“The best place in San Cristobal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Las Palomas

Save Saved
You added Hostel Las Palomas to your Saves list
Hostel Las Palomas
Guadalupe Victoria 47, Barrio de la Merced, San Cristobal de las Casas 29240, Mexico   |
London, United Kingdom
“The best place in San Cristobal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had such a lovely stay, the staff were really friendly and helpful. The room was much higher quality than I expected with really comfortable beds and my own chimney, I had a good sleep. The breakfast was lovely, a lot of fruits, pancakes and great coffee from Chiapas.

The location was great just 3 or 4 blocks from the cathedral, safe and comfortable.

Bianca and Bollo are a lovely, funny dogs!

Thanks to the staff I had a pleasant stay. I did not find this a problem at all. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a private room 5, was great with garden view. :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My favorite place in San Cristobal and I've stayed at several(4)! Stayed 2 weeks, couldn't have been better and plan to return on my next trip! Great friendly, courteous, helpful staff. Everyone went out of their way to make me feel welcome and to be helpful in every way. Always someone available that speaks English and willing to help with my poor Spanish. Social but quiet and relaxing and a great kitchen. Good central location in a nice neighborhood, tours to everywhere available at the desk with pickup at the door and knowledgeable staff to assist with arrangements. A hidden gem that I just stumbled upon due to not having reservations during Holy Week and made my stay totally enjoyable! If you come to San Cristobal in the winter you won't see me and it is COLD! None of the buildings have heat or insulation; it's the colonial charm. Thats why there's weather.com! Might want to check it out; I do.

Room Tip: Complete range of accommodations: dorms, rooms, family rooms, rooms w/bath. centrally located in a n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
León
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The staff is great ! BUT if you stay in a private room you will hear all that noise from the yard and the annoying lights too. When my boyfriend and i were here, they never telled us that will be a "party" on saturday night and we must wake up really early, around 5:00 am to take the airplane. When my angry boyfriend complained about it with the owner, she was so coarse that i feel sincere pity, is a beautiful place, the staff could not be better, but shame on the owner.

Room Tip: Don`t choose the private ones
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

I paid for a private room which is freezing.
I've been here three days now and my room hasn't been cleaned once. The beds are threadbare and the room is so cold that I've had to sleep in my clothes every night.
There is a fireplace in the room which I've spent hours trying to keep lit so that the room isn't as cold but it hasn't made much difference.

I asked for extra blankets and have these on my bed. These stink of the dog that lives here (as does the TV room).

You get charged for fire wood even though the rooms are freezing and there's no natural light (had to put lights on during the day when in the room).

Rooms are way over priced and I can't wait to leave so I can get a shower and be somewhere warm again.

The owner is rude to the staff - when I was there he told off a staff member for not letting me in quick enough when he was by the door at the time and the staff member was helping somebody else!

It's definitely a place where the owners have no interest in your comfort and just want to make as much money as possible.

The worst place I've stayed on my travels and certainly not the cheapest.

• Stayed January 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We've been there 5 nights during their winter season. FREEZING. My fault that I wasn't prepared for this cold but their fault as the rooms don't have heating.
I mean they have the fireplace...but with the humidity in there we didn't manage to fire it up!and we tried every night...we even poured tequila on the wood...!

Apart from this winter type inconvenience, everything else is lovely. The location, the backyard, the staff, the breakfast!
A youngster environment hostel :)

Enjoy the summer nights!

• Stayed December 2012
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here only for one night, but we liked the place. There is a dog, but it behaved nicely when we were staying here.
The rooms are cozy (we stayed in a double room with ensuite bathroom), and we liked the fireplace although we didn't have time to use it. Bathrooms, including communal, are kept very clean.
We liked the breakfast here, fresh pancakes were delicious and coffee was good.
Staff was friendly and helpful, especially the gringo guy who gave us tips and in general was very hospitable.
I can't think of any minuses except maybe the price for the double room is a bit too high (600 pesos), but then again, we travelled at the peak season.
All in all, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

While the courtyard of this place is quite welcoming and the staff are pretty friendly and helpful, our private room was horrible.
We were led to these "cabins" at the back of the building which were FREEZING cold, moldy and damp. The walls were also paper thin and we could hear everything from the other rooms.
The dorms did look better - but my advice is if you want a private room, don't stay here!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostel Las Palomas? Share your experiences!