“Great Destination with lots to do” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Visit Riviera Maya like an insider
Book a Tour
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Nightlife, Snorkeling, Dining, Scuba diving, Shopping, Birdwatching, Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This term is used to refer to the Yucatan coast now popular among tourists.
Houston
“Great Destination with lots to do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My son Graduated from College and I took him to the Riviera Maya as a graduation gift. He had such a great time. The trip started off a little rough with the Car rental at the airport. The actual rental was very inexpensive, but the insurance was where they get you at. The rental was purchased through a package on one of the online travel websites. I purchase the rental Insurance from the website but the Car Rental place would not honor the insurance. They told me that I had to purchase from them or I would have to put down a 1100.00 deposit. I refused to pay the deposit. They did offer me insurance directly with them for 45.00 per day, but the care was only 20.00 per day. I refused and took a cab to the hotel. I tried renting a car for a few days at the hotel and they wanted an 800.00 deposit along with the 45.00 per day insurance. I think this is such a rip off, therefore, I would not be renting a car there any more. I have traveled to the are on numerous occasions and have never had an issue with renting a vehicle with all of the extra expensives. The taxi service is great and less expensive or hassel.

The area has a lot to do. We went to Xcel-ha for a day and snorkeled and tubed down the river. This place is all inclusive, multiple restaurants to eat at, multiple bars to get drinks. All equipment is included with a small deposit (refunded when snorkel/fins are returned.)

We spent a day in Playa Del Carmen. There are lots of shopping and restaurants to eat at. Went over to Cozumel and shopped as well. There is also, XCaret, and Xplore to visit as well as Tulum.

Visited June 2011

Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
“Snorkel and Dive Cenotes between Tulum and Akumal along the Riviera Maya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I have visited many cenotes in the last 20 years along the Riviera Maya coast and the they are always picturesque. While I miss the days of hiking along a barren coast to reach Cenote Manatee (aka Casa Cenote) and being the only one there, the tourism industry hasn't yet ruined these attractions. I snorkeled Dos Ojos with my teenagers and it leaves you longing to dive because you can see so many divers with flashlight deep ion the water nder you. The divers are able to dive between the two cenote, as they are connected underwater, but those of us snorkeling have to walk from one to the other or risk the 40 sec swim time under water, holding your breath, while you try and reach the next cavern...not something i was willing to try with my teenagers. There are many others, Dos Ojos is second in my book behind Cenote Gran, because of its beauty. Some of the smaller ones are still nice, but too overrun with tourism, so I would avoid Cenote Azul and Cristalino in high travel season. Some have an entrance fee and some don't...others may require a guide if on private property. Dos Ojos you can do yourself for a small entrance fee ($2), but you may find it helpful to have a guide if you're diving.

Visited July 2011
México
30 attraction reviews
“En el paraíso un lugar diferente”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

For travelers who enjoy the Mayan Riviera in Mexico, We recommend Aktun Chen in Cancun-Tulum Highway, 4 miles south of Akumal. It is a wonderful natural park. We were 10 family members wanting to know different places to those already known in the Riviera Maya. We went to 2 of their 4 activities, the cave and cenote. The cave is a dream, the best we've seen compared to other caves, with lights and packed to the walk of any tourist, including a guide. The cenote snorkel can be guided, is an example of the many cenotes that exist in this area. On the tour you can see spider monkeys, deer and wild pigs. The best thing is the cave and do not allow the entry of large groups. Apparently the National Geographic recognized this place as something worth seeing. We recommend it for travelers who want to know something different and typical of the area.

Visited July 2011
Fargo, North Dakota
6 attraction reviews
“Great Beach-front Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We found the Playa Maya hotel on tripadvisor. It almost sounded too good to be true. Booked five nights with our eleven year old grandson, and were not disappointed. The small (20) room hotel is located right on the beach, has a pool and hot tub, good swimming on the beach in front and is just one block from the main tourist walkway. Friendly staff, good service, great breakfasts under a thatched roof on the beach in front of the hotel and unique towel sculptures waiting for us each afternoon when we returned from our adventures. Reasonable prices to boot. Truly a gem. Highly recommend.

Visited June 2011
London
“Uniquely Natural”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

Recently I had the chance to tour Hacienda Tres Rios' Nature Park in the Riviera Maya. Initially,when I heard park, I was put off. I thought of another annoying attraction full of gimmicks. I was wrong. It really is a Nature Park, a park 100% natural with a purpose to educate. It was here that I learned about cenotes and the origin of chicle (gum). :)