“We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Azucenas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Hotel Azucenas
You added Hotel Azucenas to your Saves list
Calle Prof M Aranda 203, Oaxaca 68000, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 110 Hotels in Oaxaca
Bellingham, Washington
“We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Hotel Azucenas is an extremely charming place and enhanced our stay in wonderful Oaxaca. We stayed in room 10 which cost a little more but was a bit bigger than other rooms and had corner rooftop view of the City. I tend to be sound sensitive and wondered if that room had sound exposure but we found the hotel to be very quiet at night. The rooms are not large but are arranged in a way that works, and the bathroom and sink in a separate nook are well laid out.
We also found that the space available extends beyond the room with a lovely downstairs courtyard and rooftop patio with tables and chairs and areas covered and uncovered. The building, a former residence, is lovely, and the owner has chosen very pretty artisanal furniture and items for the walls and has cultivated very nice plantings upstairs and down.

Our experience was that the hotel was very well run, the rooms and common areas were kept spic and span, the staff was friendly and happy to assist, and the owner was extremely helpful with suggestions and arrangements.

I really have no criticism. If you want an American style hotel this is not for you. But if you want to feel you have settled into a place which reflects the special ambience of Oaxaca but also has
English spoken, we recommend this accommodation.

Mary and Hal

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Hi MaryfromWA…thanks for writing, and for all of your kind words!!
When I first decided to open a little hotel in the center of Oaxaca my priorities were that it look and be truly Mexican (but with Canadian-style attention to detail; that it provide LOTS of assistance so that guests could really see and enjoy Oaxaca (I used to manage a university student service department)…and that it have a truly wonderful rooftop for relaxing and enjoying the view of the city and the mountains (I had recently stayed in a small hotel in Istanbul, which was also one of the first in that city to take advantage of their rooftop).
Your review lets me know that we succeeded! Thanks again, Donna and the staff of Hotel Azucenas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I loved this place!! It was the perfect refuge to return to after a day of roaming. Breakfasts on the rooftop were classic and cocktail hour there was a great time to catch up with the other guests and unwind. The staff knows Oaxaca and surrounds VERY well and made several suggestions to out-of-the-way places that made the stay a delightful adventure. The rooms are clean, quiet, comfortable and safe, an important consideration for those of us who travel alone.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Dan M – we appreciate the compliments!
And it’s great to hear that you enjoy the social aspect of our terrace…most hotels don’t have a common area for guests to enjoy outside their rooms…and we love seeing guests arrive alone or in pairs, and then head out later with new friends…Donna
Sequim, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay in Hotel Azucenas, it was the perfect refuge at the end of a busy day exploring Oaxaca and the little villages out in the valley. The staff was attentive, helpful and knowledgable. One receptionist arranged a private tour out to see the ruins of Yagul and see the Sunday market in Tlacolula - and it worked out great. Staff seemed genuinely eager to show off the best of Oaxaca and made some good restaurant recommendations including the Biznaga (tasty high-cuisine Mexican) and drinks at El Olivo (tapas and Mexican micro-brews). We went back twice to El Olivo.

I am dubious of the reviews here that mention noise and Hotel Azucenas in the same breath. My room had a window onto the downstairs patio and I mostly left it open. The main noise I got from the hotel was the little fountain trickling during the day - and they even shut that off at night. Night time was wonderfully quiet.

One night I went up to their rooftop terrace to grab a beer and enjoy the view of the city and was surprised to find other guests hanging out up there as well. I assumed, from the lack of noise, that there wasn't anyone else in the hotel at the time!

I made the ten minute walk up from the pleasant urban park at the city center with a friend one day and when we entered the hotel and shut the door behind us he commented that it was the quietest place we had been all afternoon. He was right. The hotel is away from the main city streets and sits at the intersection of a narrow one-lane street and a small alley that doesn't see much traffic at all. The neighborhood itself was extremely quiet and safe at night - locals commonly walk in the middle of the street because there is almost no traffic.

I found the hotel quiet and the staff very friendly and helpful. But more than that it was a lovely and well-cared for hotel that had a good feeling to it. Definitely my first choice on any return trip to Oaxaca.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thanks Kame9!!
For mentioning our concierge-style service – we have much more information available than does the Oaxaca Tourism Office…and we like helping people!
Thanks, too, for mentioning that the hotel is generally quiet…Saludos, Donna
Sacramento, California, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Just finished two sleepless nights here compounded by indifferent service. Avoid room 1 like the plague. Not only do you get street noise, you get to hear everything that goes on at the reception desk, the ring if the entry bell at all hours, and the staff chatter at 5 am from the much-acclaimed roof (the bathroom has an opening to the roof that can't be shut). When I asked for one of their advertised white noise machines they said they didn't have any left to use. Apparently I wasn't the only one bothered. Oh and the note from the manager here that they don't allow small children is false. I saw (and heard) two under 4 as well.

