“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 81 hotels in Veracruz
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Emporio is a high-end hotel, the kind with 24-hour room service, multiple restaurants on the premises and prices to match. However, I think it was worth it. The staff was exceedingly friendly and helpful and nearly everyone spoke good English. It is located right on the waterfront with walking distance to nearly everything except the bus station and the Boca del Rio restaurant district. The famous La Parroquia restaurant is next door which is another plus. We had breakfast there every day. I noted that Emporio has received several negative reviews. That is odd, I found nothing to complain about. During Carnival there are loud music events right outside the hotel which basically makes it impossible to sleep before 1 a.m., but you can sit on the balcony and enjoy a prime view of the event if you have a room facing north or east.

Room Tip: North and east facing rooms have spectacular harbor views.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Emporio V, Director General at Emporio Veracruz, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments about your pleasant stay at our Hotel. It is very motivating for all our associates to continue offering the best, the quality service of our friendly and courteous staff makes us a preferred hotel for vacationers. We honestly hope you continue being one of our most valued guests at the “Emporio Veracruz”.

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I had a weekend here, and having travelled overnight was pleased that I was able to check-in on arrival. I had booked a sea-view room which was excellent - a corner room with two huge windows overlooking the port, so there was always something to see. There is currently work going on to pedestrianise the area, but happily this isn't too noisy and only occurs during the day.
The staff at this hotel are super - really enthusiastic and helpful. The room was well-equipped and very clean.
I had pre-booked a sports massage in the Spa and enjoyed the sauna and jacuzzi beforehand - as well as an excellent massage. The therapist even tended to a recent ankle injury with heat compresses. Sipping hibiscus and rosemary tea and nibbling fresh fruit whilst lying in the jacuzzi was lovely, especially after a long and tiring journey.
The buffet breakfast was very good, the evening meal in the main restaurant was OK but nothing special, although the staff were great. The prices are reasonable by UK standards and expensive by Mexican ones. I had room service twice and it was efficient and again reasonably priced. I didn't opt to activate the mini-bar but an ice bucket is supplied and there are ice-machines.
Pool towels are supplied at reception.
My only criticisms - the pool area wasn't very clean, when water splashed it formed muddy puddles. Also, they need to invest in some wind-proof parasols, as when it got windy they took all the sunshades down. The spa added a 10% service charge, I would have preferred to have left the tip, and they add a small tip for the maid on your bill - I had already tipped my maid, but the amount was small so I wasn't going to argue. It would be nice to be able to sit on the balcony of your room but there is no outside furniture supplied.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your pleasant stay at Emporio Veracruz. It is very rewarding to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We continuously strive to deliver the best possible service. Your comments are very valuable in order for to maintain our focus on guest satisfaction. We trust you will stay with us for your next visit to our beautiful port of Veracruz.
Villach, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We have stayed in Emporio Veracruz many times over the last 7 months and we love it! The location is great, right on the harbor and Malecon of Veracruz. You can walk everywhere. The rooms are big and beautiful with great views. Each room has a balcony. The property has 3 swimming pools and an oriental SPA which I highly recommend. All of staff are friendly and courteous. We have tried several hotels in Veracruz and Boca Del Rio but Emporio is definitely the best overall experience.

Room Tip: Although all the rooms are lovely, try to get a corner room. They are the largest and also have the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Emporio V, Director General at Emporio Veracruz, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
We appreciate all your comments. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you chose Hotel Emporio while you were in Veracruz. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback.
Toronto ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Room outdated but clean; check-in easy (we only stayed for one night as we were booked in Anticavilla Hotel Cuernavaca for one week) The breakfast restaurant was passable; the restaurant in the lobby downstairs wasn't. Still, for one night this place is okay and on the waterfront port.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Emporio V, Director General at Emporio Veracruz, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments about your short stay at our Hotel, we hope that when you come back again, you may enjoy all beautiful areas that Emporio Veracruz has to offer.
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Those 20 years have taught me that Veracruz is among my favorite places in Mexico, and I have seen much of Mexico in hotels at all levels. I am unsure how to write about that entire experience with tripadvisor. For example, I know numerous hotels in Veracruz first-hand, either from staying there, visiting there, doing business there, or simply looking around there. I know a great deal about the port of Veracruz and other towns in the state. Anyone is welcome to ask me about all this if tripadvisor allows.

As for Emporio Veracruz, it presents itself as a resort with resort facilities, and it is in a most enviable, superb, Veracruz Harbor location, overlooking areas important to the history of Mexico. Downtown Veracruz and many other historic areas are within walking distance; a good beach is not, although best beaches should not be anyone's prime reason for going to the Port of Veracruz. A beach person could be disappointed. As for history, Veracruz is a gold mine; after 20 years, I am still exploring the mother lode.

My bottom line is that I disagree with most who complain about Emporio, and I disagree fundamentally with anyone who says Emporio is THE place to stay in wonderful Veracruz. For me, any night in Veracruz is a goal, and I have visited many other good places.

Tripadvisor wants to know when I traveled and with whom. What do I say? I have traveled solo, with family, with professional colleagues, and with a group as a host to Veracruz - because I respect its history and know how much it has impacted all of us worldwide. I fit every tripadvisor category on the next choice, so what do I do? Now, I am supposed to select when I traveled?

Room Tip: High, away from the elevator
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Emporio V, Director General at Emporio Veracruz, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
We appreciate all your comments. The team here strives to make each guest experience as close to perfect as humanly possible. When we accomplish that goal we’ve done our job. I am so honored that you choose Hotel Emporio while you were in Veracruz. And we’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this wonderful feedback.
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

If you choose to stay in Veracruz, the Emporio is The hotel to stay at. Location is absolutely the best. It has been a Veracruz landmark for decades. It is recently renovated and in very nice shape. Service though lacks organization. The first night we discovered that the remote control for the AC was missing (there is no wall control). we asked for it, it took 4 calls before customer service answered, they said they would bring it up, and never did. The following day we decided to use the pool. We asked the pool manager to set up one of the wonderful sunbathe couches they have, they are large and covered in an elaborate way with towels. It had been used before and the towels needed changing. He told us he would send someone and never did. On the other habd the waitresses are excellent. Running around non stop to bring you excellent drinks and food. (try the mojito)

Room Tip: Pay extra for the sea view rooms. Makes the location worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We offer our thanks for sharing your comments about your stay at Emporio Veracruz. Thanks to the constructive comments we have the opportunity to continue to improve on a daily basis, I would like to share with you that our goal is to exceed our guest satisfaction in every service aspect. We have taken note of each of the points you mention. We sincerely hope you and your family will be back soon here at your home “Emporio”.
Puebla, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

we stayed over a long weekend and my family enjoyed it. my cousin recommended this hotel in case we had bad weather. definitely the indoor pool is a must for little kids those who have younger children know what a hassle it is to keep them entertained. The pool was always warm enough and the kids had a ball. The rooms were nice and clean. The only thing I would recommend is more attention to the leftovers left at the pool. I noticed one it was more than half an hour before someone went to clean them up. other than that I really recommended because you were also able to walk two nearby attractions.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Emporio Veracruz Hotel. It is a satisfaction for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to continuously deliver the best possible service and your comments or of great assitance for all of us in order to maintain our focus on guest satisfaction. We trust you will continue to favor us with your preference for all your visits to the beautiful port of Veracruz.

Been to Emporio Veracruz? Share your experiences!