“Nice hotel- clean and quiet” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Casa del Sotano to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Hotel Casa del Sotano
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tinoco y Palacios 414 | Centro Histórico, Oaxaca C.P. 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 112 hotels in Oaxaca
Canyon Lake, Texas
“Nice hotel- clean and quiet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was our 4th trip to Oaxaca City and we rented the suite at Hotel Casa del Sotano which gave us plenty of room and having the sofa and table was a plus. The patio had a great view and the food each morning was excellent as was the coffee. The staff was helpful and the location was good for walking down to the zocolo and enjoying the festivities of Day of the Dead. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I can see why people like this hotel, it was attractive and welcolming, but as a few others have noted, our room was very small. After arriving from Mexico City and Puerto Escondido, where we had spacious quarters, we felt trapped in our tiny room. Perhaps it would have been okay for a single person, but not for a couple. The room was all bed without even a comfortable chair to sit in.By comparison, in Mexico City we had a two bedroom suite in the Zona Rosa for not much more than our room here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Hotel Casa del Sotano exceeded my expectations--and at a very reasonable price. As others have written, the hotel is charming, quiet, and very clean with a lovely garden patio. The location is about a 5 minute walk from Santo Domingo (the walk back has one fairly steep hill if you have any mobility issues). I had breakfast every morning on the rooftop patio and thought it was excellent (including the cafe latte) and the staff was very sweet. If you need wireless, it's available in the reception area, and sometimes from the room if yours is close to the front. I was alone so the room was big enough for my needs. My only "complaint" is that the weather was chilly than usual and since I'm always cold I found the room to be colder than I would like a couple of nights. I highly recommend the Case del Sotano.

Room Tip: The hotel says there is no wireless in the rooms, just the reception area, but if your room is close...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Hotel Casa del Sotano was quaint, cozy, classic and clean. Beautiful rooftop views of the city and cathedrals. Walking distance to dining, shopping and sites. Taxi arrangements were made on site for day drips. Made to order breakfast was available daily on one of the rooftop patios.

Room Tip: Rooms were small - service and atmosphere were wonderful. Would highly recommend room on a higher f...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I spent three nights at this hotel and was extremely pleased with everything. The staff was helpful, the food was authenic Oaxacan cuisine and the property itself was magnificent with the various flowers and vegetation inside the courtyard. The rooms were comfortable and absolutely no noise from outside while you sleep. This location is #1 on my list.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I loved everything about this hotel. I was traveling Solo. I stayed in two different rooms. I was only booked for 2 nights for my week but I checked out of my other hotel and back into Sotano for the remaining of my week. The location is near Santo Domingo. It was a one minute walk from my language school. There are lots of coffee shops, restaurants and shopping near by. The Zocalo is a 5-10 walk away. The on-sight rooftop restaurant serves very good breakfasts with a great view-especially at night. While I was there, a fellow and his son would come and sing. They were really good - it was special! There is a little bar downstairs open until 11. It was convenient to have it so close! The rooms are comfortable, clean, relatively quiet. One of my rooms had a little balcony which was nice to have.The interior courtyard and gardens are beautiful and provide a welcome respite from the busy city. All the folks who worked there were very friendly and helpful. Someone is on the desk 24 hours. It was perfect for me.

Room Tip: Having a room with a balcony was nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is my second time at the hotel. The new twist this time was the small cafe bistro at the front of the hotel. On our last night in Oaxaca, we ate at around 9pm with a few appetizers before closing out the day. The tamales were very tasty. The Guacamole was very good and fresh! They have fresh more healthful take on Nachos, sans the ugly cheddar that usually covers the traditional Nachos. The closer was a great aged mezcal called Yalreiin. I rarely drink hard liquor, but I found myself enjoying this very smooth flavorful mezcal. So much so, I bought a bottle to take home. The quality of the breakfast was very good. Very good taste and presentation on the chilaquiles with the green sauce. What it shows overall, is that the hotel staff is improving in all areas.

Room Tip: Wifi can be dicey in the rooms tucked way in the back. If you really need wifi, then ask for a room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Casa del Sotano? Share your experiences!