“comments on Bela's B&B” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bela's B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Cristobal de las Casas
Bela's B&B
You added Bela's B&B to your Saves list
Dr. Navarro #2 | Barrio El Cerrillo, San Cristobal de las Casas 29220, Mexico   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“comments on Bela's B&B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Being at Bela's B&B was the highlight of our time in Mexico! We loved the place and Bela! The open courtyard and garden is a beautiful spacious area, and is surrounded by the gracious and aesthetically pleasing rooms. Bela has an incredible artistic eye for color and art which is abundant in all the environment. My husband and I stayed in several different rooms and felt fully indulged in the spaciousness of each room and the extras such as a heating device to keep the towels warm. My 18 year old son enjoyed his very cozy space and loved having Bela's 4 dogs visit with him, and he also really loved his occasional hanging out time with Bela. Breakfasts are outstanding with the best homemade granola (I will be making the recipe soon), yogurt, fruit salad, eggs and toast, etc. Bela is an extremely welcoming person and she gave us great advice about some activities and restaurants. This was our home away from home and enhanced our vacation tremendously! I would return to Bela's in a heartbeat, and am sure I will be there again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

When your luggage gets lost and someone has to stay home to sign for it (Bela) When you have no clothes to wear because yours are in said luggage (Bela - she loaned me her own clothes including PJs) When you are not sure what the best place to eat-visit-study etc is (Bela)..so, I´m a believer. The B&B is very conveniently located and is charming and clean and the breakfasts are tasty and wholesome. And Bela es Belleza in all ways! Gracias a Bela.

Room Tip: I stayed in two different rooms...The first was a small room with a shared bath which was perfectly...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Oaxaca, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

It feels like entering into a faery realm.
I really enjoyed meeting Bela and staying in her beautiful house. She gave me suggestions on what to do and where to eat!
The gorgeous garden that surrounds the breakfast area givs it a lovely cottage feeling.
The rooms are very clean and there are towel warmers in the rooms, great idea!
Very cosy, very nice experience.
Thanks Bela!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
VENUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Below is an excerpt from my travel blog, http://www.taketothehighway.com about my recent visit to Bela's. (I hope it is acceptable to post the link since I am not selling anything there.)

Is it possible to find sunshine and warmth on a cold, rainy day in San Cristobal de las Casas? Yes, by walking through Bela’s front door!

The minute I walked through the front door of Bela's, the lush, flower-filled garden caught my eye, and I was drawn in. Her small courtyard is reportedly host to three different species of hummingbirds (ergo the beaded hummingbird at the end of my room key chain.)

Even the breakfast at Belas was “sunshine on a cloudy day,” as the brightly decorated glass enclosed dining room welcomed the guests each morning with a cozy fire in the chiminea. Bowls of fresh fruit, bananas, papaya, mango, served with natural yogurt and Bela’s homemade granola was just the “staple.” There was also fresh squeezed juice of the day, and homemade banana bread, scrambled eggs, or “huevos Mexicanos” on offer.

Bela’s house is only a block and a half from the long pedestrian walkway leading straight into the heart of San Cristobal, and she is a wealth of information when it comes to recommending tours, walks, or restaurants.

Don't be put off by the three night minimum as I was at first -- but then stayed six nights! I quickly realized the rationale for the three night minimum when I crawled into bed and felt the soft, fleece bed linens and cozy, comfy duvet. Then I opened the beautiful armoire to find my very own fuzzy robe that was “like buttah!!!” Too much transient traffic would not allow such luxuries at an affordable price. Although I intended to head out sightseeing, the rain, the ramifications from the overnight bus, and all the comforts of home netted me one good afternoon nap!!

This 3 night minimum requirement netted other benefits as well, and that was getting to know the other patrons. Of all those staying in Bela’s home, my six night stay was the shortest. I met the nicest people there! All staying for a while, either doing volunteer work, or studying Spanish. We enjoyed each others company so much that we all shared a big Italian dinner and wine together one night in the quaint little restaurant nearby, Napoli.

An added bonus to the B&B is the lovely Teresa, who offers a dream-state 90 minute massage upstairs in her warm little studio for only $425 pesos (that's less than $35 USD, folks!! For ninety minutes!) Teresa has the touch of an angel. Don't make the same mistake I made by waiting until my last two days. Go early so you can go often!

I plan to return to Chiapas one day to study Spanish, hopefully in the not too distant future. I already know the direction home...#2, Dr. Navarro. Or just follow the sun…

Room Tip: The shared bath rooms were excellent value, especially for single solo female.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My 3rd stay at Bela's and there is no place better. Homemade granola, fresh fruit and juice, bread and eggs for breakfast. As a guest you must have the wholesome Chiapanecan lunch cooked by Manuela. Bela gives her guests insight to the local cultures, shopping, history and sights to see that are to your liking. Her rooms are decorated in local textiles and hand-made items and her beds are SO comfortable! The local is perfect for exploring el centro and the Santa Domingo market. I will be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ajijic, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

So much more than expected by reading all the other reviews. Bela, her staff and the dogs were a pleasure to meet and interact with. The B&B itself is exceptionally equipped for the most comfortable and enjoyable visit to this magnificent locale. The location is a huge draw. Breakfast was a highlight, and I truly doubt could not be duplicated anywhere else in town. Bela proved to be a wealth of information regarding the city and my vacation will long be remembered. Without hesitation, I will stay with Bela when I return to SCDLC.

Room Tip: I was in the balcony room but all rooms are unique, charming and well equipped.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
The Dalles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Bela's is central to everything happening in San Cristobal. The hospitality was outstanding along with a lovely breakfast with excellent coffee. Bela was exceptional in providing information for special outings and tours. The rooms are very nice and everything works wonderfully. You won't be disappointed. Also there is an excellent masseuse available if you want to relax and get a class A + massage.

Room Tip: Higher rooms offer a view. Make sure you ask for a private bath if this is important to you.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bela's B&B? Share your experiences!