If thats not bad enough, When I checked in, I barely got a welcome. When I checked out, the reception desk staff wrote out the bill and then didnt look up when finished. I had to ask if there was anything else. She said no and returned to her desk without a simple thank you or have a nice trip.

The stay here was a marked contrast to my other stays in Oaxaca, a city with friendly locals who appreciate their guests.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
We very much regret your view of our hotel, Vesperado. We appreciate your mention of problems you encountered, but are sorry that you didn’t point them out during your visit so we could attend to them as quickly as possible.
We continue to have a policy of only accepting children 6 years or older. At the time of your stay we did have 2 younger children visit for about an hour with their grandparents during breakfast one morning. We don’t have 2 staff on until later in the morning, so I’m not sure what you heard at 5 am.
We are always pleased to welcome our guests; it’s our chance to make sure they know that we are available to help them enjoy their stay. We always explain to guests the list of hotel services available (as well as giving them a list that they take to their rooms), maps of the city and region, a list of recommended restaurants and information sheets on local transportation and guide services.
The hotel is in what was once a large family home. Restored to its colonial charm, updated for comfort – but still mostly of the traditional materials – adobe, clay brick and tile. We’ve added sound-proofing doors/windows across the front. We’re located on a side street that is quieter than the main city streets, but is still full of all the sounds of a busy residential neighborhood. This hotel has delighted thousands of guests, is one of the top-ranked hotels in Oaxaca on tripadvisor, but is probably not appropriate for the most sound-sensitive.
The morning after Vesperado left the hotel the guest who had just spent a night in the same room happened to mention, spontaneously, that she’d “had a great sleep”! The hotel works wonderfully for lots of people.
Saludos cordials, Donna
Culpeper
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I enjoyed my 9 days stay at this hotel. I give this hotel 5 stars for their customer service. My mornings were spent eating breakfast at the rooftop. I especially give thanks to Donna, Daniela and Ale for making me feel welcome. As a Deaf person who has traveled to far away places like Korea, Japan, etc, I felt very safe but I can't say much about the noise level but this place is not carpeted and it has ceramic floors. The rooms are small but very comfortable and clean. It was fun to go shopping to El Mercado Central de Abasto with Donna and her staff to buy decorations for the Day of the Dead altar and helping them decorate it. This hotel is near restaurants and museums and everyday I would step out to the streets in search of a new place to eat. I walked most of the time.. I hope to come back to visit again in a year or 2.

James

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hi JTR!
It was a real pleasure to have you with us!
Thanks especially for mentioning our customer service…we want our guests to feel comfortable here, and to help them with whatever they need to go out and SEE the city.
We’d love to see you again, Donna, Ale, Daniela & the rest of the staff of Hotel Azucenas
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hotel Azucenas is a small boutique hotel in Oaxaca. Its best feature is the rooftop garden with self serve bar including a delicious home made mezcal and an amazing view. The rooms are small and nothing special but the hotel itself has great concierge service and a great price. It is 4 blocks from the pedestrian area near Santo Domingo and 8 blocks from the zocolo. Kind of far to walk more than once a day. Uphill the last 2. A taxi is cheap but with traffic, slower than walking. I walked down, taxied back. All of Oaxaca centro is noisy so that is in all but the big hotels. I skipped the breakfasts, just took coffee on the rooftop. If you like small hotels with a local feel, you will do well.

Room Tip: room 10 is right on the roof top but is extra. Patio rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Hi zydecoal!
Thanks for recognizing our “concierge service”!! We don’t just hand you a map, but can explain the various ways to get around the city and the region, help you make reservations for or figure out where to catch buses, suggest sites that aren’t in the guide books, point out new restaurants…or just help you find something special you’re looking for. We know you want to explore and… We try to help you SEE Oaxaca!
And thanks for mentioning our delicious mescal – the perfect drink to accompany the fabulous view from our Rooftop Terrace!
Saludos, Donna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Stayed during busy period of Day of the Dead. Donna, the Canadian-born owner, invited the guests to go shopping with her at the local market to buy supplies for the hotel's Day of the Dead altar. Guests were invited in advance to bring photos of their departed loved ones to add to the altar.

The hotel has comfortable rooms with excellent beds. The staff is attentive and helpful. Location is within easy walking distance of the zocalo. Excellent breakfasts and good value.

• Stayed November 2012
hotelerisima, Owner at Hotel Azucenas, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thanks for writing, Lawrence!
And for participating in the building of our hotel altar for the Days of the Dead. We’ve had guests from all over the world help us each year, and post photos of those they’ve lost… It’s a wonderful and meaningful ceremony that lets one remember with affection, and a smile.
It sounds like you liked everything else about the hotel, too…so muchas gracias! Donna

Been to Hotel Azucenas? Share your experiences!