“Never again!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #196 of 219 Tours & Activities in Cancun
maryland
“Never again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

So i arrange for the coba and tankah tour exactly one month and half prior to the actual tour date. Only to find out three days before the tour that the date that i requested is invalid. That the tour is only on selected days and no one at cancun tours the whole month and half i had reserved the tour told me that! Unbelievable and didnt even try and compensate in any way. I will never use this tour company again

Visited February 2012

Appalachia
3 attraction reviews
“Chichen Itza Plus. Would do it again in a heartbeat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

First, I hope I am reviewing the right tour provider. We booked with our Apple rep in the hotel and the service was through Amstar, who contracts with tour providers. This was the only one I saw that did the "plus" tour.

Bus & Travel - We were picked up at our hotel at 07:30 and the bus ride was about two hours after we finished picking up other guests at various spots in the hotel district. It was a nice tourbus, complete with A/C, bathroom, cloth seats and TV. Continental breakfast was provided, consisting of a croissant sandwich with meat and cheese and juice. Drinks (beer, soda, and water) were also provided going and returning. They will also provide you water when you get off the bus to take with you while touring the ruins. We were able to watch a National Geographic special on a Mayan murder mystery on our way to Chichen Itza.

Chichen Itza - It is incredible. Please note that there is no climbing at Chichen Itza now that it is listed as one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. You can look but not touch. If you want to climb on the Mayan ruins, there are other options available at other ruins sites. Our tour guide, Paco, was very knowledgeable. I have always loved the Mayan civilization but I learned many more details from him that were previously unknown to me. He was very thorough in his explanations and happy to answer any questions. This tour lasted about 1.5-2 hours and we still didn't see everything. I would happily go back so that I could tour the other areas solo.

Lunch - Buffet style at the Mayaland Hotel. They will seat you with others in your tour to make the best use of space available. Please note that lunch was included but drinks are NOT. You can't bring drinks in either. My suggestion is to hydrate before you go into the lunch area as drinks are expensive (i.e. $4USD each for soda, water or beer) and they didn't tell us how much until we were done even though we asked a couple of times throughout the lunch. Honestly, I was ok paying $8 for two beers after walking around in the sun - very refreshing. The food was very good both my husband and I thought. You should try the Mayan food - handmade tortillas cooked on stone in front of you and served with shredded meat and homemade salsas. The hot salsa is HOT but we loved it. There was a good selection of other foods also but I'm the type of person to try things I can't get at home. Why would I want a burger when I can have authentic regional cuisine? There are dancers that perform during the lunch, which was nice. Afterward they stood at the exit with signs asking for tips. My only complaint is that we ordered coffee at the snackbar after lunch and the cashier refused to give me small change in USD or pesos. I wanted to tip the barrista as well as the gentlemen cleaning the restrooms but was unable to do so. The tab was $8 and I paid with a $20 but she would only give me 24 pesos and a $10USD. I told her I would take pesos for the $10USD but she refused. I was only upset because I felt they deserved a tip but I was not going to tip $10 by any means. Remember to take plenty of $1 bills on all of your excursions.

Vendors - Yes, there are vendors at the Mayaland Hotel and inside Chichen Itza. We were told not to buy jewelry or silver inside Chichen Itza as it likely was not authentic; however, there is jewelry at the shop in the hotel that is supposedly guaranteed. There is also a vendor outside the hotel selling cartouches with Mayan alphabet symbols, as well as a vendor selling a Mayan calendar with a unique date of your choosing (the calendar only repeats once every 8,000 years as opposed to ours every year). If you are interested in either of these, order before going in for your tour as it takes time to prepare them because they are handcrafted. We were told that we could find everything in Chichen Itza in Cancun's flea markets as well so we didn't purchase much; however, I regret that. Some things I couldn't locate. If you find something you really like, I recommend purchasing it there so you don't risk not finding it later on your vacation. Remember to barter but once or twice only and then walk away. You will get some good deals.

