“Modern Clean, great for families” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa

You added The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa to your Saves list
The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 12.5 Blvd Kukulcan | Zona Hotelera, PO Box 834 Apdo., Cancun 77500, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Rate Guaranteed
Ranked #12 of 179 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Modern Clean, great for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed at this hotel from March 31st thru April 7th, in total there where seven of us on the annual family vacation, wife and I, in-laws and my wife’s brother, wife and our 6 yr old son. I booked us to stay at the Westin Regina with my SPG points on the Friday before we checked in as the flights where crazy due to spring break for school kids in the northeast and we wanted to check out the other Westin. It really helped with the checking because we coordinated everything before we showed up to check in and where able to relax for the whole day and just show up at the hotel when our room was ready.

They due have a pretty strict check in policy usually making everyone wait until 4pm, whoever we had three room in building 1 and two where ready at 1pm when we showed up, which allowed everyone to get changed/checked in and spend a few hours at the pool. The view from the room was awesome right on the ocean, yes the internet was horrible in the room but you could connect right outside over looking the pool in the hall. The hotel is super clean and modern the pool are great, the weather before we went said rain everyday, just like out other trip to Mexico this was so wrong it was a running joke, it was 90+ without a drop of rain the entire week. I’ll now break down the trip by day so anyone reading can kind of get an idea of how we tried to cram a lot of things into this trip with some sort of order.

Saturday- Hung out by the pool then me, DW and MIL went to Wal-Mart to stock up on supplies $300 and a short cab ride we had more than enough food for all of us to fill three fridges. For dinner we all went to Taco Grill in La Isla Mall, which was really nice/cheap place. Afterwards we just walked around for a bit and then hung out at the hotel watching movies for a while and turned in early. The beds where fabulous just like any other Westin we’ve stayed at.

Sunday- Everyone slept in and then the in-laws and me went to meet the concierge to book all the excursions for the week and book the time-share presentation for the SPG points/discounts. Had lunch at the pool and dinner in the room walked around the mall picked up some Cubans and rum for drinks and then just hung out at the resort taking photos at night.

Monday- Booked the Tulum/Xel-Ha all day tour, which was fun, I’d have rather gone on the trip to Xcaret but I digress. Tulum was awesome not a lot of time at the beach and Xel-Ha was ehh, just OK. We got back at around 6:30pm got changed and headed to the Mexican buffet at the hotel which was good not a lot of variety but I loved the quesadillas and tacos. It was a really long day so afterwards everyone went to back to there own room and hit the hay.

Tuesday- Lounged by the pool for the day, everyone just did their own thing I slept at the pool, the beers helped J. Me, DW, BIL and SIL signed up at the kids club to go to Coco Bongo it was $65 per person with unlimited drinks and a table on the floor. The club was awesome and after tipping the guy a lot I got great service, we left around 3 am ish hoped in a cab (be careful here the drivers are used to very drunk people and try to rip you off, the guy originally said $60 back to the hotel when I objected being the only semi sober member of the group and able to speak Spanish, the price dropped to $15). A cool thing there are guys selling pizzas when you come out, I wanted to buy one but didn’t L.

Wednesday- Took it easy ate breakfast in the room, surprisingly the water redbull mix smattered with tons of rum allowed me to be functioning my 8 am and able to collapse by the pool for a few hours. Thank god we changed the time of today’s excursion the Jungle tour back till 1pm. Made the 5 min bus ride to the place and then down to the speed boats we would take out to the snorkeling area. The tour was really cool and for $43 I’d do it again, we saw a giant manta ray and lot of cool fish. Went to Habichuela Sunset for FIL birthday and it was just ok, not sure what all the fuss was about to be honest, everyone seemed to concur, although the service was awesome. Went to the Mall for desert at Hagen Daz, which was really good also.

Thursday- Got up early took the bus over to Playa Tortuga and headed over to Isla Mujeres, which was an amazing day, probable one of the best days on any vacation I can remember. Rented a golf cart on the Ultramar ferry over everyone’s objection which is definitely the right thing to do and super easy, MIL and DW said to get one from the place that they has a coupon to well after 30 mins of me getting my cart they still couldn’t find the place for the coupon then we circled around and they were out. So we trekked back and they got one from the same place as us for $10 more than on the ferry. Went to the turtle farm and to this beach club close by all Zama, which was amazing for lunch. Then we drover down to the Castillo de Garrafon to snorkel and feed the fish in the crystal clear water which for $5 was well worth it, after napping drying off and driving back we had time to turn in the carts and then walk around the shops, before heading back on the very. After getting back to the hotel everyone got changed and based upon my idea at the beginning of the week became determined to try Habenero’s for dinner, which was OK, but super cheap and we ordered a ton of things. Then Me, DW and MIL walked across to Margaritaville it was really empty but the drinks where cheap and the store had really good prices. (Especially when you compare it to the airport where everything was double the price)

Friday- DW, in-laws, and me had a scuba diving session with Scuba Fred’s which I booked before heading down to Cancun, truly classy place and great value $90 for two dives to the Museo and Manchones reef. Both dives where great and the guides where super friendly can’t say enough good things about these guys, if you want really personal service this is the operation for you. It was an all day trip so we just went to the mall to get gifts for people walked around and took some more photos of the hotel before turning in.

