“Cheesey chips were the best!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #141 of 549 restaurants in Cancun
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Preston, United Kingdom
“Cheesey chips were the best!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Me and two other friends came here on our last night in Cancún and it was nice but when I go to a steakhouse, I normally buy steak but this time I bought chicken with mushrooms on top with some sauce but can't remember what. It was really nice but the the best thing about the place was the stack of chips they gave you with melted cheese, mmmm. The staff were really welcoming and paid attention to us al the time. Thanks!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
New York City, New York
“A Vacation from Fajitas, Tortillas, Tacos and Enchiladas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

After a week in Cancun, one can easily hit their limits as to nachos, tortillas, fajitas, etc., and returning to simple meat and potatoes can become a craving. Just by chance we discovered the easily recognizable Outback Steakhouse sign, smiled at each other, and bolted for the front door.

We were greeted by the hostess who come from behind here little alter and opened the doors for us. The menu was what we have come to know and took pleasure in ordering our regular choice of chopped salad, sirloin steak with mushrooms and a few glasses of wine.

Our server graciously offered us a sample of a Chilean cabernet wine we thought we would like and we were surprised when our initial selection could not have been further from our liking. He quickly suggested a merlot which proved to be delicious.

At one point our server offered us a copy of the USA Today, which is pretty pricey in Cancun, but we declined as we had watched the morning news on our hotel TV. Certainly one of the most gracious displays of service we received in our past week while "grazing" around Cancun.

We should note that we received an overly salty steak, steak not as tender as those served in the US, and the side mushrooms served were more steamed than sauteed and void of any golden caramelized coloring.

Overall, we were very pleased with our dining encounter at Outback Steakhouse and its surprisingly good and attentive level of service. All kidding aside, Outback provided us with the best overall service of any restaurant in Cancun during our visit. Well done has a whole new meaning when it comes to the Outback Steakhouse in Cancun!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbus
“Not as good as the ones back home”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We gave up on trying to find good mexican food in the hotel zone and decided to just go with something we knew ( I know, I know, we're part of the problem). But this place simply wasn't good.

To be fair, outback steak house isn't high on my list of delicious restaurants stateside, but it's always edible. Not here though, we couldn't even finish our meals (pasta and a burger, hard to mess up foods).

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Ok lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Not bad, but very salty food. Husband inhaled his burger, I had the prime rib sandwich. Server was nice and more than happy to bring me a salad since fries were not for me.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Isla Mujeres
“We were disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Outback was usually one of our go to places when we used to travel Stateside driving from Florida to NY. We have always had consistently good food & service. We were playing Santa for the day in Cancun on a Sunday, Thought we would take a lunch break enjoy some good food & watch the games.

We told the hostess, we wanted to eat & watch the games. They have a room to the left that is full of big screens, tables & a bar. The room was packed with foreigners. In my eleven years of living in Mexico, this was the first time I was in a restaurant with only Americans no locals, a bit odd.

Our waiter gave us dinner menus & we ordered beers, he suggested the bigger draft glass. The price wasn't on the menu, only for the smaller draft. We should have asked. Another waitress came by & brought us bar menus. The bar menu was typical bar food. I was in the mood for a steak salad with some vegetables. Not an option on either menu. The salads were limited.... caesar with chicken or shrimp (no veggies), fried chicken salad with tomato, cucumber, cheese & red onion, etc. I decided to make my own. I ordered a house salad without the cheese, a side of veggies (brocolli & carrots steamed) & a sweet potato. The menu said nothing about the sweet potato having butter, brown sugar & maple syrup. More dessert than dinner. The dressing selection was slim....thousand Island, blue cheese & mustard vinaigrette. No balsamic or olive oil option. The mustard vinaigrette was surprisingly good. No bread or bun was served with the salad. My salad was fine filled my craving of vegetables. My husband ordered the cheddar & bacon burger. He was concerned that the menu said, it was cooked only well done. Our waitress said, he could have it cooked any way he liked. He ordered it medium rare. His burger came, it was medium well & had processed American cheese on it. We asked the waiter if they had cheddar. He said, no. We asked why the menu said the burger was cheddar & bacon if it was American & bacon. He had no answer. We asked what kind of cheese was on the cheese fries at the next table. He said, a shredded cheddar blend. So my husband asked for that. It took several minutes to finally get the cheddar. By that time, the bun was soggy. The fries were good.

A new patron sat next to us, we over heard the waitress telling him the draft beer prices. My husband is a walking calculator. Quickly, he calculated that the large draft beer costs more per ounce than the smaller draft. Really? So when they suggest you get the bigger size, you are paying more for size & the beer. Lesson learned, order the smaller drafts, it's a better deal.

Needless to say, we were disappointed with everything but the game coverage.

Note to those with mobility issues, the bathrooms are up two flights of stairs & not very close to the game/bar room.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere