“Much to choose from, huge portions” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Much to choose from, huge portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went here on our last night , after hearing from several other travelers that this was one of their favorites, okay, so they are all gringos. I would go there again because there were so many interesting things on the menu. We decided to order entradas, or appetizers to share, I liked the one I picked, a Jamaica dish, Jamaica baked into a horn made of some kind of corn tortilla thing, I also had tortilla soup, as that is something I try to get wherever I eat. The bisque was tasty, but I felt it was missing the epazote, which is the main spice. They served the ingredients on the side, the tortilla strips, the cheese, the avocados, which kept the tortilla strips crispy, all the way through the eating. Loved that. Also has chicarron (pork rind) pieces, which I'd never had before. I am glad I didn't have an entree, because after the appetizers, the soup, the salad (nopales, just ok) I was stuffed. I did order a coco flan for dessert, which was good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Santa Fe
“What a disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

During my month in Oaxaca I kept hearing about this restaurant. On my last night in the city, I decided I better try it. What a mistake! Being vegetarian, I just ordered one of their salads. I thought it was mediocre at best and overpriced. I should have trusted my intuition and left as soon as I arrived as the service was terrible. The staff were all running around with an air of such importance but greatly inefficient. I watched as myself and some nearby tables waited forever to even order. My arrogant waiter ended up abandoning me for what appeared to be a VIP group that came in after I ordered. I wasted much of my evening trying to get one of the others to even bring me my check. There are many great dining establishments in Oaxaca, but LaBiznaga is not one of them.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Worst dinning experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were visiting Oaxaca for the first time and in spite of some mixed reviews and the tag of a "tourist trap", we decided to give it a try. While the atmosphere seemed nice, the entrance of the place made us feel like we were entering a night club because of a rope that prevented us from entering it. The owner came by, who by the way was VERY rude and had this air of arrogance about him, told us that there would be a 20 minute wait and then disappeared without taking our names down.

Anyhow, we decided to wait for a table and after we were finally seated no one came by our table to take our order for about 20 minutes. When the food finally arrived (we ordered the shrimp and chicken), the only flavor that it had was that of excessive salt. Even the tortillas that came with the main entrees were stale and crisp, Long story short, save your money and time!!!! There is a lot of other good options in Oaxaca.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I found the food to be just fine and the atmosphere great! The ceiling was retracted so that while we were actually indoors it felt as if we were dining outdoors with a very eclectic group of people. Worth the visit......

Visited March 2013
Santa Monica, California
“Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I still think of the meal we ate there when ever I crave Mexican. - And I just got home from Baja, where all of the food fell short of the bar that Biznaga creates.

You should make an effort to lunch there if in Oaxaca, tranquil little oasis in a confusing city.

I was just looking through some old boxes of ephemera and found the Biznaga's little farewell chocolate. Reminded me how wonderful it was.

-Bonus... they will make you a fresh lime margarita in a to go cup.

• Visited April 2012