“16 Tips for the Westin Lagunamar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

You added The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan | Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo., Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 40% on 2nd night
Ranked #15 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Carlsbad, California
“16 Tips for the Westin Lagunamar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

1. Thanksgiving week was an excellent time to visit Cancun. We really lucked out. No real crowds, no mosquitoes (my son did get one bite), no high humidity, mild evenings, no rain set-backs, mostly sunshine in the 70's during the day and perfect ocean temperatures for swimming. Our last vacation to Thailand and Bali in July 2012 was a huge contrast, especially the humidity and much higher temperatures.

2. The Westin Thanksgiving buffet was worth the 420 pesos each for fresh turkey and other tasty items. Hacienda Sisal had a deal for 395 pesos but we stuck close to the resort for ease of location. Alcoholic beverages were additional. I was a bit hesistant about Thanksgiving dinner in Mexico. However, stuffing and mash potatoes was worth every peso. Turkey was freshly carved. I would recommend sitting on the outdoor patio with good weather, since the 2 man band called Mathias De Via was excellent.

3. I would recommend using private transportation where possible. We used Prestige Transfers to/from the airport. Less hassles at the airport and trying to pick out a random taxi or shuttle van. Cancun Transfers will get you to Xplor round-trip from Westin Lagunamar - $120 USD. There was a communication mix-up and I never received an e-mail confirmation to reply back. Luckily, the agent, Francisco, did discount the rate down to $100 round trip which saved lots of customer dissatisfaction and generated a repeat customer. I did have to track him down since no one showed up at the pickup time.

4. Buses are clean and efficient. They are so easy within the hotel zone or to downtown. Local R-1 or R-2 bus will get you to downtown or hotel zone for 8.5 pesos one way. . I even had a local mexican senorita play alto sax on the bus for tips. She earned her tip from me and I even play jazz sax in a local band.

5. Bring your own wireless router (I recommend TrendNet-TEW654TR Travel Router (very small 3" x 2") for ~$25 USD currently on Amazon). You can just plug into the ethernet wired port in the room. The wireless signal peaks out at full bars in your villa. Otherwise, the wireless signal is very low.

6. If you bring your AppleTV like we did, please make sure you bring your Apple remote. We forgot to bring the remote and could not set up home sharing. You can program a universal remote to mimic an Apple TV remote, but home sharing must be set-up beforehand. The iStore in the La Isla Mall was less than helpful. They did not have any remotes in stock and would not loan me one, even for my driver's license.

7. Fresh homemade pasta at Cenacola in the Kukulcan Plaza (short 10 min walk from Westin Lagunamar after exiting left). You can have an excellent photo opportunity with 2 shiny, white Rolls Royce sitting in the Live Spa resort driveway. The Lagunamar Concierge (Carlos Garcia was excellent) will provide a coupon for free champagne welcome drink upon arrival. Make sure you choose a night where pianist is performing (pretty good at requests).

8. Xplor was very fun and worth the hour drive. We previously went to Xel-Ha and enjoyed this park but wanted something a bit different. We did a zip line canopy tour through the jungle in Costa Rica. However, the 2 zip lines at Xplor were above the jungle and magnificent views. We skipped the underground swim and rafting due to other reviews, cold water and time constraints. We did enjoy the ATV (both courses) and my 17 year old son was allowed to drive without questions. He even reported his underage at check-in. Excellent lunch buffet and smoothies.

9. Free head and shoulders massage next to infinity pool in a massage chair was relaxing. You can do it multiple times. Unfortunately, the Westin spa will open in early 2013. The massage therapists will operate at a beach cabana or in your room until then.

10. La Habichuala (downtown) has very good seafood at more reasonable prices compared to the hotel zone. It can be nice to get away from the Hotel Zone. If you take the R-2 bus, get off at the Chedraui Market (across from the Office Depot) and walk 4-5 blocks. I would recommend the lobster & steak flambe. Nice photo opportunity. The Caesar's salad is also excellent and prepared tableside.

11. Please remember to always carry your 20% Westin Discount card. It is good for the breakfast buffet. Not needed once the servers know you. We had excellent service from Henry (Henrique). Since I play on a baseball team back home in San Diego, Henry also does locally in Cancun. The semi-pro team is Cancun Tigers. The towel card is also needed when you go to the pool. If you forget your towel card, they will give you a brief lecture and a thin, yellow towel (instead of the thick, brown striped one). Westin will supposedly charge you $30 per missing towel card at checkout. They did ask for our towel cards at check-out.

