“Pleasantly different” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico

You added Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Morelos 225 | Intre Juarez y Emparan, Veracruz 91700, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 80 Hotels in Veracruz
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was twice as expensive as other places I stayed in in Mexico during my two and a half weeks. We had to be moved upstairs as the room down stairs smelled damp and musty but after that was done quickly and efficiently, there were no problems and it was not unlike staying in a Holiday Inn anywhere in the world, apart from the look of the place - a converted former convent. It was not in the best part of town. We were there for Carneval and it was ideally located for that, which started and finished close to the Zocalo with much of the action also nearby. It felt safe enough, but I doubt if it had the relaxed feel of some of the holiday places further towards Boca del Rio. Nonethless, as a courtyard style building, with the courtyard having been converted into a pool and garden, it was extremely quiet and successfully shut out the outside world to the extent we could have been anywhere in the tropics. The hotel has a branch of Gran Cafe de la Parroquia (one of the city's well-established coffee halls) for food etc, which is pricey by Mexican standards but reasonable and comparative with other four-star hotel restaurants. I'm not a fan of chain hotels but if you are looking for something with international standards and a reasonable amount of atmosphere, quiet and within spitting distance of the Zocalo, this may be your best bet. If you are after higher standards, you might be better looking at the clones further towards Boca del Rio.

Room Tip: Get one upstairs to avoid the damp of those in the tier below.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager945, Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We really appreciate your comments, look forward to your preference.Thank You

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Brownsville, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

nice local if you want to be near the portales staff ok but cool not very friendly rooms ok service good just needs a little more personal touch over all 3 1/2 * i think it would be better if you scouted the area for a more friendly local its ok but i think you can do better

Room Tip: ask to check out the room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear sammeets,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W
Friendswood, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is not your typical Holiday Inn. It is a very old beautiful building in the heart of the downtown tourist district. Not very expensive it is good value. There are several problems I had staying here. I've stayed here twice once for a week in September 21013 and the current visit 1st week of November 2013. On my first visit I had no real problems, the shower was a bit cool - ok it was cold - but they fixed that when I complained and the shower overflowed and ran out the door. They fixed that too. I was in room 108 which is a large room with high ceiling (easily 15ft - 5m) and a view over the courtyard and pool. My wifi dropped out every day, no big deal.

My second visit - in progress - I ended up in a smaller room at the corner, no view. The lighting was appalling, not enough to read by. The wifi had a strength of -80dB or less. Not enough to be useable. The shower was lukewarm at best. I have to have wifi I use it to keep in touch with the office. I complained and changed rooms. I now have room 220 on the second floor, a view over the street and plaza. No wifi signal at all. I just complained to the front desk, the usual very poor lighting, the shower is warm enough but without much water flow.

The restaurant is OK for breakfast and dinner. Not very exciting but perfectly adequate, nice staff.

None of the staff speak very good English and most don't speak any. My Spanish is non-existant which may cause some problems not to be resolved, but then the problems shouldn't exist in the first place.

I am a Platinum Elite member so I should have got a pretty good room. I wonder what the other rooms are like. That said all the rooms and are clean and smell OK with all the usual hotel room things.

Room Tip: The only room I liked was 108, but any on the ground facing the coutyard should be OK, don't tak...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear robert77546,

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to post your feedback. It is great to know our staff were able to assist you with your concerns while you are with us. We certainly do our utmost to make our guest's stay comfortable and pleasant, especially our loyal IHG Rewards Club Platinum Members and on this occasion we deeply regret we did not exceed your expectations with our facilities. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

Thank you for your review and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen C
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This place is not a usual Holiday Inn, it is in a row of buildings which it is the only hotel. It is very hard to see from the road and you drive right by it. If you are looking for old charm this hotel has it with all the wood it is made of. I was on the second floor directly above the front desk and I could hear everything the front desk clerk and others were saying all night long. Unfortunately none of them understood English or didn't care one. I kept going down stairs until 0630 when I finally got up and left the hotel. I'm sorry but with multilingual visitors they should have someone in the hotel at all times to be able to communicate with their customers. The room was nice, but if you want a bath they only have showers here. I loved the to the floor window and the wooden beams on the ceiling. I had dinner and the food was great, I just wasn't happy with any of the staff during my visit.

Room Tip: They have no elevator, and stay in rooms away from the desk too much talking from staff.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear DonnaKronmiller,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and for staying with us. It is a great pleasure to read you found our rooms commendable and enjoyed the food that was served. However, we are sorry the hotel location and level of staff service was less than satisfactory. We highly value your views and feedback, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to serve you soon.

Zelyn N
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We choose this hotel for its location and the location is perfect for a historical district visit. We had a room on the bottom floor across from the pool, room #110. The room was small but nicely appointed with new flat screen TV, modern fixtures, and a very cold air conditioner. The main issue was the bathroom shower and sink did not have hot water. We addressed this with the staff and supposedly maintenance checked it out. When we returned for the day, it was still only barely warm and was told it is hot enough for people in Veracruz. We then looked at other hotels so we could move but when we asked for a credit for the night we were not staying, they moved us upstairs to a very large room with two beds and very hot water. One other issue we had were that the beds were too hard and we did not sleep well for any of our three nights there.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms along the wall of room# 110 as the maids are very noisy early in the mornin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Travel2MoreBeaches,

Krysllin G.
Kingston, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel around the corner from the Zocalo and a few blocks from the Malecon. Check-in was painfully slow with one person working while three others did little to nothing. My room facing the pool on the main floor was too small for the two queen beds so I had difficultly accessing the closet. It also wasn't the cleanest of rooms and was very worn and in need of a face lift. The rooms on the second floor, however, are very spacious and comfortable. Check out was efficient. The internet is good but the hotel printer wasn't working.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor facing the street are more spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Weerobbie,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to ensure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We feel sorry to learn about the unpleasant experience upon check in, and as the result of your comment, we have addressed these issues with our Front Desk Team. We also apologize for any discomfort you may have experienced due to the room size. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

We truly thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for your support to our hotel. I hope you will allow us an opportunity to better serve your needs in the near future.

Zelyn N
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

i thought this hotel was nice. the pool was refreshing. the air conditioning was a welcome comfort in the sweltering heat. some of the annoyances of holiday inn-mexico were apparent: have to ask for internet password and a safe lock, only one internet code per room... but it was a good stay. the building itself is historic too - the church next door has hernan cortez granddaughter buried there, apparently. and the holiday in itself was the first nunnery (?) in the country. pretty cool.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Veracruz - Centro Historico? Share your experiences!