“Great hotel in Veracruz!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Veracruz

You added Hotel Playa Veracruz to your Saves list
Hotel Playa Veracruz
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Valencia #28 esq. Blvd. Manuel Avila Camacho, Veracruz 91910, Mexico   |
Ranked #36 of 79 Hotels in Veracruz
Long Beach, California
“Great hotel in Veracruz!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The rooms are spacious and initially folks might think..who wants to stay in a hotel that is embedded in a mall? I do if you can't handle the humidity! And the convenience of shops and local market that is walking distance is a plus!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Guadalajara, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Para una o dos noches está bien. Es un hotel sencillo, buen staff, buenas camas. Tuvimos que pedir una toalla más, porque solamente nos habian puesto una en la habitación. El Aire Acondicionado no estaba funcionando muy bien pero al ser Diciembre no hizo mucha falta. / For one or two nights stay, is ok. It is a simple hotel, cheap, nice staff, good beds. We had to ask for an additional towel because we had only one. A/C wasn't working good enough... but since it was December it was not 100% necessary.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Puebla, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Before I decided to stay at Hotel Playa I read all of the reviews on TripAdvisor, and came away with the impression that the numerous negative comments must be a reflection of typical ‘gringo’ uptightness (OK, I’m a gringo too, but I live in Mexico). Well, I was wrong. There really is something wrong with this hotel, although there are some positives.

Night 1. I was in a room facing the Gulf. Big mistake. This is where the sun comes up, and, given that my room had no air conditioning, it was turned into an oven by 7:00AM. Also, a street light is right outside my window and lit up my room all night.

Night 2. I changed my room to one with air conditioning, which cost a bit more. The problem is that the air conditioning unit is on the wall above my bed and, naturally, when it rained (which it frequently does in this City), the rain water came pouring out of the unit onto my head. I changed rooms.

Night 3. The hotel shares a wall with a disco-tec, and, given that this was a Saturday night the noise was so extreme that the walls were vibrating. Even with ear plugs (which I find a ‘must’ in Mexico) it was intolerable. I convinced the management to move me to a room across the hall. Unfortunately there was some sort of flying creature sharing this room with me, but I was not awfully picky at this point.

Of course there were the little things, like no hot water, and no toilet paper or towels until I specifically asked for them. What I find most amazing about my time in this hotel, is that each of these mishaps could have been anticipated by the management. On the positive side the management was very cheerful and made an effort to help in each situation when a problem was brought to their attention. A small beach is across the road, and busses run every few minutes to the down town area.
On balance, even with its low cost taken into account, I cannot recommend this hotel. Veracruz is a unique and terrific city and should be enjoyed without being distracted by hotel problems. Also, please note that the claim of the hotel that one can walk to down town in 30 minutes is laughable. Add about an hour and that would be a reasonable time estimate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
jbosco, General Manager at Hotel Playa Veracruz, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
We are very sorry for night 1 since it´s not up to us to keep the city´s lights out of the room (even with our thick courtains) or the sun set bothering your sleep. Some people like that! Concerning night 2, I´ve personally checked all the A/C´s and there´s not a single water leak comming out of them. Perhaps there´s no reason why water could possibly get "on your head" since the A/C is placed on a side wall. Regarding the discotheque next door, we can do nothing about that either since the local government gave the permission for its openning and closing hours. I´m sorry about your "flying creature" inside the room. It was a butterfly and they usually appear all over the city when it rains and since the rooms are usually openned to keep them ventilated, it probably went in. I´m also worried about your comment about "no towels, hot water or toilet paper". How could that be possible at a hotel that has defined procedures for the mades that clean the rooms? Any how, thanks for your comment, for it helps us to improve in every single aspect. And by the way, downtown is less than 2 miles away from the hotel... which according to Google Maps should be walked in 30 minutes!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I came to this hotel with my boyfriend during our summer trip to Mexico. I absolutely loved the port of Veracruz and the location of our hotel. I booked directly on the hotel's Facebook webpage and was right away confirmed. They even let you choose if you can would like a room with an ac unit or fan. Us loving the weather from Veracruz decided to sleep without an ac. They also have two retro bicycles that you can rent for for less that five dollars for an hour. We HAD A BLAST!!! :D would definitely go come again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Midland, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

First of all I came to this hotel because of this site, ok we paid almost $50 dollars, just because it was a weekend we were charged $10 extra, plus $10 extra for the a/c, but the room was small, dirty, had 2 cockroaches, the bathroom was ugly, but that is nothing, there is som much noice because of the nighclub next door It is IMPOSSIBLE to sleep, how dare they even rent rooms that way, really you can do much better with a couple of hotels near by, and let me tell you that after 3 weeks in the state of Veracruz this was the worst hotel, worst value we found, too bad it was highly recomended in this site.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Oaxaca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

My girlfriends and I stayed at The Playa Hotel over a long weekend, and we recommend it. Juan at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. He is fluent in English, and he is very knowledgeable about the city. He gave us a map and explained the main attractions. The hotel is perfectly situated between the two main hubs of Veracruz- Boca del Rio and Veracruz. Transportation from the hotel is very easy, either by bus or by taxi. The rooms were clean and cute, and the hotel is right across the street from the ocean. I am already booking my next stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Wichita, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

I will have to say after reading the reviews and now having stayed there I doubt TripAdvisor's rating system!!! This weekend a friend and I stay at the Hotel Playa. I had inquired about a reservation ahead of time but when we arrived they did not have us marked. They advertise rates by the number of people. There were two of us staying there but the room rate was more (from $300 to $400 pesos a night) than advertised because the only room they had was with an air conditioner. The room was small but seemed ok. Besides the stains on the sheets. Yuck! These stood out on the bed since there was only sheets and no other blanket. The first night was very cold and loud. People in the open air lobby and halls could be heard anywhere in the hotel. The next day I saw there was blankets in other rooms so we asked for them. They said we could ask later that day for blankets. Since we decided to stay and would be getting blankets we asked for a bigger room. We were already paying the highest rate for a small room. They said we could move rooms and the higher rate would be the same because of the view. This room was bigger and had a great view! It also had an air conditioner, which is why we were paying more before. So I'm not sure if the price was because of the view or the air conditioner.
The second day started off great until we had the air conditioner running for about 15 minutes. It started pouring water onto my bed and wouldn't stop. After about 20 min of the air conditioner being off it had filled 3 glasses full of water and one side of my bed was soaked. We told the front desk about the problem and they said they would look at it. Later that night we tried it again and the same thing happened. So no air for that night but we did have blankets.
Early (8am) both mornings there was construction coming from the building next door. Not their fault but there was no way to stop it. Not a real pleasant way to start the day on vacation.
We should just call it what it is: A small cheap hotel, that even 6 cab drivers didn't know existed, that is good for a hot shower and a decent location.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Playa Veracruz? Share your experiences!