12. I messed up during the first day and thought Happy Hour was 4-5pm at the Lagunamar. It is from 3-4 pm for two-for-one drinks. Draft Corona qualifies but bottled Corona did not.
Savio's Bistro was an excellent choice for homemade pasta. It is located at km15 and across from the Grand Melia. Their Mayan fish filet was also excellent. I met the owner, Juan and he gave be a 15% off coupon for the next visit. Smart marketing. You get a free appetizer when booked through your resort concierge. His downtown restaurant, La Dolce Vita, is ranked #1 on TripAdvisor. He wants Savio's to move up in the restaurant rankings. The prices were reasonable and we dropped less pesos for dinner than all other restaurants that we experienced including Harry's, Fred's, La Hibichuala, Hacienda Sisal, Oceano, etc.

13. I have to put in a kudo for Andreas (tenor sax player) at Gustino's (JW Marriott). I wish Westin Lagunmar would hire him. Andreas remembered me from our last Cancun trip 6 years ago. He was playing in the JW Marriott lobby bar when they had a grand opening. He gave me a bunch of sax sheet music at the time. We did not eat at Gustino's but stopped by for dessert and great jazz sax music. Lots of great service and many romantic candles. This place is a hidden gem (4 star AAA rating) and off the beaten path.

14. My wife loved the convenience of La Isla Mall and Kukulcan Plaza (both walking distance from the Westin). The jewelry store called La Joya will negotiate Kukulcan Plaza. She bought several pairs of 14k gold earrings. Forum by the Sea and Plaza Caracol were disappointing.
The Cinemark theater at the La Isla Mall (across the street) was a nice surprise. It almost felt like in a local US theater back home. They even serve crepes in the lobby reception area. We went to see Breaking Dawn: Part II. I was reluctant if it was going to be in Spanish. However, if you pick the right show, it is in English with spanish subtitles.

15. I wanted to avoid Hooters but we ended up there and actually enjoyed it. The Ohio State vs. Michigan football game could not be received at the Duna Sports bar (Westin Lagunamar). Their satellite TV could not get ABC-TV so they lost our businesss. Note: It was shown in each villa but a lot less excitement. We ended up with a nice view of the water overlooking the lagoon and watched the Buckeyes end an undefeated season with many other Buckeye fans. It was unfortunate that they could not play Notre Dame this year for the BCS championship. Oh well, there is always 2013.

16. The PGA tour will move their only Mexican event to November 17, 2013 at the Mayakoba area. This year, it was held on November 11 and I heard it was conflicting with the Arizona PGA even. It is time to make Cancun reservations for 2013. I heard Tiger Woods likes to do deep sea fishing in the Cancun area and will draw a bigger field of golf professionals. Time to make reservations at the Westin Lagunamar for next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate you have taken the time to write such a fantastic review from our property.
There is nothing that makes us happier than a guest that leaves feeling glad and renewed. Please come back soon to visit us here at your second home in Mexico.
Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just stayed Nov 11-18 and it was our first stay at a Westin. We are Marriott owners and exchanged our week through Interval.

My review will not be that different from most on here. I have the same complaints as did the others and Management/Ownership has not corrected the ones THEY committed to here on Trip Advisor.

Pros:
Location is perfect walking distance to everything and the bus stop right infront of the hotel.
The rooms all have beautiful ocean views and are well equiped with the basic cooking needs. The pools and hot tubs were perfect. This is by far the best thing they have going for them. I know people complain about the pool temperature being cold. Yes it is cold but that didn't bother us, it felt refreshing.

Cons:
Check in was a nightmare. We were just relocating from the JW Marriott where we spend the first part of our vaction so I called in the morning to ask what time we could check in. I was told our room would be ready at 1pm so we packed up quickly and took the cab over to the Westin. Upon arrival we were told that no our room was not ready and we would not be allowed to check in until 4pm. I would not have left the Marriott had I known this. We did not get to our room until 5pm. Like others have reported you are not allowed to receive your key. You have to wait for a bellman to be available and take you to your room. Once we got there we found our second bedroom/lock off room hadn't been cleaned yet!

TV- This may sound funny to you but all the channels that families would want to watch are in spanish. One Example is the Disney channel. We had just moved from the JW Marriott and all the channels were in English. Why would a hotel that caters to families have all the programing in spanish?