Saturday- Work up early ate the rest of the food and got spots by the pool, then went up and started to check out brought the luggage to the storage room and then swam at the beach for a few hours out flight was at 6:30pm so we where in no hurry, I napped in one the hammocks then around 3:30pm everyone went to shower in the gym and get ready to leave. We got an SUV to the airport which was double the price than if you just let the concierge do it but oh well, and we where at the airport in 20 mins. Got dinner at Margaritaville which was wayyy over priced but good and we where on our way home.

Overall it was an action packed trip that I wouldn’t have traded for the world, A few FYI’s bring really strong sunscreen that is water proof, my DW likes to use 10 and lower and after one day started using my SPF 50 the sun is really strong and who wants to be burnt to a crisp on vacation. Wal-Mart is a godsend super cheap prices on food and liquor take advantage. There are towel hogs everywhere at the pool o be sure to get down early to get a good spot and some shade our you may end up lobster burnt. And most importantly have fun, this is a family hotel so yes kids will be in your way and the hot tubs are not that hot with kids in them all the time, but the beach and location of the hotel cannot be beat at everything is super new, which I could have stayed a month.

Room Tip: Internet access is very poor the further away from the main area, but if you go out side the door th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very detailed review , we are very glad to had a great vacation with us. Please contact us for any assistance with future reservations.

Thank you for choosing us!!!

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

My wife and I are seasoned travelers, and we live and die by Tripadvisor reviews. That being said we rarely post. I will make this brief. The Westin Lagunamar definitely has a time share feel. I have found the staff to be friendly helpful and cooperative, but don't expect hotel service. On a positive note the room we are in is brand new clean with a decent view. We have no complaints about our room.

Now far the bad part. My two biggest complaints are daily construction completely disrupting any tranquility that could be found near either pool,and wifi more similar to AOL dial up from the early 90's We typically prefer to lay on the beach but it is too windy, and from my impression you will never get a drink there. I need to work approximately 8 hours a day while here, and unfortunately the lapses in internet service and limited connection prevent me from getting anywhere near what I need done. If you need reliable high speed internet connection this is not the place for you. The resort is beautiful and we are pleased with the room; however, be sure to check if there is any construction going on before you book. The sound of a jack hammer is not as peaceful as the ocean.

Dear Guest,

We are currently working on a high speed internet access for the property. We apologize that our bandwith was not enough during your stay. This proyect will be finished by mid 2012 giving our guests better internet service.

Warm Regards,

The Westin Lagunamar Team,
Surfside Beach, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

A pretty, classy and enjoyable stay was had by all at this property. The check-in staff, concierge, room service, restaurant staff were all super-friendly....be sure to have the buffet at breakfast--comes with mimosas and Bloody Marys, lol!! The food was fantastic at breakfast, excellent views of the pool decks.
The rooms were great, we stayed in the new 1100 building, on the top floor so we saw everything on the decks and beach...very pretty! The beds, being Heavenly Beds were, just that. In fact, we bought a Westin Heavenly Bed after our last Westin stay a year ago and we weren't disappointed now either!
After a crappy stay at the Ocean Coral & Turquesa in Cancun, it's a pleasure to write a review for a property that clearly adores its guests.
We loved the freedom of walking across the street to the open-air mall too, really, you have everything you need at your fingertips. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the newer portion of the hotel---rooms are great!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your HEAVENLY review !! :)

Thank you for taking the time to give us your very important feedback. Your opinion is very valuable to us. We hope we filled your expectation and you will visit us soon.

Regards,

Westin Lagunamar Management
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We were there for Spring Break and spent 10 days there. The grounds are beautiful and so is the view of the beach from your room. All the people in the concierge were very helpful with everything from providing bus's information to booking the right type of excursions for our family.

The only issue I had was that housekeeping and maintenance was VERY SLOW! The night we got there we had no sheets for the pull out sofa bed so we called to have some delivered so we could make the bed... An hour and a half later (@11pm) they finally brought them but we had to call two more times. My son fell asleep by then so we didn't use it until the following night.

They took just as long the next day to bring us wash cloths and laundry soap to wash clothes. Each time we had to keep calling down to remind them of what we needed, sometimes we called over a one or two day period. Then while washing clothes we discovered our dryer was not drying the clothes ( no heat) so again we called to let them know and about 2 hours later, they brought us a new hair dryer...not what we needed.

I really love the grounds here and the resort but felt there was not enough people to handle the needs of everyone. The resort was busy. The food in the restaurant was good but high priced for the portions you got, so I would recommend BBQ'ing dinner or going out to eat.

Everyone who works there is very friendly and helpful but maybe short staffed. We plan to return sometime in the future when they hopefully will have more help for the amount of guests that they have to accommodate our needs.

