“First night in town” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Corner Brook, Canada
“First night in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Service good but bit aggressive on removing supposedly empty plates

Wine selection good for city but overpriced

Steaks tasty. Was warned they undercook the meat but found mine overcooked

Power went out for about an hour during our meal which enhanced our experienced

Ajijic, Mexico
“Terrible Food, Awful Service, Overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We went to this restaurant because we had just arrived in San Cristobal de Las Casas and didn't know any better. There were four of us. Everyone's meat was raw inside and so grisly we could hardly chew it. I think it was the worst piece of meat I have ever had. The meals were supposed to come with a salad. We had to ask repeatedly for our salad which arrived after we had finished our meal. The drinks tasted as if there was no alcohol in them. The cost was twice of any other restaurant we ate at in San Cristobal. Awful.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Average food, higher prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Argentine restaurants have the reputation of good beef. My Angus steak and ribs were fatty, overcooked and somewhat tasteless. I ordered them cooked "tres quartos" (3/4) as the "Chef recommends" on the menu. The ribs were so overcooked that I couldn't cut most of the meat from the bones. The steak had quite a lot of fat, more than would be acceptable in most restaurants. My wife ate the meat lasagna and liked it. My french fries were tasteless --- I ended up asking for black pepper and salt to provide some taste. Service was "speedy and attentive" --- a little less would be OK, there are a LOT of people working there without much to do. The building is quite nice, warm with high ceilings. The wine was average-to-low average and overpriced. In a city with good French food (El Chalet Frances), good Mexican food (El Paraiso) and good Italian food (Trattoria Italiana), I don't think El Argentino compares well.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Brilliant steak!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have lived in New York so I am pretty fussy when it comes to steaks. I had one of my best steaks ever at this place (better than any steak I have had in Australia and up there with the best New York steak houses). Be warned, that as a kiwi/Aussie you will need to order at least 1 notch above your normal preference eg If you normally order medium rare, order medium. There were 12 of us and we all raved about the steaks, particularly the one called chorizo (don't be fooled by the name, it has nothing to do with sausages)

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Not real Argentinian beef”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We were disappointed that the steaks we had were bland meat from Canada so it wasn't what we expected. Service a bit haphazard. Not recommended.

Visited February 2014