Time Share presentation-Because this was our first stay at a Westin we decided to see what Westin Timeshare program had to offer. The presentation went very well UNTIL the closer got involved. That woman was the most condesending rude person we have ever encountered that was trying to sell us somthing. We are Marriott owners so we get it, we understand the program. There actually was two small items that were different from Marriott that we thought were a nice benifit. We tried to tell/give positive feedback to the Closer and she laughted in our face and implied we were ignorant. We then said we were not interested in purchasing and the Closer became down right hateful. She asked us why we wasted her and her staff's time? At that time we got up out of our seats and left.

Internet-Make sure you plan to be "un-plugged" for the week. The internet is so spotty that it's almost non-existant. If you are using an I-Pad you can use it at the pool but not in the room. When we called down to the desk to ask about the internet we were told "They had already been notified that it was down and that they were working on it". Well this is the White Paper response the staff is using to respond to guests who ask.

Pool Service is very slow and you just get used to it and understand it will take 30-1 hour to get a drink or food. The food is ok and is priced the same as any other resort. Just expect food and drink is expensive but it's no differnt anywhere else.

Had to call the first day for basic items that should have been in the room upon check in. The housekeeper who cleaned our room forgot to leave many of the basic items so we called and requested the following; Sponge for the sink, coffee, papertowels, dishwasher detergent, trash bags and Robes all were not in our room at check in. When you call to have items sent to your room just know it usually takes hours not minutes.

Other than the Pool food we only attended the Themed Steak night. Not worth the $40 pp.

Our vacation ended up being very nice but only because we didn't let the negatives of the resort affect our much needed R & R. I struggle with the question would I reccommend this to a family or friend? Only if you go with all the right expectations. Bottom line It's a clean comfortable resort in the perfect location but it's in desperate need of customer service training.

Room Tip: High floor Builting 1000 is right next to the water. We were in 721 and 722 far from the ocean but...
Good Day

Thank you for your honest feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for further feedback on this matter, we would be delighted to assist you.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've stayed at a lot of Westin and other SPG hotels all around the world. In general I like the Westin brand b/c I know what I'm going to get and when traveling that can sometimes be a comfort (especially when on vacation). That said, not all Westin's are apparently created equal. While the facilities are beautiful and the wait staff very friendly the food was expensive and poor quality (for example one of my traveling companions couldn't finish her breakfast it was so bad -- how do you cook fried eggs that poorly??), the drinks were "ok" and while the concierge was very helpful in finding alternate places to eat, the front desk staff was less than helpful in anything that was asked ("can I get a late checkout?" "no we are too busy, the hotel is fully booked" "uh then why can I get any chair I want by the pool?").

Look I get it, I was just a tourist and really more passing through and I wasn't there to buy their timeshare villas but they could have at least pretended to care about my stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for further feedback on this matter. We will be more than pleased to assist you.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I like Westins, and stay at them a lot. This one was sub-par. The location is good, and staff are nice. The Food was really bad for the most part, aside from the pool-bar, the restaurants and bars were like some sports bars in an aiport. Not somewhere I'd go on a relaxing vacation. The "happy hours" are short and at odd times, it's like you had to know when and where to be. Perhaps that was their way of making people move from bar to bar, if they wanted the happy hour deals.

The facilities are what you would expect of a Westin - nice and clean. Pool was pretty, the beach was amazing.

Despite the front desk telling us that they were SUPER BUSY and could not really accommodate late check outs or special requests (they did compromise and show some indication of helpfulness) - the place was NOT CROWDED at all. Beach or Pool side, the seats were plenty and available, there was almost no one on the beach. At night, you could tell many rooms were empty (no lights on).

And yet there seemed to be always a line at the front desk - due to lack of staffing. There were more staff at the Villa ownership desks and concierge services than the front desk.

Housekeeping did not replenish the coffee, but they did clean the room. (I know, a minor gripe).

If you can stay there cheaply, and you don't eat on premises, it's not bad.

Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The wonderful reviews from Izzie Lieber and Mango Minx tell you everything I would have said. So not wanting to repeat what they had to say, I will just add a few comments: My family and I have also traveled around the world and stayed at many different kinds of resorts, hotels, etc. Our favorite being anything that belongs to Marriott. We have visited Cancun for the last 3 years, and stayed at many different properties. However this Hotel/Villa is on top of our list for being one of the most beautiful hotels in Cancun. It has stunning views of the sea offering beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Everyone went overboard to help us in anyway possible. We had the buffet breakfast every morning--recommend it highly.. Great food. Henry was our server, he was one of the best servers:we've ever had in Cancun, always a smile on his face, friendly,& quick getting our orders to us. After the first morning, as soon as we arrived, we asked to be seated at his station, and there he was with our coffee and drinks already in his tray. Great way to start the morning. The pools are clean and laid out for privacy if you want, for parents with small children, and a main infinity pool that was just awesome (along with the swim up bar.) We were in the main building (#5) on the 7th floor.
Fantastic view straight out through the colored fountains...the infinity pool and the sea.
All the rooms have wonderful views of the sea so you don't need to stress about getting the right room. Only advice is to stay above the 4th fl. as you may have some palm trees in the way of the view. Cancun is very safe, especially in the hotel zone where this
Resort is located. Great open mall with many restaurants and shops right across the street,
and much more in walking distance. We did go to the timeshare presentation as we had questions,but hadn't intended to buy just yet. it was quick and easy. We used the certificate toward our bill, with no problem. There is nothing negative to say about this Resort. Don't hesitate if your planning a trip to Cancun to stay at this resort. You won't regret it. We didn't.

Room Tip: All rooms have wonderful views -- just watch out for the lower floors as Palm Trees may be in the w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Westin Lagunamar.

It is our highest mission to provide each of our valuable guests with their very own personal and memorable experience. We are delighted you enjoyed the magic of our property and the surrounding area. We look forward to your next visit!

Regards
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Westin for a long weekend and we were very impressed. The staff is very friendly and do a good job with english communication considering you're in a spanish speaking country. The facilities are great, there are several pools around the beach with plenty of poolside grills and bars. The beach is also nice, the sand is smooth and warm. The rooms are pretty much standard Westin rooms, a clean bathroom and a comfortable bed. A room facing the ocean is very nice. The hotel is also good with arranging day trips, they helped us set up a great day of snorkeling on the reef. The resort is also next to "La Isla", a shopping mall with plenty of restaurants and stores if that interests you. If you're not looking to leave the confinds of the hotel, rest assured, the place is structured for that type of situation. However, as with any hotel, food is more expensive at the hotel than outside. Overall, this is a very good resort, not much to complain about. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to vacation in Cancun.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the ocean, you'll be provided a fantastic view. Try to avoid rooms loca...
Dear Guest ,

It makes us so happy to receive these kind of comments, thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar as your Caribbean Getaway. We would love to host you again in a near future.

Regards
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went to Cancun for part of our honeymoon. When we arrived at the Westin we were blown away. The resort is HUGE with several bars and restaurants, amazing pools and the beach was breathtaking. We stayed in a studio apartment that had a huge bath, comfy bed and a great view from the balcony. We were in paradise! that was until we were asked to do a time share presentation with NO PRESURE!.. HA! what a joke that was. We were offered 176 USD to do the presentation, a great deal I thought. The staff member said not to use them at the restaurants or for tours as you wouldn't get change but keep them and take it off your room charge- we were so pleased that he told us this and was excited to get the discount.

Time Share- We were assured that it would go for a MAX of 90 mins- it went for over 2 hours. The actual sales guy was lovely, very friendly and professional but as soon as we were handed over to his boss who closes the deal, everything went sour, she was rude, condescending, judgemental and extremely unprofessional. We were then handed over to yet another person trying to give us another great deal. We told her had we not just spent 20K on our wedding we might be in a position to do so and she questioned our sincerity! saying she didn't think we were ever going to buy time share! I was so shocked and surprised by this obvious passive aggressiveness I said I had to leave!

To ad insult to injury at the time of check out when we tried to use the vouchers to reduce our bill we were told these could only be used for tours and food NOT accommodation! even though we were specifically told we could! they said it was a miscommunication- The number of times we heard this during our stay it was a joke- how long is the tour- its 6 hours- NO its 12 hours because you have to drive 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back- oh sorry there must have been some miscommunication.

The resort is beautiful but the way we were lied to and treated just ruined the whole thing- we were going to extend for another 4 nights but after this quickly changed hotels.

we will never stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for future reservation requests.

Been to The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!