got to tell you, we were shocked how well they turned out. Very professional, reasonably priced, and you only have to buy if you like ($10 a picture).
9. Tax-back promotion a hassle. This is a selling point by retail vendors but read the guidelines first. You might find it a great use of time for the money, but I didn’t.
10. Bring dryer sheets. Someone offered this advice in a previous post and it was appreciated.

Bonus tip. Don't be a knucklehead like me and wear $400 sunglasses into the ocean. The waves and currents are very strong and despite your best efforts, you will get nailed every so often by an unexpected wave. I did. Knocked me right off my feet and under the water. (In a related item, if you happen to find a pair of Hugo Boss sunglass on the beach, please respond to my post for a reward!)

While you could surely do a lot worse than the Westin, with sixteen better ranked hotels, you might want to consider other options. Regardless, good luck in your research and enjoy your trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for future reservation requests.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Went with the family in June 2012 and had a great time. It located across from the La Isla mall, which allowed us to go across the street and avoid their over priced restaurants. We did eat at their pool side restaurant a couple times and the food was pretty good. The pool was great and they have a nice kiddie pool too. The room was perfect...it had a mini kitchen, which allowed us to wash our toddler's cups. It also had a washer and dryer in the room so we didn't have to take home sandy clothes and the hotel provided all the soap. We had an ocean view room with a nice balcony. Overall, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay their again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you fo your review, nothing makes us feel better than knowing our guests left the property feeling better than when thay arrived. Please come back to visit us soon here at your second home in the Mexican Caribbean
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The location is excellent and the beach was great! You are close to la isla mall, restaurants, other hotels. You will like this place and especially if you get a good deal. We had an ocean view room which most of the rooms if not all of them do. We went over to the new side which was recently completed and it is much quieter if you want some peace and quiet.

Room Tip: The location is excellent and the beach was great! You are close to la isla mall, restaurants, othe...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of our resort. We greatly appreciate your comments . We hope you have found a new "home away from home" and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!!
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is an excellent location, right on beach and directly across street from La Isla shopping with bars, restaurants, shopping and movie theatre plus aquarium. This is a huge resort with 2+ pools and plenty of beach seating. The food was just Ok. Breakfast buffet was very expensive for what you had to choose from. Luckily ala carte was available. Lunch by pool was hit and miss for quality of food. Dinner was something we choose to go out for instead of eating at resort. There are 2 pools, one smaller quieter pool with metal railing between pool and beach and another larger infinity pool that was very popular - so much so that people were putting towels on chairs by 6am even though resort stated they had a 'no-reserve' chair policy. The chairs on the south side of the pool were in the shade by 2pm. This resort had tons of kids and they were yelling, screaming, crying and occupying the hot tubs all day (regardless of the sign posted that nobody under 15 was allowed in hot tub). Parent's seemed to be imune to the noise they were making. We had to just ignore it. Overall, it was a good experience. The rooms were very nice and roomy, resort location was perfect, beach was beautiful, andpools were nice and clean. There was plenty of seating at both the pool and the beach. Service was good. It was a nice alternative to the all-inclusive scene that so many Cancun hotels have forced on us.

Room Tip: all rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.
On behalf of the entire staff, thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar once again for visiting to Cancun.
We are really pleased to see that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed our services and facilities; we can assure you, your comments on food will be shared with all the culinary team.

Once again, we thank you for sharing your experience and we cannot wait to welcome you back very soon!!

Regards,
Maple Glen, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My family and I spent Thanksgiving Week at the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun and we had a wonderful time! The facilities, staff and weather were all excellent and I can't say enough about how nice our visit was. I would recommend this place to anyone as one of our top destinations...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much of a super fantastic review !!! We are so happy and pleased to know that you and your family had a great time at our property. Thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar.

Been to The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!