Free time - After lunch, you will have one hour of free time. You can choose to stay at Chichen Itza and view more ruins or visit Ik Kill, a natural sink hole with swimming.

Ik Kill - Stunningly beautiful. The Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series made stops here in both 2010 and 2011. The swimming hole is approximately 130' deep and there is a 15-20' platform area to jump from. It was an unbelievable experience. I am including pictures. You have one hour here.

Return - Plenty of cold beer, water or soda for all on board. They watched a newly released movie but I listened to my ipod and read a book. It was a quiet ride back to the resorts and I believe many even napped. We arrived back shortly before 6pm so it is an all day tour.

We paid $109USD for the tour through Apple Vacations and it was worth every cent. I can't wait to do it again when I visit Cancun next time. Muchas Gracias to Alberto - the tour conductor and Apple Rep on board, Jesus - the driver, and of course to Paco - our guide.

Visited January 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
20 attraction reviews
“Tulum Express Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I booked this tour after doing a Google search for express tours to Tulum. The reason I wanted a shorter tour was because I did not have a lot of time to spend at Tulum. I was visiting the area with my mother and she is not able to walk a lot, so she stayed at the hotel while I took the tour.
With that said, it was exactly as it appears in the website. They picked me up at my hotel at 8:30 am. We made one more stop at a nearby hotel to pick up a few more people and we were on our way. We arrived just before 10 am to Tulum. There is a train/trolley that you can opt to take to the entrance rather than walk. There is a fee for this but it was included in our tour so everyone opted to use it. We had a full one hour guided tour which explained a lot about the history and culture of the area and some of the meaning of the buildings. It was all very interesting and went at a good pace. Then we had one and a half hours of free time. You can walk around the grounds more, go down to the beach, or take the train/trolley back up to the entrance where there is an outdoor shopping center and places to eat/drink. We left promptly at 12:30 pm for our return trip. I was back to my hotel just after 2 pm.
One additional note: it was still very warm there in September, moreso from humidity rather than actual high temperatures. There is a bit of a breeze, but it doesn't help that much. So be prepared!
I would recommend this tour if for whatever reason you do not have a lot of time to spare but still want to visit Tulum. Also, as a solo traveler, I was a bit apprehensive but it was quite enjoyable and delivered as promised. No worries.

Visited September 2011
Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Wouldn't do it again for the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We took our 5 year old to do the ATV Jungle expedition while on vacation. We paid $99 each - almost $300. Our son loved the zip lines and the guides did a good job with him on the zip lines. The ATV ride was fun and the cenote was refreshing.

The things I was upset about was the fact that there was no "light lunch served" and no "bottled water" for us like the tour stated on-line. This tour picked us up at 12:30 and we weren't dropped off until after 6pm - needless to say my little one and my husband and I were starved! There were drinks and I think some chips available for purchase :( Luckily, I'd packed my son some cookies and that held him until we could get him dinner.

The camera that they were using for our photo's was not a very good camera. There weren't any pictures of us (I really wanted one of my son on the zip lines) that weren't blurry or that didn't have anyone else in the picture.

After the tour, our guides were a little pushy in asking for tips - which we did do.

Our van driver was kind enough to take us to a different ferry dock when the one we were picked up at didn't have any more ferry's leaving that evening.

I don't think our son should have been charged the full amount as an adult - and I don't think $300 was way too much for this tour - especially, with NO lunch and drinks.

Visited August 2011
Paris, France
“really great tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

We just got back from our trip and are still talking about the excursions with this tour. The guide was super friendly and very knowledgeable. The food was great (and not a buffet!). The zoo was not something I was excited about going to but I was so wrong! I only wished we had our daughter with us to enjoy the experience. I would highly recommend it!
FYI - Make sure you have the correct departure information. The vouchers we printed off before we went had the wrong meeting location. (we did not purchase the tour directly from the tour company)

Visited January 2011