Room Tip: Higher than the 2 nd level for a good ocean view otherwise the trees block your view.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for you review.

Your feedback is very important to us. We will make sure your comments are forwarded to our Director of Operations and Housekeeping manager.The service you received is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We would be delighted to welcome you back so you may experience our true and renewing Westin service. Please contact the Executive Office directly (lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com) for future reservation requests.
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We got a great deal on a Cancun flight and hotel, so after doing some research, we chose to stay at the Westin Lagunamar. The hotel is beautiful and the grounds very well kept; staff members are constantly on duty to keep things clean. We arrived early, so our room wasn't ready, but the front desk held our luggage in a secure location while we sat out by the main pool. That particular pool was a bit too crowded for our taste -- there's more than enough room for everyone, but we prefer a quieter environment -- so we spent the rest of our pool time by the smaller pool (which is still quite large). Poolside chairs are always available at the smaller pool at any time of day, and there's always chairs on the beach as well. The wireless internet worked wonderfully throughout our entire stay, and we were even able to get access by the pool. Housekeeping always took care of our room before we were done with the pool/beach/outside tours for the day, and they did an excellent job. All of the staff were friendly, helpful, and very accommodating. We recommend the hotel and would certainly stay again in the future!

Room Tip: We stayed in the top floor of the 1100 building; it was quiet, and we had a beautiful view of and ea...
Dear Guest ,
It makes us so happy to receive these kind of comments, thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar as your Caribbean Getaway. We would love to host you again in a near future.
Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is a wonderful resort with a beautiful beach. Pool (main) gets a bit crowded even in off season. Staff extremly friendly. Unit was exceptional. View of the beautiful water and grounds.

Room Tip: Right across the street from large shopping area. Bus stop just outside resort, easy to get around.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

My trip was actually way back in early February. I didn't see the need at the time to re-review since I had already done 2 declaring this an amazing place! But some of these brutal complainers force me to stick up for a great place with some of the friendliest people on earth.

Fantastic property. I think it's the perfect size. It's not one of these 10 development, 40 acre sprawls that can take 30 minutes to traverse(Sheraton VIstana Resort). There's been 1 large building since 2008 and a 2nd one beside that opened this year. Anyone who complains that this place is too big must be pretty lazy.

Pool: Largest pool on the Cancun strip and it's gorgeous. Infinity pool, swim up bar. Friendliest bar staff I've met. I hear about some people complaining about wait times for food? Did they order at a peak time? Did they order food for an entire family? This isn't McDonalds... its a gorgeous restaurant by the beach. Let them put some care into your order. Happy hour from 3-4 pm (2 for 1 smoothies, beers, hard drinks). It's the only time I'll buy the expensive frozen drinks but it's a hell of a time. It's almost religious for me to pull up a seat just before 3pm to see what the day's happy hour brings.

Location: 100 out of 100. Right in the center of the strip and across from a mall that has a great selection of eateries and stores. Then, to the left is another mall, to the right is another mall. Short bus/taxi ride to the club zone. Coco Bongo is a great show. Hooters surprisingly has amazing food here, unlike the Canadian hooters.

Service/Staff: Here's the controversy. I've never had a problem with any staff member anywhere, at any time at this resort. I stayed 12 nights in December 2010. 12 nights May 2010. 7 nights Feb 2012. Going April 28th - May 9th and already have xmas/new years booked... Dec 22-Jan 1. I can't think of a single time I could have complained about somebody. Sometimes the resort is really busy. Sometimes people can get stressed. Being nice to someone goes a long way. I've seen some real jerks on vacation. Stay in the USA if nothing's good enough for you outside of it.

I question the slow minded couple that thought bringing a $2500 watch that has diamonds that glisten from afar to a country where people are being hung from bridges and beheaded in daylight(2000 miles away luckily, but still). They're lucky to be alive never mind only down a watch. And to say that it was a plot on behalf of the staff is outrageous. These are the some of the best jobs in Mexico that 90 million people yearn for. I doubt somebody would jeopardize an amazing opportunity for some stupid watch.

I'm going to shut up before I get myself in trouble.

If you're coming here expecting a club med deal or sandals your mistaken. At approx $250 per night a family of 5 can stay beach side in a villa with a full kitchen and washer/dryer. If this isn't good enough go spend $10000 and go to fiji and leave us blue collar folks in peace!

Favourite drink: Miama Vice (half pina colada half strawberry daquiri)

Favourite food item: Nachos. Chicken or Beef. I get one of these almost everyday by the pool. 2 of us can barely finish them. Great deal for like $11 while sitting in the pool soaking in the sunshine.

Smile, you're on vacation.

Room Tip: Take something in the middle. On the far side by the Aztec ruins (building 9/10) you can't get...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Devinius,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review!!! Reviews like your make our heart sing with joy knowing we have such a loyal guest like you. Please let us know if we can do anything more to make your upcoming stays even better. Our management email is lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com. We are at your service!

The Westin Lagunamar Management Team.

Been to The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!