“Wonderful food” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant place and delicious steak I'm suggested to go to el Argentino and you won't disappoint!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Elkins, West Virginia
“Shameless-Tip Scam”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The first indication that we should be nervous was the guy down the block handing out promotional flyers, we usually avoid the places that try too hard to attract attention but we were in the mood for a nice Argentine steak. After being seated and ordering wine the waiter brings us a higher price wine than we requested. After much back and forth we got the wine we requested. His English is very good so I know that there was no miscommunication because of language. Our food was basically good and the service attentive. The real problem started with the bill. They deducted a 10% tip automatically from our change. This is not normally the custom here. If my husband hadn't checked the bill and change we may not have noticed and left an additional tip on the table to boot!!! So beware, double check your bill, don't give them your credit card (they will automatically charge the 10% tip unless you tell them otherwise).

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
qualicum beach
“Great food good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Argentine cuts of beef perfectly barbequed over natural charcoal. What could be better. The beef portions were large enough for two to share. The goat cheese and avocado salad was also a meal in itself so best shared. The empanadas were also good. All portions were plentiful and the staff was great..

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

San Cristobal de las Casas isn't the most centrally-located town in Mexico. In fact, finding fresh produce here can be a bit of a challenge. But El Argentino - somehow - manages to fetch the freshest, imported steak everyday. Coupled with exceptional service and a great location on the pedestrianised strip (just three blocks from the zocalo), this restaurant really excels.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Italy
“a scam, unfortunately...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

the original location has been destroyed by fire, as far understood, so they move around the cornet in a new setting that at present looks very bad. The restaurant is plenty of smoke so that I just wanted to finish my dinner as soon as possible.
The owner shown me a tray with several pieces of meat and I explicitely asked which one was the one that on the menu was cheaper than 200mxn. The meat I got was good, nothing to complain, but unfortunately it turned out as being the most expensive on the menu, i guess...
A steak and a small water (i.e. No wine at all) costed me 657MXN, that certainly is mora than the double I was willing to spend for what I ordered.
I was clearly disappointed even if a dinner will not change my life and I paid. The owner certainly understood that I was not happy, however San Cristobal is plenty of tourists spending there a few nights and that will never come back, so, you know...
I felt scammed so the dinner was something that I just want forget.
I think that 600MXN for a steak requires also a very good setting and the new one certainly is not, at present. I never went in the old one, but 8 saw it completely burned...
The bottom line is BEWARE OF WHAT U ORDER...
Of course I cannot recommend it to anyone. sorry.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere